The Harem's Lessons Ch. 04

Story Info
The plot thickens for Lord Bael and his harem
5.8k words
4.75
23.8k
7

Part 4 of the 4 part series

Updated 09/22/2022
Created 09/07/2005
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The fever had lasted two days. The wounds on the harem woman's back had turned bright red with infection, and Cayn had been forced to use much of their limited water supply to clean them. Having spent so much of his life in the field, bandaging her wounds with the tattered remains of her clothing was second nature to him. His own tunic was all he had to clothe her, which would have made him grateful for the warmth of his cloak had he not needed it to keep her from freezing to death during the cold desert nights. Still, he was an officer of the Desert Lord's army, and he had braved worse conditions than this.

Cayn found himself silently thanking the raiders on more than one occasion, as the supplies in the shelter, no doubt stolen, were all that had kept them alive. There was food, water, and a few nights supply of firewood. The small cave held the warmth of a fire fairly well, and protected them from the wind. None the less, he had to wonder how many Shadorian soldiers in how many supply lines had died so that this hideout could be so well-stocked. The words of the old sword master who had taught him as a child echoed through his brain, It is a soldier's place to die so that others may live.

It was the third day when the sandstorm began, and the horse had to join them inside the cave. The beast required such upkeep that, had Cayn been by himself, he would have slaughtered it for it's meat. However, traveling the desert would have been slow, even if the lady had not been wounded. Under present circumstances Cayn dared not give up their mount. Ah well, at least the sandstorm will take care of what the vultures did not, Cayn thought of the three corpses he had stacked several hundred yards outside of the cave. Cayn had seen people do terrible things in the war, but he had never been so happy to dispose of human remains.

The wind howled outside the cave and Cayn surmised by the diminishing light from the entrance of their shelter and the rapidly dropping temperature that night was approaching. He threw another log onto smoldering embers and breathed some life back into the fire. Then he sat back, allowing the warmth to penetrate his bare chest, and thought.

The woman's fever had long-since broken, but still she did not wake. Cayn had more than enough time to think. Sometimes, he planned how they would leave, other times his thoughts drifted to the past.

Ariya... If Cayn was good at one thing, it was listening. And her name had been in his ears so often lately that he could scarcely get it out. Her refusal of Bael was something of a legend around the kingdom. The harem had always generated rumor and controversy that delighted the Highborn and common people alike. Never before had such a story excited them so, for no woman had ever been able to resist Lord Bael's charms. Not Princesses, barmaids, or anyone in between.

"Brother, this woman is driving me mad." Cayn had listened the day that Bael had propositioned his harem woman to journey across the desert. His lord had been flawlessly calm in his request, but the moment she had left the room, he fell to pieces, "She is beautiful beyond words, fierce as the desert sun, and yet I cannot make her want me."

"She is a woman of your harem, what she wants does not matter." Cayn had answered flatly.

"You don't understand, brother, I cannot take her that way... I almost did once... and how I wanted to... I could have, and yet, now I know that to simply have her would not be enough. I want her to desire me, as I desire her." Bael growled in frustration, "But she cannot stand me, Cayn, and her refusal only makes me want her more. No woman has ever made me feel this way before. So angry, so tormented, and yet so excited."

Cayn had not known what to say, so he he did what he felt best in such situations and said nothing. His brother had continued on lamenting until he fell hoarse and went to find some wine, and most likely some unfortunate servant girl to serve it to him.

The sound of Ariya stirring brought Cayn out of his head. She was whimpering and tossing restlessly. He knelt by her, is she having a nightmare? I don't know what to do...

His mind went to all of the men he had seen die during the war. He thought of the tears that streamed down their faces, mixing with blood and sweat, and he thought of the way each one had gripped his hand, as if trying to cling to this world. Or perhaps they just needed human contact. A light in the darkness, to guide their way to the next place. Cayn found her hand, and gave it a light squeeze. To his surprise, she quieted, and fell into a calm and peaceful sleep once more. He brushed a stray strand of hair from her face and studied her for a moment.

He had never seen Bael so torn up over a pair of breasts before. But then, no woman had ever refused to spread her legs for him. We seem to desire most that which we cannot have, he mused.

If his brother had been the only one talking about her, he would not have been irritated, but soon Cayn's men were speaking of her as well. "I'll bet I could bed her," he heard as he walked through the tents of soldiers, "She would take one look at my dick and beg for me to stick it in her."

"The problem with that is that she would have to be able to find it first. Now, me, on the other hand, I'd show her who is in charge. Can't let a woman have too much freedom, that's his lordship's problem. I'd bend her right over and take what I wanted."

It did not stop with the soldiers. It seemed every man in Border Keep wanted between her thighs, and every woman wanted to be her. Cayn had hoped that he could avoid her by sending Kir in his stead to help her with preparations for their journey, but to no avail.

Still, his duty was foremost in his mind as they set off into the desert. He had promised Lord Bael that he would keep her safe, and that he would do everything he could to ensure the success of their mission. Someone would have to stay on the slod to guard her, and Cayn did not trust anyone else not to be tempted by her.

Cayn found that once in her presence, irritation had quickly given way to curiosity. What was it about her that seemed to attract so much attention? Her beauty was undeniable, but then there were many beautiful women in the world. So Cayn did what he did best, he listened, and he watched.

At first observation seemed to confirm his suspicions, that this woman was nothing particularly special. The first time he doubted this was the night she had happened upon him bathing at the oasis. When he grabbed her, her first instinct had been to fight. There was something wild about the look in her eyes that night, something that Cayn had only seen in spirited horses and the caged beasts he'd seen at festivals. Their eyes said that they would never be tamed, and that they would fight for freedom as long as their was breath in their bodies. This woman was more than a wild animal, though, for she had a mind that did not stop working. She was disciplined and dedicated to her studies, something that Cayn could appreciate. When she was not reading she seemed deep in thought, her eyes were never blank or empty. Her depth of feeling was fascinating, she could go from being completely frustrated to smiling in a matter of seconds without being superficial about either, and with complete commitment to each.

As they began to speak, Cayn discovered that she was not so different from him. She felt a strong loyalty to her people, and thought only of freeing them from the binds of war and oppression. He had grown fond of her these past few weeks. When he saw the raiders riding off with her, all sense of duty had fled him. That which drove him to kill an unlucky raider and take his horse, to track her captors to this cave and slay them, to tend her wounds and care for her... was not duty to his brother, but concern for her. It frightened him.

Cayn shook his head to wake himself. He had been so lost in his thoughts that he had not seen the light of dawn creeping into the cave. The wind had died down some, and Cayn thought he saw horizon in the distance. I must have fallen asleep, he thought. The horse whinnied from where it stood in the corner of the cave. "Very well, breakfast for all of us." Cayn said, and moved to stand. It was only then that he noticed that his hand still held hers.

***

Lord Bael was sleeping when Mila burst into his room, "My lord, please wake up. There is urgent news."

It was no secret that the servants always new everything first, and Bael took full advantage of this by employing a few of them as spies in his keep. His little birds, he called them. Loyalty of these women was easily bought. To Mila, he had promised a child, if she served him loyally for ten years. Any child that he acknowledged, however illegitimate, would be worth a fine house and a generous salary for the duration of the child's lifetime, a proposition that was too good to pass up for a girl of low birth like Mila. Her information always proved valuable and Lord Bael enjoyed the added bonus of being able to "practice" with the pretty young woman at his leisure.

He pulled Mila into bed with him, half asleep, hands moving over her breasts, and following the shape of her curvy body, "Ah, my little bird, I love it when you wake me."

"My lord, please... there is something I must tell you."

"Surely it can wait until after we've had some practice... how many more years is it now?"

"I do not count my lord, for I enjoy serving you and rue the day that my service ends."

"What a handsome liar you are, clever little bird, but no matter. Remove that offensive clothing from my sight."

"Forgive me, my lord, but this news cannot wait..."

All thoughts of sex instantly fled him as Mila divulged the grim news. He jumped out of bed and grabbed a pair of trousers. His fingers shook as he tried to lace them, and he swore loudly. In the end, Mila had to help him. He didn't bother with a shirt, he was out the door and down the hallway toward the General's quarters, one of his bodyguards close at his heels.

One of the General's men stood guard outside the door. Inside the room, Bael could hear the loud clamor of several men arguing in loud panicked voices. As Bael reached to open the door, the guard stopped him.

"Forgive me, My Lord, but the General's physician has ordered that no one enter this room."

"This is my keep, not his, now stand aside." Bael said calmly. The guard did not budge. Bael felt anger well up inside him, but it was his bodyguard, Radek, who addressed the guard next.

"You will stand aside for Lord Bael of Border Keep." Radek was more a siege tower than a man. At his height, the guard was on eye level with the massive ebony masses of sinew and muscle that were Radek's arms, although even they were less threatening than the serious, unforgiving look of his face. It took the guard only a moment to decide that his pay grade was not high enough to tangle with this giant. He stepped aside and allowed Lord Bael into the General's Chambers.

Instantly Lord Bael knew that Mila's information had proven accurate once again. The room smelled strongly of death. A couple of men in armor surrounded the bed, blocking Bael's view of it's occupant. At the side of the bed was a hunched old man with parchment skin and gnarled fingers. Tufts of white hair shot from his head with no particular sense of order. When he heard the door opened, he whirled around with surprising speed, "I thought I said that no one was to come in here!" The strength of the old man's voice was startling and his eyes were bright and aware. He eyed Lord Bael first, and then Radek, face nodding with understanding, "I see, I see. So it has already come to that, has it? Very well, young Lord, come and see for yourself."

Lord Bael approached the bed gingerly. He had seen death only once before, his father, years ago. The eerie stillness of his corpse had lingered in his mind, giving him nightmares for weeks. General Tsogai had much the same look, pale and drained, jaw slack, although thankfully someone had closed his eyes. Bael felt his stomach lurch, but managed to choke out a couple of bleak words, "So he's..."

"Stone dead, my Lord. Please, follow me, you look as though you need some air." The old man led Bael out onto the balcony and shut the door.

"How? From what...?" Lord Bael could barely force the words out. The old man looked behind them at the other men around the bed, then back at Bael.

"Listen, Lord. I am Chreas, the General's physician. I am afraid that I have naught but grave news for you."

"Was he murdered?"

"I wish that question had a simple. It is my belief that the General died of a weak heart. He had been coming to me for some time now, complaining of a tightness in his chest. However, I was sworn to secrecy on this matter. The General had to remain a vision of strength to the people, and news of a serious health condition would have been detrimental to the kingdom. Now I have informed the men you see behind me of this, but I fear the General's ruse was so good that many of them do not believe that his death could have been natural. They are convinced foul play was involved and demanding that someone be punished. With no record of his illness, as his physician even I am suspect. I am too old to arrest without suitable grounds, but I am not the only one who will be accused. They have sent for the Verdictum. Our lives are going to become very difficult, Lord Bael."

Lord Bael felt his heart sink, "Where's Nelana?"

"Nelana? You mean the woman who was in here when he died? She's been taken to the dungeons for questioning."

"Why did no one summon me? The woman belongs to me."

"Until the King determines that the General was not murdered by one of your people, his army will seize control of your Keep. You will be kept in a comfort suitable to your stature, but ultimately you are now a prisoner in your own home. I am sorry, but the most I can do for you now is warn you. No doubt Captain Jinyan has already dispatched men to collect you."

"Captain Jinyan?"

"A man of little importance yesterday, but with the General's death he is in charge here, so it is a name you soon become quite familiar with. Now, this conversation has continued far past what is safe. Return to your room."

Bael turned and walked back through the General's room. He could feel suspicious gazes burrowing into him as he passed by the men at the General's bedside. I am Lord of this Keep, he reminded himself and paid them no mind.

He did not make it far, armed soldiers were waiting for him just outside the doors.

"Come with us, please, My Lord." The spears in their hands told him that it was not a request. Bael saw Radek's hand go to his sword hilt, and quickly waved him off.

"Return to your quarters and wait." He told his bodyguard. Radek gave a half nod and left without question. Bael allowed the guards to escort him, walking tall and proud as befit the Lord of Border Keep. He wasn't sure where they were taking him, but he expected it would be his room, the dungeons, or perhaps for an audience with this Captain Jinyan.

When he saw the double doors in front of him, he wanted to laugh and cry at the same time. A comfort suitable to my stature indeed, he said to himself. The guards opened the doors and led him into what was to be his prison: the harem.

***

The woman who sat by the fire was a shell of the Ariya that Cayn knew. She had awoken as the sun had set and had since been huddled near the fire with Cayn's cloak pulled tightly around her, staring into the flames with the wide eyes of a frightened child. The slightest noise made her jump: a crackle from the fire, the wind outside, the cry of a bird in the distance.

Cayn handed her a small piece of dried meat, "Eat. You will need your strength, for tomorrow we must leave." She put the meat to her mouth and tried to bite, then winced and put a hand to her cheek. The side of her face was one massive bruise. Cayn cursed himself for his stupidity. "Here." He took the dried meat from her and poured some water into a cast iron pot, placing the meat inside. For a few minutes he let the pot sit in the fire, before removing it and fishing the meat back out. After it had cooled a bit, Cayn was glad to see that it had softened. Ariya chewed slowly, and each swallow looked excruciating, but she managed to keep the food down.

They sat in silence around the fire, and Cayn prayed for sleep to take one of them. It was not very often that he found quiet unsettling, but he could not bear to look at her hollow face and search for words. "How are your wounds?" He tried tentatively. She did not reply. "You can ride the horse until you get your strength back. I can walk for miles, it's what soldiers do. I can lead the horse while you..."

The tear that fell down her cheek caught the light of the fire. Then another followed, and another, until her face was streaked with them. "My lady?" His heart leap into his throat. She sobbed, and her hand reached up as if to keep more from escaping her lips, but they came unbidden. "My lady?!" He crawled frantically to her side, "What's wrong?" He heard another sob and he felt his body move on it's own. He seized her shoulders and turned her to face him, "Ariya!"

Their eyes locked, his filled with concern and hers with tears. Her fear, her agony, and her humiliation shot through him like a lance. He felt his heart pounding. Then his arms locked around her, pulling her against his bare chest. The tears ran from her cheek down his torso and her muffled cries seemed to resonate into his body. With his arms, he wrapped her tightly in a shell of protection and safety.

Her sobs seemed to continue forever, and Cayn was not sure exactly when they stopped and she fell into a deep and much-needed sleep. But by then his eyes were getting heavy...

***

Lord Bael woke to the gentle pressure of Tarla's slender hands on his shoulders. The ground underneath him was ridiculously comfortable, and he must have drifted off to sleep during his massage. "How are you feeling, Master?" Tarla's voice was as soothing as her hands.

"Mmm, Tarla my pet, if I didn't know any better I would say I was on holiday and not a prisoner in my own castle." A part of Lord Bael had always dreamed of this. Nothing to do but enjoy the comforts and pleasures of his women all day long, not a care in the world. Let this Captain Jinyan try to run my province, if that is his desire. Bael scolded himself for the thought. He was in a world of trouble now, it was not the time to be thinking of earthly pleasures. I should be focused on how to avoid being charged with conspiracy and murder, but with the scenery who can blame me? There was so much unknown about the situation.

His greatest worry was for Nelana, he could only hope that she would be safe and that they would quickly discover that she had nothing to do with General Tsogai's death. Attempting to speak with the soldiers that guarded the harem doors was useless. Mindless creatures would barely look at him, let alone answer his questions. Bael wondered if perhaps Captain Jinyan would want an audience with him, but it seemed more likely that he would not be allowed out of the harem until the Verdictum arrived from the capital.

Verdictum were bad news, Lord Bael had only met with a Verdictum Priest a handful of times, and it was never an experience to be excited for. Verdictum were a sect of strict loyalists to the crown. Three hundred years ago King Ler'liu had gathered his most loyal and trustworthy subjects as upholders of the law and protectors of the divinity of the royal family. The men of the Verdictum were called Priests because they dedicated themselves religiously to these duties. Upon entering the Order, they forsook their names and their families. They took no wives, fathered no children, and owned nothing. They lived to serve as judge and jury to any who stood accused of treason against the crown. As the years passed, they gained a reputation for cruelty and struck fear into the subjects of Shadoria. Of course, fear could be useful to a King, especially when he had others to do his dirty work for him. None the less, it was widely whispered, albeit very quietly, that the Verdictum had their own political agenda, and widely accepted that one should do whatever they could to avoid crossing them.

12