The Hawkins Place

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Chapter Seven

It was Thursday and I felt it was time for another break. I gave Andy a hundred dollar bonus and told him not to come back for a week. I needed a rest, I needed an Aggie fix, and it had to be more than her fixing me dinner. While I was on my lunch break I had called Aggie and told her not to fix dinner and get fixed up because I was taking her out. Murphy doesn't have a lot of fancy places for dining but Doyles Cedar Hill was a nice place to get a steak. For me, steak was a treat. Steak in a restaurant was a very rare treat.

I pulled into Aggie's drive and went for her like she was my date. Looking back, that's exactly what she was. When she came to the door I smiled. "I'm going to be so proud to be seen with you. You look wonderful." Aggie smiled and kissed me on the cheek.

"You know Nate; you may well get talked about, dating an older woman."

"They could never guess your age and even if they knew, I couldn't care less. I'm honored to have you on my arm."

"Nate, you are so dangerous."

Doyles was close so we were seated and having wine in no time. I noticed a couple of women look at us but I was sure it was because we found the skeleton. If not, oh well.

I toasted Aggie and apologized for being so absent the last several weeks. "I'm anxious to show you the kitchen. I officially pronounced it done last night."

"I can't wait. I know how hard you've worked on it. You're about done with the downstairs aren't you?"

"All but the room off the kitchen and that will be no big deal."

"Have you given any thought about what you'll do after the house is completely done?"

"None. It seemed so far off I didn't worry about it, but the project is going so much faster than I would have ever guessed. Instead of three years as I'd planned it will take me less than two."

"You have been going at it like a demon. I'm not surprised of your progress, but I can't see you staying there and working for Lowe's the rest of your life. You are too restless and ambitious for that."

"I'm sure I'll have to do something, but I don't know what, and it still seems too far away to worry about." We had a nice dinner then I asked Aggie if I could show her my kitchen.

When we pulled up Aggie said, "Have you taken the time to just look at this place recently? You have transformed it and should be very proud it."

"Thank you Aggie. I have been taking photos of everything, so one day I can look back on it all." We went in and I told her to close her eyes and I walked her to the kitchen. "Okay now open your eyes." Aggie just looked around not saying a word. She opened doors and looked at it from different angles.

"Nate, this is your best work yet. You should be very proud of it." Then she gave me a hug. We poured some wine and went back to the living room. We talked, laughed and just enjoyed being together. Aggie was getting sleepy so I walked her home, kissed her and hugged her then went home to bed.

It was Saturday morning and I was having coffee on the porch when Aggie came walking over with something in her hand. "Morning Nate."

"Morning love."

That made Aggie smile and say, "Thanks Nate that sounded nice. I have something to show you."

"I've seen it but I'd love to see it again."

Again Aggie smiled and said, "You're going to distract me and then I'll forget what I came over for."

"Go ahead. I'll behave myself for a little while."

"I found something in one of the journals that I think you'll find interesting. While you read that I'll get myself some coffee." I opened to the marked page and started to read it. I found nothing of major interest until I got about half way down. There, dated November tenth, nineteen fifty seven it said, "My darling little Kent passed on this morning. He has been sick for so long and suffered so, at least he is with the Lord now, is at peace and..." Whoever wrote it didn't finish. Aggie came out with her coffee and said, "I think we know for sure who we found now."

"It looks like it. We better call the police I guess. I've wondered different times if the Hawkins have been in a lot of trouble over this."

"I have to think it hasn't been pleasant for them, but with Allan dead they won't know who did what."

I called the police and we waited for them on the porch. A detective came walking up and introduced himself, saying, "My name is Max Halverson but please just call me Hal."

I said, "Pull up a chair Hal. We have something for you to read."

Aggie said, "Can I get you some coffee Hal?"

"Thanks, I'd like that." Sweet Aggie was being the hostess for me.

When Aggie came back with the coffee Hal had just finished reading the entry and said, "That explains a lot doesn't it."

"I think it does yes." Hal thought a minute then said, "They had to be a strange family."

Aggie smiled and said, "They did have strange ways that's for sure, but considering how private they were I guess they didn't want others involved in their grief. I'll never understand why they didn't bury him, but I guess it was no different than putting him in a crypt." Hal thanked us for calling and asked to keep the journal for the time being, and then he made small talk, finished his coffee and left. Aggie said she was marking different entries that she thought I might find interesting sometime then said she had some shopping to do and left.

The following week I replaced the windows and a lot of the trim in the room off the kitchen, while Andy cleaned everything and started to paint. By Friday night we were ready to lay new flooring. I asked Andy if he was ready to try his hand and put down the flooring by himself. That seemed to make him happy, so the plan was to move my bedroom furniture to another bedroom so I could start up there and he could lay flooring.

It was getting late in the season and my mornings on the porch were numbered. I hated winters confinement. I tried to call Aggie then remembered she was spending the weekend with family so I was alone to ponder my future.

As I sat there I noticed an older woman, maybe seventy years old and a younger woman that I guessed to be thirty, standing out by the street looking at the house and talking. I waited a minute wondering if they were selling something, but they didn't have that feel to them. They finally walked up the drive and approached me. "Excuse us, but we were admiring what you are doing to the old Hawkins place, I hope you don't mind."

"Thank you. I don't mind at all. Could I get you two some coffee or some sweet tea?"

"That's so kind of you yes." The ladies settled in chairs and I got the older one coffee and the younger one tea.

Once I was seated the older one said, "I'm Grace Greer and this is my daughter Alice."

"I'm pleased to meet you both." I was having trouble not staring. Grace was just that. Grace personified. She was a very pretty lady with perfect posture, so very composed and dressed impeccably. Alice was very pretty. She was striking, and like her mother, had perfect posture though dressed more casually, and made wonderful eye contact.

I asked, "Are you familiar with the old Hawkins place?"

"I haven't seen it in years but yes, I was once very familiar with the house."

"Would you like to see it? I'm not done by any means. It's a work in progress."

Mrs. Greer looked at me and said, "Restoring an old house like this is like a close loving relationship. It will always be a work in progress."

"That's a beautiful way to put it Mrs. Greer."

"Please call me Grace."

"Thank you, I'm Nate. Nate Walters." "I'm pleased to meet you Nate and yes we'd love to see it if you don't mind. Would another time be better for you?"

"Now would be wonderful, please come in."

Chapter Eight

When they entered the foyer Grace just stopped for a minute and looked, saying nothing. It was like she was traveling back in time. Alice stayed behind her standing closer to me. While Grace looked at the house I looked at Alice. I'd seen the house before.

Grace stepped in a little farther taking slow, short hesitant steps, looking first one way and then another. Finding her voice she said, "You have done such a wonderful job Nate. It's just like I remember it." Her voice had a weak sad quiver to it. I didn't want to talk. I wanted to let her just stay in the past for as long as she wished. She knew this house well apparently. Maybe she could share some stories with me sometime. Alice stayed back with me looking around, but also closely watching her mother relive the past. Grace cleared her throat and tentatively asked, "Have you done the library yet Nate?"

"It is done, and I'm pleased with the outcome, but it's full of old memories of the house. Dusty and unsorted."

"May I?"

"But of course." I opened the large double doors and stepped back for Grace. She didn't move. It was clear she was crying now, softly and quietly. I stepped into the bathroom and got her a couple of tissues. Grace dabbed at her eyes and stepped back.

"I'm sorry Nate. I didn't think the memories would be so fresh and strong."

"There is no need to apologize Grace. Would you like to continue, just have coffee or would you like to come back another day?"

"I'd love to come back another day if it wouldn't be inconvenient."

"I'd love to have you come back."

"Perhaps we should call first the next time."

"It isn't necessary to call ahead as I'm here most weekends, but I'll give you my number if you're more comfortable with that." That done the ladies thanked me several times and left.

That was so touching. I hoped they would come back. Grace and Alice impressed me to say the least, and the house seemed of great significance to Grace. I hoped to talk to her and I really wanted to see Alice again. I sat on the porch and thought about them for quite a while as I did my best to finish the pot of coffee. I was anxious to tell Aggie but I wouldn't see her before Monday or Tuesday.

I was at loose ends Sunday. I didn't realize how much I relied on Aggie for my social needs as well as everything else. I walked around the yard, which was something I'd done little of since Andy was keeping it mowed for me. I stepped off the area where I wanted to build the garage in the spring and mentally designed it to look like a coach house. I was getting highbrow taste on a lowbrow budget. I wandered back to the house just as the phone rang. I was surprised when it was Alice calling for her mother.

"Would it be possible for us to stop by this afternoon?" My mother won't be in town after tomorrow and I'd hate for her to wait until her next visit to see the house."

"I'd love to have the two of you back. Pick a time that's convenient for you."

"How about one?"

"That would be fine. I look forward to seeing you."

"Thank you Nate, you are being so considerate." I spent an hour or so sketching my new carriage house garage at the kitchen table. The design came to me so clearly and quickly. I knew exactly what I wanted it to look like.

The ladies pulled in the drive promptly at one. "Good afternoon ladies."

"Hello Nate. Thank you so much for putting up with us."

"You are welcome here anytime, please come in." We entered the foyer again and once again Grace stopped and looked. She seemed a little more in control this time but was still very quiet.

"May I see the library again Nate?"

"Grace, please feel free to wander the house at will. I have no secrets. I also don't have much furniture yet. When I'm done remodeling I'll have to get professional help with that most likely if I'm to capture the spirit of the house." Grace smiled at me then looked in the library, but seemed more interested in the things Aggie and I had dragged out. I motioned for Alice to join me for coffee. Grace would likely be a while.

"Would you like some coffee Alice?"

"I'd love some." I poured coffee and we sipped our coffee in silence and watched Grace pour over all the dusty treasures. She was getting filthy but she didn't care. I watched her as she slowly and tenderly ran her hand over the gun in the open case. She would pick something up from the dusty pile, look at it and gently lay it back down. I could swear her whole life was being relived in minutes. When she picked up an old toy truck she held it and stared at the wall for several minutes tears running down her cheeks.

"Alice, your mother looks like she could use a little brandy when she comes out."

"Nate, I think that would be a life saver for her. She is having a hard time with this but I couldn't keep her away."

"She must have quite a history with this house."

"Yes, quite a history."

Grace finally came out dabbing at her eyes. I got up and helped her sit down. I didn't ask Grace, I just handed her a snifter with a splash of brandy in it. "Nate, you are a darling, thank you." Her voice seemed stronger like she'd made the journey and had returned. I waited for Grace to take a couple of sips of brandy.

"Maybe after you have seen the rest of the house, if you're up to it, I could talk you into telling me a little about the house."

"I'd be happy to, but if you'll forgive me I'll use the restroom first. Then we can finish the tour. Grace went straight to the bathroom like she probably had hundreds of times many years ago.

When Grace returned she said, "Nothing in that bathroom is changed is it Nate?"

"It's as I found it only cleaned and refinished."

"My God Alice, it was almost scary. I feel like I'm walking back and forth between the past and the present." Alice went in and came back out smiling.

"You are right mother. It's scary."

"Would either of you like more coffee or brandy?"

"No, no thank you. I'm dying to see the rest of the house though.

I said, "Let's go to the kitchen. You won't recognize that room. I had to completely redo it." Grace led the way and once there sang my praises. "You are right. This is totally different but it is lovely. You captured the right mood yet made it very modern."

As Grace turned she saw my drawings of the garage. "Did you make these drawings Nate?"

"Yes I did, this morning in fact. I'm building a garage in the spring and I want it to look like a carriage house or what I see as one anyway."

"If you keep looking through all the old things you will find pictures of the old carriage house. You will be interested to see how they compare to your drawings."

"I'll look for them. What was that room off the kitchen used for?"

"The maid had a large table among other things in there, and she would assemble things like centerpieces for the dining room, or she would work dough for baking. It was her workroom and she didn't appreciate anybody else messing around in there. Even us."

We went back to the living room and started to ascend the stairs. Alice stopped and asked, "Do you have a flashlight?"

"I have one upstairs why?"

"I'll show you something after bit." We continued up the stairs and Alice walked beside me. She reached out and put her hand on my arm. My heart skipped a beat from surprise. I looked at her and she smiled and lipped "Thank you" to me. I put my hand on hers and smiling, lipped back, "You're welcome." Maybe it wasn't surprise that made my heart jump after all. Alice took my arm as we went up. As we reached the top of the stairs Grace automatically went to the left and entered my bedroom.

"Oh, I'm sorry Nate. I did that without thinking. That was my room once upon a time."

"Go right in Grace. I believe it's presentable."

Alice looked at me with a devilish grin and said, "You didn't leave your underwear out did you?"

"Alice! That was rude." I laughed and looked at Alice, then said, "That's quite all right Grace. Alice is just having fun at my expense."

Shaking her head Grace said, "If anybody will, it will be Alice." We moved on to the two bedrooms with the adjoining bathroom.

Alice said, "I think that was my room but I'm not sure."

"That was your room Alice but I'm not surprised you don't remember very much." I said, "What can you tell me of the bedroom and little bathroom on the third floor?" "That was the maid's room. Nobody went up there but her."

As we turned to go back the way we came, Alice put her hand on my arm again. "I want to show you something in here Nate."

Grace said, "You two take your time. I want to go sit in front of the fireplace for a bit and remember the old days." Grace made her way to the stairs.

"I'll get the flashlight." When I got back, Alice took the flashlight from me and said, "Follow me Nate." We entered the darkened area and Alice turned on the flashlight. "I haven't been here since I was a kid so bear with me."

"I'll stay as close to you as I can get." Alice stopped, turned and smiled at me.

"Good" and she moved on.

As we neared the far end she stopped. "Now this is the part I have to try and remember." Her right hand reached out to the wall and pushed lightly. "No, that's not it." Then she did it again...and then again. This went on for a couple of minutes. "Oh, wait a minute I think I remember now. Here hold the flashlight." I held the flashlight and Alice got on her knees. When she did that I pointed the flashlight at her butt. "Nate, the light would help more over here."

"Not me it wouldn't"

"Behave yourself and I'll show you a secret."

"You have my attention." Alice pushed on the wall again a couple of times then a secret panel popped open about three feet tall. I got down on all fours with my face within inches of Alice's butt. "I think I found something Alice."

"What?"

"I found that you have a wonderful butt." Alice laughed out loud.

"That's not the secret but thank you." Alice slipped through the door and stood up, and then I followed. Once we were standing up Alice shined the flashlight back down the way we came. "Nate, you have a secret room. A big one. It goes all the way back to the hallway and runs along your bedroom wall."

"Why did they build it this way?"

"I have no idea. It must have made sense to somebody though." I was so close to Alice I could smell her fragrance.

"What happens if you turn the flashlight off?"

"It gets very dark. Like this," and Alice turned off the flashlight. I turned Alice around and we kissed lightly.

"It isn't my fault you know."

"And that would be because...?"

"I was too close to your butt and you smell too good."

"A poor excuse but I'll take it." We kissed again only a little longer and more seriously that time. "I'm only doing this because you are being so kind to my mother."

"And I'm only doing this because your mother wants me to."

"Now how do you know that?"

"It was in her eyes."

"Those were tears."

"Whatever, it worked." I kissed Alice again several times.

"We should probably be getting back to mom."

"Maybe if we waited just a few more minutes."

"Yeah, maybe it would be okay." We took several more minutes. I finally said,

"Okay, I guess we better go. I thought I was past the stage of getting home to mom by a certain time but you are worth it."

"So are you Nate."

We fumbled our way out and I put my hand on Alice's butt. She had to guide me you see. When we reached the hall and closed the door, Alice turned and putting her hand on the side of my face, kissed me in daylight. "I like it in daylight too, imagine that." Alice looked at me and let her hand slide slowly down my arm. Then she turned and put my hand on her butt. "It's this way. Now don't get lost." I stayed very close. I wanted to trip and tear her clothes but I thought that might be a bit much. I'd do that the next time. Yes, I had every intention of seeing her again.

Chapter Nine

When we got to the living room Grace was sitting there with a cup of coffee and her eyes closed. Alice went over to her and said, "It took a while but I found the door."