The Hungry Wolf Ch. 05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I'm sorry, lesser wolves?"

"Didn't Mr. Dimeo tell you?" Charlie shook her head and motioned for Lisa to continue. "Well, the pack is a hierarchy. There's the Alpha pair,-"

"Darian and Eva?" Charlie asked, smiling when Lisa nodded.

"-the Lead Beta – that's Mr. Dimeo – the rest of the Beta's, then the rest of the pack."

"Let me guess, Gammas?"

"No. Omegas actually."

"Why'd they pick that letter?"

"Because it's the last letter in the Greek alphabet. We're the lowest ranking pack members."

"What does that mean?"

"Mean?"

"Yeah. What does that mean, the 'lowest ranking pack members'?"

"Just that."

"So you don't get the same rights? Privileges? Freedoms?"

"Oh, no. Nothing like that." Lisa gave Charlie a big smile. "We have the less glamorous jobs. And you know, last to join celebrations because we have to work them from set up to clean up. That sort of thing. But we have the same rights as any other members – excepting the Alpha pair and Lead Beta – as well as privileges and freedoms. When the pack votes, our vote counts as much as any other member."

"I see." Charlie said, her brow furrowed. "It doesn't seem unfair to you at all?"

"Not at all." She looked at Charlie and smiled again. "We're not sitting in the back of the bus, you know. The hierarchy is set up this way to the benefit of all pack members – including the Omegas."

"Back of the bus, huh? How old are you?"

"Let's see, I joined the pack when I was 19; I met Eric at a concert in Portland during the summer of 1968 and I never looked back." She laughed at Charlie's shocked expression. "I know. We don't age like humans do."

"So it's the same when you're not born a...a werewolf?"

"Yes, it is."

Charlie was quiet for a moment, sizing up her guest. "Would you like something to drink?"

"What do you have?"

"Let's see, there's coffee, tea, juice, lemonade."

"Some lemonade would be great." She watched Charlie move with ease and familiarity around the lead Beta's kitchen, how very at home she looked. She wondered to herself if she even knew she was doing it.

"Here you go," Charlie said, putting a tall glass in front of her.

"Thanks."

"Do you like it?" Charlie asked, her elbows on the counter in front of Lisa and her head in her hands. She was watching the blonde closely.

"It's very tasty."

"No. Sorry. I meant, the pack. Being changed, becoming a werewolf. Do you like it?"

"It's...it's hard for me to answer that." She sighed and took another sip of her lemonade. "I didn't have anything, didn't have anyone, before I met Eric."

"Oh?"

"My home life growing up was...rough. When I turned 18 I left my home in Utah, hitchhiked out west and wandered a lot. Spent the summer of love in San Francisco, then head up north with a boyfriend to Portland. Stayed there through the winter and met Eric the following summer."

"I see."

"So for me, this is heaven. I have a family. An almighty big and protective one, too. We all look out for each other. We all care for each other."

"Sounds perfect."

"It's not. You give up some things, too. You give up some individuality. You give up some privacy. And you have to start thinking about the whole, not just the self anymore."

Charlie was quiet, thinking on that for a moment. "Is it worth it?"

"Oh yes," Lisa answered instantly. "It's worth that and more."

"Did it...was it hard to go through the ceremony? In front of everyone?"

"Not at all." She looked at Charlie closely. "But when I was living in the Haight, public and group sex was commonplace, so it didn't faze me."

"Group sex?"

"Not that they do that here. They don't," Lisa rushed out, realizing her blunder. "It's just that, with the mating ceremony, the rest of the pack will end up rutting, too."

"Eva mentioned that." Charlie chewed her lip a minute before asking her next question. "Didn't that kinda weird you out?"

"To be honest, I didn't even notice it."

"Really?"

"Well, yeah. I mean, the whole thing starts off with the Alpha giving Luna's blessing to the couple, kind of like a wedding ceremony, you know?" Charlie nodded. "And then it's just the two mates-to-be, with the rest of the pack surrounding them. The existing pack member then says some vows to the pack-"

"To the pack?"

"-yeah, to the pack, about how they will teach the newest member in their ways, and guide them through the changes and make them a strong member to fortify the pack."

"Ah."

"Then the human vows to the pack as well, and then the mating happens."

"You mean the sex?" Lisa nodded. "So the couple don't exchange vows with each other, but with the pack? Isn't that a bit odd?"

"Not really. I mean, everyone knows they're committed to each other, right? They're mates, and that's for life, so why do they have to stand up and talk about it. The vows to the pack reinforce the bond we all share with each other, and lets the pack know the bond will only be stronger with the new member." Lisa sipped her lemonade and smiled. "Believe me, by the time the Alpha was done talking I would have vowed to eat Jupiter and pee rainbows if it meant I could mate Eric." She giggled a bit and blushed as she remembered her own mating.

"And you weren't embarrassed at all?"

"No. Once Eric took my hands and looked at me, nothing else mattered, really. We made our vows, and as soon as I was done he was kissing me, and I forgot we were in the center of a circle of werewolves. It all faded until it was just me and him."

"Did it hurt?"

"It was...odd...when he shifted. Not unpleasant, but not exactly pleasant, either. Not at first. But after a few moments, once I got used to it, it was wonderful. He is bigger as his ibrido."

"Yeah, I know."

"You do?"

"Damien showed my his ibrido."

"Oh." She looked at her glass, avoiding Charlie's eyes. "Did he...did he tell you about the knot?"

"The knot?"

"Um, yeah," she blushed again, still not raising her eyes. She wasn't comfortable being the one to give Charlie all this information, but the lead Beta's instructions were crystal clear:'Tell her everything and answer all her questions.'Who was she to disobey? "When the males have sex with their mates – as either their ibrido or wolf – they get a knot at the base of their cock that keeps them locked inside their mates."

"Oh, yeah. Damien explained that to me," Charlie said, relieved. "He didn't call it a 'knot', but he told me all about it."

"Okay, good. Wow. I was getting nervous, thinking maybe I was going to end up scaring you." Both women laughed at that.

"Did it hurt when Eric bit you?"

"Not at all. And I really thought it would, you know. But it actually felt really good."

"It did?"

"Uh huh," she said, nodding. "And the mark becomes a major turn on, too."

"What do you mean?"

"Well, Eric will sometimes come up and bite or rub at his mark, and it gets me instantly ready for him."

"Does it really?" Lisa nodded. "Does it do that if you touch it?" In her fascination Charlie forgot about being embarrassed to be talking so intimately about sex with someone she just met.

"Not really. I mean, it feels good. But notnearlyas good as when Eric touches it."

"Can I see it?" Lisa pulled her shirt collar down and Charlie could see the faint scar of a bite. "I thought it would be more pronounced."

"It is to other werewolves. Human eyes don't see it that easily, though." Lisa righted her shirt. "Besides, it's the scent that really shows the mating."

"The scent?"

"Yeah. When he bites you, Mr. Dimeo will bind his scent to yours."

"Right. Damien did mention that."

"After you're done, the pack will all shift and scent you."

"They'll what?"

"They'll scent you."

"Scent me how?"

"Um. Did you ever have a dog?" Charlie shook her head. "Ever been around one? A big one?"

"Yeah." Lisa nodded at her and Charlie's eyes went wide in understanding. "No fucking way," she whispered.

"It's not as bad as it seems. You'll be sitting with your mate, and they'll scent both of you together."

"And how is that not as bad as it seems?"

"It just isn't." She shrugged. "Remember, you'll be sitting on Mr. Dimeo's lap, and you'll already be feeling some changes from the bite. You really won't be bothered by it at all."

Charlie just looked at her incredulously for a moment before shaking her head. "No wonder Damien asked you to tell me about this."

"Oh no – don't think like that. I'm sure he just didn't think of it is all. When it's natural and normal for you, you don't think about how weird it might be to others."

"I guess."

"Think about it – did you tell Damien about your periods?"

"What? No! Why would I?"

"Because we're wolves. We don't have periods. If you're staying here with him for a while, don't you think it would freak him out when you have your period?"

"Yeah, but..." she trailed off, looking at Lisa. A smile of admiration spreading across her face. "Okay. I see your point." She sighed and stretched her back, looking at the clock. A little spark of excitement lit in her abdomen when she saw it was just before noon and realized Damien would be back soon. "Do you want some lunch?" she asked Lisa.

"Um. Okay."

"I'm not keeping you from anything, am I?"

"No, it's not that." She smiled shyly at Charlie. "I could go get us lunch and bring it back up."

"Nah. I can whip up a couple sandwiches in no time."

"I don't want to be a bother."

"You're not." Charlie smiled, going to the fridge and opening it. "Let's see. We've got some leftover chicken, apples, grapes...hmm, I wonder if there's any walnuts. I could make a nice chicken Waldorf?"

"What's that?"

"A salad."

"For a meal?" Lisa looked at Charlie doubtfully.

"Oh. Right. Sorry," Charlie giggled. "I forgot you're not really salad people."

"I'm sorry. I'm sure whatever you make will be fine."

"It's okay. I'll make chicken salad sandwiches. They'll be just as good."

"It's no bother for me to get lunch and bring it up."

"Please don't. I insist on making lunch." Charlie pulled out the chicken, green onion, celery, carrots, pickles, mustard, tomato, lettuce and sour cream from the fridge, placing them on the counter in front of Lisa. She rummaged about and found a mixing bowl, cutting board, knife and spoon. She began making the salad, chopping up the chicken, onion and celery.

"So wolves don't have periods?" Charlie asked, grating the carrots.

"Nope."

"So...you don't ovulate?"

"We have a heat cycle."

"A heat cycle?" Charlie asked, adding the mustard and sour cream to the chopped chicken and vegetables in the bowl.

"Yeah. Generally every 11 to 13 months or so. Some are more frequent."

"And that's the only time you can get pregnant?"

"Yep."

"And no periods." She tossed in some spices seemingly at random and stirred them in to the salad in the bowl. Lisa had to admit it smelled delicious, even if it was called a 'salad'.

"No periods."

"Interesting." Charlie was quiet for a moment, slicing the tomato. "Lisa...do you ever wish you could just leave? Maybe go with Eric and live somewhere alone?"

"No! I mean, I've never wanted to. But...but I don't think we could."

"What do you mean?"

"We can't leave the pack. We need the bond and the closeness of the family here. I don't think we'd survive for very long."

"Really?"

"No one's ever willingly left since I've been here. But those who have been forced to leave...they don't make it long at all."

Charlie stood looking at Lisa, wondering about what Damien had offered the night before. He knew it would kill him, yet he still offered. She didn't know whether to scream at him for being so stupid or kiss him all over to thank him for being so selfless. She shook off her thoughts and gave Lisa a smile. "Do you want cheese on your sandwich? I think there's some jack cheese in the fridge." She moved to get the bread and a couple plates.

"No, thank you." She took a sip of her lemonade and almost dropped her glass as the plates and bread dropped out of Charlie's hands. "Charlie? Are you okay?"

"Oh my god," Charlie moaned. She was grasping at her right shoulder, tears pouring down her pale face. "I feel like my skin has been ripped off. It burns so bad!"

'Madam Alpha! Something is wrong with Mr. Dimeo's mate,' Lisa sent.

'What is it, Lisa?' Eva sent back, she and Darian left the office immediately and started up to Damien's apartment.

'I don't know. She's crying and saying her skin is peeling off and burning, but it isn't!'

'Calm down, Lisa. We're on our way. Try to get her to calm down if you can.'

As they moved upstairs they were both urgently called over to the medical center by Anna. They paused and looked at each other, torn.

"Crap. I'll go see what Anna needs, you go see what's wrong with Charlie, since she's already comfortable with you," Darian said.

"Alright. That would be for the best."

They parted, Darian heading down to the center next to the barn, Eva continuing up to Damien's quarters. She walked in and heard Lisa trying to console a sobbing Charlie. She was on the floor, rubbing her right shoulder and shaking. Eva saw the bread and broken plates on the floor.

"Charlie?" Eva called, kneeling next to her. "What's wrong?" Charlie either wouldn't or couldn't tell her. "What happened Lisa?" Eva asked, turning to the blonde who was standing now and wringing her hands.

"I don't know. One minute she was fine. Making lunch. We were having a great time, talking and stuff. The next minute she's dropped the plates, and started crying and talking about her burning skin."

"I see." Eva looked Charlie over carefully but could neither see nor smell an injury. "Thank you, Lisa. I will take it from here."

"Alright, Madam Alpha." Lisa nodded and head towards the door. "I hope she's going to be okay."

"I'm sure she'll be fine." Eva gave the blonde a smile and turned her attention back to the woman on the floor in front of her.

"Charlie," she said gently, placing her hand on Charlie's forehead. "What's wrong?"

"Eva? Oh god! I don't know. I don't know!"

"What's happened?"

"I just – ah fuck! – it feels like half my skin has been ripped off." She sobbed, grimacing in obvious pain. "It burns, Eva," she gasped. "And...I feel ...I don't know, Eva...." She sat up suddenly, her already pale face turning ashen. "I think it's Damien. I think something's wrong with him."

"Damien's fine, Charlie." Eva put her hand on Charlie's arm. "He's just out working."

"No. He's...there's something wrong with him."

'Charlie thinks there's something wrong with Damien. Where is he working and I will take her out to him?' Eva sent to Darian.

It took a few moments for Darian to respond. 'She senses something wrong with Damien? Is there a mating mark?'

She looked over Charlie's neck closely. 'No. Why?'

It again took Darian a few moments to answer. 'Damien is here. He was attacked and is hurt.'

Charlie was watching Eva closely and saw her gasp. "What? What happened? It's Damien isn't it?"

"Yes. He's had a minor accident, but he will be fine."

"Where is he?" Charlie asked, standing up on shaky legs. "Take me to him."

"I don't think that's wise, Charlie. Just wait here and we'll let you know-"

"No! Would you 'just wait' if it was Darian?"

"He's being taken care of Charlie."

"Take me to him, Eva, or I will wander all over this fucking place until I find him myself." Eva looked at her and knew she was right. She sighed, joy in her heart that Damien's mate was so passionate, and nodded at her to follow.

'We're coming to you, my heart.'

'Are you sure it's wise to bring her here? He is bloodied from the cougar and is in his ibrido. Anna has him sedated to clean and dress the wounds.'

'She refuses to wait. And since she knew this happened before you and I did...' Eva trailed off, not needing to explain further to Darian as she led Charlie down the stairs. She glanced over to find her still rubbing her shoulder as if in pain. 'Was it his right side that was injured?'

'Yes. You saw that?'

'No. She felt it.'

Eva led Charlie across the gravel path past the barn, reassuring her that Damien would be fine, reminding her that they healed much faster than humans. In her haste to leave Charlie forgot to put on any shoes, and cut the bottom of her right foot on a sharp rock. She didn't even feel it, although Eva noticed, her nose twitching as she scented blood. Charlie could only think about Damien, about getting to him and seeing him. She was crying still, berating herself for not admitting to him that she loved him, petrified she wouldn't get another chance and resolved to tell him now. They came upon a building set just off the mated houses and looking like a small, one story office building. Eva opened the door for Charlie and followed her in before directing her down a corridor.

"Charlie," Darian said as she rounded a corner and almost ran into him. He stood in front of a door and they could hear the commotion from the other side.

"Where is he?"

"He's fine. Anna is taking care of him, and...are you hurt?" he asked, picking up the scent of her blood.

'Her right foot,' Eva sent, seeing the trail of bloody footprints she left behind.

"Let me in, Darian," Charlie said, ignoring the question.

"Now is not a good time, Charlie. They're busy and...and the way he's injured...looks worse than it is."

"I don't care." She put her hands on her hips and stared up at him. "Let me in."

'Perhaps you should let her in,' Eva sent. 'After all, she did sense something happened to him before we knew of it.'

"It's gruesome looking, Charlie." Darian said, glancing at his mate.

"I think I've seen gruesome before. I can handle it. Now let me see him," she said through gritted teeth.

A young man came up carrying four bottles of saline and Darian stepped aside to let him in, catching Charlie as she tried to dart past him.

"No Charlie. Let them do their work."

'A little help here, my love?' he sent to Eva, but she just shook her head.

'Let her in, my heart.'

As the door swung shut a mournful howling noise came from the room behind Darian. Charlie's eyes went wide and a small smile flashed across her features. "The sedation has worn off, hasn't it Darian? He's awake now."

"Why do you say that?" Eva asked, stepping up to stand by her.

"I don't know." Charlie's brow creased as she thought on it. "I had this weird kind of...lonely feeling? Just after you showed up. But now...now I don't have that feeling anymore?" She didn't catch the look Darian and Eva shared.

'Let her in, Darian. She is his mate.'

'I don't think he'd want her to see him like this.'

'Would you wait if it were me? I certainly wouldn't if it were you,' Eva prompted, earning her a frustrated growl from her mate.

The door opened and Anna poked her head out. She had on a green scrub top that was streaked with blood. She looked up at Darian blocking the doorway and nudged him with her elbow before turning her attention to Charlie.

"Come in, Charlie. We need him to calm down and he won't until he can see you."

"Anna!" Darian warned.

"I'm sorry, my alpha, but he must've caught her scent or something, because he came right up out of anesthesia and started that howling. I just need him calm so I can finish cleaning and dressing his side."

"Can't you give him more sedation?" Darian asked, exasperated that all the women around him seemed determined to help Charlie get her way.

"Not without risking his life. He's already had as much as we know is safe."

"Let me in, Darian. I won't freak out or scream or puke. I won't stop Anna from doing her job. I just need to see him. As much as he needs to see me. If not more," Charlie said softly.

He looked at her closely for a moment, acknowledging – to himself, anyway – that Eva was right; if it were Eva in there he wouldn't allow anyone to keep him out. "Alright, Charlie." He stepped aside and was rewarded for his acquiescence with his mate's warm body stepping into his arms and nuzzling his neck.