The Last Hitchhiker

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Billy let his hand stroke down Tammy's side cupping her hip, pulling her sweet body closer against him. The rain hammered against the roof of the car reminding him of what was waiting for him when they put him back out on the road. Silence ruled in the car while the storm shook it with wind and rain. The pleasant afterglow stretched into minutes of silent gratefulness between the two lovers.

Wayne was in a different world from the two in the back seat. He was alone. No one was holding him. He was left to be alone, left to be in pain alone. She gave her pleasure to a stranger, leaving him to suffer through the sounds and feelings of their shared lovemaking alone. He wanted her to be with him but he didn't have what she wanted. His world was filled with pain but he held the key in his hand to change everything. She could be his forever, just the two of them with no others coming between them. His eyes found the pair lying entwined on the back seat, his hand reaching out toward them, the knife reflecting the light from a lightning flash.

Billy felt her rise up, pressing herself against him, and then she screamed. He opened his eyes to see Wayne leaning over the seat. Tammy struggled to get away from Wayne, hitting Billy with her elbow as she fought to get upright. Tammy's struggling had dumped him onto the floorboard; unsure of what was happening he tried to sit up. He saw the knife just as Wayne pushed it into his side. Too late to stop it, he was trapped in the floorboard. Wedged into the narrow space between the back of the front seat and the back seat, he felt it sink deep into his side.

The inside of the car was total chaos. Tammy was screaming and crying, trying to talk but mostly just blabbering as she vainly tried to hold her stomach together with her hands. Blood was everywhere, thick, slick, and hot like motor oil. Lightening hit a tree nearby with a loud explosion strobing the car with its bright light, freezing everything in the flash. Billy saw the wide eyed fear on Tammy's face, saw the blood spattered face of Wayne as he tried to pull the knife out to stab him again, saw the arm of the hand that held the knife. He grabbed the arm and fought to stop it and the knife it held. Pulling the arm up and away from his body, he felt the knife blade cut its path to the outside; opening his guts like an envelope.

He twisted the arm with all his considerable strength forcing Wayne to drop the knife. His hand gripped the arm while his other hand encountered his own intestines when it picked the knife up and slashed at the man who had just gutted him. Holding to the arm in his hand Billy slashed upward with the knife cutting the arm and then hitting the man somewhere in the neck before he lost his grip on the wet and now slick arm.

Wayne seemed to have snapped out of a trance when the cold rain hit him as he fell from the car. He lay in the wet mud catching his breath and trying to figure out what the hell was going on. His arm had a gash cut in it half a foot long and blood was gushing down his arm. He was having a hard time breathing, a sucking sound accompanying each effort to catch his breathe. His hand found that his cheek had been cut through he could feel his teeth and his neck was shooting blood down his body.

The back door on the other side of the car was kicked opened. Watching under the car Wayne saw two bare feet step out into the mud. He knew that it was the stranger and felt like he should move but he was too tired. The bare feet took several steps weaving and staggering around and then the man fell to the ground. Wayne went to sleep thinking he could hear Tammy softly crying but he couldn't go to her. He had to rest for a minute first.

Billy was standing in the mud naked in the rain, he took a step but his insides were slipping through his fingers wet and slimy slick. He staggered and was forced to sit down in the mud. How had this happened to him? What had he done to bring this on himself? He lay on his side and held his middle with both hands letting the rain wash his blood away. She must have known that her husband was against the sex with strangers. She had to know she was pushing him, didn't she? Was it worth all their lives for her to get what she wanted? The questions swirled and flowed through him until he slipped into a deep sleep

Tammy lay against the door holding her hands against the wound that reached across her stomach. Blood was pooling on the seat beside her, blood was everywhere. She could see out the open door on the other side of the car, could see the naked man lying in the mud. She tried to put it all together, she called for Wayne but there was no answer, she called for Billy but the man in the mud made no move. Lightning flashed and she saw how the rain water turned red after it ran beneath his body. The red rainwater ran as far as she could see. 'Losing that much blood would have to kill you,' she thought. She knew that Wayne, the man she loved, had killed her and gone, leaving her alone with the man who had fucked her and died trying to leave. The pain was hard, bright and throbbing as she lay there feeling her body pump her life away.

Officer Wade Johnson was impressed with what a fine day it was as he drove into town that morning. The storm last night had washed the dust from all the trees and foliage leaving a beautiful spring fresh green on everything that grew. The air was so clean and clear that you could see the distant mountains to the north. He took a deep breath happy to be who he was, where he was. Then he got the call.

Someone had seen a car with the doors opened and bodies on the ground just up the Sweetwater road a bit. He went to check it out.

He saw the car through the trees before he saw the small dirt road. He slowed down and saw that rivulets of blood had run all the way to the highway. The whole scene had a deathly stillness to it as he drove far enough into the small dirt road to be clear of the highway traffic, the crunching of the gravel beneath his tires sounding loud in the silence. Getting out of the car he drew his weapon and walked toward what he now knew was his brother's car, following the red stains left by the blood.

He found his brother lying dead by the driver's open door a terrible slash running down his arm which was one of the sources for the stream of blood he had seen. Moving his brother's arm revealed the wounds to his face and neck. His hand had been trying to stop the blood from his cut throat and face even as the veins in his arm were bleeding out. Wade thought that his brother never had a chance with those two horrific wounds.

Looking inside the car he found his sister-in-law naked in the back seat her hands relaxed in her lap her stomach open and full of flies which buzzed all around since he had stirred them up with his presence. Careful not to disturb anything he walked around the car and found the body of a naked man. Rolling the man over, he recognized the hitchhiker from yesterday. He found the hunting knife lying beside him, the rain hadn't washed all the blood from it. Thinking he was dead, he jumped when the man opened his eyes.

"What happened here?" he asked the man who was trying to lift his hand but was too weak to accomplish the feat. The man said something but Wade couldn't hear what it was. "What?" he asked. Putting his ear next to the man's lips he heard the dying man trying to whisper.

'She killed us. The selfish bitch killed us all.' He thought the words. He tried to tell the cop. He needed to say it, he tried to say it plain and clear. He couldn't, it was too much.

No one would ever hear his last words as Wade watched the life leave him.

Looking around he was able to put together what must have happened. His brother, Wayne and his wife must have picked up the hitchhiker and the guy had pulled a knife on them forcing them to turn into the small dirt road where he had raped his sister-in-law. Somehow his wimpy brother had grown a set of balls and fought the guy with the knife and somehow cut him so bad that he had tried to get away but was too far gone to make it. In the fight to save his wife he had gotten cut up and bled out lying next to the car.

He had very little respect for his brother, who had always let his wife boss him around and seemed to be less of a man than he should have been. But looking at this car, the inside of which looked like a butcher's shop, he realized that his brother had come through for his wife and he had given his life in an attempt to save her. While he didn't accomplish saving her he had managed to kill her rapist and murderer.

Questions filled his mind as he called for the M.E. and an ambulance. He called the state police and asked for a crime scene van. He walked back to his brother's body and squatted down beside it. He had never respected his brother but he had loved him. Wayne seemed to live like he didn't think he deserved the life he had, like he was grateful to have an unfaithful wife because she was all he could get. And she was beautiful. Even Wade had thought that he was a bit over mounted by his wife, like a novice rider on a horse with too much spirit. But when it had counted he had found the courage to fight for her, proving his love with his life.

Justice is blind they say, but today Wade Johnson had his eyes opened, he realized that his brother was a man when it counted. Indeed it was him, not his brother, who had been the weak link that allowed this terrible crime to happen. He had this killer in his power, he had held that knife before it became a murder weapon. He had given it back to the killer and let him go. How was he going to live with that? "God, I am so sorry," he whispered to his dead brother, tears of regret running down his face. He wouldn't make this mistake again, he thought as he stood up. He resolved to himself that he would be hard as nails on suspects from now on. He owed it to his brother. His brother who had lived life as a wimp but when the chips were down had found the courage to be the man every man wanted to be.

***

Billy Ray, once a cook in the Air Force, once a husband until a love of freedom caused him to leave both lives behind and take to the open road. His recent life spent standing on roadsides waiting for a glimpse of human kindness inside the cars as they pass him. The number of people who are willing to offer him a ride so few amongst thousands who looked beyond him as they passed, completely ignoring his standing as a fellow human being. His name was infamous now a symbol of evil and a damn good reason not to pick up hitchhikers.

Tammy was the famous one, she had the law against hitchhiking passed using her name. Tammy's Law also makes it a crime to carry a knife, even a pocket knife with a blade longer than two inches. Conviction under either crime carries a mandatory sentence of three years with no parole.

Which brings us to Wayne, the hero who gave his life to save his wife's honor, the new police academy bears his name, The Wayne Johnson Center for Homeland Security.

Finally we come to Wade Johnson. He is still out there working, sifting through everyone, hoping to find the next Billy Ray before that Billy finds his next Tammy. He owes his brother that much.