The List Ch. 02

Story Info
It's hard being the only black contestant.
2.9k words
4.58
16.2k
1

Part 2 of the 4 part series

Updated 09/22/2022
Created 01/05/2004
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
milf26
milf26
258 Followers

The List Ch. 2 "Brains"

Hey thanks to those of you who took the time to read the first chapter (even that guy who said i wasted his time because there was no sex! that gave me a good giggle!I did put this story in the non-erotic section, didn't I?)Here is the continuing story, and again, any feedback that you give is wonderful. I hope you like this chapter as well.

Carrie sat in her room and enjoyed the peace and quiet that was hers alone for a few minutes. She smiled and chuckled as she thought about her embarrassing meeting with Grant. She had thought this over and over for the past three days and turned it over in her mind again and again. She felt her face flush for the hundredth time, but not from embarrassment, it was from the thought of him whispering in her ear and kissing her cheek. She had fished around a bit to see if he had kissed any of the others, but from the few women she had polled it didn’t seem that he had. She gave a wiggle of pleasure and sank down into the luxurious linens and pillows. This was so much better than what she had at home, but she felt like a fraud. This wasn’t the way she usually lived, and she loved it that she got to experience it, but she was ready for something a bit simpler.

Just as she sat up Hunter walked in.

“What’s going on?” Carrie asked.

“We have a test, come downstairs into the library.”

“A test?” Carrie hopped from the bed and brushed her hair, then she put on her lipstick.

“I hope it isn’t hard,” Hunter was saying. “I never was any good at tests.”

“You’ll do great.” Carrie encouraged her as she pulled the door closed behind them. This would be a piece of cake; Carrie had always been a great test taker, and an excellent student. They reached the library and let themselves in. This was the room that the women used as their confessional room to vent about the others or to talk about the events of the past days. Carrie had only been in here a few times, but the large bookshelves and the mahogany paneling hadn’t ceased to awe her yet. Today, however the set up was completely different. Carrie suddenly felt like she had been transported back to college. There were desks set up in rows just like a classroom and a large teacher’s desk in the front. The shades over the eight foot windows were drawn halfway down and the light that streamed in was concentrated onto the desks. As always, there were several cameras set up around the room and the camera crew stood around quietly chatting among themselves.

Carrie selected a seat in the very front row and waved to the others as they chose seats farther back. When Leah walked in and chose the seat next to her she wasn’t surprised. That woman would do anything to try and show her up!

Sunny breezed into the room clad in a tweed jacket and skirt complete with stockings and what Sunny must have thought of as being her most schoolmarmish shoes...if teachers paid over $500 for shoes that is. Her hair was lacquered into a severe french twist with wisps strategically curling around her ears and forehead. She looked most uncomfortable. Carrie stifled an urge to giggle as Sunny jumped onto the teacher’s desk and crossed her legs.

“Girls, if I may have your attention, I will explain to you what we are doing here.”

When all eyes were on her, and she made sure that the camera was going to hang on to every word she said then she continued. “We have devised a test that will determine which eight of you will continue your journey on with Grant in the pursuit of true love. The other eight of you will be sent packing as soon as the results are announced. You will have fifteen minutes to get your things and leave the house.”

“Good luck ladies,” Leah turned around and taunted. “I was magna cum laude in college. I will definitely be going on to the next round.” The smirk on her face as she glared at Carrie made Carrie’s blood boil, but she didn’t say anything, she just glared back.

“Grant is a very intelligent man who owns his own consulting firm in L.A.” Sunny twitted as she peered though her glasses. “He is looking for a woman who is as intelligent as he is and who will engage his mind as well as his heart.”

The answer sheets were passed out and the women were given a 20 page question booklet. There was some grumbling around the room as the women looked through the book, but they were silent as soon as they were told to pick up their pencils and start. The test was 150 general questions that covered different subjects from math and science and history with a bit of psychology and sociology mixed in. Carrie wasn’t quite sure what the producers wanted to test them on exactly, but she was pretty sure that she got all of her answers correct. When she handed in her paper first she was a bit surprised that the others seemed to be struggling with their tests. She sat back down in her seat and daydreamed out the window for the next thirty minutes until Sunny finally called out that time was up and everyone had to turn in their answer sheets. The rustle of papers was loud as the others handed in their answer sheets, but the women were stone quiet. Everyone was dismissed and told that they could do what they wanted until the results were posted in an hour. The women all walked out quietly but then they broke into animated chatter just outside of the library door.

“Oh my gosh! That was the hardest test I have taken in a long time!” Hunter said as they huddled together.

“I totally forgot every math formula that I ever learned!” Courtney whined.

“You guys, we’ll all be okay,” Carrie said patting a very worried looking Collette’s arm. They milled around outside the door for half an hour, and when there were no results they went to the kitchen where they picked at the fruit tray that the chef had prepared. There was deafening silence in the house which usually was so loud and there was a funereal air around every one. In another half hour, one of the production assistants poked her head through the door and announced to the ladies who were there that the test results were ready and they would be read to as soon as everyone made their way back to the library. The women marched through the house again and back to the wood paneled room. After they had taken their seats, Leah caught Carrie’s eye and waved goodbye to her. Sunny was seated there at the large desk and waited for the women to take their seats again.

“Now remember, if I call your name, you will be told to leave and you will have to leave the premises in fifteen minutes. Alright, here we go.”

Sunny picked up a card and dramatically read the names of the eight women who were disqualified. There were tears and screams of disappointment as the ladies and their friends realized that they would have to leave. Carrie looked around and realized that none of the women leaving was a friend of hers! Carrie smiled at the others and gave Collette a thumbs up. They were all staying!

With half of the contestant pool gone the room felt bare and echo-y, but Sunny didn’t look as though she was ready to dismiss the rest of them quite yet. “Girls,” she said after clearing her throat. “I want you to stay in this room for just awhile longer. I have to see our less fortunate guests off the property, but I have a very special surprise for you all when I come back!” Sunny jumped off the table and rushed out of the room tottering on her ridiculously high heels. When she returned a half hour later, she jumped back onto the desk and gazed at the women.

“I told you we have a very special surprise for you. We have graded each of the tests and for the highest score we at The List have arranged for you to have a dream date with Grant!” The squeals and sighs around the room drowned out anything that Sunny may have said after that. All the women waited expectantly to see who the lucky one would be. “In order from least to greatest score…” Sunny began. “Courtney! Hunter! Angela! Collette! Tiffany! Heather! None of you are eligible to have the date with Grant but maybe next time you will be lucky enough to see him. Carrie and Leah, you are the top finalists and though there was just one question that separated the two of you, I am sorry to tell you that one of you will not be going on that dream date.”

Sunny paused and took a deep breath letting the drama of the announcement permeate the room. Leah gave Carrie a smirk that told everyone that she was clearly the winner.

“Leah, you—“

“I knew it! Ha! I’m going on the date! This is incredible! I just know that Grant and I will have a fantastic time! Where are we going?” Leah clapped her hands happily and laughed in Carrie’s face. “Magna cum laude, HA!”

“Leah, you have misunderstood me, you are the second place contestant. Carrie will be the one to go on the date with Grant tomorrow.” Sunny said quietly.

“Me?” Carrie said stunned. “Really?”

“What do you mean her?” Leah gasped. “I was magna cum laude!”

“I guess summa cum laude trumps magna every time, huh, Leah?” Carrie gave her a wicked grin and smiled at her friends. “So when is this date?” Carrie giggled.

“You have exactly one hour to get ready and then Grant will come to your door and escort you to Denver where you will have dinner and do some dancing.” Sunny used her best announcer voice to explain the evening ahead. “You’d better hurry if you want to be ready by the time Grant arrives!”

“But what am I supposed to wear?” Carrie wondered out loud.

“I have the perfect thing!” Courtney bubbled. “Do you like the color pink?”

Carrie paced back and forth in the sitting room of the gigantic house keeping an ear out for the doorbell while nervously chewing on a hangnail. She had to admit that Courtney’s choice was perfect for a mystery date; it was dressy enough to go to a really nice restaurant but not stuffy and too nice looking to keep Carrie from dancing. The clock in the hallway struck six-o-clock and Carrie strained to see if there was anyone at the front door. She was making her tenth circle around the overstuffed sofa when there was a knock on the door. She paused and took a deep breath; she squared her shoulders and took long strides to the door. When she pulled it open, she found herself staring into Grant’s eyes as she let a goofy grin spread across her face and she leaned against the jamb. He took her breath away.

“Well hello!” Carrie laughed as he tipped his head to the side.

“Hello, Carrie!” Grant smiled as he took her hand and kissed it.

“Did you know it was going to be me that you were going to take out tonight?” she asked boldly.

“They didn’t tell me, but I had a feeling it might be you. Are you ready?”

“Sure,” she gathered up her purse and stepped out to the porch. “Where are we going, anyhow?”

“Down to Denver,” he answered as he opened the door to the limousine and let her climb in first. He sat down and closed the door behind him. Sitting next to him, Carrie let her eyes wander over Grant’s face and a smile played on her lips as she watched him push his hair back from his forehead with his beautiful hands. His eyes caught hers and they beamed at each other. The car pulled away from the mansion smoothly and for a few seconds they were at a loss for words.

“So you’re the smartest of the bunch, huh?” He asked finally as he held her gaze.

“I guess so,” Carrie said with a hint of pride. There was no way she was going to hide the fact that she was smart.

“So, what are you going to do with all of those brains?” Grant asked as he poured a glass of champagne and handed it to her.

“I want to go into broadcasting—but not for a serious news show, I strictly want to do celebrity interviews, you know the fun stuff.” Carrie sipped her champagne and let the cold sweet liquid trickle down her throat. The bubbles tickled on their way down and she tittered a little. “For a long time I thought I was going to go into law. But I just couldn’t take all the stuffed shirts in the classes. But I fell in love with L.A. and the entertainment industry so I stayed and switched gears and now I am a waitress who goes to auditions waiting for her big break.”

“I can see you interviewing the big stars, but not as a lawyer,” Grant acknowledged as he took a sip from his own glass. “You don’t seem evil enough.”

Carrie laughed. “I can be pretty evil, but I just can’t be that evil. What do you want to be when you grow up? Or are you already a grown up?” She drained the last of her drink and offered it to Grant.

“You could say I’m grown up, I own my own consulting firm in L.A.” He said as he poured her another drink.

“Well, that makes me feel as if I am a little behind on my list of grown up goals to accomplish!” She sipped again and asked boldly, “So, you are a young, attractive, obviously successful man who owns a business, what are you doing on this show? I should think there would be women beating down your door!”

“I could ask you the same question,” Grant pointed out.

“But I asked first,” Carrie purred. She shook her head to clear it from the wine induced fog that was building up and blinked at him expectantly.

“Well,” he began as he nervously pushed his short hair back from his face, “I haven’t met the right woman yet. I’ve been working so hard to build up my company that dating was always an afterthought. Now I’m ready to find the right woman, settle down and get married, and when I heard from a friend that the producers were looking for a man who was serious about committing, I took a chance and here I am. I figured the show can’t do a worse job picking anyone for me than I can do on my own.”

“True love from a television show?” Carrie cocked her head to one side.

“Isn’t that why you’re here?” He raised his brows questioningly. His eyes seemed to see into her soul and she swallowed. She knew she couldn’t tell him the real reason why she was here, but she sensed that he knew her skepticism about romantic reality shows.

“O—of course!” She said a bit too brightly. Her brain wanted to blurt out that she had already found love on this TV show; that Grant was going to be hers and that they would be married someday, but she chuckled lowly instead and fought back the words.

“What’s the joke?” Grant asked as he put his arm around her shoulders.

“I was just thinking that I should slow down on the champagne, I feel a little lightheaded.” Carrie snuggled her head into his shoulder and sighed happily.

“You never really answered my question,” He murmured into her ear. “What is an attractive, classy lady like you doing here?”

Carrie lifted her head and put her hand on his chest to steady her. His arm slid around her waist and she let warm feelings engulf her. “I have lousy luck dating,” she said. “I haven’t found The One. You know, The One who makes my heart flutter and makes me smile every time I hear his name, The One I can’t see myself living without.”

“Never?” Grant whispered. He was dizzy from the scent of her spicy perfume and her nearness.

“I was engaged once, but he and I were really too young and we just grew apart.”

“What a shame for him,” Grant’s eyes were locked on Carrie’s full, kissable lips. He fought the urge to kiss her right then and there.

“No, not really, he went on to find his soul mate two months later and they are married with two adorable babies. We are still great friends--we just didn’t work out romantically.” She smiled softly.

“Do you believe in soul mates?” Grant probed and he held his breath waiting for an answer.

“Yes, I do,” Carrie nodded her head emphatically. “My grandparents always said that they knew they would marry the day that they met one another. They were married six months after they met and my uncle was born six months after that!” She winked comically and made him laugh.

“Do you think you’ll know when you’ve met the one?” he asked hopefully.

“I’ll know,” Carrie said sentimentally. “Now tell me all about yourself, Grant, and don’t leave anything out.”

milf26
milf26
258 Followers