The Locket

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Riley?" I called out into the empty room. My voice was thick with exhaustion. I looked at the clock on the nightstand. It was 8:47. We'd only been asleep for a few hours.

I stretched and checked the bathroom, still naked. The only evidence of Riley was two damp towels crumpled on the floor. I hung them up before I went into the kitchen and then the living room. Nothing.

"Riley?" I repeated. Silence.

I searched everywhere for a note. There wasn't one. I found my purse on the couch and dug my cell phone out of it, but there weren't any messages. Her clothes and purse were gone. The stinging realization hit me. She wasn't interested in dating me. She was horny. My shoulders slumped as the pain of sadness lashed my heart. Did I really believe she wanted to date me? I thought about how absolutely perfect she was. Compassionate, adorable, bubbly, confident. Thick dark hair, wonderfully curvaceous body, beautiful eyes. I stared at my phone for awhile. I decided against sending her a message. She would have to start up a conversation since she was the one who left. I curled up in the old recliner in the corner of my living room and hid my face in the crook of my elbow. The worst part of all was when I realized I couldn't even be her friend after last night… I couldn't share so much with another person and act like it never happened. I had lost her for good.

I started to shiver. Goosebumps were spreading across my uncovered body. I got up and dragged myself back to bed. I curled up into the fetal position and pulled the comforter up to my neck and tried to go back to sleep. Of course, I could not. My mind was pouring over last night. What had I done wrong? I wished I had her confidence. Maybe then I could have asked her out before alienating her with my hot tub confession. No, I thought, I don't want to be like her. I wouldn't leave someone after all that we shared last night. I would have the decency to tell the person it wouldn't work. I sighed. There was no way I could convince myself that there was anything wrong with Riley. My insecurities continued to invade and direct my thoughts until I fell back asleep.

It was the smells that woke me around eleven o'clock. The air was thick with cinnamon, freshly baked muffins, garlic, onions and chicken. A girl was humming. Confused, I pushed the covers off me and pulled on a pair of shorts and a tank top and hurried to the kitchen.

Riley turned from leaning over stove. She had a bottle of cooking wine in hand. "Oh shoot, did I wake you up? I wanted to surprise you." She set the bottle down and went to the opposite counter to grab two Starbucks cups. Offering me one with her too-big grin she said, "Merry Christmas, baby."

I accepted the cup and took a sip of the warm peppermint mocha inside. "Hey," I said, exhausted and confused, "I thought you left."

She smiled and pecked me on the cheek, "I did! To get groceries. And Starbucks." She crossed the kitchen to the stove where several pans were emitting the most wonderful smells, "There wasn't anything traditional left so I thought I'd make you this killer pasta dish. I did make some muffins too, so you could have that while this stuff cooks." She gestured to a plate of muffins cooling on my table. "I wanted to surprise you, but I knocked a bowl off the counter. That's what woke you up, huh?"

I was astonished. This was real. She wanted me. Of anyone in the world she could have picked. I walked up behind her and wrapped my arms around her waist. I covered her neck with kisses. She giggled and turned around. I tightened my grip on her and lifted her off the ground.

"I thought you left," I repeated.

She giggled as I set her down, "What, you mean like, for good?"

"Yeah." I brushed a lock of shiny brown hair out of her eyes.

"Chloe." She made a face of mock sternness and cupped my face with her hands, "Why would you think that? Have a little faith in me. I could never up and leave after everything you did to me last night."

I giggled, happy tingles spreading out from my tummy. I was overjoyed that my insecurities were the farthest thing from her mind. I hugged her again and over her shoulder noticed the unopened champagne bottle from last night. Then I remembered her present hiding in my desk. "Wait here," I said as I backed out of the kitchen. I returned to her with a rectangular purple box tied with a ribbon. "I got you something, too," I explained.

"Aw, that's sweet, baby." She untied the ribbon, and cracked open the box. With a tiny gasp she plucked the locket from the faux suede and held up to admire it, "Oh Chloe, I love this." The simple, polished metal gleamed in the light. She gently opened it to examine the inside. "Now we'll have to get little pictures of us inside of it." She slipped it on over her head and thanked me with a soft, lingering kiss.

"Merry Christmas, Riley." I pulled her close and breathed in her irresistible scent, wondering if a better Christmas were actually possible. Maybe next year's...? : )