The Long Road Back Ch. 11

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
sexygirl76
sexygirl76
1,526 Followers

I nodded trying to hold back tears.

"Tell me what the fight with Ms. Rodriguez was about?" he said looking at me with pen in hand.

I thought about that for a minute. "She told me she sold drugs now, she asked me to buy some from her." I hit myself over the head trying to remember. It seemed like a lot longer ago then yesterday. "She told me I looked snazzy. I told her that I had grown up, maybe she should. Then she hit me."

He scribbled on his paper. "Why did you threaten her?"

Again I tried to remember. "She told me that the day I came over to her house, she should have let her brother rape me."

He looked at me. "When was this?"

"Seven years ago when I was 17." I looked at him. "Does that matter?"

He shrugged. "Who knows what the DA is going to try to pull out of his sleeves. I'm just trying to get all the facts. Why did you go over to her house that day seven years ago?"

"I found out my parents were divorcing. I went over because she was my friend. She got me into drugs and alcohol."

He nodded. "The DA might try to pull on that if he somehow knows about it. He could use it as a motive, saying that you have held a grudge against Sheila for the past 7 years."

"But I haven't." I protested.

He looked at me, and then went back to scribbling. "Like I said. Just trying to get all the facts. Do you know if Sheila had any enemies?"

I shook my head. "I hadn't seen her in seven years before yesterday. She did tell me that she had left her husband and that she was selling drugs now to make money. Maybe she sold something to the wrong person, or her husband wanted to her dead."

He started writing again. "Do you know Ms. Rodriguez's husbands name?"

I shook my head. "No, she never told me."

Mr. Wallace nodded again. "I have an appointment to talk to Mrs. Rodriguez tomorrow. I could probably find out about her daughters husband from her." He looked down at the pad he had been scribbling on. "Well I think that is about all I need to know for now." He looked at me. "You will be pleading 'not guilty' at the trial?"

I looked at him affronted. "Of course."

He nodded. "Sorry Mrs. Anderson, it is something I have to ask. I just nodded. "I will inform Mrs. Daniels and Mr. Anderson of what the DA has agreed to. Hopefully they can work out some way to pay your bail so when it is taken care of Monday at the arraignment; you can make bail and go home."

I nodded, and then it clicked what he had said. "No...Anderson is my ex-husbands name. He was killed almost a year ago in a car accident."

Mr. Wallace looked down at his notes. "So this...Hawk...isn't your husband?"

"No...he's my boyfriend."

He nodded. "What is Hawk's last name?"

"Mitchell." I responded. "His last name is Mitchell."

Mr. Wallace wrote that down, and then stood up. This seemed to be the cop who was standing by the doors cue, because she quickly moved in behind me, making sure not to step in the mess I had made. She grabbed my arm, pulling me up then pulled my hands behind my back so she could cuff me again. Mr. Wallace was almost to the door, when he suddenly turned back towards me. "The police told me you talked to them earlier before I arrived. I recommend that you don't speak to anyone else unless I am present."

I nodded. "Does what I told them make a difference? I told them I didn't do it, that was about it."

He nodded. "I don't think it will affect the case one way or the other. But from now on, no talking to the police, the DA or anyone else like that unless I am with you. Understand?"

I nodded. He waved to me then walked out of the room.

The cop led me back to my cell. As I heard the door close, I wondered if I would spend the rest of my life in jail or be killed for a crime I didn't commit.

* * *

The rest of that night and the next day seemed to creep by. After the cop left me, I lay down on the cot and stared off into space. I never noticed when they turned the lights off. I just continued to stare at the ceiling in the darkness. Finally around dawn I slept more from exhaustion or anything. The next day I lay on the cot. Barely moving. I went to eat at meal time, went to the bathroom when I had to but other then that I just lay on that cot, I wondered if I would ever see Hawk and John again? If I would ever be able to hold them in my arms again. Sunday night, I cried myself to sleep.

Monday morning I woke up to sunshine shining in the bars of my only window. I sat up on the bed, then moved over to the toilet, did my business then splashed water on my face. Last night one of the guards arrived at my cell with a brown paper bag. She had slipped it through the bars. "A present from your husband." She said dropping it at my feet then walking away.

Kneeling down, I opened the bag. There was a pair of black slacks, a white dress shirt, a bra, underwear and nylons in the bag as well as a pair of my heels. "Well at least I won't show up in court dressed in jeans and a sweater." I thought to myself as I moved back over to the bunk. This morning, I pulled the bag out from under the bed, stripped off my clothes, washed up the best I could in the cold water from the sink then put the clothes on that Hawk had sent me. I took the clothes I had been wearing and put them in the bag. Then I waited for the guard to take me to the arraignment. The same female guard I had seen quite a bit over the past day and a half came to my cell a little after 8 to take me to breakfast. I just sat staring at my corn flakes. I couldn't eat. My stomach was so full of butterflies. When she realized I wasn't going to eat, she took me back to my cell. At 10 minutes to nine, she came back again, this time leading me to the courtroom.

I walked into the courtroom from a door by the witness chair. Mr. Wallace was sitting at the defense table looking much different then he had the night he came to question me. He was dressed in a suit and tie, his hair brushed neatly back off his face. I glance behind him. Sitting in the front row, was mom, Jeff, Robert, Suzanne, and Hawk. I smiled at them but when I opened my mouth to speak to them, Mr. Wallace shook his head. I just nodded then let the cop lead me over to the table. After she took the cuffs off, I sat down next to Mr. Wallace. That was when I noticed the person sitting at the other table. The man looked to be in his mid 50's. He had blonde hair streaked with gray. Like Mr. Wallace he was dressed in a suit and tie. I didn't get to look at him much after that because just then the bailiff walked in. "Please rise. The honorable Judge Amanda McKenzie residing."

I stood up, resting my hands on the table before me. I thought the judge looked a little young to be a judge. She didn't look a day past 30. Her strawberry blonde hair was pulled back sternly from her face. Her violet eyes scanned the room as she sat down. "Please be seated." I quietly sat back down beside Mr. Wallace.

"First case Mr. Thompson." She said looking at the bailiff.

"State versus Crystal Anderson, Murder in the first degree." He laid a file down on her desk.

She barely looked at it. Her eyes were fixed on me. "Mrs. Anderson, please stand."

Mr. Wallace and I stood up. She glanced down at the folder in front of her. "You have been accused of murdering Ms. Sheila Rodriguez, age 24 and residing at..." She read of Sheila's address." Then looked at me again. "How do you plead?"

"Not guilty, your honor." I said glad my voice didn't crack.

"So noted." She looked at the DA. "Mr. Palestine. I understand a bail bargain has been requested?"

"Yes ma'am. The state considers Mrs. Anderson a flight risk. We have asked for a $25,000.00 bail as well as house arrest until the trial."

The judge wrote on a pad in front of her then looked at her computer screen. "So noted. I have read over all the reports and believe that there is enough evidence for this case to go to trial. I am setting the trial date at February 12th at 9:00AM." I sighed. That was almost a month away. If I could get out of jail I had a month to figure out who actually killed Sheila and why. Then the judge started speaking again. "Also, it is so ordered that bail for Mrs. Anderson is set at $25,000.00. A bail bondsman is available if needed. If Mrs. Anderson is able to achieve bail she will be under house arrest until the time of the trial. Court dismissed." She banged her gavel on the bench.

I looked at Mr. Wallace. "That is pretty much what I figured would happen."

The female cop came over and put the handcuffs on me again. As I was led out of the courtroom, I turned back to look at my family. "Don't worry baby, we'll come up with the money somehow." Hawk called. I just nodded then followed the police woman.

I had been back in my cell about an hour when the same female police officer opened the door. "Come on, your out of here."

I stood up from the bunk. "What?" I asked almost afraid it was a lie.

She smiled. The first time she had actually smiled since I met her. "Someone posted your bail."

I quickly grabbed the bag off of the cot, and then followed her back to the police station. The first person I saw was Hawk. I smiled at him, and then ran into his waiting arms. His arms tightened around me. "Not so fast miss; there are a few things you need to sign and your house arrest needs to be arranged."

I turned to look at the portly officer sitting behind the desk. I moved out of Hawk's arms but felt comforted when his arm rested around my waist. I signed the papers I needed to sign then found out how my house arrest would work.

The officer asked if there was a back door. I told him that yes, but it led into a fenced in back yard (a fence that was 6ft high) and the only way in or out was through the house. He seemed satisfied. "You do realize that if you break your house arrest you will be back in jail until the trial?" He asked me.

"Yes sir. I understand." He nodded. He slipped an EMD (Electronic Monitoring device) around my ankle and I looked at it then looked at him. "Not that we don't trust you." He said with a smile. "But convicts have a habit of slipping past the officers at the door. This will arm itself as soon as you step foot in your house. If you so much as step outside the threshold, it will go off and an alarm will go off down here."

I looked at the collar then nodded. Then I wrapped my arm around Hawk's waist, and we walked out of the police station. Not noticing the two officers that followed at a discreet distance.

Once we were in the car I turned to Hawk. "How did you raise the money? Did you go to a bail bondsman?"

Hawk shook his head. "Honey, I didn't do it. I got a call as soon as we got home from the arraignment saying that I could come pick you up. That your bail had been paid."

I looked at him in shock. "But if you guys didn't pay it who did?"

Hawk started the car as he shrugged. "I don't know."

I sat there for a minute as we pulled out into traffic, trying to figure out who had paid my bail. Then I shook my head. I would think about that later. I was going home, that's all I cared about. "Let's go home Hawk." I said putting my hand on his knee. "I am in desperate need of a shower."

Hawk just laughed.

TO BE CONTINUED:

sexygirl76
sexygirl76
1,526 Followers
12