The Long Road Back Ch. 12

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
sexygirl76
sexygirl76
1,528 Followers

I came awake with a start. "Who...what...What time is it?" I looked around the room. Robert was standing beside the bed looking at me and holding a steaming cup of coffee.

"Sorry to bother you buddy. But if you want to go to Crystal's arraignment, you got to get up."

I looked over at the other side of the bed. Terry was gone. Sitting up slowly I took the cup Robert handed me. "What time is it?"

"It's a little before 8." Robert sat down on the bed by my feet. "So how did you enjoy your night with another man?"

I glared at him as I took a sip of the coffee. I heard him chuckle so I looked at him. "Sorry man. I couldn't resist." Robert wiped a tear from his eye.

"You could have tried a little harder." I growled taking another sip of the hot coffee.

Robert just started laughing again. When he saw the look in my eyes, he sobered quickly. "Hmmm." He cleared his throat. "Anyway, the arraignment is at 9. Mom called a little while ago. They are on their way over."

I nodded. "Who is going to watch John? I don't want him there?"

"Amy said she and Jericho would." He looked at me seriously. "You've got some good friends in them.

I smiled. "Yea, I know. I've known Amy my whole life. We grew up next door to each other." I chuckled. "When she was about 16 or so I asked her out." I smiled at the memory. "She actually laughed at me." I looked at Robert. "Can you believe it? She laughed at me."

Robert just shook his head.

"Yea, at least she did at first. Then she got really serious and told me that as much as she appreciated it, she wouldn't go out with me because she thought of me as a big brother."

Robert nodded. "I can see the attraction. Even pregnant, she is a very good looking woman."

I glared at him. "Watch it buddy, you are married, and not to just anyone but my sister."

Robert held up his hands in mock surrender. "Easy big guy, I'm just saying. I have no plans to leave Suzanne. That woman is my soul mate. I love her more then life itself. Okay?"

I nodded. "Better not let Suzanne hear that you think another woman is good looking." I took another drink of the coffee.

Robert laughed. "According to your sister, I can look all I want. If I touch though, that's a different matter." I gave him a questioning look. He leaned closer as if imparting a grave secret. "Let's just say that Suzanne said if I ever touch another woman like I touch her, she will cut off..." he looked down at his crotch, then back to me. "Well let's just say she would cut it off."

I couldn't help it, I started laughing. I laughed so hard, I had to put the coffee down or wear it. "Now why doesn't that surprise me?" I said once I had finally started to calm down. I wiped tears from my eyes. "Oh, I love my sister, I really do. But in all honesty, I'm glad you are the one living with her."

Robert just nodded. "Well I will tell you one thing." I looked at him. "Your sister is one hell of a woman."

"That she is buddy." I said slapping him on the back. "That she is."

* * *

I was in the shower when JoAnne, Jeff and John arrived. I quickly, dressed, and shaved, then met them in the living room. "You look very nice Hawk." JoAnne said looking me over.

I looked down at the suit and tie I was wearing. "I figured I should. You know show my support and everything." JoAnne just nodded. I gave John a quick hug, and then looked at Crystal's family. "So we ready to go?" Everyone nodded. Amy gave me thumbs up, and then we left the house.

We had decided to go in Jeff's car. It was the only one that would fit the six of us. Once we were all in, we headed to the courthouse.

We arrived at the courthouse at 5 minutes till 9. Mr. Wallace was standing outside the courtroom looking over some papers. He looked up when we arrived. "Is everything okay, Mr. Wallace?" I asked once I got done shaking his hand.

He wiped his brow. "I'll be honest, Hawk. The odds are really stacked up against Crystal. But I do think we have a shot." I nodded. "Um...Hawk...can I talk to you for a minute?"

I looked at the lawyer then nodded. We moved over a few feet away from the others then he started to speak in a rapid whisper. "I have been looking over the witness list the DA gave me, in case this goes to trial. He is planning on calling you to the stand."

I looked at him in shock. "Me, why?"

Mr. Wallace shook his head. "I don't know; maybe because you are so close to Crystal. I also know that he is planning on calling her mother to the stand. I think he is planning on bringing up her drug days. You know try to get a motive out of all of this."

I looked over to where JoAnne stood next to Robert looking at the courtroom doors. "Have you told her yet?"

Mr. Wallace shook his head. "No, not yet, I thought it might be better coming from you." I nodded. "Anyway, I just wanted to give you a heads up so you know what to expect." I nodded as I shook his hand.

"Thank you."

He nodded to. Then the doors to the courtroom opened. It was time. Walking back over to my party, I followed JoAnne and Jeff into the courtroom. Somehow I didn't like the odds of this turning out in our favor.

Suzanne, Robert, JoAnne, Jeff and I sat in the front row behind Mr. Wallace. While we waited for Crystal to be brought in, I looked over at the other side. There was a woman about 45 or so sitting in the front row next to a man. She was quietly weeping on his shoulder. I assumed this was Sheila's mother. She must have sensed me looking at her because her eyes met mine. There was pain in her eyes but I could also see anger. She glared at me for a minute then turned back to the front.

At that moment, Crystal walked into the courtroom. She was dressed in the clothes I had sent to her. I had asked Suzanne to bring them down last night when we got home. I knew if I brought them I would be sharing a cell with her. When she smiled at me, my heart melted. I loved her so much and knew somehow we would get through this. She opened her mouth to speak then quickly closed it and moved over to sit next to Mr. Wallace.

The arraignment was pretty straight forward. The judge talked, Mr. Wallace said his piece, the DA said his, and then it came down to the ruling.

"I have read over all the reports and believe that there is enough evidence for this case to go to trial. I am setting the trial date at February 12th at 9:00AM." I looked at the judge. A month, that gives us a month to find out who really killed Sheila. This was good.

Then the judge started speaking again. "Also, it is so ordered that bail for Mrs. Anderson is set at $25,000. A bail bondsman is available if needed. If Mrs. Anderson is able to achieve bail she will be under house arrest until the time of the trial. Court dismissed." She banged her gavel on the bench.

As the judge's gavel hit the bench, my heart sank. I wanted to take Crystal home with me. I knew I couldn't handle spending a month away from her. We had to come up with the money somehow.

Suzanne, JoAnne, Robert and Jeff stood up. Realizing it was over; I stood to, shook Mr. Wallace's hand then watched as Crystal was led from the courtroom. When she turned back, her eyes met mine. Suddenly the words just slipped out of my mouth. "Don't worry baby, we'll come up with the money somehow."

She nodded then followed the police woman out of the courtroom. "We'll come up with the money somehow." I thought to myself as we made our way back to the car. "I just have no idea how."

We had barely walked in the door, when the phone rang. Walking over I picked it up. "Hello?"

"Is this Mr. Joshua Mitchell?"

I didn't recognize the voice on the phone. "Yes. Can I help you?" All the eyes around the room stared at me but I just ignored them.

"My name is Alisha Prescott. I'm a police officer down where your wife is being held. I just wanted to let you know that you can come pick her up."

"I can come pick her up?" I stared at the phone dumbfounded. "But, what about her bail?"

"It has already been taken care of. Your wife is free and would probably like to be picked up."

"I'll be right there." I slowly hung up the phone.

"What is going on?" Robert demanded.

I slowly turned to face them. "Crystal is out on bail. Someone paid her bail. I need to go pick her up."

Every face in the room, except one showed shock. "Someone paid her bail, who?" Suzanne asked looking around the room.

"I don't know." I didn't look at Suzanne. I was looking at JoAnne. "But you do, don't you mom?"

JoAnne just smiled serenely. "Well, I don't know anything for sure. But let's just say I have an idea."

I looked at her. "Mom, who...?"

She just placed her hand on my arm. "Go pick up my little girl. Bring her home."

I didn't need any further encouragement. Within five minutes I had left the house on my way back down to the police station.

TO BE CONTINUED...

sexygirl76
sexygirl76
1,528 Followers
12