The Long Road to Ruin Ch. 43

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Muted traces of a flowery scent lingered on the air, tickling her nostrils. This was definitely a women's room. She noticed the large mirror sitting near an oversized bed. Shiloh had to wonder if this room was the female lecturer's that Dan and his friend's would spy on. She could definitely imagine a few hiding places the boys would duck into while they watched the woman pleasure herself. Behind the floor to ceiling bookcases which divided the rooms or perhaps even on the back side of the free standing mirror… such naughty boys they were.

Shiloh moved to the armoire standing next to the wall then carefully opened it. She peered inside at the clothing hanging within. They were robes, lingerie, and one particular dress that caught her eye. It was royal blue with a plunging neckline. Shiloh drew it out, holding it up in front of herself as she stood before the mirror. Very pretty dress, something she'd wear were it not for the name 'Lecturer Kathy' embroidered on the breast. Shiloh grinned…this was the room of the woman Dan had been spying on.

She searched the room thoroughly before hanging the dress back up. Then she exited the room, making her way to the next concealed door. Inside was another large bedroom which smelled somewhat stale and musty. A large desk sat in the middle of the room. Shiloh made her way over to it, quickly searching the drawers. Hidden within beneath a false bottom was a sack of gold plus a few scrolls. She pocketed the loot then moved on to the alchemists apparatus sitting in a corner. Upon perusal, she found a few potion vials which she pocketed as well. She figured she'd be able to identify them later once she'd discovered what had become of The Family's very pretty bard.

Once she'd pilfered all that she could from the room, she exited the way she came in, heading further down the dark corridor. When she came to an intersection, she continued north instead of turning west, though she made a mental note to come back, once she'd thoroughly explored this area of the teacher's floor. Through two doors she ventured until she came to an oddly shaped room. It seemed to be a dead end, yet her rogue senses tingled, telling her there was more here than met the eye.

She searched the room, meticulously checking each square foot until she noticed something odd about a section of wall. Then a grin split her face. There was a hidden panel door here. She quickly located the pressure plate that opened it and stepped through into a grandly appointed bedroom. This room belonged to someone important, she mused.

A strongbox sat upon the floor at the far end of the room near a doorway. She noticed another winged demonic creature which hovered nearby it. It looked exactly alike the two in the library, quickly surmising this one was a wizard's familiar. She avoided it, taking the door which brought her out into a large office.

A placard on the desk identified the office as the Chancellor's. Curiosity sparked within her, causing her to wonder if Pia's job had to do with the Chancellor. She searched the large desk, rifling through all the drawers. She found a note, a sack of gold and a book called "The Academy Compendium." The black leather bound book with arcane inscriptions on the cover looked very important. Shiloh grinned to herself as she stashed it away. Perhaps Alfons might find this interesting.

The next room she made her way into was a small personal library. One shelf held scrolls which she pocketed. She could either decipher the arcane writings thus using them herself or sell them for a nice profit. Either way, she would make out grandly.

Leaving the Chancellor's rooms behind, she headed back the way she came, this time taking the western corridor. When she came to a sturdy looking door, she quickly dispatched the lock. Opening it, she entered the circular room. Practically hugging the walls, she noticed a foul smelling creature with mottled skin and milky eyes. It reminded her of the undead she'd encountered while at the temple of Hyath on the Summer Islands. It would have been nice if Myra were here to destroy the foul thing. Myra wasn't here, though. She was in Sargoza happily cohabitating with Ni'as in hopes of conceiving a child.

Shiloh crept to a concealed door, manipulated the device that opened it then left the room behind. She stepped in a long corridor, noticing the pale green light that flooded it. Odd, she mused. Then a tingle slithered down her spine as the hairs stood up on the back of her neck. Something didn't feel right. She sensed something was watching her, but wasn't sure what or whom.

She proceeded down the long corridor to the stairs, but found the door locked and unpickable. She frowned; cursing under her breath then went back the way she came, searching the walls then doors for an alternate route. She found an alternate route in the form of a concealed door, which she skillfully manipulated. She stepped into another round room then disabled the gas spewing trap she noticed in the middle.

Before her was a metal door with lightning bolts etched into each side. Her brow furrowed. She figured the door was rigged to emit a painful jolt of electricity if someone tried to open it. She searched for the trigger point then quickly found it then disabled it, tossing aside the mechanical bits of the trap. She picked the lock, entering a long corridor bathed with the same eerie green light as the previous one.

The same sensation of being watched crept over her. Warily, she looked around. Perhaps it was because this had been a wizard's school. Perhaps there were things here she couldn't see, but were watching her every move. The feeling was disconcerting. She certainly didn't like it, she reminded herself to keep her eyes open for anything.

Down the corridor she crept until she came to another concealed door. As she touched it, a wave of magic washed over her, rendering her visible. Shiloh gasped as fear enveloped her, wrapping its icy tendrils over her skin. She whirled around, coming face to face with the one person she hadn't wanted to encounter.

"You," she hissed, stepping back from him.

"Surprised to see me, little princess," the red haired tiefling replied. His voice slithered over her skin as coldly as the fear that had assailed her.

"I could've done without seeing your ugly mug, Narev," she retorted, venturing a second step back, "Especially since you disappeared from my apartment like a coward."

"Not cowardly, my dear, but mindful of self preservation," he insolently scoffed, "Live to fight another day is my philosophy."

"You should've walked away when you had the chance. I don't have what you're seeking. I have a mission to complete, you are delaying me needlessly."

"Such bravado you're displaying, but rather wasted on me. I can taste your fear, girlie. Pungent, delicious, a feast worth savoring," Narev grinned maliciously as he stepped toward her. "You're lying as well. We both know you have it."

"But you can't prove that, can you?" Shiloh sneered, tumbling backwards into the shadows of the corridor. She reached a concealed door, quickly triggering the release as she felt Narev's hot breath singe her neck. She tumbled through the doorway into another lavishly appointed bedroom.

A glowing portal flickered unsteadily while a large metal automaton lumbered ponderously across the room. Its metallic interlocking plates formed the body of this armored giant. Its gate caused the room to tremble with every step. Shiloh let out a squeak, tumbling out of its way. She hid in the shadows, watching as it unleashed a cloud of noxious gas towards Narev. The tiefling shuddered before leaping into action. He hit the golem with everything he had, sending the heavy blade of his greatsword smashing into one of the automaton's legs.

Shiloh figured he was trying to bring the thing crashing down, destroying the armoring that held it together. She perused it fully, staying out of reach of its noxious blast. A metal helm topped what should have been its head, but no signs of intelligence could be found through the slit in its visor. As Narev and the golem drew near, she tumbled out of the way, plunging toward the flickering light. If it meant escape from the two combatants, she would gladly take it.

So far she'd found no trace of what had become of Pia. She only hoped wherever this portal led her, she would find the beautiful bard. She glanced at the fight waging before her. Narev had nearly beaten the behemoth into twisted scraps of metal. She knew it would be over soon then he'd surely focus his attention back to her. She had to act quickly. I'd better not be here, she mused as she made her decision. Shiloh stepped into the light, feeling it whisk her away. A wave of dizziness overwhelmed her. Disorientation flooded her senses for a few long heartbeats. A swirl of lights and colors surrounded her like a kaleidoscope then a sudden sensation of falling.

O.O