The Lost One Ch. 07

Story Info
Dangers await in the treacherous Mountains of Eternity.
7.8k words
4.76
5k
0

Part 6 of the 12 part series

Updated 09/22/2022
Created 02/25/2011
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Zodia195
Zodia195
96 Followers

A/N: Here's another long chapter folks but alot happens in it so I hope you enjoy it. Thank you BlackStallion21 for editing for I really appreciate it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

VII.

So Close . . .

Yet So Far . . .

Now that Pristine held the Crystal of Life, she could go and find the lost unicorn. But first, she had to find Inion. It was still morning as the travelers went through another dense forest. Unlike the majority of the land, these trees were alive and towered up to the sky.

"I've never seen a forest this alive before or trees this high!" exclaimed Kyra.

"They are called Macory Trees. You know you are near mountain terrain when you see them." explained Grayson.

"Where did you learn all that?" asked Pixie in astonishment.

"I read a lot."

"You read?!"

"Yep!"

"Grayson, where did you learn to read anyway?" asked Ophealia.

"Oh, uh . . ." Grayson looked down.

"He was taught by our foster father, but the books he used were from our real father." Lance said with sadness in his eyes.

"Oh, sorry I asked." replied Ophealia.

"That's all right princess." said Grayson.

"Boy, I'm tired. Can we rest?" asked Kyra.

"Sure thing. We'll rest here." agreed Lance.

They all dismounted and rested a bit. Pristine soon sensed something and stood up.

"Is something wrong Pristine?" asked Lance.

"No. I just want to walk a bit."

"You be careful then."

"I will."

As Pristine walked, she said, "Something is here. Something familiar."

She looked around. The sun was shining through the trees. There was a morning mist and a subtle wind causing the leaves to rustle. Birds were singing. This was a magical place and Pristine felt it. She continued to walk until she reached a glen where there was a stream. Kneeling on the mossy ground, Pristine waited. Then, like out of a beautiful dream, she appeared out of the mist. There she stood the unicorn. Pristine stared in awe as the unicorn reared on her hind legs and neighed. Every animal in the forest as well as Mallian, Drock, and Pixie heard her because it only called out to the hearts of those who listened. The three looked at each other before getting up.

"Now where are you three going?" asked Grayson.

"We just feel like walking." replied Pixie.

They walked off. When they were out of sight, they started to run. They soon stopped and gasped before kneeling to the ground. Pristine did not know they were there for her entire focus was on the pure white unicorn as it came toward her. The unicorn began to communicate with Pristine as she took out the Crystal of Life. The crystal in her hand was glowing brightly.

"I knew you would come." the unicorn said.

To Pristine's astonishment, the mare sounded almost like her.

"Who are you? Why do I feel this connection?" Pristine asked.

"We are one. I have been searching for you all my life."

While Pristine was looking into her eyes, memories and visions started flowing back. She outstretched her hand, while the unicorn lowered her horn. The Crystal of Life glowed more and more.

"Yes, yes." whispered Pixie.

Just when Pristine was about to touch the horn, Kyra showed up besides Mallian and shouted, "The unicorn!"

The unicorn saw Kyra and galloped away and all the animals left as well.

"No! Wait! Come back!" said Kyra as she ran out.

Pristine sat dumbstruck.

Glancing at Kyra, she raised the crystal and murmured, "I wish for her not to remember any of this."

The crystal glowed and light surrounded Kyra before she collapsed and fell asleep. Pristine put the crystal away before going over and picking her up.

"What did you do to her?" Pixie asked as she and the other two came up.

"I put her to sleep. When she wakes up, she won't remember a thing. I don't want any of you to mention this to anyone." Pristine ordered.

"We won't. Let me take her Pristine." suggested Drock.

Pristine handed Kyra to him.

"You look different Pristine." mentioned Mallian.

"I feel different. As I watched her, I felt as if a huge burden or emptiness was lifted from my heart. For once, I feel free and happy." Pristine said with a smile on her face.

"You look stronger Pristine. Was there anything else?" asked Pixie.

"Yes, she told me that we are one and that she has been searching for me. The strange thing is I believe her. Do you think that's possible?"

Her voice sounded more regal as well as confident.

"It is very possible, Pristine." smiled Mallian.

"Well, we better get back before Lance sends out a search party." replied Pixie.

"Yes, let's go." Pristine agreed.

When they got back, Ophealia asked, "What happened to Kyra."

"Oh, she'll be all right." answered Pristine as Drock placed Kyra on a mat.

"You look different Pristine. Is everything all right?" Lance asked.

"I'm fine Lance. I just feel more at peace with myself. This forest must have a beneficial effect on me."

Pristine looked up and smiled serenely. Lance thought that most of the sadness was gone from her eyes as well. She looked so lovely that way in the sunlight.

"If only I had the heart to tell her so." he thought.

He's snapped out of his thoughts when Grayson commented, "I wonder why this forest is so alive. There must be a lot of good magic in the air to cause it to be that way."

"It's the unicorn for only something that powerful could have made this result." Pristine thought.

Soon Kyra woke up.

"Ah. Boy do I feel relieved. Can we move along now?" she asked as she got up.

"Well, aren't we in a spirited mood." commented Ophealia.

Everyone else got up and got ready. Soon they mounted their horses and head out.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

For the next several days they traveled through the forest and the closer they got to the mountains, the more desolate the forest seemed to become. Lance and the outlaws took the opportunity to hunt while they traveled along. Pristine, along with Pixie and Grayson, searched for other food for the few vegetarians in the group. Soon, around midday of the third day of traveling in the forest, they came to a vast valley.

"Well, there's the Mountains of Eternity." replied Drock.

The mountains ahead looked rough and forbidden. A cold bitter wind welcomed them. It was so cold that even Mallian shivered.

"We should eat something before we continue and we better put on our extra clothing as well." suggested Mallian.

"Right, let's break for lunch." agreed Lance.

They all dismounted and put on their extra clothing. Even Mallian put some on. Next they ate their midday meal.

"Pristine, do you have any brothers or sisters?" Grayson asked.

"No. I was an only child."

"Yeah, me too. My mother died when I was a child." commented Ophealia sadly.

Grayson placed a hand on her shoulder for comfort. Ophealia looked at him and smiled.

"It's okay." she replied quietly.

"I had a little brother but he got sick and died. I was too young to remember it." said Kyra.

"I have five brothers and two sisters." added Mallian.

"What about you Pixie?"

"Me? I was the youngest of fifteen. Ten sisters and four brothers. It's not uncommon for elves to have large families. Unfortunately, they all died in the Invasion." Pixie said sadly.

"Oh Pixie I am sorry." apologized Pristine.

"It's okay."

Pixie tried to smile.

"We best pack up and get going now." Lance commented.

After cleaning up and putting their things away, they descended into the valley and began to journey towards the mountains.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The path wasn't steep at first, but the wind continued to pick up and the sky started getting cloudy. Still the sun was shining through as the hours passed by. It was sunset when it began to snow slowly; and they finally started to head into the mountains. They decided to eat before they lost all their light for there would soon be a blizzard.

"We must find shelter soon!" Lance commented.

They all agreed and found a cave just before the blizzard hit.

"Man! I didn't think the weather would be this severe!" exclaimed Kyra.

"Is it always like this?" asked Ophealia.

"Actually, before the Invasion, blizzards were rare here." commented Pixie.

"It's like evil affects the weather as well." added Pristine sadly.

"It'll all become normal after we find the lost unicorn." Mallian replied.

"What will the unicorn princess do when we find her?" asked Kyra.

This was a good question for no one responded at first.

"I am sure she'll set things right. If I was her, I would fight back, but only if I knew I had the power to." Pristine answered.

"I am sure we all would." replied Mallian.

They ended up spending the night and half of the day there until the snow let up. Soon they were on the road again. Nearly a month went by with the snow going off and on. The few times they traveled, they did it at night because it snowed all day and it stopped at night. Still the sun and star kept shining through the clouds somehow. They only rested when they found shelter or right before they came to a steep trail. Other than the snow, there were no other barriers in their way until one afternoon.

"Something is near. I can smell it." said Pixie quietly.

"Me too." added Mallian with Drock nodding in agreement.

"Okay girls, for once, please obey me and hide. We'll check this out." Lance replied.

"All right." Pristine agreed.

The other girls reluctantly hid. The guys hid their horses before sneaking off. Pixie listened for anything. They suddenly heard a roar in the distance where the guys went off too and soon heard scuffling. Pristine felt a chill up her spine and it's not from the cold. Instinctively she looked up to see large spiders descending on them.

"RUN!!" she shouted as she led her horse away.

The others listened without question. It was not until they moved, did the others see the spiders. Ophealia squealed.

"Don't make any sudden movements. These are Ivory Spiders. Very deadly. Zeather must have sent them." informed Pixie.

There were six of them, each over six feet tall.

"How do we take them out?" asked Ophealia as she quietly drew an arrow.

"You can't kill them with arrows or any other regular weapon." Pixie explained.

"They are cursed." Pristine stated suddenly.

"How'd you know that?"

"I talked to them. They said they once were common spiders before Zeather caught them and cursed them. When Zeather sent out his troops to find us they volunteered to come as well to find me. They want me to heal them." Pristine explained.

"They could be lying Pristine." Ophealia stated.

"They aren't. Let me see what I can do."

Pristine went up to spiders real slowly before standing in front of them. She took out the Crystal of Life and began to glow. As she concentrated, she began to hear a voice in her head and felt the unicorn's presence. Pristine began to talk to the spiders telepathically, but her voice sounded different in their heads and it's in an ancient language. Soon the spiders lit up too before shrinking to their normal state. Pristine took deep breaths before hearing their thanks. The spiders left. Mentally tired, Pristine fell to her knees.

"Pristine? You going to be okay?" asked Kyra.

Pristine suddenly felt something and suddenly jumped up.

"PIXIE WATCH OUT!" she shouted as she jumped in front of her.

The other girls watched in horror as an arrow pierced through Pristine, right below her left shoulder. Pristine screamed as she fell. The other girls gathered around her but before they could do anything else, twelve of the Evil One's archers surrounded them.

"Drop your weapons!" one of them ordered.

The girls reluctantly did so. Miraculously, someone shot an arrow through one of the guys' neck. Mallian suddenly covered Kyra's eyes as the guys appeared and attack Zeather's men. Pixie and Ophealia paid more attention Pristine than the battle, which ended quickly. Lance jumped from his horse and rushed over to Pristine. It took all his willpower not to panic, but he cannot hide the fear and concern from his eyes.

"She protected me." Pixie replied, trying not to get emotional, but did not succeed as several tears escaped her eyes.

"It's not your fault Pixie." Ophealia tried to comfort.

"BUT I COULD HAVE HEARD THEM COMING!!" Pixie screamed, showing her vulnerable side.

She felt awful and remembered the Invasion for she couldn't do anything there either. Ophealia hugged Pixie. She kept reminding herself that Pixie was still a child in elf terms. The girl had told them her age at one point.

Pristine, who was in excruciating pain, managed to say, "I'll live Pixie. It didn't hit my heart."

"Hush now Pristine. Save your strength." Lance told her.

Grayson sat next to Lance.

"You are right Pristine. This shot is not fatal. You think you can pull it out Lance?" he asked.

Lance simply nodded.

"Lance, Pristine will have to have part of her shirt removed. Pixie, you are going to have to calm down for I am going to need your help." Mallian said in a firm tone.

Pristine blushed as well as Lance. Pixie finally calmed down.

"I am sorry." she said.

"It's okay."

"Okay you guys! Go off and go somewhere until we are ready!" ordered Ophealia.

They all nodded in agreement before going off.

"I am sorry about this Pristine, but you're going to have to find another shirt." Mallian explained.

"It's a good thing that we got extra clothing." Pristine smiled weakly.

"This might hurt. Ophealia, can you help me please?"

Ophealia nodded and helped as they tried to get Pristine's extra clothing off. They did it carefully, but Pristine couldn't help but grunt in pain. The cold wind didn't help either.

"Pristine, don't fade out on us okay?" Ophealia ordered.

Pristine nodded.

"Can I use your knife, princess?" Mallian asked.

Ophealia nodded. Mallian carefully cut Pristine's shirt away. They really had no choice but to do that for much of the shirt was in ruin. They quickly and carefully covered Pristine with her cloak and extra clothing. They had to leave her shoulders bare but at least her modesty was intact. Pixie instinctively placed the Crystal of Life in Pristine's hand.

"It'll help keep her warm. And don't worry, it won't drain her of her energy." she assured.

"Okay, Pixie, you can go get Lance now." Mallian told her.

Pixie ran off and before long Lance and the other guys returned.

"Sir Reginald, hold Pristine still okay? Drock, you got that lucadon paste ready?" Lance asked him.

"Yes." Drock replied.

He knelt down and carefully smudged the medicine on his fingers before placing it around Pristine's wound.

"This will help stop it from bleeding." he explained to Pristine.

Sir Reginald knelt behind Pristine and replied, "Pardon me, Miss Pristine", before placing his hands gently but firmly on her shoulders.

"Drock, can you hold her feet down. I am sorry Pristine, but you must not move an inch after I pull the arrow out." Lance explained.

Pristine smiled at him in acceptance. Lance grinned back. Her being calm helped him remained calm. Lance got a good hold on the arrow.

"This will hurt Pristine. But it'll be over soon." Lance stated.

"I trust you." Pristine replied before taking a deep breath.

Everyone else did the same. With all his strength, Lance pulled out the arrow as quickly as he could. Pristine tried not to, but let out a cry. Immediately, Grayson took a rag he was holding and gave it to Lance, who placed it on Pristine's wound to stop the bleeding. Finally, it stopped bleeding. Drock covered the wound with more lucadon as Lance tore a long piece off his cloak off. As Sir Reginald careful lifted Pristine in a sitting position and kept her cloak around her, Lance wrapped the bandage around Pristine's wound. Pristine only let a few tears fall because of the pain. Lance's hands only shook a little, but inside his heart was pounding. Finally he was done.

"You girls can redress her now." Lance replied as he carefully stood up.

He also needed a minute. The guys went off before the girls redressed Pristine before she caught a cold. Ophealia unpacked Pristine's extra shirt. Soon the girls had her bundled up again. Pristine insisted on standing, but began to sway as they helped her up. Mallian draped Pristine's arm around her shoulder as Lance and the others came back. He walked over and lifted Pristine up.

"I can walk." Pristine assured.

"You're asleep on your feet Pristine. You need to take it easy. And until you are better, you're riding with me." he added with a grin.

Pristine frowned and blushed at the same time. Lance laughed. Kyra, Ophealia, and Sir Reginald sighed. At least they were out of danger for now.

It took only a day for Pristine's wound to heal, but a bit longer for her to regain her full energy for she suffered from a cold and fever which delayed them for several days but soon they were back on the trail again. More weeks past, and soon almost another month past. On the afternoon of another snowy day, they decided to take a break before going into higher elevations.

"I'm cold." shivered Kyra.

"Come here Kyra." replied Mallian.

Kyra walked over to her and Mallian wrapped her arms around her.

"It's a darn shame we couldn't find any shelter." commented Lance.

"Your highness, are you cold?" Grayson asked.

"No, I am fine." assured Ophealia.

She smiled mischievously and picked up a handful of snow.

"Hey Grayson! Catch!" she said as she threw it at Grayson.

Grayson turned just in time when the snowball hit him square in the face. Lance burst out laughing as the rest of the outlaws did as well.

"Oh yeah. Take this!" replied Grayson as he threw snowballs hitting Lance and a few other outlaws.

"Oh boy! Snowball fight!" shouted Kyra as she and Ophealia joined in.

"Come on Sir Reginald and Drock! Join the fun!" shouted Lance.

"Not at my age son." said Sir Reginald.

"I don't know." said Drock.

Finally, several snowballs accidentally hit Pristine, Mallian, and Pixie. Not only did the three joined in, but the incident caused Sir Reginald and Drock to be their 'bodyguards'. Lance started to protect Pristine from an onslaught of snowballs.

"Pristine! Look out!" shouted Lance as he grabbed her and the both of them fell and rolled down the hill.

Miraculously, they came to a stop and didn't hit anything.

"Pristine! Lance! Are you all right?!" shouted Ophealia.

"Yes, we're fine!" assured Pristine before looking down at Lance.

She was on top of him and Lance's arms were around Pristine.

"Well, at least I am all right. How about you Lance?" Pristine asked quietly.

Lance smiled, which caused Pristine's heart to flip, before replying, "I am now, since you're here."

Even though he was happy that they both did not get hurt, he admitted to himself that he loved having Pristine in his arms. She smelled so fresh and looked like a winter angel with her hair all disheveled. He pushed back some of her hair behind her ear as she blushed. Afraid of what might happen next, Pristine got up, although not as graceful as she liked. Lance followed suit.

"That was an interesting experience. Wouldn't you agree?" Lance asked.

Pristine turned to see Lance was still smiling like the handsome rogue he was.

"I guess."

It was true, but she did not want to admit how this experience made her blood run hot.

"Lance! Pristine! Grab a hold this rope!" ordered Drock.

Lance let Pristine go first before coming up behind her. It took them awhile, but they finally made it back to the others.

"Well did you two have fun?" winked Pixie.

"Yep! We sure did. Right Pristine?" Lance asked as he and the others turned to Pristine, who was still blushing.

Zodia195
Zodia195
96 Followers