The Midnight Maiden Ch. 07

Story Info
Chapter 7: Dinner for Two.
1.8k words
4.59
8.3k
3
0

Part 8 of the 14 part series

Updated 10/29/2022
Created 12/16/2013
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The Ahlissan Chronicles

~ Book I ~

The Midnight Maiden

Chapter 7: Dinner for Two

The following day found Lord Brion to be in good spirits, even his father commented that there was a spring in his step that normally was not there. The young man felt as if he had not a care in the world and Brion even took more than his usual dispassionate interest in the discussions of the day. While discussing troop commitments with the other representatives Lord Brion had enthusiastically described the Ahlissan Lancers and steadfastly recommended them to the council. Lord Barnard smiled to himself as he watched his son's enthusiasm, as they were leaving he leaned in close to Brion.

"It would seem that love agrees with you my son."

That afternoon Lord Brion took extra care in bathing and dressing for dinner. He decided on a loose white shirt with black embroidery and his red Lancers' sash. Unlike other nights in the garden he decided to wear his rapier this evening if just for the dramatic effect. The page had shined his boots for him and he could see his reflection in them, he reminded himself to give the boy an extra silver penny on his way out tonight. The sun was just beginning to set when there was a knock on the common room door, Brion was waiting and opened the door to see a young girl.

"My Lord, my Shalafi has bid me bring you to her." Brion recognized the term Shalafi as being the elvish word for teacher; he smiled at the young girl and told her to lead on. The girl led him through parts of the fortress that he had not yet seen; Brion guessed that these were the personal living areas of William and his family. Finally they came to a spiral staircase and began to climb, when they reached the top the stairs opened onto a small landing. On the landing was a heavy wooden door with magikal writing inscribed into the wood, Brion could not read it and wondered what was on the other side. The young girl knocked loudly on the door three times and then stepped to the side.

After a minute the door was opened by a woman that Brion had not seen before. She was a little taller than Eryca with brown hair that was pulled up into a bun on top of her head and was dressed in a rich albeit plain grey dress.

"Good evening Lord Brion" she said as she looked him over as if inspecting him "I am Miss Karolyn, Lady Tandris' handmaiden." Karolyn turned her gaze on to the girl. "Thank you Kira, that will be all for today. Now go and study your cantrips and remember what Lady Tandris said about proper pronunciation."

"Yes Miss." The girl said she started down the stairs.

"Lord Brion, please come in my Lady is expecting you."

"Thank you Ma'am." Brion said as he stepped across the threshold into a small room which opened onto a larger balcony. On the balcony was a table set for two, the dinner plates were covered with warming covers and there were several unlit candles set in silver candlesticks. Standing at the railing her back to them was Eryca.

"My Lady, Lord Brion has arrived." Karolyn said to her mistress, although Brion was sure she already knew he was there. As Eryca turned to face them she seemed to spin in place without actually moving, her dress flowed with her and she was backlit by the setting sun. Eryca wore a flowing gossamer gown of light pink while the bodice was a slightly darker pink with silver embroidery, on her brow was a delicate and intricate silver circlet, which pulled her hair back from her face but allowed her auburn locks to tumble down her back. Framed by the setting sun, Brion felt his breath catch in his chest; she was the most beautiful thing he had ever seen.

"Thank you Karolyn, that will be all for this evening, as always you have been indispensible. If you would, could you please check on Kira's studies before you retire? If she doesn't master her pronunciation I'm afraid her cantrips will never work properly." Eryca asked her handmaiden.

"Yes Milady" said Karolyn as she backed out the chamber door "I will check on her and I wish you a good night." The final comment, Brion noticed, was made with a slight knowing smile and he guessed that the two women were closer than the usual mistress and handmaiden relationship. As he heard the door latch shut Brion walked to where Lady Eryca waited.

"Good evening Lord Brion I am so glad to see you here."

Unbidden Brion wrapped his arms around her.

"Please my Lady after all that we have shared don't you think that when we're alone you could call me Brion, Eryca." Brion felt Eryca relax in his arms as he addressed her without her title.

"Yes...Brion." Eryca said as she looked into his bright blue eyes.

Brion dipped his head to kiss her, even away from the garden she smelled sweetly of honeysuckle and lavender. Eryca was warm in his arms and he loved the feel of her body so close to his, their kiss was deep and passionate and it filled him with longing. After a while Brion lifted his head and looked down into her now sea-green eyes.

"Eryca, promise me that from now on when we are truly alone you will always call me Brion. No titles, no presumptions, just us." He looked deeply into her eyes and swore that he could feel her heart beating against his chest so strong was its rhythm.

"You have my word Brion." Eryca replied shyly, breathless from the kiss. "Now please let us relax and enjoy our meal." Brion released her and watched as she blew across the palm of her hand, as if blowing a kiss to a lover. As Eryca blew across the table the candles lit themselves and the plate covers vanished. He moved to pull her chair out which she graciously accepted then seated himself directly across from her.

Brion looked down at his plate to see a small roasted quail surrounded by vegetables and potatoes. The bird was a delicious golden brown and the herbs and spices used to cook the bird smelled familiar, Eryca smiled as she watched him marvel at the meal on his plate.

"Do you like it? I had the cook prepare it using herbs and spices native to your southern homeland."

"My Lady" he said forgetting his own request "it is wonderful! No one has ever prepared something like this for me so far from home, thank you."

"You are most welcome Brion" she said emphasizing his first name "I thought you might enjoy something familiar." He caught her jibe and laughed to himself.

"It seems that I have forgotten myself Eryca." He looked and motioned to the empty wine glasses. "I would offer to fill your glass but it seems that there is no wine bottle." He said smiling.

"Oh! I forgot!" Said Eryca as she waved her hand over them and murmured a few words; the glasses then began to fill themselves from the bottom up. "No bottle needed." Eryca said smiling mischievously.

"You are amazing Eryca, a true wonder." Brion replied picking up his silverware. "And may I say that you look exceptionally stunning this evening."

"Thank you Brion." She said looking at him coyly. "And may I say that you look very handsome."

"You may Eryca." He said laughing heartily as was his way.

They began to eat and discuss the events of their day. Brion asked and learned that Eryca tutored Kira, the daughter of a family friend, in the arcane ways of magik. The couple talked about their various adventures over the past few years. Brion listened intently as Eryca described many of the countries she had visited while working with her grandfather. She talked at length about her time with the elves and how she had come to honor many of their traditions. After much prodding by Eryca, Brion told about some of his military campaigns and talked extensively about his homeland of Ahlissa and what it was like there. Eryca seemed particularly interested in Ahlissa's robust griffon population and the kingdom's herds of wild horses.

After they had finished their meal the two stood by the railing and looked out at the night sky and the lights of the nearby city of Admundfort. Brion relished being this close to Eryca, she was of course beautiful but it was more than that; for Eryca was well traveled and very intelligent and they shared many of the same world views and he loved talking away the hours with her. When Brion held her she just seemed to fit with him in a way left no space between them. They shared many kisses during their interlude, Eryca's kisses were passionate and she always tasted sweet. Brion loved the way her scent enclosed him and it excited him to have his arms wrapped around her, her breasts pressed close to his chest. As the night began to grow cool and the moons were beginning their ascent Brion heard Eryca sigh.

"Brion, I feel so safe wrapped in your arms like this, I never want to leave them." As she spoke Eryca snuggled even closer. Brion looked down at her slightly confused.

"Surely, Eryca as powerful as you are, you are always safe." She smiled against him.

"I am but it is wonderful to be able to drop my defenses and feel safe in the arms of my protector. It's also nice to spend time with a man who cares for, respects and accepts me for who I am."

Brion looked down and placed his finger under Eryca's chin and gently lifted her head until their eyes met. When he spoke it was in the gravest of tones, his normal gentle and humorous tone forgotten.

"Eryca, I will always protect you." Overcome with desire and genuine affection Brion dropped to one knee, holding Eryca's cool delicate hands in his and looking in to her eyes he spoke solemnly.

"Lady Eryca, I commend my body to my family
I give my spirit to the Arch-Paladin
To you, I pledge my strength
Lady Eryca Tandris of Walworth.
I will protect and defend you, never turning away
by my blood, spirit and strength
I vow to you Lady Eryca
Call my name and I shall come
and if I die, know that I die with honor protecting you."

Brion could see the tears running down her cheeks as she accepted his vow of protection. He stood and wiped away her tears, and then he pulled her close to him and sealed his vow to her with a deep and passionate kiss.