The Midnight Maiden Ch. 11

Story Info
Chapter 11: Making Plans.
2.1k words
4.74
7.1k
3

Part 12 of the 14 part series

Updated 10/29/2022
Created 12/16/2013
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The Ahlissan Chronicles

~ Book I ~

The Midnight Maiden

Chapter 11: Making Plans

Two weeks had passed since Lord Brion's contest of honor against Lord Zogrev Yarol, who had left the week prior to return to his home in the County of Urnst. Yarol had left early in the morning with his two squires and another warrior under the cover of darkness. Brion's leg was healing quite well and he had allowed Eryca and Karolyn to apply an herbal mixture under the bandage that promoted healing. Actually, he had politely refused until Miss Karolyn had told him, in no uncertain terms, to sit down and allow them to minister his wound. Lord Brion had also attained a fair amount of fame and respect from the other dignitaries.

During his convalescence he spent many of his days with Lady Eryca. He could often be seen spending time with her during her daily routines. Eryca was indeed responsible for most of the planning that went into the conferences, with Miss Karolyn's help she organized the accommodations and feeding of all the various participants. Lord Brion also watched Eryca in her studies; she showed him her magikal study and the various implements of her art. He also watched as she instructed not only Kira but also other children with varying degrees of magikal ability.

When Brion's legged had fully healed he once again began attending the conference with his father. In his absence many matters had been settled and it seemed that a completed and signed treaty was only weeks away. He decided that it was time to make his final decision concerning Lady Eryca, while he had gained permission to court her; Brion still had to determine the final outcome of their blossoming relationship. While Lord Brion was sure of his feelings for her he still wanted the opinion of his father. One day while having lunch in their suite Brion brought up the subject with Lord Barnard.

"Can ask you a question Father?" Brion said to Barnard as he piled sliced ham and fruit onto his plate.

"Always my son, what is it?" Barnard glanced up at Brion as he filled his own plate.

"What do you think of Lady Eryca, how do you feel about her?

"I think I have made that clear on several occasions Brion. I think she is a wonderful young woman; she is beautiful, intelligent and highly capable. As to my feelings for her, I adore her, you ought to know that." The Ahlissan king then began to stack his ham between two slices of buttered bread. "I think you need to clarify your questions son."

"I think what I am meaning to ask Father is do you think she will make a good queen?" Brion looked at this father expectantly; he knew very well what his question implied. Barnard looked up at this son and a smile spread across his face.

"So you mean to ask me if I think she will make a good wife and future queen of Ahlissa." Brion nodded a wide grin on his usually serious face. "Well of course I do boy! I'm relieved that you are finally deciding on this. William, Astinos and I have been waiting to hear this for days now!" laughed the older man. "Brion, Eryca is a rare jewel. If you want my opinion, I say marry her and never let her go."

Lord Brion sat back relieved that his father felt the same way that he did about all of this. Not that he had ever doubted it but it was nice to have his thoughts and feelings for her confirmed by someone as wise as his father. Barnard interrupted Brion's deep thoughts with a question.

"So how do you intend to ask her? Over dinner or perhaps in that garden you two are so fond of? Personally, I think a moon lit walk would be good, that's how I asked your mother." Brion looked up; he had never heard this story before. He had long since decided that the memory of the death of his mother was too painful for his father to discuss. However, he had noticed that since he had begun to court Eryca his father had begun to mention Brion's mother more often.

"I remember it like it was yesterday" Barnard mused as he ate his lunch "we were still young and living in Zelradton. I was a young nobleman and I had just been commissioned into the army of the Great Kingdom and was about to leave for training. I had come to say goodbye to your mother at her family's estate just outside the city walls. We were walking the grounds, Luna was bright and full that night." Barnard smiled to himself, his eyes seeing far away memories.

"She was a warrior as well but as a woman she was not obligated to military service. Anyway, I looked upon her and I remember being overcome with emotion, I hadn't planned any of this mind you. I took her hands in mine and kneeled before her. Before I knew what I was doing I was asking her to wait for me, she had other suitors of course, and I asked her to marry me the first chance I had leave to come home." Brion watched as a single tear rolled down his father's face that was soon lost in his full beard.

"She said she would wait for me and I left for my training in Rauxes the following morning. I was granted leave before I had to report to my first posting a few months later. We were married on the fourth of Planting on her family's estate. Then she traveled with me to Getheren when I was posted there a few weeks later." Lord Barnard sat quietly for a few moments and then he spoke again more softly this time. "Brion you know how your mother was taken from us while you were still a babe and if she were here now I think she would tell you to hold on to Lady Eryca for as long as you can. The world is a dangerous place and we never know when the ones we love maybe taken from us."

Lord Barnard looked across the table at his son "Well, have I helped you to make up your mind?" he asked looking his usual jovial self again.

"I also think she is perfect Father, I love her deeply and I really can't imagine my life without her. I would love for her to able to return home with us when these treaty talks have ended." Brion said smiling and thinking of their journey home together.

"Well boy you do the asking and I'm sure William and I can make that happen."

Lord Brion spent that afternoon attending the talks with Lord Barnard, at one point he pulled aside a familiar squire and had the boy carry a note Eryca explaining that he would not be able to see her that evening. Brion also sent word to the stable hand to have Armageddon saddled and ready for him before Celene set that night.

* * *

Now he found himself riding across the countryside the dawn quickly approaching behind him trying to decide how to ask what was the most important question of his life. As Brion rode he thought about just the right way to go about it, all he knew was that he wanted it to be special for both of them. Brion' brow furrowed in frustration; he realized he had never planned anything truly romantic before. Realizing this Brion laughed at himself the mighty warrior unable to plan something so simple.

Looking up to take stock of his surroundings Brion saw that he and Armageddon had reached the lakeshore. Pulling the reins tight to signal the great destrier to stop Brion sat for a bit watching the waters of the Nyr Dyv crash onto the rocky shore. The lake was so large that it was almost an inland sea and its depths housed creatures large enough to sink trade vessels. As Brion watched the blue water come ashore in foamy waves an idea formed in his head, yes that was how he would do it! He dug his spurs into Armageddon's side and pulled the reins to the right turning the horse back towards the fortress.

* * *

Lord Brion spent the next day gathering what he needed and readying his plans. Lord Barnard was thrilled to hear Brion's idea but could not assist his son due to his obligations, however, in Astinos, Brion found a willing conspirator. It was agreed that Astinos and two squires who could hold their tongues would have everything ready as Lord Brion wished it. After Brion was sure that all of his preparations had been made he again dispatched the room page to carry a note to Lady Eryca inviting her to a ride the following morning before lunch.

* * *

The next morning Brion rose early and shared the usual morning meal with his father. He told Lord Barnard of exactly what he had planned for the day. Brion's father was delighted to hear what was in store for the two young lovers and wished Brion luck. After breakfast Lord Brion returned to his room and dressed for the day, he wore his usual black boots, pants and loose fitting shirt. Around his waist he tied his red Lancers' sash and over that he belted his rapier. As the day might cool later on Brion threw on his black and crimson traveling cloak. When he was pleased with his appearance he went downstairs to see to Armageddon. When Brion arrived at the stables he saw that Geoff had tied Armageddon to the post out front and was busy readying Eryca's horse.

"Good morning Geoff, how are you this day?" Brion said to the young blonde boy.

"Oh, very fine Sir!" The boy answered as he tightened Eryca's saddle around her horse, a beautiful tobiano paint with a blonde mane and tail and bright blue eyes. Lord Brion walked around the mare and saw that she was sturdy and of good breeding. As he rounded the horses' backside he saw Geoff struggling a bit with the saddle straps.

"Here Geoff like this" Brion said as he showed the boy how to cinch the strap without pinching the horse "if you place your hand in here like this and then pull the strap you won't pinch her."

"Thank you Lord Brion, I'll have to remember that." The boy smiled widely, proud to have learned something new.

"Tell me Geoff do you have any parents or is that old fool Brenan the only one who looks after you?"

"I did Sir but they were killed when a roving group of gnolls attacked our village. The Earl's soldiers found me and brought me to live here in the castle. I liked the horses so the Captain of the Guard assigned me to work with Brenan." Geoff spoke enthusiastically, excited that someone was taking an interest in him. "I don't mind Brenan too much Sir, he treats me decent enough and I get to spend time with the horses like Dru here" he said as he patted the paint's neck. Brion smiled and ruffled the boys' hair as they led Druscilla into the courtyard.

"And just what are you two doing with my horse?" They heard Lady Eryca say as she approached the two. Eryca looked beautiful in flowing gown of pale pink velvet over it she wore a hooded red cloak to ward of the chill; soft brown leather boots protected her feet. Brion and Geoff looked at each other and shrugged trying to look as innocent as possible.

"Nothing my Lady" Brion said as he bowed to Eryca "simply helping to prepare your mount for this mornings' ride." Eryca smiled widely and looked at Geoff.

"Should I believe him Geoff or do you think he is up to no good?" Geoff flushed a deep red in the cheeks as Eryca smiled at him, her green eyes sparkling.

"No M'am, Lord Brion was just teaching me about tightening a saddle. Honest!"

Eryca giggled at the boy's sincerity and then turned her gaze on Brion who was watching the two discuss him.

"Am I forgiven my Lady?" Brion said a mischievous grin on his face.

"For now my Lord but I will be keeping my eye on you." Eryca laughed as she pretended to chide him. "Now if you would be so kind?" She said as she took hold of Druscilla's reins. Brion assisted Eryca into the side saddle helping her to arrange herself and get seated comfortably. He then unhitched Armageddon and seated himself on his own mount. Smiling to each other they said goodbye to Geoff as they rode out the front gate and into the countryside.