The Midnight Maiden Ch. 12

Story Info
Chapter 12: The Burning Question
1.4k words
4.64
7.9k
2

Part 13 of the 14 part series

Updated 10/29/2022
Created 12/16/2013
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Author's Note: I would like to thank everyone who has waited on me to finish this story. I appreciate all the comments that I have received both kind and critical. I would like to add that I have began to go back and revamp the story to add a little more of an adventurous side to it. The additions will help segue to the next novella and sustain the entire series. I will be posting that revised edition in it's' entirety, no waiting for chapters. I have also started the next novella and will be posting its' chapters. Again thank you everyone who has made this journey with Erica and me, we appreciate all of you!

The Ahlissan Chronicles

~ Book I ~

The Midnight Maiden

Chapter 12: The Burning Question

The two young lovers rode across the island for more than an hour talking with Brion asking Eryca many questions about her homeland, what it was like to live on an island, the creatures that swam in the Nyr Dyv also called the Lake of Unknown Depths and about the mysterious lost Isles of Woe rumored to have sank beneath its surface long before the great migrations. Lady Eryca answered all of his questions, excited by his interest in the land she knew and loved. Eventually Brion steered them south of Admundfort and the Earl's fortress toward the southern shores of the island. Finally in the distance, Brion spotted the lonely tree that grew just where the grass began to merge with the sandy shore.

"Do you see that tree in the distance Eryca" Brion said as he pointed it out "let's make our way there and give the horses a rest?"

"I would welcome that Brion, after all riding side saddle is not the most comfortable way to sit atop a horse." She said laughingly, alluding to her discomfort.

They turned their horses in the general direction of the tree making their way there at an even pace. When they were close Brion reined in Armageddon bringing the massive destrier to a halt, he dismounted and then took hold of Druscilla's bridle and held his hand out to help Eryca down. He was about to tie the horses' reins around the tree when Eryca stopped him. He watched as she stroked each horse's head and talked to each of them in the language of the elves.

"They will stay close while we rest ourselves."

"You will have to teach me that someday." Brion said his eyes watching her.

"Hhm... Maybe...someday." Eryca said smiling coyly at Brion.

A wide grin breaking his face Lord Brion took Eryca's hand and walked with her towards the tree. As they came up to it they could see that a thick rug had been laid out on the grass along with some plush pillows for seating, also two large baskets had been placed on the rug, Eryca looked over at Brion smiling at him.

"And what is this, my Lord?" Eryca asked flattered that he had planned on this.

"I have no idea but I suggest that we make ourselves comfortable and enjoy our stroke of luck." Brion laughed and silently thanked Astinos and the two squires for following his instructions so closely. Brion helped Eryca seat herself on the cushions and then sat next to her on his own pillows.

"Well let us see what fortune has granted us, shall we?" He said as he pulled the first basket toward them. When Brion opened the basket Eryca saw that it was well padded with canvas and packed with ice. Out of the ice Brion pulled a bottle of wine and to fine glasses, he offered one to Eryca and uncorked the bottle. They smiled at each other as he poured her glass first and then his own. Sitting down his glass he pushed that basket away and pulled the other one to him. Eryca saw that this basket contained several plates and several bundles wrapped in clean linen. Brion untied the bundles and revealed them to be several kinds of meats, cheeses and various fruits and berries.

Eryca smiled, pleased with his romantic gesture. "It would seem that someone has been raiding the pantries." She said grinning at Brion. "I'll have to have a word with Karolyn about that."

"My Lady I am hurt that you would imply that I came by this without asking." Brion said laughing. "Who is to say that Miss Karolyn did not know?"

"Hhm... Indeed." Eryca said as she raised her glass to her lips.

Brion picked a plate that he had filled with several different things; he picked up a large grape and looked at Eryca.

"If my Lady would permit me?" Eryca nodded smiling shyly as Brion feed her the grape. He looked into her eyes as he watched her eat and proceeded to feed her bites while he ate a few things himself. They sat like that for quite a while with Brion feeding Eryca while they talked, laughed and enjoyed just being with each other. Finally Brion took on a more serious tone and decided that the time was just right. He put down the empty plate and rose until he was kneeling on one knee, then he took Eryca's hands in his and looked into her deep emerald eyes.

"Eryca, my lady" he said solemnly "when I first saw you at my knighting ceremony I was utterly taken with you. Your image was burned into my mind's eye and your beauty made it so that I could not sleep. Then when I found you in the garden all I could do was watch as you danced, I was completely taken with you." He looked down briefly to compose his thoughts and then looked into Eryca's soft eyes which had changed to a fresh spring green. "Ever since then you have let your mark upon my soul at the very core of my being and I find myself unable to be parted from you; every hour that I spend away from you feels like an eternity of torment. Lady Eryca Tandris of Walworth I love you deeply, I am prepared to give my life for you and I pledge myself to you, Eryca would do me the honor of becoming my wife, Lady Eryca Grenwall of Ahlissa?"

As Brion looked into Eryca's eyes waiting for an answer he watched as a few tears rolled down her cheeks. She smiled at him and nodded enthusiastically answering him with a breathless "Yes". Brion took Eryca into his arms tightly and kissed her deeply, their tongues found each other as they showed their love for each other. Eryca finally they broke their kiss and held Brion tightly.

"Brion it is my greatest honor and desire to be your wife and your lady."

Brion smiled again and kissed Eryca deeply for as long as possible. After they had wiped away their joyous tears they finished their picnic while looking out over the Nyr Dyv. They just sat with Brion on his cushions and Eryca on hers' cuddled up under Brion's arm; occasionally they would kiss or tell each other how much they loved each other. Gradually the sun began to dip near the horizon so they packed everything up on the horses and headed back towards the citadel.

* * *

When they returned the handed their horses to Geoff who was excited to see that they had returned, the young boy could see that something significant had happened between the two of them. Brion and Eryca kissed each other and walked into the main entry doors of the grand hall. They were greeted by a small party of well-wishers including William and his wife, Lord Barnard, Astinos and Karolyn, there were tears, hugs and congratulations all around. That night William hosted a special dinner and had the young couple invite their friends and family to share in the joyful celebration. At dinner Eryca and Brion announced that they had decided to marry in the Kingdom of Ahlissa. William said that he would travel with them to attend the wedding and Karolyn made it quite clear that where her Lady went she would follow.

* * *

Within weeks the treaty talks were completed and what became known as the Treaty of Ten Lands was ratified. All the nobles and ambassadors of the ten representative nations signed the document and pledged their support to upholding its tenets. Scribes from the Shield Lands wrote ten copies which were also signed and were to be sent home with each nation's representative. Lord Barnard and Lord Brion assisted William and Eryca with seeing all of the dignitaries off on their trips home. After all of the guests had left for home William's fortress was put back in order and he attended to the business of the Shield Lands while Eryca and Karolyn proceeded to pack and prepare for their journey to the Kingdom of Ahlissa.