The Miler Ch. 01

Story Info
College coach meets attractive athlete.
1.5k words
4.28
20.2k
1
2

Part 1 of the 4 part series

Updated 09/22/2022
Created 11/01/2007
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I clicked my stopwatch four times in rapid succession as the girls crossed the finish line, storing each of their times and then, as quickly as I could, jotting down the names of the girls in the order they finished. Jessica Hale had finished in 4:45; not bad, but not good enough to get her anywhere near nationals and, more importantly, almost eight seconds slower than her pace from the year before. I'd have to look at the splits to see if I could figure out what was going wrong.

"That's it, ladies. Hit the showers."

The exhausted girls did a few last stretches and then collected their towels and warm-up gear before heading toward the door to their locker room. John Landry, the head track coach, who had hired me that summer, walked over.

"How did she look?"

Jessica had been right on the cusp of being a national contender the year before, her junior year. It was hoped that she'd be able to make the leap in this, her final year at Eastern State, to be the first middle distance runner from the school, male or female, to make nationals in a decade. But this time wasn't encouraging. I shook my head dolefully at John.

"4:45. I hope you're going to tell me that she always starts off slow ..."

"Huh. I really don't know how she's progressed through the season. You'll have to check Bill's records."

Bill Tate had been the middle distance coach at Eastern before me. We'd gone to high school and college together. When he'd been diagnosed with liver cancer the year before, he'd sounded me out about taking his place, and then promoted me shamelessly to the athletic director when I told him I'd do it. He passed away over the summer.

"All right. I'll see what I can do. I'd kind of been hoping she'd make me look good without really trying my first year here, though."

John laughed. "Well, you do what you can. Some of the kids are pretty broken up about Bill. You might be doing more babysitting than you'd hoped."

"Yeah," I sighed. "I'm a little broken up about Bill, too. He was a good friend."

"And a good man." John looked away for a moment. He really did know Bill, I thought to myself. John roused himself from his thoughts. "Anyway, are you finding everything you need, Earl?"

"Well, I thought I was supposed to have five girls today. Do you know anything about that?"

"Oh, yeah. Rebecca ... something."

"Rebecca Clark," I finished for him. "Freshman."

"Rebecca Clark," he agreed. "Her grandmother called. Car problems. She won't be here until tomorrow."

"Okay. Well, John, I guess I'd better see if I can find ten spare seconds in Jessica Hale's mile."

John laughed again and nudged my shoulder. "You do that, Earl. I'll see you this afternoon."

* * * * **

I had a small office with a crummy desk in the bowels of the stadium. I rifled through the drawers for a few minutes before finding Bill's file on Jessica Hale, which I folded open and set on the desk. There were a couple of penciled-in spreadsheets with her splits for the mile on various dates, with a few odd marks – circles, underscores, exclamation points – by some of the times. And there was a hand-written note stuck in at the back: "Bill, Looking forward to seeing you this weekend. Jess."

Hmmm ...

Bill had described Jessica Hale as a "queen bee" to me, with a disapproving, almost forewarning tone. Even in the little bit that I had seen of her, I could see what he'd been talking about: the other female runners followed her about like a posse; and at least two and probably three of the boys on the team obviously had the hots for her. There was no doubt that she was a very beautiful girl: a slim runner's build, with probably more curves and bumps than was good for her sport; glorious brunette hair that she wore loose and wavy when she wasn't running; blue eyes; clear, smooth skin; and fine, confident features. Had she made a pass at Bill?

Just then there was a knock at my door, and there she was in person. "Coach James?" She was demurely holding her books over her chest as she stepped into the office and quietly closed the door behind her. I quickly slid her note to Bill back into her folder behind the other papers.

"Uh ..." I supposed that the appropriate thing to do was to invite her in, but I was already too late for that. "What's up, Miss Hale?"

She had already made up her hair very nicely, and with one hand she swept it off of her face as she sat on the edge of my desk, her books still held to her chest. She was wearing a sheer white blouse, through which her lacey bra was easily made out, and a beige skirt that would have been very professional-looking if it had been cut about four inches longer. Her nails had clear lacquer on them, very well done, and she had light make-up on, particularly eye liner and perhaps a very little bit of mascara. Lip gloss rather than lip stick. She was close enough that I could make out that she was wearing a light scent, musk-and-vanilla of some sort, I thought. Even as my body was reacting to her, I reminded myself of Bill's "warning:" queen bee. Had I not stopped myself, I would have said "Buzz ..." out loud.

"I wonder if we could talk about my time today." She took her books away from her chest and set them beside her on the desk, straightening herself and throwing her shoulders back and her chest forward, almost imperceptibly, as she did. I couldn't help but sneak a look at her chest, but then I made myself look into her eyes, which didn't offer much relief. She smiled slightly when our eyes met, a smile of triumph rather than of kindness.

Easy, Earl, I thought to myself. Get control of the situation.

I thought for a moment that if we really did talk about her time today, it'd take the smile off of her face. But that wouldn't take us where we needed to go. I needed a different tack.

I looked at my watch. "You got yourself showered, dressed and made-up, your hair dried, in ... what? Twenty-five minutes?"

She seemed a little surprised at the question, but not concerned. She shrugged and smiled again.

I set my hand firm and flat on the desk by her thigh and slowly stood up next to her, keeping our eyes engaged. "You're a very beautiful woman, Miss Hale ... can I call you 'Jessica?'"

I stood dangerously close to her, leaned over to keep my hand on the desk over her legs.

"Actually, my friends call me 'Jess.'"

"Okay – Jess." I broke my gaze from her eyes and leaned even further forward, over her shoulder, to inhale her scent. "What perfume are you wearing, Jess? It really suits you."

She squirmed backward a bit on the desk and straightened her skirt. "Chanel Number Five," she whispered.

I turned my face toward hers, an inch from kissing her on the mouth. She seemed to turn toward me for an instant, but then pulled back, uncertain.

"Jess?" I whispered, still an inch from kissing her.

"Y-yes?" she whispered back.

"I'm your coach. I need to be in control here. Do you understand that?" I stood and backed up to a more professional distance from her. She looked at me a little wide-eyed and flushed.

"Uh, yeah," she finally said, looking away.

I assessed the situation for a moment. She was probably a little embarrassed, and I had just used the last of my self-control for probably the rest of the month.

"Why don't we ... Jess?"

She looked up at me, no longer confident. "What?"

I stepped forward and brushed a strand of her hair off of her cheek. "Jess, don't think you haven't had an effect on me." I gave her a wry smile. "As soon as you leave, I'm going to take the longest, coldest shower I've ever taken." She chuckled; that was good. "And I'm going to go straight home at the end of the day and make sweet love to my pillow all night long." She laughed.

"Okay," I said. "Friends?"

She smiled. "Sure."

"Good. And that thing about me being the coach and having to be in control?"

"Yeah?"

"I mean it. And right now I am just barely in control, so I need you to leave. We can talk about your time tomorrow. Maybe you should wear a burka."

She laughed. "Okay, coach." She collected her books and started to stand. "Although, I think I'd like to see you out of control sometime. Maybe under different circumstances." This time she gave the wry smile.

"You're killing me. OUT!" I pointed to the door.

She laughed and walked to the door, turning to give me a perfectly adorable pout before leaving.

God! I thought. I probably should take that cold shower.