The Other Half

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

'Please don't apologize, Shaun. That had to be the best sexual experience of my life. Besides, I certainly don't mind getting a little dirty.' With that, she kissed him gently on the lips. Her eyes lowered a little and then she continued, 'I just hope.. with this happening so soon after meeting, that you.. you know.. don't think badly of me.'

Shaun barked a laugh. 'No, Molly, I most certainly do not. If anything, you have reached a level of perfection seldom seen outside romantic fiction. Now, I hope you don't judge me when I say that I am quickly developing feelings for you.'

'Well, I'm just glad that's mutual, then,' she responded with a smile. 'Care to shower?'

A sly, suggestive smile was his only reply.

_______________________________

The next week flew by. Molly spent most of her workdays getting badgered by Sally about Shaun. Sally literally seemed to be over the moon about how well things were working out between the other two.

'So,' Sally began, drawing out the O a bit longer than was necessary. 'It's Valentine's Day, Molly. What do you guys have planned?'

'Oh, you know.. we haven't even talked about it. But, honestly, Sal, it's been a whopping week, I don't expect much. I mean, we've spent a lot of time together, but.. I don't know.. wow, are we in a relationship? Do you celebrate stuff like Valentine's when you're only a week on?' Suddenly, she was anxious. Should she get him a gift? Would he get her one? What if he did, but she didn't? And vice versa? The thought weighed on her mind throughout the rest of her day. Finally, on her way home, she opted for the simple approach. Since they were already intimate, she'd put on her best lingerie and let him unwrap her. She giggled at how silly that sounded.

A few miles from home, her cell phone rang. It was Shaun.

'Hello there, sexy,' she spoke into the phone.

'Hello there, gorgeous. Listen, I'm not going to be able to make it tonight. This wedding reception I'm shooting for is running a lot later than planned. Raincheck?'

Feeling far more disappointed than she would have expected to, seeing as how this relationship, if that's what it actually was, was still new, she was quiet for a few seconds.

Not wanting to sound like the clingy girlfriend so early in the game, she responded, 'Of course! No problem at all, we can hang out tomorrow, if you want.'

Shaun agreed and they said their goodbyes. Silently berating herself for reacting that way, she released a large sigh and was already thinking about what book she was going to read that night. Alone in bed. Another lonely Valentine's Day. Jesus, shut-up, will you? She mentally scolded herself. Pathetic.

Molly pulled into her driveway and got out of the car. She was halfway to her door when she noticed her walkway was covered in rose petals. Her feet stopped moving, and she looked around, bewildered. With her eyes, she followed the trail to her door, where a heart shaped object hung from her doorknob. Slowly, she continued to her house, still confused.

Upon reaching her door, she removed the hanging heart. It turned out to be a rather large locket of some kind. Molly opened it to find a beautifully scripted note inside:

Hello, my beautiful Molly. You don't honestly believe I'd miss our first Valentine's Day together, do you? Maybe it's too soon to consider us a couple, and if you're not comfortable with it, we can slow it down. This is just me telling you that the past week has been beyond words. You are the light at the end of all my dark tunnels. You've awoken butterflies in my stomach, and plastered smiles on my face that I'm sure will never be wiped clean. Would you care to join me for a romantic dinner? Come inside...

Grinning ear to ear, she opened her door. Her jaw dropped as her hand came up to cover her mouth in surprise. Every surface in her living room was covered in what she imagined to be every flower within a five mile radius. While she was still ogling the floral display, Shaun walked out of the kitchen. Suddenly, she realized how delicious her home smelled. He was holding a single rose looking both hopeful and slightly apprehensive.

Molly recovered just enough to speak, 'I don't know what to say. This,' she gestured to the room with a wave of her arm, 'is amazing. You're amazing.'

She dropped her purse and coat on the sofa and went to stand in front of him. The smile couldn't be wiped from her face as she took the rose he offered her.

He spoke softly, 'So, this isn't too much too soon?'

'Not at all. It's amazing and I couldn't have asked for a better end to my day. I..' she hesitated, mustered up her courage, and continued, 'I love you.'

They embraced, holding each other tight, and Shaun spoke softly, 'I love you, too.'

'Where have you been all my life,' Molly whispered in his ear.

'Waiting for you,' he whispered back.

____________________________

A Lifetime Later....Feb. 14th, our 40th Valentine's Day

Forty years is a long time to some, but for us, it is only the beginning. For us, it is a moment, fleeting, and gone too soon. The kids have all grown. My looks have faded, along with the hair. But, you and I, my dear Molly, are eternal. Our love spans galaxies not yet discovered. Our hearts were incomplete before we met. Two parts made a whole. Thank you for protecting my heart inside yours, and for making me the luckiest, happiest man in all the world. Thank you for my happy ending.

All my love, and so much more,

Your Shaun.

Molly's wrinkled hands held the note to her heart. She scooted a bit closer to Shaun on the porch swing, wrapped the blanket tighter around them. Their gnarled hands intertwined and, together, they watched the sun roll behind the mountains. The end of another wonderful day, in a long succession of so many.

'To forty more, my love,' Shaun whispered.

'To forever, my sweet,' she answered, resting her head on his shoulder, feeling, as she had for the past forty years, utterly happy.