The Other Woman

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
JakeRivers
JakeRivers
1,063 Followers

"God damn you, Bobby! Where have you been all night? Your clothes look like you slept in them. I've been really worried. Were you with some woman? Dammit, you were, weren't you? If you think you can get away with that shit ... "

She was all red and looked ready to bust a gut. I just looked at her for a minute, kinda neutral like, and walked over to the fridge. Ireally needed a cold one. I drank half of it down and asked her, quietly, "Dottie, you know anyone that has a white, year-old F-250 crew cab with stakes on the back?"

I downed the rest of the beer and tossed the bottle in the general direction of the trashcan. From the noise of breakin' glass I guess I missed. Dottie had sit down, lookin' a little greenish like the time I tried to get her to eat escargot at that French restaurant in San Antone. I gave her a glare like the one she gives me when I come in from shovelin' the horse stalls and forget to clean off my feet.

I just walked out the door makin' sure to shove the screen wide open so it would give a nice satisfyin' slam. I jumped back in my truck and drove right back where I came from. I was thinkin' of a line from an old Don Rich song: " ... I'm gonna find somebody that's gonna love me like I once loved you."

When I got to Annie's place, she was doin' the same thing I'd been doin' earlier – sittin' on the porch sippin' from a mug of steamin' coffee. I sat down on the bench next to her and gave out what musta been the loudest, saddest sigh ever. She didn't say anything – just went inside and came out with a mug for me. Handin' me the coffee, she sat down, givin' her own sad sigh.

With a small smile, she looked up at me, "We're a likely lookin' couple, ain't we?"

I gave her a small smile back and took her hand in mine. "Wal, I don't know, Annie. I'm sittin' here with the purttiest gal west of San Antone. I know a great place for a picnic and I betcha I can find a good place to go dancin' tonight. Do you think that gal would like to do this with me?"

She looked at me for a long minute – lookin' like she was tryin' to make up her mind – then scooted over close, took my arm in her tiny hands and leaned into me. "Sure, Bobby," she said in a quiet voice, not lookin' at me now. "I ... I've had a hard time. I'm not ready to ... you know. But I'm lonely and I know you're hurtin' too. And, Bobby, I do like you a lot. You never knew it but I had the most godawful crush on you before I met Bill."

I turned to her, taking her small frame tight in my arms. I kissed her on the top of the head, buryin' my face in the thick curls. She smelled like those yeller flowers that bloom in the spring on the mountain meadows.

"Annie, I just need a friend now. Someone that can make me smile a little. I've got this big empty place where I used to have a lot of love ... and it hurts a lot. I like you – maybe more than a friend - but I do respect you and how you feel right now.

"Hey? If you give me a big smile, I'll take you on a picnic. Okay, Annie?"

We stopped by the market in Sabinal, pickin' up fried chicken, potato salad and a six-pack of Shiner Bock. I kept a cooler in the back of my truck so we put the lunch there with a bag of ice. Annie had brought some plates and stuff from her kitchen. We would pick up her truck on the way back.

I knew a place I'd been fishin' a lot on the Frio River up by Concan. It was about a quarter mile hike from the road but there was a big live oak leanin' over a still, deep pool of water. There was a fair sized grassy meadow and all in all it was a quiet and pretty place.

I put down a quilt she'd put in the truck and she got the lunch ready. That was one of the best meals I'd ever had – sittin' on that quilt with Annie. The food was simple but good. Afterwards we lay down with her head on my shoulder.

She was quiet for a long time – I thought she'd gone to sleep when I heard her whisper, "Do you still want to go dancin' tonight?"

"Yeah, I do, but my clothes are kinda mussed."

"Oh, that's nuthin'. I can fix that when we get back to my place. Bobby, this place you want to go. Do you think Dottie is gonna be there?"

Damn! I hadn't thought about that. "I guess she might. Is that a problem for you?"

"Well, are you tryin' to use me, Bobby? Tryin' to get back at her or make her jealous or somethin." She sounded a little mad with this.

I considered that for a long minute. "No, no, I don't think so. It's a nice place with a great band and I wanted to take you somewhere nice. I don't deny I'd like to see her dancin' with this guy and maybe let her see I'm not home alone."

"Just don't use me, Bobby. Just ... please don't."

I could feel her shakin' a little – I guessed she was cryin'. I put my arms around her holdin' her tight. As I thought about what I wanted ... and maybe what I didn't want, she fell asleep. I was thinkin' that, no, I wouldn't hurt her as I fell asleep too.

It was late in the day when we woke. We gathered everything up and walked back to the truck. I dropped her off at the bar so she could pick up her truck and followed her home.

She rummaged around in the closet and found a box of Bill's old things. The pants were fine but the shirts were a tad tight in the shoulders but were okay ... 'cept the shirt was a lot flashier than I liked to wear – all flowers and things. There was a fine Stetson on the shelf in a plastic bag that fit fine. While Annie pressed the clothes, I shined my shoes and took a shower. I used her razor to shave with but kept gettin' this image of her shavin' her legs while takin' her shower. Damn!

I finished that last beer while she got ready. I have to say she cleaned up real well! She had on some newish cowgirl boots, a full denim skirt and a pretty shirt with even more flowers than Bill's had.

We drove over to the same dance hall I'd seen Annie at those two nights ago. It was pretty late, maybe nine-thirty when we got there. I saw Dottie with her 'friend' and another couple sittin' close to the band. I grabbed a table maybe three or four tables down from the band from where she was. I wanted her to know that I was here but I didn't want to have to look at her with her friends.

Annie and I danced a few numbers. Ever once in a while Dottie would be dancin' close and each time she looked a little madder. I could see she was workin' up to somethin' and I should have skedaddled and took Annie home. But sometimes I ain't as smart as I should be.

Finally during a slow dance Dottie had her temper take over from whatever sense she'd had. She grabbed Annie by the shoulder and pulled her away from me.

"Is this the slut you slept with last night?"

Unfortunately this came just as the band finished the song and it came outreal loud! Annie turned a bright red and started cryin'.

I stared at Dottie a few seconds – I think I had some idea of countin' to ten – but I was too pissed.

Consciously making myself as loud as Dottie had been, I yelled at her, "You know what a slut is? A slut is a tramp that goes out to some man's truck, gets in the back seat, and throws her dress over the seat! It's not hard to guess what happens after that, is it? Now, Dottie, this is what I saw you doing Thursday night with that little asshole standin' over there. So you know, Dottie, I guess that makesyou the slut!"

With that I grabbed Annie's hand and walked quickly back outside. I put her in the truck, walked around, and drove to her house. She didn't want me to come in – she was still cryin' and I could see she was upset.

"Annie, I'm sorry. I had no idea she would do somethin' like that. Dammit, she's probably been runnin' around for years on me and gets mad at me just for dancin'."

I took her and led her over to the bench on the front porch. "Annie, I don't want you to go in upset like this. Please sit on the porch with me for a while, okay?"

I took my handkerchief and wiped her tears away as we sat down. I put my arm around her and we sat there for fifteen minutes or so. I could feel the tenseness ease out of her as she gradually relaxed. Finally I stood up and held out a hand for her. I held her closely for a bit then kissed her nose lightly. Neither of us said anything as I turned and went over to my truck. I could see her standing there as I drove off.

When I got back to the ranch I saw asshole's truck sittin' in the yard. I jerked open the screen door and saw them sittin' there drinkin' beer.

Dottie started, "Bobby! He was just givin' me a ride home."

I grabbed the beer from his hand and tried another throw at the trashcan. Damn! I cain't throw for shit. I grabbed the kid's shirt and, opening up the screen, threw him outside. He scrambled up and ran for his truck.

I turned back to Dottie. "Dammit, its bad enough you go whorin' around with this guy, but ... damn! How could you let him drink my beer?"

With that I walked away and spend the next two nights at the line shack. Sunday I went over to Annie's and we sat around and talked. She was still pretty upset. I think it was more at me than Dottie but she didn't say anything. She was just real quiet. That night I took her out for steaks at a nice place in Sabinal. Monday she fixed me dinner and afterwards I lay down with her until she fell asleep.

Dottie had been leavin' messages for me and I figgered it was time to settle things.

THE OTHER WOMAN

"... for it was you who was careless

and you drove me into another's arms"

-"The Other Woman" by Don Rollins

I don't know what Dottie wanted to do but I knew it was over for me. Was somethin' goin' to happen with Annie? I didn't know but I was beginnin' to hope so. I guess what tore things with me was when I realized I'd rather spend time with Annie than with Dottie.

I couldn't believe how I'd changed my perspective in just a couple of days. That night I saw her in that truck - saw that dress flyin' over the seat – I'd been devastated. Now it came to me that it had been my pride that was ruined and I actually felt pretty good. Bottom line? My marriage had been over for a couple of years but no one got around to telling me about it.

I didn't see any problem with a divorce. Dottie's dad was kinda crazy about buyin' land. He'd never sell any – just kept on buyin'. Three/four years ago he'd started putting Dotties name on all the property. She basically gave him her paycheck and he put it into land. So she didn't have any cash but her holdings in the land with her dad was worth more than the value of my ranch.

Damn! I had us divorced already and I hadn't even talked to her yet.

I set somethin' up with her for the next Saturday to talk. Meanwhile we just seemed to avoid each other – I guess neither of us was lookin' forward to layin' it all out.

Friday night we was both home and she did fix a nice dinner. I'd played hooky from work that day and drove down to Choke Canyon Reservoir. It was a ways south of San Antone, a little over a hundred miles from the ranch to the spot where I liked to fish. I caught a mess of large mouth bass and to her credit, Dottie did know what to do with them.

We were still kinda stayin' away from each other so we didn't talk too much. Later I was sittin' on the front porch slowly nursin' a beer and thinkin' about our meeting the next day. 'Bout ten Dottie came out wearin' a black teddy. Now Dottie in a black teddy is a sight to behold – and I gotta confess that at least some parts of me were surely interested.

I looked at her for a minute and told her, while I wiggled the bottle in my hand, "I'll be in as soon as I finish my beer."

Now I know I did wiggle that bottle – and I confess there are those that would think I meant I'd come in when I finishedthat bottle – but what I meant was what I said. I'd come in when I finished my beer. And somewhere around two, there were eight empty bottles lined up on the porch rail. And I'm here to tell ya, I wasfinished with my beer. I knew she'd be pissed but, as I went in to sleep on the cowhide sofa in the ranch office, I wasn't too worried about it. What was she gonna do, cheat on me? Mebbeso, mebbeso!

The next mornin' while I was takin' my coffee on the porch, she came out dressed in a tight yeller sundress that she'd used in the past to twist me around her finger. Some guys would do anything to get that sundress off her.

I gave her a bleak look, "You wanna talk this mornin'?

"Yes, Bobby. That's the plan we made."

"Okay, then, go change that dress into a shirt and jeans and wear your ridin' boots."

She looked at me for a minute like I was crazy but finally shook her pretty head and flounced back in the house. When she came back out, I had a pinto I especially liked and had her roan mare saddled.

I didn't say anything – just mounted up and started walkin' my horse across country towards the line shack. I could hear her quietly cussin': it sounded somethin' like, " ... damn pig headed ... "

I picked the line shack 'cause this was my turf; she almost never went up there. I also didn't want any interruptions – no phone calls, no stompin' out, nuthin'. I wanted us to resolve everything and to do it today.

I took the saddles off and slipped the bits of the reins and turned the horses loose in the small corral. I'd stocked up stuff for sandwiches – we had electricity out to the line shack but no phone line.

There was a picnic table under the big live oak so we sat down there. She was on the seat and I was sittin' on top of the table.

I got us started, "Dottie, I'd like to ask a couple of questions first, then we can talk about anything you want to. First, what's important toyou, I mean in our marriage – what's important between you and I?"

She was quiet for a while, then lookin' up at me she replied, "Well, I don't think we go out enough. I know you're tired after working on the ranch all day but I like to go out dancin' and stuff. I really enjoy it."

"Okay, Dottie, I can see that. I like to do that stuff too but you are right – Iam tired and just don't have the energy to go out during the week. What else do you have to tell me? And how long've you been sleepin' around?"

She looked down at the ground and didn't say anything for the longest time. Finally lookin' up she replied, "Oh, Bobby! I'm so sorry. The first time was a couple of years ago. It was kinda like with us. I'd gone out to this guy's ranch for an appraisal and when we finished it was late." She looked down again as she continued, " I stayed for dinner and we had a couple of drinks, and ... oh, Bobby, I'm so sorry."

I didn't reply. What she said hurt ... it hurt a lot but it almost seemed like it was happening to someone else. Maybe my pride was hurt more than anything.

Finally she started again, "I don't know. I've always loved you, Bobby. You know that. I guess, well, maybe I didn't love you enough. It wasn't a lot of guys – four altogether counting Jerry which started a couple of weeks ago. None of them lasted more that a few weeks. It's just that every once in a while ... "

Here she drifted off into silence, lookin' like she was worryin' over somethin'. "Bobby, is there someone else? Is Annie the other woman?"

She said "other woman" like she'd eaten somethin' sour.

A little stronger, she continued, "Is there, Bobby?"

I waited her out – waited until she looked up at me. I gently shook my head, "No, Dottie. There's been no one. I knew things weren't always goin' well between us but I sure never expected to see what I saw last week. If someone had told me they saw what I did, I'd of beat the crap out of them. I feel ... well, I feel soiled."

"About Annie? Well, nuthin' has happened – in fact the first time I saw her in over a year was the day after I saw you in that guy's truck. Nuthin' happening was her choice. I have to say I was ready for anything I was so down over us. Do I want somethin' to happen? I'd have to say yes. But, Dottie, in no way is Annie or anyone else "the other woman."

She started crying a little over that and then asked, "What happens now, Bobby? Can we make it or is it over?"

Tumbling that around in my mind, I answered, "Well, Dottie, do you want to stay together knowing there would be no more runnin' around?"

Looking up, she replied, "Bobby, I really would like to stay with you. You are a great guy – the nicest man I've ever met." Turning her head, looking off down the hill, she said softly, "But, Bobby, in some ways that's not all that I want. I don't know if I can give you what you want and need from me. I'm sorry, Bobby!"

"Well, Dottie, that's pretty much how I feel. I couldn't live with you doin' this stuff. I've thought a lot about it the last few days and I think we were too young when we got married. The lust was great for a few years but, when we needed somethin' deeper, it just wasn't there."

I put my hand on her shoulder, "Dottie, let's not make this ugly. Why don't you move in with your dad for a couple of months and then we can get back together and see where we are. I'm not asking anything of you but I won't do anything with anyone else. I will be datin' Annie if she wants to but I won't have sex with her until we make a final decision. Is that okay?"

She leaned her head against my leg and wrapped her arm around it. She sat there for the longest time and then stood up with a sigh and looked at me. "Yeah, Bobby, I think that's best. I want to keep you as a friend – I know my dad likes you a lot. I'll call you if I need anything."

With that I saddled the horses and we made it back down the hill to the ranch house. I helped Dottie pack a couple of suitcases and several boxes and put them in the back of the Jeep. I watched her as she got behind the wheel – marveling once again what a beautiful woman she was. I thought of a song I'd heard by Faron Young a couple days ago called "The Other Woman."

The other woman isn't prettier than you

But the other woman soothes my wounded pride

I felt kinda strange – I mean a major part of my life was getting' ready to drive away. Before the dust of her Jeep had settled, I was sittin' on the porch with a cold beer seein' Annie laying on her bed with her skirt hiked up and her hair scattered all loose over her pillow. It wasn't so much as a sexual thought – although there was that – it's that this image had grabbed my imagination ... maybe found a home in a corner of my heart. She was certainly gettin' under my skin.

I wanted to move slowly with her. There was a rodeo comin' up in Uvalde in a couple of weeks and I called to invite her. She asked how things were with Dottie.

"Annie, I'd rather not talk about that over the phone but I do want to talk about it."

"Okay, Bobby. Can you make it to Willy's Tavern tomorrow at seven? I want to hearall about this."

So we agreed and when I got there I sat down at a booth waitin' for Annie. The same damn cowboy was still playin' the juke box feelin' sad about losin' his love to "the wild side of life."

Annie came in and sat next to me and we decided to have coffee. I told her about the meeting at the line shack and how it had ended.

"Annie, I told her I'd like to start datin' you." I guess I looked a little scared.

"What else, buster?" she asked with an non-committal tone in her voice.

Turning a little red, I replied, "I also told her I wouldn't have sex with you until we made a final decision!"

I thought she was mad for a minute but then she hit me in the side with her elbow, "Like you had anything to say about it anyway!" Then she started laughin', "Yes, you can date me and, yes, you cain't have sex with me until you agree on a divorce."

She did have me over for dinner one night and afterwards she sat on my lap as we kissed for a while. The rodeo was fun and we both knew a lot of the competitors so one or another of them would come over and say hi. We went out for dinner afterwards and one Saturday I took her up to the line shack for a picnic.

JakeRivers
JakeRivers
1,063 Followers