The Pandora Effect Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
boneams
boneams
739 Followers

"Has there been any progress yet?"

"Not yet Gabriel. The team has just been picked up, it should start soon though. I just pray that he could do more to help them."

"I've already told you before. He's done all he's going to do," Gabriel replied with an authoritative voice.

"Maybe it will be enough with Newton and Dvorska along with them."

"Ah yes, Dvorska, I've met his father a few times. He has a strange sense of humor that one does."

"I agree Sir, but Marta is the sweetest being up here in my opinion. I'll continue to monitor the situation and let you know if there's a change."

**********

Commander Reinhardt walked into his stateroom, followed by a dripping Adam Dawson and Garrett Brown. As they toweled their hair, Reinhardt closed the door and locked it. The two operators could tell he was not a happy camper when he turned around.

"Now would you mind telling me who the hell you guys are and what you're doing on my boat!"

"Sorry for the lack of info Commander. I'm Lieutenant Dawson and this is Mr. Garrett. I'm with..."

"Excuse me Lieutenant. Did you just say – Mr. – Garrett?"

"Yes Sir, he's with me and it's better if we leave it like that. I'm with SEAL Team Two and we need the gear on your boat to get aboard the Naqada as quickly as you can get us close."

"You wouldn't mind filling me in on why you need to get on..." Reinhardt started to ask but Garrett quickly cut him off.

"Yes, he would Commander. I'm under orders by the President to stop the people on that ship and retrieve or destroy the package they have."

"Fine – Mr. – Brown, but let's get something straight right now. You clowns get my boat compromised, I won't care if you're under orders from God, I'll leave you in the middle of the Med to die."

"Fair enough. You only have to follow it until we recover the package and then we head to the nearest port, after that you'll never see us again," Garrett said.

"Hell, I'm sorry I met you now. When do you want to deploy?"

"Just as soon as you can get us to within three hundred yards," Adam said quickly, hoping to defuse the tension growing in the room.

"Then have your men ready to go in thirty minutes – Lieutenant," the Commander said and then walked out of the stateroom.

**********

The large dark brown werewolf lay on the cold steel deck. He had his massive head resting on top of his powerful front leg and breathing deeply. He knew he could trust the guard at the hatch to keep it secure as requested. Even though Kevin didn't understand why Jake needed to change into his deadly other form, he allowed him to remain undisturbed for a brief period of time.

Jake craned his fur-covered head, as his large pointed ears twitched to tune in the conversation just outside the tightly secured hatch. He could hear Bob Holiday questioning Kevin about the need for security on the hatch when they were about to deploy. He knew he was safe when he smelled the wet body of Director Brown approach.

"Give it a rest Chief, Jake always does this before we insert. He goes off somewhere quiet for about ten minutes and then when he gets back he's probably the most alert point man I've ever seen."

"I doubt that Brown. I've seen Dvorska here sniff out shit that would get most teams killed. There's no way that Marine is better than him," Bob said defiantly.

Adam placed his hand on his team Chief's shoulder. "If you two are done, we now have fifteen minutes to get to the lockout chamber. Kevin, get Jake out of there so we can get this over with."

Kevin gave three knocks on the steel hatch then walked away with his team leader. Within moments, Jake exited the small space and followed the rest of the group to the lockout chamber. Now that he was in tune with his werewolf senses, he would be able to notice any danger that might be lurking around them.

**********

Mansur Alba looked down from the bridge of the Naqada towards the bow of the ship. Even though he couldn't see the canister, he knew the deadly virus was safely secure. Once the vessel rammed into any structure, it would release the disease upon the unsuspecting humans. Bashir's plan was working brilliantly. Soon, werewolves would become the dominate species of the world.

He turned his head and tried to hear the screams of the crew locked below. It had been some time since the noise stopped and he knew their rotting corpses now occupied the aft hold. He looked down to the tearful face of the woman who lay bound and gagged on the floor.

"Why do you worthless beings cry all the time? Just accept what's going to happen to you. I promise after I'm done using your body for my pleasure, I'll kill you quickly."

**********

Alpha fire team, along with Garrett and Jake, checked all the scuba equipment and waited for the go signal from Commander Reinhardt. Everyone was quiet as they each thought about their particular assignments. Garrett knew he had one more piece of information to divulge to the SEALs, he just didn't know how to put it.

Suddenly the internal com system went off. Adam opened the waterproof compartment and picked up the handset. "Roger that Commander, two minutes. Should take us about an hour to clear the ship and get out."

Adam secured the phone and looked at his men. As usual, they seemed cold as ice as they prepared to deploy. Garrett on the other hand couldn't hold the statement any longer. "There's one more thing gentlemen."

"We're about to deploy Garrett. You've picked a hell of a time to add to the situation," Adam said.

"I have to be up front with you guys. We've all seen what that shit does to mice. My guess is that the crew is dead, maybe even turned by now. If you encounter them, don't hesitate to kill them. One other thing, if Mansur did release the Pandora virus on the crew I have orders to sink that ship and everyone on it."

"Do you really think that maniac let that shit loose while still on board?" Carl asked.

"I can only assume he did. If that's true and anyone of us are infected, I won't hesitate to put a bullet in through your brain, so use your masks at all times. I expect the same from each of you if it hits me. Trust me you'd be doing me a favor."

Suddenly, a green light illuminated on the control panel and the team put the mouthpieces in. As Adam pushed the large red button, the lockout chamber began to flood with seawater. Within just a few moments, the chamber was totally consumed and Chief Bob Holiday opened the hatch to the outside world of the Mediterranean Sea.

**********

One of the mercenaries, Raul Comceck, tossed his pair of Queens on the table in disgust. It was the fourth hand in a row he had lost to his acquaintances. As he stood up, he glared at the group as he watched his money being pulled over to the winner.

"It's a good thing I have to relieve Wilhelm topside, or I'd beat every one of you for cheating me out of my money."

"Don't be a sore loser Raul. We're going to be on this rat trap for another week so you'll have plenty of time to get your money back," one of them said.

Raul walked out, ignoring the group who were all smiles as they counted their winnings. As he walked towards the ladder that would bring him to the next level, he started to smell a foul odor. He instantly recognized it as that of rotting flesh and wondered if they should start sleeping outside on deck.

"I know I won't be able to stand that smell for another week," Raul said to himself.

**********

The last man to climb into the Zodiac was John Balch. After he checked his MP5, he looked at Bob who would be his teammate as they went below decks. He nodded his head at the young medic while Carl turned the throttle on the outboard motor. With the muffler installed, it was almost silent as the team headed towards the darkened ship.

It took little time to come within a hundred yards of the stern where a mounted ladder awaited the SEALs. Adam brought the handheld starlight scope up and placed his eye to the night vision device. As he scanned the main deck, he saw two roving guards on either side and one positioned high on the superstructure.

"Okay V-man, time to show the CIA your sniper skills. I have two tangos on the main deck. The one on the port side is walking away and should be clear any second. The starboard guy is lining up for a clean shot. I also have one high on the port side of the superstructure, looks like he's the sniper."

Dan Vasquez unzipped the waterproof bag that held the SR-25 silenced sniper rifle. Once the high powered night vision scope was in place, he raised the weapon to his shoulder. The small zodiac was bouncing and V-man had a hard time keeping his target in acquisition.

"Damn Carl, think you can make it rougher? Kevin, I could use a shoulder if you don't mind."

Kevin hunched down in the middle and V-man placed his left elbow into Kevin's shoulder. As he looked through the scope, he saw the tango turn his face towards the zodiac. He couldn't see or hear the team and his sniper rifle was propped up on the railing next to him.

"Hello dick head, nice to see you again," he muttered and then lovingly squeezed the trigger.

It took mere seconds for the 7.62mm round to reach its target. As it pierced the right lung of the mercenary, he was suddenly flung backwards against the railing. V-man saw his head slump down and his body remained motionless.

"Sniper down, looking for number two." V-man took a deep breath and then let his second shot fly. A smile crossed his face as he watched the back of the sentry's head explode in a mass of skull and brain matter.

"Starboard sentry down for the count Boss."

"Nice shots Vasquez, we could use you in the agency," Garrett said.

"No thanks, I already have a job."

"Alpha squad, get ready to board. Everyone knows where to go so let's hurry up and get this done. If you find the canister, report in immediately," Adam said as he clicked the safety off his MP5SD.

The zodiac moved into position and Adam tied it off to the bottom rung of the ladder. Everyone had their weapons trained on the deck above them in case someone looked down. Adam Dawson was the first up, and it took him little time to clear the ladder the point his 9mm assault weapon down the port side.

As the rest of the team made their way up, they gathered around Adam to secure the stern of the ship. When everyone was on board, the group quickly separated into four smaller assault teams. Garrett and Jake moved up the starboard side, followed by Bob and John who swept the area around them. When they reached the first hatch, the two SEALs broke away from the S.A.D. men and headed below decks.

Adam and Kevin led the way to the adjoining hatch on the port side. As they passed it, Carl and V-man disappeared quickly inside. The senior SEAL and his point man continued forward until they came to an open area. As they swung their MP5's toward the starboard side, they saw Garrett and Jake preparing to open an access hatch to the aft hold.

They quickly joined them and survived the area for more sentries. Just before they opened the hatch, the sentry that they spotted on the way in came around the corner. Kevin raised his weapon, but Jake beat him to the shot as he quickly fired a three round burst from underneath his arm.

Adam looked at Kevin with a puzzled look. "What the hell has gotten into you? Get your senses working shithead."

Kevin shrugged his shoulders and continued scanning the area as Garrett lifted the hatch. As soon as it was open, Jake shoved the muzzle into the opening. What he saw made his stomach contract quickly and he turned his head away trying hard not to vomit into his mask. Adam moved forward and peered into the opening.

The aft hold was dimly lit, but Adam instantly knew what he was looking at. About half of the small crew was lying on the deck of the hold. They were missing legs or arms and the area around them was covered with blood and spilled intestines. There were at least seven intact humans slowly stumbling around the confines of the space.

Adam wondered if the zombie like crewmembers could sense they were being watched from above as he looked around the aft hold quickly. Suddenly his eyes darted to a large screen that was dangling from an opening about eight feet off the floor. He looked up and signaled Garrett to look inside at the far bulkhead.

When Garrett saw the vent screen, his heart sank. He realized that some of the crew must have made it out before they succumbed to the deadly virus. He looked back up at Dawson and his face was pale as he tried to control his rising fear. Garrett reached up to his throat and pushed his mike button.

"All team members listen up. Some of the crew escaped the aft hold. I repeat, some of the crew escaped, watch your six."

**********

Raul Comceck walked towards the hatch that led to the main deck. Just before he lifted the lever, the smell of rotting flesh became stronger and he turned around. He had no time to pull his sidearm as he saw what used to be the Chief Engineer rush towards him. His now sunken eyes glared at his victim as he sunk his teeth into Raul's meaty shoulder.

As he felt his flesh being torn from his body, he screamed out at the top of his lungs. He tried to push his attacker off him but he was too strong, and blood was now pouring out of his torn body. With his last ounce of strength, he pulled his Berretta out and fired the entire magazine into the Chief Engineer's chest. They had no effect as Raul slumped to the deck and died.

**********

The four operators on the main deck turned towards the sound of a weapon being emptied. Garrett and Jake continued up the starboard side as Adam and Kevin moved up the port. As Kevin passed a large steel door, he heard a growling sound and started snapping his fingers to get Adam's attention.

He quickly opened the door as Adam stared down the sights of his assault weapon. The ravaged body of one of the mercenaries lay torn and dismembered on the deck as the zombie like creature looked up and snarled at him. Adam placed three rounds through its skull and watched as it dropped to the floor. Kevin joined him as he put two of his own shots into the brain of Raul Comceck.

The two SEALs continued until they reached the metal stairs leading towards the bridge. They went up about half way and then Adam hit his mike button. "Team one in position port side."

"Team two ten seconds out," he heard Garrett respond.

Adam counted to five and then rushed up the stairs and stormed into the bridge. He was about to fire a burst into the chest of Mansur Alba, but held his shot as the terrorist pulled the naked body of a young woman in front of him. The situation became tense now that he had a human shield to protect him.

In a flash, Garrett and Jake rushed in from the starboard door and aimed their weapons at Mansur's head. As Kevin entered, his suspicions proved correct as his senses went crazy being this close to another werewolf. Mansur carefully looked to both sides of the room as he held his Berretta against the head of the struggling woman.

"We'd rather take you alive Mansur, but we can play this any way you want," Garrett said.

Mansur stared hard at Kevin and then back over to Jake. With two other werewolves in the confined space, he would be hard pressed to make it to the main deck without sustaining serious damage.

"If you wanted me alive, why did bring them along?" Mansur said as he indicated to Jake and Kevin.

Adam quickly stepped up but lowered his weapon. He had to do something to end this before Garrett realized what he was truly up against. He had one chance to keep Mansur in his human form, if not, this was going to turn ugly quick.

"I tell you what Mansur, why don't you just tell us where the canister is and we'll leave the ship. You can get away and rejoin your friends."

Garrett gave Adam a confused look. "I don't think I like that deal Dawson. This fucker killed my men and I'm going to make him pay."

Mansur quickly realized that the upset human had no idea what he truly was, and the other one was trying to stop him from changing. "Is it possible that he doesn't realize the young man next to him is also a werewolf?"

He looked at Adam as he pressed the gun tighter against the woman's head. "I understand what you're trying to do now. You know don't you, they told you what I am."

"Mansur, I really don't want this to end badly. You don't have to do this," Adam said as Kevin walked around him and glared at Mansur.

"I'm warning you Mansur, do what he said and just give us the canister," Kevin said as he reached down to the strapped Desert Eagle on his right thigh.

"You and I both know that your small caliber assault rifles won't be much good. In just a matter of moments, the two humans will die and then it's down to just the three of us. I like those odds better."

"Garrett, you need to leave the bridge. I mean right..." Adam couldn't finish his request in time, and Director Garrett Brown stood awe struck as he watched in horror.

As the long razor sharp claws extended from the once human fingers of Mansur Alba, he pulled them quickly across the young women's throat. The spurting blood flew out of her torn flesh and splattered on the four men.

It wasn't the first time Garrett had blood on his face, but that it was done by a large brown hideous creature was. With trembling hands, he extended his weapon, but fear gripped him so much he couldn't pull the trigger.

As Mansur saw the look in Garrett's eyes, he knew that the human would not react to anything he did, that made the decision to attack the other human easier. With a low evil growl, he darted quickly over the draining body of his first victim. Kevin knew what Mansur was thinking and pulled the special weapon free of its holster.

Adam fired a three round burst into the attacking werewolf's shoulder with little effect. It only caused Mansur to growl in displeasure as he leapt towards the wide-eyed human. As his chest was exposed for a split second, Kevin fired one of the special depleted uranium rounds into the large fur covered chest.

To Adam, it seemed as if the werewolf was stopped in midair. As he looked down Mansur's muzzle, he saw the look of bewilderment in his eyes. Adam stepped to the side as the werewolf crashed down on all of his paws. He was wobbly, and had trouble breathing as he peered at Kevin. He had no idea what just hit him, but he knew he had to escape.

With great pain, he turned and headed towards the confused form of Garrett Brown. When he was about to smash into him, Jake moved to the side and raised the working end of his own Desert Eagle. As he held it with both hands, he fired two special .50 caliber rounds into the left shoulder of the approaching beast.

Even with the three rounds shredding the inside of his massive torso, Mansur stumbled backwards alive. As his massive head swung side to side looking at Jake Newton, he saw two other humans enter behind him. One was an older muscular male and the other a much younger looking one. As their eyes met, the younger one seemed to be less amazed at his fur-covered form than the older one.

With labored effort, he turned towards Adam and Kevin. He saw Adam lower his weapon, as Kevin grasped his Desert Eagle with both hands. He realized it didn't matter if he was a werewolf or not. Whatever they were using was powerful enough to take him down.

"If I'm going to die, then I'm going to die as what I truly am. This is not the end humans. Werewolves will rule the earth one day." Mansur, with his last ounce of life, leapt towards Kevin.

Kevin fired as fast as he could pull the trigger on the semiautomatic handgun, as Jake did the same with his own weapon. The kinetic energy of the rounds forced Mansur to the far side of the bridge just as Carl and V-man entered from the port side hatch. Kevin lowered his head in hopelessness as his beloved friends watched the transformation of a horrific werewolf back to his human form.

boneams
boneams
739 Followers