The Phantom Pilot Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Five_Eight
Five_Eight
82 Followers

Namtor had said no slave girl could outrun him or me and I wondered if I could outrun the Askaar, with the added weight of the girl.

I made the most of what little head start I had by racing like a gazelle through the jungle. As I crashed through leaves and branches, running for my life, I ran into an Askaar. Since he was ahead of me he had to be one of those walking the perimeter. Dropping the girl I got a two-handed grip on my sword. I batted his clumsy spear out of the way and cut his throat with a backhanded stroke. Blood splattered my chest, but I slung the girl over my shoulder in a fireman's carry and was off in a trice.

When their angry cries reached my ears I asked myself what had I been thinking. A combination of Thwart's impetuous recklessness and Walker's humanity merged into one. Too late I realized I'd made the wrong decision. Because of it, now both the girl and myself would die. That didn't however keep me from running like the wind. An energy burned inside me. A spear flashed by to my left. I exploded through a wall of greenery and found salvation, or death, in front of me. The jungle ended abruptly. I stood on the edge of a cliff. The suns light shined on the mirrored surface of a lake far below. Sheathing the sword and clutching the girl to me with both arms I did what Thwart did the last time he escaped the Askaar.

I jumped off a cliff.

Better to break my neck hitting the water than being torn limb from limb by the mad pack swarming through the trees behind me. I endeavored to keep my body straight as we fell. That enabled me to enter the water feet first. Landing on my back or stomach would've killed me. The lake was deep enough I didn't break my legs on the bottom. When my head broke the surface I cast around for the girl. Her head was above water too. And she was conscious.

"Can you swim?" I shouted.

She nodded her head. We thrashed through the water to the closest bank. There were no splashes behind us. Apparently the Askaar possessed enough intelligence not to jump off cliffs, even with water below. Once we made dry land we needed to never stop putting distance between them and us. The girl modestly pulled the insignificant garment back into place as soon as she stood on the riverside. I had no time to think about what it failed to hide, we were still in grave danger.

I took her hand, dragging her along into the jungle. We ran for hours. Or at least it seemed that way. When the girl collapsed from the grueling pace, I slung her over my shoulder again and charged ahead. My core of energy eventually burned out. I weakened all at once. I dropped to my knees. Setting the girl down I lay on my back gasping for breath. After a while she leaned over, her hands flat on my chest feeling my heart.

"Do not die, do not die," she pleaded.

"I'm a long way from dying." To prove it, I staggered to my feet.

Again I took her by the hand and into the foliage we went. We said nothing to each other because an enemy might overhear. All afternoon we traversed forest and grassy plain as quietly as possible. Once a lion roared somewhere out of sight in the jungle and frightened her. I mouthed some reassuring words to buoy her spirits. When I told her I would protect her her confidence returned. Secretly I hoped we wouldn't have to face any wild beasts, but we were in the jungle.

We resumed our journey.

Maybe Thwart had an innate sense of direction too. Before the suns set we stumbled upon a wide river I thought I recognized. With a little encouragement I talked the girl into swimming to the other side of the river. I knew from my ordeal chained to the wagon that the suns set in the east in this world. Once across we progressed south. We walked side by side along the riverbank. All I had to do was let it lead me back to the camp of the Sheikh.

"I feel safer now," I said. "My friends should be camped only be a few kilometers from here." I told her my name.

"I am Vananella."

"How did you come to be a prisoner of the Askaar?"

"They raided a caravan I traveled with. Many seasons ago. In the raid my parents were killed."

"You look relatively unharmed for so much time in captivity."

"I think because I was so young they put the Askaar women in charge of me. The women managed to shelter me, until today."

"What happened today?"

"A large group of plunderers is in the territory. I was to be sacrificed to the divine ones to drive out the trespassers. If I didn't speak Askaar I would not know."

"You're fluent in their tongue?"

"Maybe not fluent," the young lady demurred, "but I can understand what they say. And can make myself understood."

I thought about how valuable a translator would be to the Sheikh. She seemed little more than a child, but her womanly charms were quite evident. I knew Vananella would intrigue the Sheikh in more ways than just as an interpreter. The men in the camp too. Had I saved her from one savage bunch only to deliver her to another? I refrained from mentioning that, but I let her know the camp we headed towards were the plunderers the Askaar feared.

She said she knew.

"How do you know?" I asked her.

"The Askaar warriors skirmished with some men yesterday. Around the tribal fires they said they encountered a man known as the Sheikh."

"They know the Sheikh?"

"They know of him. He's a legend throughout the known world. A slave trader."

I neither confirmed nor denied that. Why unsettle her even more?

Vananella put her hand back in mine. "Do you work for the Sheikh?"

Awe tinged her words.

I gave an honest answer.

"That is so exciting."

"It is?"

She got a big smile on her face. "Do you think I'll get to meet a slave girl?"

I tried not to sigh. "I'll introduce you to the most beautiful slave in the known world."

"Do you promise?" she said.

Her excitement surprised me. "Do you think a slave girl's lot in life is glamorous?"

"I dream about being the slave of a handsome warrior." She squeezed against me to emphasize her point.

I released her hand and strode on ahead of her.

"Did I say something wrong, Thwart?"

"No," I said gently and let her catch up to me.

She fussed with the tiny bands of silk about her hips. One slender band circled her waist, another thin strip between her legs. "Let me fix my thong, it keeps wanting to fall off." Her innocent eyes beamed. I looked away.

After a minute I said, "You might change your mind once you get inside the Sheikh's camp."

"Better him than the Askaar. They were going to kill me. The Sheikh won't kill me, will he?"

I thought of other fates that might await her in the camp, but death wasn't one of them. "No," I finally said, "he won't kill you."

Night fell.

Walking on the riverbank was not without its peril. We ducked into the foliage when three mutants blundered out of the jungle. I could have slain them easily, but I didn't want Vananella to witness any more violence. So we hid, and the mutants went away. Further down the river a huge snake dropped from a tree limb above us. I had a fine old time hacking at its head, as large as a football, until I severed it. With the coils of the serpentine body convulsing in the grass, we fled the area. The mutants had posed almost no threat, but the snake scared both of us out of our wits. Yet Thwart's mighty sword waged confident war, as usual.

At last I saw the glow of campfires. Not long afterwards we met up with one of the guards walking the perimeter.

"Who are you and what's your business?"

"It is Thwart!" I said to the watchman. "I arrive with a friend."

Although I didn't know the guard, he recognized me. "The Sheikh said the Askaar had killed you."

"The Sheikh is back in the camp?"

"He returned before the suns set."

"Take us to him."

"Can't leave my post, there's word of an attack." He glanced at Vananella, who concealed her breasts by crossing her arms over them.

"This is true. Let us pass and I will find the Sheikh, I have much to tell him."

"He's in his tent," the guardsman said. He beckoned with the sweep of a hand that we enter the camp.

"Are we going to the Sheikh's tent right now?" asked Vananella. "Will I get to meet him?"

"In just a very few minutes," I said, not comprehending women.

"I can't wait," she said, clinging to my arm. I just rolled my eyes.

"Where are the slave girls?" she asked while we prowled through the maze of pavilions. "I see only warriors."

I too had noted the absence of girls in the men's tents or in the shadows, their heads bent down and mouths busy. But I attributed it to the Askaar situation. The men were armed moreso than usual in camp. They evaluated Vananella with unabashed interest and curiosity as we passed. She kept her bosom covered as best she could. Namtor was exiting though the flap of the Sheikh's tent when the girl and I arrived.

His jaw dropped at our appearance. "You live!" He thrust his head back through the flap, saying: "Thwart is here!"

"He's alive?" came the sound of the Sheikh's voice.

But Namtor had already turned back to me, saying: "You crazy fool! We thought you'd died twice in two days!"

Three times by my count, but I didn't mention it. Instead I asked, "Jadda believes I'm dead?"

The Sheikh, appearing at the opening of his tent, answered for Namtor. "She saw us return without you. While I haven't made any announcements, doubtless conclusions have been drawn." He paused. " I should be amazed to see you still alive, but after the last few days, Thwart, nothing amazes me about you anymore." His gaze shifted from me to Vananella; I could see the coins clinking in his head. "Well, well, our little virgin sacrifice. Or is she still a virgin?" he leered.

"How did you get her out of there alive?" asked Namtor.

"By running like the biggest coward in the land."

Vananella uncrossed her arms when I introduced her. The loose thong made no secret of her peach fuzz and the Sheikh made no secret of staring. But he said: "You managed to elude twenty Askaar? Burdened with her?"

"He rescued me," Vananella said.

The Sheikh ignored her comment. "Let's go into my tent. You must tell me and Namtor of your adventures."

Once inside the tent Vananella couldn't resist asking, "Are you the man known as the Sheikh?"

"Kneel!" he barked at her.

She shrank back, startled, but she bent her knees to kneel. I clamped a hand on the top of her right arm, tugging her back to her feet.

"Vananella is not a slave, Sheikh," I said.

He looked sharply at the girl, "I said kneel."

That time she dropped rapidly to the floor of the tent, putting her head to the ground. She obviously had seen slaves assume that position before. Her thong drooped leaving one chubby pube and her anus in view.

I looked away. Namtor did not.

I met the Sheikh's eyes, hooded and dark beneath his ghutra, resisting their hypnotic qualities. "I said she is not a slave."

"Is your memory still gone?" the Sheikh said. "Do you forget yourself?"

"Get back on your feet, Vananella," I said, pulling the prostrate girl upright, taking the decision of disobeying the Sheikh away from her.

Namtor remained wisely out of the conversation.

"You work for me, Thwart."

"That is not the argument. However, this girl doesn't belong to you."

"Oh, but that is the argument. Whoever, or whatever, you capture while in my employ becomes my property."

"I didn't capture her, I rescued her."

"So you're saying she belongs to you?"

"Vananella is free, she belongs to no one."

The Sheikh snickered. "I'm calling for the artist to put a slave tattoo on her ankle tonight."

Little Vananella caught her breath.

"I object, Sheikh. I risked my life to bring her into the camp. She will prove to be very valuable to you."

"Of that there is no doubt," agreed the Sheikh, eying the girl. Her blunt nipples were swollen with anticipation.

I held her possessively to my side. "She can help you find this elixir you seek."

The Sheikh did not obfuscate. "Does she know where to find it?" A hint of interest played in his oily black eyes.

"Not exactly, but she speaks Askaar."

"And what good does that do me?"

"It should be obvious. You'll need a translator for the man I captured this afternoon. She can talk to other Askaar we may encounter," I said. "She can help you learn the whereabouts of this medicine man."

The Sheikh thought about it.

I continued, "Vananella can serve a purpose other than being a slave."

"She can serve any purpose I see fit. I might allow her to stay in your care while she helps."

"She is under my care regardless."

"Remember who you're speaking to, Thwart."

"You are not enslaving this child," I said evenly.

Vananella and Namtor both started to say something only to be silenced by a look from the Sheikh. "You travel with this caravan, Thwart. You eat at my fires, you sleep in the lodging I provide and you are clothed and armed by me. Might I add you enjoy all the comforts my camp has to offer. You dare to dictate terms? To me? How are you going to pay for the upkeep of this newcomer?"

"You'd let her starve to death?"

"Of course not," he said, "but are you going to clothe her, shelter her?"

"The girl can cook and clean to earn her meals. I will get her clothing. She will sleep in my tent."

"What will Jadda think?" the Sheikh smiled.

"Jadda will understand."

"Like she understood about Danae?"

He brought up a point I hadn't considered. "Maybe she can help Jadda during the day while I'm about my duties?"

"And what will Vananella do when Jadda spends the night in your bed? That is, if I decide to let Jadda entertain you. Instead of Kyle."

My face began to burn with the callousness and cruelty of it all.

The Sheikh said, "Jadda came into my possession when you and Portor captured her in Rishi-Kej. Remember? At the time you had no such notions of protecting the women you abducted. They were duly turned over to me. You enjoy Jadda only at my largesse, which I can revoke at any time."

He made his point, he could deprive me if he so desired. I ignored his threat and said, "Vananella can work for her keep, including acting as an interpreter. I refuse to let her minister to the men."

"You have no claim on the girl," replied the Sheikh, then: "I also want to point out that twice today you endangered not only yourself, but the rest of our party. You're fortunate you got away with it both times. I cannot risk my men to your foolhardiness. You were successful, but you need to curb your zeal in the future. I will not punish you, but I will give you a choice."

"A choice?"

"That's right! But only because of your good work. First, for taking an Askaar alive, then, by adding this lovely creature to the retinue."

"What choice are you giving me?"

"The girl can either be under my protection, or yours. If you elect to keep her, you will forfeit the company of all slave girls."

I looked from the Sheikh to Vananella and back.

"You're a young man, Thwart. Lusty, hot-blooded. I forbid you using Vananella while she is in your care."

"That was never my intent," I bristled.

"Maybe so, but a young man like yourself gets very anxious, shall we say, without the release a woman brings. If none of my slaves are allowed to dally with you, then with whom shall you dally?" He jerked a thumb at Vananella, "Not this virgin here. A virgin commands a high price in the Silver Cities, as you know."

I shrugged.

The Sheikh said, "The girl will be inspected to verify her hymen is intact. It will remain intact."

"Indeed it shall as long as she is with me."

"You will not damage my product," he told me. "She will be examined daily."

"She is not yours."

"You have made your choice," he went on, "Jadda will know about it."

I didn't let him bait me, "There is still one last consideration concerning Vananella."

"And what is that?"

"Vananella says there is no attack imminent from the Askaar."

"Is that so?"

"She says she was to be sacrificed to drive us out, not to give them courage in battle."

He asked her if that was true and she nodded. "If that's the case," said the Sheikh, "Namtor, pass the word along to the men that we break camp at dawn. Keep the watch doubled, the slaves confined to their quarters, and the men will remain vigilant."

Namtor went to do the Shiekh's bidding, but the Shiekh detained him.

"Vananella," he said, "would you like to meet a real slave girl?"

"Yes," she clapped her hands together eagerly. I just shook my head.

"Namtor, also bring Jadda here to meet Vananella."

The big man left with his cleaver slung over one shoulder.

I asked, "Why are you doing this?"

"For a number of reasons," said the Sheikh. "First, I want Jadda to see that you're alive. I want her to know about your choice. And I want to know about the sincerity of your choice." He motioned for Vananella to come to him. He had her sit upon his sprawl of cushions and silks then sat closely beside her. From a small table, its surface covered with odds and ends, he found an ivory comb. Vananella was only too delighted to comb her disheveled hair. By the time she finished the Sheikh had poured two servings of wine. He handed one to her, "Let's drink a toast to your new life."

I watched them drink. I saw what the Sheikh was doing, and had to make a good decision for a change. Should I risk alienating myself from Jadda, or any other friend I had in the camp? Why did I want to protect Vananella, an unknown quantity? She laughed innocently at something the Sheikh said and, in that moment, I knew. She had not yet taken the ultimate step into womanhood and was worth saving, even if it only postponed the inevitable.

Namtor returned with Jadda as the Sheikh proposed another toast.

Jadda beamed at me, barely containing her excitement, unclothed except for her chain. Judging by the look on his face Namtor had kept my presence a secret. When the Sheikh pointed to me she took quick little steps over to where I stood, embraced me.

"Everyone thought you were dead."

"People seem to expect it from me."

The Sheikh snapped his fingers at Jadda, "Lead him to those cushions and pleasure him."

Vananella looked on with much interest.

Jadda smiled widely, tugged at my hands to hurry me, but I refused to budge.

"What's the matter?" Jadda and the Sheikh said at the same time.

"It is wrong to do this in front of the girl," I stated.

The Sheikh grunted, "She'll see it sooner or later in this camp. I want her to know what to expect here." His words contained a dual meaning. "And furthermore if you don't willingly accommodate Jadda, I will switch her."

"Switch her all you want, she likes it."

"Pleasure ends where pain begins. Is there any doubt that I can whip her hard enough to hurt her if I choose to do so?"

"No," I admitted.

He indicated I should get on my back. "Pay close attention while Jadda carries out her master's commands," the Sheikh said to Vananella, squeezing one of her hands.

Jadda unbuckled my swordbelt and worked down my loincloth.

Vananella was rapt with attention. Her eyes devoured my nakedness.

Jadda kissed me longingly before her tongue journeyed across my body, which reacted accordingly. She swallowed me whole like in the past. In the end she straddled me and bounced wickedly. In scant minutes we both cried out. During our activities I noticed from time to time the Sheikh whispering to Vananella. She giggled at everything he said. He had her hypnotized.

"That is enough, Jadda," he ordered, possibly because both of us were out of breath. "Approach me, there is someone I would have you meet."

When Jadda glows with satisfaction, she is at her most beautiful. She knelt before the Sheikh, radiant.

"This is Vananella. Thwart rescued her from the Askaar. He has asked to keep her as his own."

Five_Eight
Five_Eight
82 Followers