The Pirate and The Thief Ch. 03

Story Info
Molly jumps ship!
2.9k words
4.55
9.9k
4
0

Part 3 of the 12 part series

Updated 10/31/2022
Created 02/08/2013
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Lucreace
Lucreace
59 Followers

Molly's feelings were mixed as she made her way through the wharf once more and she wasn't sure what to do with herself straight away. Her headache had faded now at least and the early afternoon warmth was delightful rather than searing. The docks were busy but not crowded and she found it pleasant to walk along them. The tide was high and the local fishermen were bringing in the days catch. Unsure what else to do, she sat on the stone quayside and watched the boats begin their unloading. It wasn't long before her attention turned to the two largest ships in the harbour. The Red Plunder was large but even she was dwarfed with the Sea Witch so close to her. The Sea Witch was stunning to behold, she looked as though she'd just slid down the slips and into the water. There wasn't a knock or a mark on her hull that Molly could see, her sail and rig were pristine, at least from this distance. She could also see a good number of crewmen working on the rails and other jobs she couldn't make out.

The ships were both being loaded with goods and she could see boxes and barrels, likely containing water, being hauled onto up the gangplanks. Her thoughts returned to think on what Bess had asked her to do. She was unsure whether she wanted to steal from a man she didn't know for a woman she didn't like. Especially using the method that had been suggested, it wasn't that Molly had never done that to a man before, she had and been paid for it. It was that she'd left that part of her life behind her and never wanted to go back to it. If she did this, how was she any better than the whore she was back in Karana? She was trying so hard to leave that behind her. She tugged out her leather coin purse and opened it. It was a lot emptier than she'd have liked. She'd have to find work, and soon. Not prostitution though, she was done with that. She pushed herself up from the quay and smiled to herself, piracy it was then.

What harm would there be in signing aboard the Sea Witch for a voyage or two? She'd need the money and if she was honest, sailing was fun. Her decision made, she turned her steps back towards the Jolly Rogered inn. When she reached the door, her stomach began to flutter. Molly took a deep breath and willed herself to be calm, what the hell was wrong with her anyway? It wasn't as though she was looking forward to dealing with Captain again. She pulled the door open, taking care not to pull it from its hinges. The inside was empty but for the barman, who looked up from the dirty glass he was polishing. "Can I help you miss?" he asked.

"I'm looking for John or Bart," she said.

"Got any last names?"

"Uh, we were here last night, um," she wracked her head, searching for the names, "Smee something or other."

"Oh aye, that John. He'll be out back fixing the room."

"Thanks," she said. She walked back down the corridor she'd fled not a few hours before and knocked on the door of the inns one room. She opened it without waiting for an answer and found John sweeping the floor. "Hello?" John spun round.

"Maylan's breath! What're you doing back here?" he said.

"Well, I was thinking about what I was told last night and from what I've pieced together from before and I, well, I left the Red Plunder," she said. John paused in his sweeping and smiled at her.

"Good job too lass," he said, "What're you to do now?"

"Find a new crew I suppose, not sure what else there is for me," she said. She was tempted to sit on the end of the bed but she left it. John had already straightened it and she couldn't bring herself to muss the covers again.

"Why not talk to my Captain? He's always after new mates," he said.

"Is that wise?"

"Why not?"

"After this morning," she said.

"Don't let that put you off lass, was naught but play, I'm sure he'd be willing to discuss is if nothing else," John said. Molly looked down at the floor doing her best to hide a smile.

"Where will I find him?" she asked.

"He'll be on the Sea Witch if you want to find him there, if not, you could stick around here and wait for him, he'll be back later," John said. Molly nodded at this new information.

"Thank you John," she said, "I'll see what I can do."

"You'll be fine lass," he said as she left the room. She missed the grin on his face as he turned back to sweeping the floor. Molly pulled in a breath and knew what she had to do. If she was going to get onto the Sea Witch, she was going to have to go to the ship and talk away until the Captain agreed to take her on board.

The closer she got to the Sea Witch, the less sure she felt. There were so many reasons not to take her. He'd know she was being sent by Bess for a start. What skills had she to offer anyway? Sure she could mend a sail and she was OK with the cutlass strapped to her side but that wouldn't be enough surely. Her thoughts turned once more to the alternatives and she lifted her head. The loading was in full flight as she approached the ship, the Captain was on the dock overseeing the good being delivered with the quartermaster. The relaxed expression he wore transformed his face, the puckered frown was absent and he looked, well, he looked a lot more approachable than he had earlier in the day. Molly took a deep breath as she strode up; she did her best to keep her expression level, her hands relaxed. Her heart pounded and her palms seemed to leak sweat but she wiped them on her thighs.

The Captain looked up, his blue eyes pierced her as she walked, she swallowed as a grin spread across his face. He handed some papers to the quartermaster and crossed his arms over his chest. A graceful eyebrow raised and his expression turned to one of slight mockery. He leaned back against the dock railing and waited for her to approach him. "Molly," he said bobbing his head when she stood less than a foot away from him, "Can I do something for you?"

"John told me I could find you here," she said.

"Well it is my ship," he said. Molly turned to look at the fantastic brig next to her. She was huge, looking up at the main mast was dizzying, the wisps of cloud rushed passed the crow's nest and the wind tugged at the flag. She was a beautiful ship and Molly could only stare at her while the loading continued around her. There was barely a seam to be seen in her hull, the deck was clean and as she suspected, there was no chip or signs of wear be seen. Her sails were clean from what she could see. Her rigging was neat and trimmed.

"She's beautiful," Molly whispered as she took in the sight.

"Thank you, she does us proud," he said. "I'd show you round but we're a little busy at the moment." A breeze tugged at the loose strands of his black hair and he flicked it out the way, "Now mind telling me why you're here quick so I can get back to work?"

"I want to join the crew," she said blurting the words out before she could change her mind.

"What?"

"You heard me," she said.

"Had enough of Bess eh?"

"Something like that."

"What makes you think I need someone?" he said. "I have a decent crew already, what can you do that they can't?"

"I can stitch canvas quickly; I'm a decent lookout and a quick learner. I've grasped the basics of navigation and I can follow orders well enough," she blushed as the Captain scrutinised her. It felt like he could see through her and she stood naked on the quay in front of him, "I can defend myself as well, in a fight and from any other unwanted attention too," she said, not baulking at his heady stare.

He nodded, "Get up in that nest," he said.

"What?"

"Do I need to tell you twice?"

She dropped her sack onto the quay and mounted the gangplank. Once on board she swung herself onto the shroud and began the climb. The rope was rough under her hands but she gripped it fine as she hauled herself up. Molly was aware of the eyes of the crew on her as she climbed, she passed the main yard sooner than she thought and continued up the rigging. The wind picked up the higher she climbed and her heart began to quicken. She couldn't keep a smile from her face as she rose higher and higher. The main topsail passed her and she swung into the crow's nest in what she thought was a record time. The wind whipped passed her, sending her bandana from her head and spilling her hair back in waves. She watched as the scrap of cloth drifted down to the earth. She took a deep breath and let the wind wash her worries away with it.

Molly looked down at the deck below and couldn't help smile, the crew looked so tiny down below her, they were going to and fro about deck in a hive of activity. She turned her gaze towards the town, the view stole her breath. The rise of the mountain behind the town was something to behold, she could see tiny trees flowing in the breeze and the eternal rock thrusting up to the sky. She watched for a long while before she was able to tear her gaze away. She glanced down at the quay again and saw the Captain waving her down. She followed his command with a heavy sigh; it would have been nice to take in the sight for a bit longer.

A few moments later, she was back on the quay walking towards the Captain, "Thank you, if I take nothing else from this, I will have the memory of that view," she said as she approached him. She pushed her unruly hair out of her face and held it at the nape of her neck. She had some ties in her bag; she'd deal with it later.

"Was there anything amiss up there?"

"No," she said with a shake of her head.

"Perfect," he said, "Go and put your gear with the rest of the crew's belongings, we sail with the morning tide."

A grin spread over her face and she nodded, "Thank you," she said.

"We could use your help getting loaded," he said.

"I won't be long."

She climbed aboard the ship once more and found her way to the forecastle. There were the hammocks she was used to suspended from the deck in rows with chests nestled against the hull. She picked the one furthest away from the door. She set her few belongings into it, just some old clothes, a blunt boot knife and her sail making kit. She set to tying her hair back before she re-joined her new crew on deck.

It was hard work, it was hot work but after four hours, the ship was laden, ready for another voyage into the open sea. Molly knew she needed another bath so declined the offer of drinks on shore with her new crewmates. She knew she should go with them but there would be ample time to get to know them over the coming months. The bathhouse was busy that evening and it took her longer than it had done to get herself seen to and cleaned up. Once done, she headed back to the quay and boarded her new ship. It was deserted except for two watchmen who sat playing a game of cards. She nodded to them both as she made her way to the forecastle. She changed her mind and turned to look down the deck, there on the quarterdeck was the Captain. He was alone and was gazing out to sea.

Molly thought for a moment, and decided she could be bothered to speak with him, if he needed someone to speak to. She crept up behind him and leaned on the rail. "Beautiful isn't it," she said keeping her voice soft.

"Do you always sneak up on people like that?" he said.

"I'll go if I'm disturbing you."

He paused for a moment before shaking his head, "These ropes are getting a bit worn," he said giving them a glance. She looked down at the rope under his hand and noticed the tiniest start of wear, "I keep her in immaculate condition you know, you're going to work hard while you're here," he said turning to face her. "I guess Bess let you go and sent you here for something," he raised his hand as she opened her mouth to speak, "I imagine she told you a story about something I stole and she wanted back. She's done it before and no doubt you won't be the last."

Molly narrowed her eyes, "How astute of you," she said.

"Come now, I didn't stay on top this long be being stupid," he said.

"Of course not, I never said that nor thought it for a second. You're right, she did let me go with that intension," she said as she placed both her hands on the rail, "I'm not going to lie about it, what's the point, you'd see through it anyway. But I refuse to be used by that bitch. She has no hold on me and I have no loyalty to her," Molly hadn't realised how true the words were until she spoke them.

"Then why are you here?" he folded his arms over his chest and stood with his weight thrown onto one leg.

"Because I need work," she said. He turned to look at her then; she thrust her chin up and looked into his cornflower blue eyes. He brought a hand up and rubbed his chin as he studied her. She willed him to see the truth of her words.

"There are easier ways to come by money," he said.

"But not so much fun, I love sailing and being on a ship, this was my choice, to leave the manipulations of that bitch behind and start over," she said. He leaned once more on the rail, this time with the ghost of a smile on his face, "Are you satisfied?"

"Yes," he said.

"Can I ask you something then?"

He turned back to her, this time with a raised eyebrow and a smirk, "Go on," he said.

"You're name sir, I still don't have it."

"Such a trifling thing is it not? Does it frustrate you, not knowing? Most here are satisfied enough with calling me Captain," he said, the smirk deepening.

"Is it so terrible?"

"It is feared in these waters," he replied. Heat rose in her cheeks as the scent of lavender drifted over, he'd slid closer and the scent, mixed with the sea, threatened to consume her. She swallowed the lump in her throat.

"Well, if it's so laudable, I'll leave it with you," she said, taking a step back.

"You leave me no choice, you're under the flag of Captain James Hook now," he said, the smile falling from his face. Molly glanced down at both his hands where they rested on the rail, "Were you expecting a silver monstrosity?" he said unable to keep the bitterness out of his voice.

"Of course not, what're you talking about? It's a good strong name," she said.

"It's a- wait, you mean you've never heard the name before?"

"Should I have?"

"No Molly," he said, smiling once more. "My father saw fit to name me after a character in a children's tale. Happens the character was also a pirate, the reaction to my true name varies."

"I see," she said, "You needn't worry Captain, I'll not go throwing the name around."

"Appreciate that, of course, if you do I could just have you keel hauled," he said. Molly paled at the thought and took another step back, unsure whether he was joking or not. Silence fell between them once more and Molly couldn't help notice his closeness, despite her best efforts to back away. It had happened in the hallway earlier too, he was looking at her in a way that made her knees weak and she wasn't altogether comfortable with it. She wiped her hands on her thighs and gave a weak smile.

"I'll leave you then," she said, faking a yawn. He nodded and she withdrew without another word. She fled to the forecastle and found her own bunk, glad to be away from him and yet sad at the same time. At least he didn't smell awful. She pondered the thought as she climbed into her hammock. She was still thinking on it as she drifted off to sleep.

Lucreace
Lucreace
59 Followers