The Predator Ch. 15

Story Info
Mell Ott tries blackmailing William Atherton.
2.2k words
4.61
18.2k
2
0

Part 15 of the 30 part series

Updated 10/30/2022
Created 02/15/2003
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
D.C. Roi
D.C. Roi
1,333 Followers

"Mr. Atherton, there is a...a man out here who says he has to see you," William's secretary told him over the intercom the first thing the morning after he'd spent the afternoon with Arlene. "He said to tell you Arlene Ott gave him your name."

William heard the distaste in his secretary's voice and knew the man outside wasn't anyone he knew. But the fact that the man knew Arlene's name worried him. He had to find out who the man was, and how he was connected with Arlene. "Send him in, Selma," he said. "I-I'll see him."

"If that's what you want, Mr. Atherton," the secretary said.

Mel Ott walked into William P. Atherton's posh office wearing a smug grin and plunked down in a chair in front of William's desk.

"Thanks for seein' me, Willie," Mel said, leering at William. "You showed real good judgment by talkin' to me."

William looked at the grubby, fat man sitting across his desk and wondered how Arlene was connected to him. "Who are you, sir?" he asked. "And what connection do you have with Mrs. Ott?"

"Arlene's my old lady," Mel replied. "Ex-old lady, actually."

William was shocked by the man's answer. He knew Arlene had been married, but she never talked about her husband, except to say that marrying him was the worst mistake she'd ever made. Now that he'd seen the man, William knew what she meant.

He did wonder, though, as he looked at the man sitting in front of his desk, how Arlene could have ever gotten married to him. He also wondered if she were somehow involved in whatever it was her ex-husband was here for.

"What, exactly, did you want to discuss with me, Mr. Ott?" he asked.

"Money," Mel replied. "Lots of money."

"I see," William said. "You are looking for investment advice, is that it?"

Mel shook his head. "Nah, I ain't lookin' for investment advice," he said. "I'm givin' it."

"I'm not sure I understand," William said.

"Come on!" Mel said. "How the fuck stupid, are you, Willie-boy? You're goin' to invest some money in me."

"I am?" William replied. "Why on earth would I want to do something like that?"

"Jesus!" Mel exclaimed. "How the fuck did someone as stupid as you are get to be rich? Probably inherited your dough, right?"

"I'm not sure that's any of your business, Mr. Ott," William said. He stood up. "I'm not sure there's anything for us to talk about. Please leave, Mr. Ott. Now."

Mel smiled and shook his head. "Not yet," he said. "I ain't about to leave. First I want you to tell me something, Willie-boy. How much is it worth to you for your folks to not find out you're screwing a divorced waitress?" He paused and watched a look of shock form on William's face. "And if your old man might finds out you been skipping work to fuck around in the afternoon, whadda ya think he'd do? He'd probably send ya back to the fuckin' mail room, wouldn't he?"

William, trembling, sank back into his chair. Had Arlene conspired with her ex-husband to set him up for blackmail? He couldn't believe she'd do something like that to him, but the man was here. And he had mentioned Arlene's name.

"I-I don't know what you're talking about, Mr. Ott," he said softly, his voice quavering.

"Yeah you do, Willie-boy," Mel said. He was sure he had Atherton on the run now. The rich idiot was going to pay. The only question was, how much?

"You...you want me to pay you so you won't tell my parents that I'm having a...a relationship with your ex-wife, is that it?" William asked.

"Damn!" Mel exclaimed, smiling. "See, Willie-boy, I knew you wasn't stupid. You got it and I only had to tell you once."

"How...how much do you want?" William asked.

"How much is it worth to you?" Mel asked.

"Would...would a thousand dollars be sufficient?" William stammered.

"No, a fucking thousand ain't suffishint!" Mel said. "Come on, Willie, we're talking about protecting your dirty little secret here. We're talking about your fuckin' miserable life, Willie-boy. How much is the fuckin' fancy life you live worth to you?"

"Ten thousand?" William asked.

Mel smiled. "Better, much better," he said. "A damn good start, in fact."

"I-I can give you a check," William said. "I-I don't have immediate access to that much cash."

"Give me a break!" Mel retorted. "Just how dumb do you figure I am? You know as well as I do you'll stop payment and the fuckin' check won't be worth the paper it's written on. I want cash, Willie, small bills."

"It...it will take me a couple of days to get that much cash," William said.

Mel stood up. "No problem," he said agreeably. "I'll call you in a couple of days and set up another meet." He turned and started for the door.

William had to know if Arlene was involved in this. "Mr. Ott...I-I have to know something," he said.

Mel stopped with his hand on the door handle and turned. "What, Willie?" he asked.

"Is...is Arlene...is she...is she involved in this with you?" William asked. "Did...did she...did she put you...up to...to this?"

Mel snickered. "That stupid fuckin' bitch?" he exclaimed. "Nah, she ain't involved. The dumb cunt tried protecting you. She didn't want to give me your name. I hadda slap her around some to find out about you. This is me and you, Willie-boy, she ain't got no part of it." He started to open the door then he turned back to Atherton again. "And Willie, you ain't gonna see Arlene no more, are you? I don't want you seein' her no more, you unnerstand?"

"Y-yes, I understand," William said. He watched the crude man walk out of his office, and jumped when the door closed behind him.

"What am I going to do?" William wondered. For the first time in his life, he faced a problem his father couldn't help him solve. In fact, he had to find a solution without his father ever finding out the problem existed. It wasn't the money. Ten thousand dollars was nothing to him. But he knew, as sure as he was sitting there, that if he paid Mel Ott anything, the man's demands would never stop.

Then another even more frightening thought occurred to him. "Arlene!" he exclaimed out loud. "My God!" He picked up his phone and dialed her number.

"Hello," Arlene said.

"Arlene, this is William, are you all right?" he asked. He was relieved to find that she sounded all right.

"I-I'm fine, William," she said. "What's wrong? Your voice sounds funny."

"Your ex-husband was just here," William said.

"My God!" Arlene exclaimed. "What...what did he want?"

"Money," William said.

"William, I'm sorry," Arlene said, "I..."

"Don't apologize. He told me you didn't know anything about it," William assured her. "He also told me he'd beaten you. Arlene, are...are you really all right?"

"I-I'm fine," Arlene said. She was more ashamed now than she'd ever been. Why was Mel doing this to her, and to William? "What...what are you going to do?"

"I'm not sure," William replied. "But I don't think it would be wise to pay him."

"William, please be careful! Think about what you're doing," Arlene said, sobbing. "Mel, he...he's a cruel, evil man. You...you can't imagine..."

"I've seen what kind of man he is," William told her. "And I do plan to be careful. Is...is there anything I can do for you?"

"I-I don't know," Arlene replied. "He...you really can't imagine what he's like...I..."

"He told me I wasn't to see you any more," William told her. "How do you feel about that? Do you want me to stop seeing you?"

"If I were you, I'd do what he says," Arlene replied.

"Arlene, do you want me to stop seeing you?" William asked.

"N-no," Arlene said softly, "I-I don't, but..."

"Then that's settled," William said. It surprised him that he found himself far more concerned with Arlene than he was for himself. That was a new experience for him, and at first it confused him. Then, as he talked with her, a plan began to form in his mind.

"I think I know what I need to do," he told her. "In fact, I think I know how I can make sure we're both safe."

"How? What are you going to do?" Arlene asked.

"I have to go, Arlene," William told her. "I'll call you later today. Pack some things, enough for several days."

"William, what are you going to do?" Arlene asked.

"Pack some things," he said. "I'll call you as soon as I take care of some other matters."

"O-OK," Arlene said.

"Arlene..." William hesitated.

"What, William?" Arlene asked.

"I-I-I love you, Arlene," William said. He never dreamed he'd ever say that to her, but the fear he felt when he thought she'd been hurt told him that what he felt for her was much more than what a man would feel for a casual sex partner. The possibility of losing her had frightened him.

"I...Oh, God!...I love you, too," Arlen replied. "Please, William, be careful!"

William put the phone down, shaken. He hadn't planned to tell Arlene that he loved her. Now that he'd told her that, he...this wasn't getting any easier, that was for sure.

An hour later, Alex Martin walked into William's office. "The Chief said you wanted to see me, Mr. Atherton." Alex said. He remembered Atherton from the fund-raiser. If he remembered correctly, he'd been Jennifer's escort. "The Chief said something about you being blackmailed."

"Yes, I am," William said.

Alex sat down. "Tell me the whole story," he said. "Leave nothing out."

William did, beginning with the first time he and Arlene met and ending with Mel Ott's appearance in his office that morning. He also explained his plan to get Arlene, and himself, away to a safe place until Ott could be arrested.

"You could be taking a chance, Mr. Atherton," Alex said. "It sounds like this Ott guy isn't a very nice person. He might try to harm you. And there's no way I can guarantee you this won't make the papers if we do arrest him."

"I don't care," William said. "He hurt Arlene. I can't allow that. I won't allow that. If I don't do something to stop him, I won't be able to live with myself. I know you probably think I'm spoiled and pampered and have had everything handed to me on a silver platter..." He paused and thought a minute then he continued. "...and if you do think that, you're right. I'm not sure what will happen when my parents learn of my relationship with Arlene, and to be honest with you, right now, as Rhett Butler said, 'Frankly, I don't give a damn!'"

Alex's opinion of Atherton took a large positive leap while the man spoke. He stood up. "We'll take Ott out of circulation, Mr. Atherton, I promise you that," he said. "And as far as my opinion of you goes, Mr. Atherton, I'd say you're pretty much of a man. I like you Mr. Atherton I like you a lot. If your father isn't proud of you, he's a damn fool." He extended his hand. "It's been a pleasure meeting you."

William, blushing, stood up and shook hands with the detective. "Thank you," he said. "Thank you very much." He remembered something. "You know, I almost think I remember seeing this Ott man at Jennifer McIntyre's farm. I think she may have employed him as a hired hand or something."

Alex nodded. "I'll check on that," he said. "Leave a number where I can reach you with your secretary. In case."

"I will," William said.

Alex smiled. "This will come out OK, I think, Mr. Atherton," he said. "I'll be in touch." He turned and walked out of the office.

William sat down behind the desk. He took a few deep breaths to calm himself, then he picked up the phone and dialed Arlene's number.

"Hello?" she said.

"Did you pack your things?" William asked her.

"I...yes, I did," she replied. "William, what are you doing?"

"I'll be by to pick you up in about an hour," he said. "Be ready to go when I get there."

"William, what are you doing?" Arlene asked.

"I'll be there in an hour," William said. "And I'll tell you then. I have some things I have to do first. I love you."

"I love you, too, but..." Arlene said.

William's parents were in Europe. He knew he should call his father, but if he did, that would only make things worse. The staff could take care of things while he was gone, and would have a number to reach him if they had to. He would tell his parents what happened when they got back. That was soon enough to have to deal with their reaction.

Next he told his secretary he would be gone for at least a week and left a phone number where he could be reached. Then he went down to the garage, got in his car, and headed for Arlene's house. It was possible his life would never be the same after today, but despite that, William felt better than he ever had.

D.C. Roi
D.C. Roi
1,333 Followers