The Prince Ch. 10

Story Info
Amber fears for his life as chaos and rebellion breaks out.
5.8k words
4.57
24.5k
24

Part 10 of the 11 part series

Updated 09/22/2022
Created 10/26/2011
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Few things are as troubling as the unknown. Not knowing what is happening or what has happened to the ones you love is perhaps the most troubling of all. Love itself cannot conquer this worry; nothing truly can. It is only through seeing them alive and well again that your doubts will be stayed. It is elating to know that the one's you love are safe and it is for this reason that even in the darkest of circumstances a homecoming is always akin to celebration. Enjoy...

*

"Any news?" Amber heard as she walked down the corridor.

In a hushed voice the other replied, "Fighting hasn't started yet, last I heard, but apparently they have armed themselves and are prepared to fight."

"Does anyone know how they acquired the weapons?"

Amber paused nearby, attempting to look as though she were examining one of the portraits of the Prince's long dead ancestors.

"We're not sure, but they must have been acquiring them for some time by the amount that they appear to have. They must have gotten at least some of them from the outlying areas near Lingley."

"That's frightening. What do you think will happen? Will the people there fight?"

"I'm not sure, but if it does come to fighting it will likely be Pyrrhic victory for either side."

Amber moved away after she heard this for fear of being discovered. She had been attempting to listen to the rumors ever since he had gone. The politicians and royalty were keeping silent on the details of the rebellion, that it was happening had not even been announced, but the secret was too big to be kept completely silent.

She knew that he was there. He had left the morning after he had told her that she belonged with him. He had not told her where he was going or why it was so urgent for him to leave, but as soon as she had known what was happening she knew that there was no other place that he could be. She had been hoping to hear something of him, but he had never been mentioned in any of the hurried and hushed conversations that seemed to be happening all around her now.

Three weeks had passed since he had vanished and she could only hope that nothing had happened to him on his mission. The relief she felt knowing that no fighting had broken out made her feel as though she could function again, but her sense of dread had not dissipated in the slightest. She had hated the idea of violence and bloodshed all her life. Her father had shared her dislike of war and battles, but he had been conscripted into the army.

Amber had been seventeen when her father had received the summons. She remembered being unable to understand why he was willing to go on that fateful day. She remembered trying to convince him to stay on the day that he was assigned to leave.

She had pleadingly told him, "Don't go."

"But you know I must," he had told her with a soft, sad look.

"Why must you? You were the one that always told me that violence doesn't solve problems it only serves to further them," her voice rising in volume as she spoke. "How can you do something that goes against everything that you taught me?"

He could see the tears begin to escape her eyes and he rushed over to catch her wilting form. At first she had fought him and tried to push him away in anger, but he would not budge and in truth she wanted him near. She embraced him and cried all the harder.

As he sat her down on the one comfortable and sturdy chair they owned and told her, "I am doing what I must, to give you the best life I can. You are the most important thing in the world to me and I need to do right by you."

She looked at him and asked in honest confusion, "How can leaving me possibly be what's best for my life? What am I to do, alone and abandoned?"

"I cannot run from this without shaming myself and in turn you. I have never had the ability to provide you with the dowry you deserve, but at least if I continue to be respected your beauty will win the heart of some wonderful young man and you will live a life far better than I have been able to. You will be left in the care of Mrs. Billingsley until I am able to return. I have left enough money with her to care for you for the next two years."

"But I don't need a better life. I'm happy with the one I have," she protested as she pulled away from him slightly. Her head rapidly began to clear as she focused on this fact and realized that she could fight him with it.

"We won't be able to keep the life that we have now if I am to refuse this duty. We would have to run, never knowing a days rest or a nights sleep without worry. Is that what you want?" he pleaded.

"As long as I don't lose the last of the family I have, yes it is," she said, her voice clear.

He looked at her, clearly wounded. He began speaking again, but this time very slowly and with obvious pain in his voice. "I am not trying to take myself from you. I am trying to give you the best life that I can, but if this is how you feel I cannot deny your request. You are my daughter and you are all that I have left in this world. I will never abandon you as I have already dedicated the rest of my life to making sure that yours will be a good one.

"However, you still have much life to live and I am not what you should base your life around. I know that you worry about me as well as my health and that you do your best to make sure that you are as small a burden as possible, but this is not the proper relationship of a father and daughter. A father should protect and provide for his family and help them to secure the best possible future. It is my aim to do that now, as it always has been.

"I may not think much of fighting or war, but I am willing to do anything to protect my family and I will save you from persecution by doing what is required of me. It is for this reason that I feel compelled to leave you. Leaving you will mean that you are safe and away from harm and there is nothing that I want more than that. But, if you tell me that I cannot leave you without harming you even more greatly myself, I will stay."

A tight knot had accumulated in her throat as he had spoken and it was now no longer possible for her to fight him or argue. She still didn't want him to go, but she also knew that telling him to stay would be wrong of her. She could see how hard it was for him to come to the decision that he had made and that his resolve was beginning to fail him now. She knew what she had to do, but that didn't make it any easier to do it. "You could never hurt me papa."

He pulled her tightly against him as soon as she said those words. They stayed like that, both weak and weary from what those words had cost each of them.

"Bless your heart, my precious gem," was all he could muster in response when he finally let go of her.

Amber sniffled and then told him, "You still have to come back though."

"Of course I do."

"You promise?"

"Yes, in fact," he said as he let go of her to grab something out of his pocket. "I want you to hold onto this for me," he told her as he stuck out his hand.

Amber's eyes went wide as she what he held. "But, that's your locket. Mom gave it to you. I can't take that from you."

"You can and you will because you know how precious this is to me and that nothing on Earth will stop me from reclaiming it. You will know that so long as it is in your possession that I will have no choice but to one day return to you."

"But it's the only picture you have of her," she protested.

A sad smile crossed his face after she said this. "No, it's not. I have many pictures of her and they are running through my head all the time. Leaving this behind for a short while won't cause me to lose my sight of her."

She tried to think of a way to argue with him, but knew that he had made up his mind. "I still don't think that I should take it," was all she could say to him.

"But you will and I will return home soon," he told her. "Now give an old man a hug and a kiss farewell."

She did exactly that and then he was gone from her life; a new chapter had begun.

Amber felt tears rimming her eyes as she remembered the last exchange that she had ever had with her father. Two and a half years had passed since that day. It hurt to know that he was now gone and that he had never been able to reclaim the locket as he had promised. It hurt to know that someone so important in her life could be taken from her so easily. She desperately hoped that no one else in her life would be taken from her in such a way.

She did not dare to name the person that she feared for in this moment. Amber worried that by naming him she would place him in danger and that the fears that she harbored would come true. She did not stray down the path that those dark thoughts would lead and silently hoped that she was imagining danger where there was none.

* * *

The weight on King Henry's head felt unbearable. Pain was shooting throughout his skull with every beat of his heart and he could not stand it. He should not have to deal with such an intolerable nuisance such as this. He felt much the same way about the cause of his headache.

The king had a quivering messenger and a pile of reports detailing the Lingley Rebellion in front of him. He was angry and did not have the patience for anyone on this day. His advisors surrounded him each offering different solutions of how to deal with the problems that he now faced. He could not hear their words or focus on anything but the unfathomable amount of rage he now felt.

No one should disobey their king, was all he thought. They have no idea how to run a country or the exertions that one must go through to make sure that they are all safe from foreign powers. If it weren't for my protection they would never have been able to rebel in the first place as every last one of them would have been enslaved. They have no right to do this to ME. I am the law and order that keeps them safe and I will not stand for it.

"I will not stand for it!" he shouted at the top of his lungs to no one in particular.

His advisors all fell silent and cowered before his rage. Every last one of them feared him and they all were ready to run at the sight of his fury. But, they could not as they were bound to him and were required to endure whatever torrent was to come.

"They have no right to be doing any of this! They should obey their king. Don't they know what disobedience brings? It brings chaos. It brings death and destruction. I will not stand for my land being thrown into chaos. We shall crush this rebellion and have all of their leaders be made example of. Our land shall know peace again." He said, his anger finding an outlet in his speech.

"The time for negotiation has finished and the despoilers of this land shall be brought to justice. I shall not deal with such cretins any longer. This is my judgment."

"But, your highness, if I may interject,"

"You may not," the king said, silencing one of his braver advisors.

All of them in the room backed away from the king and kept their eyes glued to the floor. None were willing to meet his gaze and he enjoyed that fact. He liked knowing the fear that he instilled in all of the men around him and the power that he held over them. This was the relationship that he desired amongst all of his followers, silent obedience and consent.

He knew better than they did and they should recognize that. No one should dare fight against him; they should know the consequences. "Send orders to my son telling him to return at once. Also, send the command to the field general to use any and all necessary force to restore order. Make it clear that I want this matter settled as quickly as possible and that it would cause my great displeasure to hear anything other than good news upon our next correspondence."

His advisors stood around him dictating his speech and waiting for further instruction. "That is all," he said, glowering at them. They then hurriedly left the room to carry out his commands.

* * *

His eyes were blurred. He could no longer distinguish much of what was around him, but he could tell that he was not there yet as he was still moving. The intense throbs of pain down his side were a constant reminder of that. He knew that he was close and that soon he would be able to rest, but he knew that he could not let up until then.

It was difficult for the Prince to keep himself awake. He felt his mind drifting off at times forgetting where and who he was. He wasn't sure who he was now, there were images in his mind that felt like those of a stranger. He could not understand where they came from as he was sure in this moment that they could not have come from his own life. None of those things could exist in a world where pain and agony were the only constants.

Sometimes he felt as though he could hear someone calling his name, calling out in warning and despair. He could not understand what they said, only what they meant. They were telling him that he was in danger and this would always force his mind to wake and for him to search for that danger. Invariably, there was none and as his mind settled his focus was discarded and he forgot what it was that he was doing and why he was continuing. It was in these moments that he considered quitting. He thought of allowing himself to fall to the ground, never to arise from it again. The cries of warning he heard were the only thing that kept him from giving up and giving in.

He was hearing such a cry of warning now. It did not bother him as it had before, but it did force him to sit up and search his surroundings. He saw someone yelling at him this time. He was not sure if they were real or not. Everything around him had taken on a surreal tone.

He stared at the man to see if he would vanish from his penetrating gaze, as so many apparitions had before. However, this man did not go, he remained solid. He was soon joined by others and they approached him. He prepared to fight them as he was not willing to give in to them. None would take him so long as he had a will to live.

He attempted to draw his sword and found it to be too heavy. He held the hilt for support and when the first man tried to grab him he swung his arm at him with all the force he could muster. He felt himself falling as he did so and as he fell everything went black.

His eyes opened in a dark room and a soft bed. He could not remember how or why he was here. Slowly, he tried to sit up. The pain ran along the complete length of his side and sent hot agony running down his body. He grunted as he fought the sensation and forced himself upward. His body was bare other than the sheets now covering him and this fact made it possible to examine the damage that he had endured.

He could feel the stitches in his leg and the bruises on his back. Both of his hands had been ripped and torn to varying degrees, it was difficult to move his fingers. The back of his head was tender. None of the wounds would threaten his life any longer, but it would take a long time for all of them to heal.

Knowing that his life was not in danger he recognized that he was sitting on his own bed in his home. He remembered the brutal trip that he had taken to get here and was proud that he had made it back.

"Nurse," he attempted to shout. His voice had all the strength of a whisper. "Nurse," he tried again managing to get a bit more volume. "Nurse!" He finally managed to yell, followed by a stream of coughs and a lot more pain.

He heard come running to the door and open it abruptly. "You shouldn't be doing that. Lay yourself back down at once," said the stern elderly woman. He recognized her as Agnes who had often tended to him when he was a boy.

"I need water and I will lay back down after I have drank some."

She turned to him and glared at him as she began to open her mouth in reply. As she looked at him she saw the resolve and tenacity in his stare and thought better of what she would say. "Of course, young master," she said as she turned and exited the room.

The Prince had always liked Agnes to a certain extent as she had far greater backbone than the rest of the staff. He knew that she was a capable aid and that her advice was generally well reasoned. He could remember more than one time when he had disobeyed her and had payed the price for his action by injuring himself further. Even still, he knew that it would be easier for him to rehydrate himself sitting up rather than laying down if it were possible and he was not about to give up the hard work that he had just performed for no reason.

Agnes returned to his room shortly later carrying a candle and a glass of water. "Thank you, Agnes," he said as she handed him the glass. She nodded her head in acknowledgment.

He drank from the glass slowly as she stood nearby and his head became clearer. "How long did I sleep for?"

"I am told that you could not be roused after you knocked one of your fathers soldiers unconscious early this afternoon," she replied plainly.

He continued to sip from his glass as he took this piece of news in. He felt sorry for the man that he had attacked unknowingly, but knew that not much could be done about it at this point. "Is there any news for me?"

"None that I was told," she stated in a dignified voice. "I was only sent to make sure that you were properly cared for."

"Thank you, Agnes. That will be all," he said as he handed her his glass. He heard that the door shut behind her and was left in the darkness once more.

* * *

She had been in his home when they brought him in. He had been a ghastly sight as dried and caked blood had covered most of his clothing. She wasn't sure if he was alive or, assuming he was, whether he would survive the day. There was no way to tell what had injured him.

She stood there in a state of shock as she saw him rapidly carried in and out of her sight. There were people all around her, but she couldn't notice them. Her eyes were trained on the grime that sullied his normally lusterous hair.

It was only after he had vanished from her sight that her surroundings returned to her. A large man was standing in front of her and she realized that he must have just finished saying something to her from the look on his face.

"I'm sorry what was that?"

"I said that your services here will no longer be required today and that you are to go about your other duties," the large man replied to her.

"My other duties," Amber replied slowly.

"Yes, your other duties, now please leave the premises."

Amber stood there for a moment unable to comprehend what he had said.

"I'm sorry miss, but if you don't go on your own accord I will be forced to escort you out."

She looked back at him and saw no softness in his expression. "No, that won't be necessary. I'll go."

She had walked out of their unsure of where she was going and feeling dizzy. Her mind could not accept what she had seen or what she now was beginning to fear.

He's dead, a small and sinister voice told her.

He can't be! He's going to be all right, she yelled back inside her mind.

He just as your father is.

NO! IT'S NOT LIKE THAT!

Yes, it is and you know it in your heart. You can feel it, can't you. That same dark loneliness you felt when your father left you.

"THAT'S NOT TRUE!" She yelled, frightening some people nearby. Though she said this with such passion, she feared about the truth of her own claim.

This thought had haunted Amber as night came. She was unable to find peace or escape. The worst hours of her life past by as she lay staring at the ceiling filled with dread. She found that crying was a capacity that was beyond her now. There was no way for her to cope with the crushing weight she felt laying on her now.

"Amber are you all right?" was the first thing Amber remembered hearing the next morning. She didn't remember sleeping or how the time had passed her by.

12