The Queens Maid Ch. 03

Story Info
Tales from the French Court.
2.7k words
4.25
13.8k
0

Part 3 of the 4 part series

Updated 10/29/2022
Created 09/14/2011
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Lucreace
Lucreace
59 Followers

The following morning, I awoke in my own room, safe in my own bed. The sunlight streamed through the curtains and it promised to be a beautiful day. I arose and washed myself from head to toe. I couldn't stand the thought of the dust from the dirty room still clinging to my skin. Once I'm dry I clothe myself in my favourite blue dress. I tuck D'artagnan's knife into my belt and the handkerchief he gave me into my pouch. I'll keep it as a token for the time being. I give myself a final glance in the mirror before going to the Queen's rooms to present myself. I knock on her apartment door and enter the room. She looks up from her book and graces me with a smile. "Constance," she said.

"Your Majesty." I replied with a curtsey.

"Are you well?"

"Yes. My thanks for sending someone to find me."

"Who was it that took you?" She said, gesturing for me to enter the room and sit beside her. I took my place on a stool in front of her.

"It was His Eminence Cardinal Richelieu." The look of shock on her face spoke volumes, "He was asking me about your letters."

"And what did you tell him?"

"I had no idea to their contents and I was only charged with taking them to the post master. I reinforced our loyalty to His Majesty and wished death upon his enemies." I explained, "He left me after that, I don't think he was done with me but the intervention of the Musketeers saved me further interrogation."

"You've been very brave Constance." She said, "It must have been terrifying not knowing what was going to happen."

"It was Majesty."

"I can't guarantee it won't happen again either. Does it make you want to leave my service?" she asked, her soft brown eyes looked sad when she spoke. I thought for a moment about my ordeal and shook my head.

"No. I do have a request to make of you though."

"Oh?" she said raising her eyebrow.

"I would like to carry a knife. It's something I would have been able to escape with if I'd had one on my person, twice." I said, "I'd also like to learn to use a sword."

"Constance, how vulgar. You'd want to learn to kill people?"

"Those people showed no worry about doing me harm when they took me, should I then show them some mercy just because I am a woman?" I said.

"I'm not sure if I will consent to one of my ladies learning the sword but I'll meet you on the part of the knife, you may carry one for your protection if it will make you feel safer. Though with all the guards around I'm not sure why you feel the need."

"I was taken from the palace by someone pretending to be a friend. It's only because D'Artagnan saw me that you knew I'd been taken." I said. "I think it prudent to carry my own protection in case this happens again."

"Very well Constance, if you feel it necessary, you may carry a knife with you." She said. I smile, happy to be able to carry D'Artagnan's knife with me all the time. I would feel safer with it at my side.

The Queen turned her attention back to Maria and I took my usual chair and picked up my wall hanging to work on. Lorraine had been working on her share in my absence and it was beginning to take good shape. I sat next to the open window and found my gaze shifting to the gardens more than my sewing. There are a group of young men practicing their sword play on the grass for a change and my eyes are drawn to them. The blue of their uniforms is easy to pick out in the sunshine and I wonder whether my Musketeer is there drilling with them.

"Constance!" the queen snapped.

"Sorry your Majesty." I said.

"You're still suffering from your ordeal?"

"No, I assure you I feel fine."

"Then why so distracted?" I blush a scarlet colour when she asks the question, not wanting her to know of the newest feeling in my heart. She would laugh at my growing infatuation and I didn't want to be a joke, not even for the Queen of France.

"See how she blushes!" Maria exclaimed at my reddening cheeks. "What have you been doing my pretty maid?" she asked. I flick my gaze out the window and Maria's gaze follows mine, "Have you been watching the king's men? How they fight and move around so animated?" she laughs a little and I turn my gaze to the floor. "Oh don't be embarrassed, it's only natural. I like looking at the handsome men too."

"Maybe we should take a walk so we can get a closer look at them?" Anne suggested. I look up at her thought and a smile creeps its way onto my face. "Would you like that Constance?"

"I would enjoy the fresh air." I said, "And the view of the men too." I add with a laugh.

"Very well, you wanton girls, we'll go and have a walk and maybe I'll let you watch the young men for a moment or two." She said putting her work aside, "It's too nice to be cooped up inside while the suns shining anyway." It was the only excuse we needed, we packed up the sewing and the Queen led her ladies outside. We walked down the large avenues of trees onto the large ornamental lawn where the soldiers were practicing their sword play. As promised, the Queen allowed us all to take a seat on the grass and watch the men at work.

It wasn't long until we were joined by His Majesty Louis XIII and his men. They took their seats alongside the Queen and her ladies, leaving us maids to watch the soldiers without distraction. They worked hard in their drilling and their movements were so alive and full of energy. D'Artagnan and his companions were not there with them and I soon lost interest in watching them. I wasn't disappointed for long though, the four of them came riding up on noble looking horses and dismounted when they saw the king' party. The four men joined us and D'Artagnan flopped down between me and Lorraine.

"Are you well Mademoiselle's?" he said, picking up a glass and filling it with the watered wine we have been sharing.

"Never better Monsieur." Lorraine said with a big smile on her face. "We're enjoying watching your comrades training while in this beautiful sunshine. Isn't that so Constance?" she said. I catch them both looking at me and the blood rushes to my cheeks, I'm going to have to stop blushing like this, and it's getting to be more than a bit embarrassing. "Forgive Constance, she's shy."

"Oh you can't say the blush of her cheeks is unpleasant though." D'Artagnan said, "Have you recovered from your ordeal Mademoiselle?" he asked.

"Why yes, thank you. I found myself much recovered upon reaching my apartments." I said with a smile. He returned my smile and gave me a sly wink. Lorraine narrowed her eyes at the gesture and looked at me through those narrow slits.

"Good." He said, "Would you care for a walk? I find this lack of activity stifling on such a warm day." He said.

"Nothing would please me more." Lorraine answered before I could say anything. I arise and beg our leave of the Queen. She grants us permission and I'm joined by the other two. D'Artagnan turns to Aramis before we leave and invites him to take the arm of Lorraine. His companion follows his lead and turns to my friend. We walk in companionable silence for a while; I can hear the chatter of Aramis and Lorraine behind us until that fades away. I look round and find we have wandered away from them.

"Where are you taking me?" I ask, "They'll know we are up to something."

"I had to see you." He replied, "I can't stop thinking about you." He added stopping walking and pulling me to a halt. "I've not had a moment's rest since that collision a month back."

"I-"

"You, my dear Connie." He said taking me in his arms again, "You have driven me to seek you out whenever I can, any moment snatched with you is worth whatever punishment they can throw at me."

"W... When you speak to me in such a manner..." I said, my voice trembling as I talk, being around him, I'm powerless to resist, "Oh D'Artagnan, I'm so afraid."

"What do you fear my Connie?" he asked.

"I'm scared of what you do to me, what you make me feel, I want to be with you but I can't. I have nothing else to offer anyone and I must stay chaste, do you understand?" I said, trying to explain the reason I'd come to court in the first place.

"I know but I can't bear to be without you. The weeks away after our first evening were so painful to endure." He said, his eyes glistened as he spoke, imploring me to listen to him. "I couldn't stop thinking about you; I want to be with you always."

My lips collide with his then, I can't bare hearing about his anguish. I force my tongue into his mouth, pushing his lips apart and delving further than I had before. I clasp the side of his face with my open palm and he pulls me against him with a firm hand. He tilted his head to the left and I drove deeper into his open mouth. I want his hands on me, not gloved, not clasping my hand contritely in a corridor but on my bare flesh with no one to see us. His arm rests in the small of my back and he moans against my mouth as I massage his tongue with my own.

He breaks the kiss, lingering on my lips for just a moment before turning his head. "Someone's coming." He whispered.

"Why is there always someone coming." He's right of course; I can hear the sound of footsteps on the gravel path. D'Artagnan releases me from his arms and I take his hand again. We begin walking towards the lawn, away from the others. He led me onto the grass, "I should go back." I said, not really wanting to but I had a duty to perform, just like he did.

"We've been away no more than ten minutes; we have all afternoon should we wish it." He protested.

"...If you're sure we won't be missed." "The Queen has her other ladies and the King has my two friends as well as his other guards. They won't lament us walking on such a fair day, and you're more than just a maid as you'd have me believe." He said leading me away from the little picnic.

"I am?"

"Yes Mademoiselle. You're the Queen's confidant and I'd go as far as to say her friend. She won't mind your absence after your latest ordeal either." He explained.

"I have something to ask of you." I said, my palms were damp all of a sudden and my breath caught in my throat. "If it's not too much trouble of course." He turned and caught me in his arms and spun me about. I squealed as he whirled me around and embraced me.

"Nothing is too much trouble coming from you. Ask me." He said

"I want you to teach me to fight." I said, looking him straight in the eyes so he knows I'm not joking. He gives me a soft smile and kisses the end of my nose, "I'm serious."

"Dearest Connie, why would you need to learn to fight? I'm right here to protect you." He said. "What about when you're away on campaign D'Artagnan?" I said, "I'd feel better for it."

"And what does Her Majesty say about this?" he asked

"She doesn't approve, she said it was vulgar that I should want to defend myself."

"And you'd disobey her?"

"No one would ever think to kidnap the Queen of France; a little confidant however, is a different matter. It won't hurt anyone and it'll make me feel safer." I explained. "We'd get to spend some time together as well, and no one would be able to question why either"

"And when do you propose we have these secret lessons?" he asked raising a graceful eyebrow.

"You don't want her Majesty finding out your disobeying her wishes." He said pulling me close and nuzzling my neck. I shivered as his moustache brushed against my bare skin and he kissed just below my ear. I gasped as he took my earlobe between his teeth and flicked it with his tongue.

"I was thinking under cover of darkness, I don't attend the Queen every night so on my nights off maybe you could teach me." I said. His hat brim brushed against my cheek so I took it in my hand and removed it, his soft hair tumbled into my face and I drank in the scent as it moved. He dragged his tongue in one long movement to the base of my neck, my breath caught in my throat; his every caress sent new shivers through me.

"Very well. I'll train you to use a sword." He whispered, "And it shall be as you wish, under the cover of night, where no one will know of our secret."

"Our?"

"Of course, these late night trysts, and so they'll be, will involve both of us. I will not be the one to betray such a trust," he said, raising his hand to my face and turning to look at me. He placed his lips on mine before letting me escape his embrace. "Now, we should get back; else so help me I won't be able to stop myself should we start again."

A wave of cold fills the space where he's been pressed against me but his warm smile did a little to fill the void. He took my hand and we walked back to the picnic. I hand his hat to him and he fixes it back on his head before we approach everyone. Lorraine and Aramis are back already, deep in conversation, Maria gives us a sly look but says nothing. D'Artagnan sits down and pulls me down next to him. I can feel his thigh pressing against mine and my heart pounds, I want to kiss him again, pick up where we left off but with everyone here it would be inappropriate.

"D'Artagnan!" Athos shouts. He turns his handsome face away from me and nods to his friend. "We need to be going."

"Yes. Indeed," he nods. "Aramis, let's go." Aramis nods to Lorraine and arises, D'Artagnan clasps my hand in his before he too stands up. Porthos follows and the four men take their leave. I watch them go until they are out of sight before turning back to Lorraine. She grins at me and we turn our attention to the Queen, she's deep in conversation with some of her other ladies so we're left to our own devices. "I saw you," she whispered.

"What?"

"I saw you and D'Artagnan together."

"You won't tell will you?" I asked, I didn't want anyone to know, if word got back to my father he'd come and take me away from here and my new found freedom. I couldn't bear the thought of that. He would definitely not approve of the current developments in my life.

"Your secret is safe with me." She said, "If mine is with you."

"Of course." I nod, she and Aramis must have got on well together, there's a discreet flush about her cheeks and she's smiling more than usual.

"Come on Ladies," Anne said, turning her attention back to us all, "We should retire to our rooms and prepare for the evening." She arose from the blanket and we all did the same. The King had already retired and the Queen led us back to her apartments. She dismissed us, preferring to have some of the other girls attend her. I returned to my own rooms and thought of the day just passed. The afternoon wasn't that late and I was off this evening. I pulled a book from my shelf and sat down on my little chair. It's been a wonderful day.

Lucreace
Lucreace
59 Followers