The Race

Story Info
A man's dream catches up with him.
1.9k words
3.94
10.9k
1
0
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Copyright 2007 by madengineer3. All rights reserved.

*

"I tell you Doc, I'm afraid to go to sleep. But, at the same time I can't take much more sleeplessness! Without being melodramatic; I also feel that my sanity, my very being is at stake in this."

"O.K. John, I understand what you are saying but I need to get a better feel for what terrifies you so much."

"O.K. Doc, as I've told you before; the problem that sleep brings to me is that I end up facing what I can only characterize as an alternate me! I don't mean that the other me looks different from me. In fact "my shadow" (which is what I have labeled him), looks identical to me. What is different is the character, the nature, the personality of this being. He has no concept of right or wrong, no shred of compassion, and, he speaks in a sort of "sing song" squeaky voice. I have the feeling that it doesn't want me around and is biding its time to get rid of me. I am afraid for my life and sanity."

"Hmmmmmmmmm. You obviously have a bass voice as opposed to a tenor or alto voice of your dream character. . Maybe sound is part of the key to this. Does your "shadow" threaten you in any way?

"Not directly. I just sense a basic antagonism between "my shadow" and me. I see fleeting glimpses of pure hatred on his face. The frightening part happens when I go to leave "my shadow" and return to conscious thought. Just before waking up I have to exit the place where "my shadow" resides and the real world in which we spend our waking hours." It is as if "my shadow" senses that I am going to open the door that bars "my shadow" from his world to my world. "My shadow" doesn't seem to have the ability to open that door if I am on the other side of it. But, when I am near "my shadow's" I think he has just as much ability to open that door as I do. So far I have always managed to stay between the door and "my shadow". We always end up in a race to get to the door. The race takes place in a maze, and at first I was much faster at solving the maze than he was. However, "my shadow" is now within a step or so of me when I get to the door; and I am afraid. The last time I slept; what was it, maybe three days ago, a new twist was added to this picture. "My shadow" introduced me to a sexy young woman. The young woman wanted me to stay with her, but I ran away from her as rapidly as I could. That was the time that "my shadow" almost beat me to the door."

"I think I heard you say that your shadow introduced you to a sexy young woman, but that you ran from her? Was she threatening?"

"No, she wasn't directly threatening, but there was something about her that was extremely unnerving. I can't put my finger on what made me afraid, but it was real to me at that moment."

"This lack of sleep has me very concerned, John. The human psyche requires a certain amount of sleep if it is going to be healthy. Sleep deprivation can do strange things to a person's mind. If you don't mind I would like to schedule a sleep study for you. In the case of this study I will set aside the time to continuously review the EEG and other monitors. Maybe we can isolate what is happening. Maybe there is some physical reason for what is happening. Would you be willing to submit to such a study?"

"I don't know, Doc, I am not sure that you would be able to measure what was happening with any instruments that I am aware of. Isn't there any other way to handle this?"

"Well, we could tape you during your sleep and as you wake you could record a picture of your dream in as much detail as you can. Perhaps we can get see what archetypes may be encoded in what you are dreaming."

"That's a problem Doc, I don't dare go to sleep. What if ...........something happens during the sleep time? You can't see my dreams so how could you help?"

"John, I am sure that you feel that there is some reality contained in these dreams. In fact these dreams may well indicate some deep seated problem from your past. I have never seen a dream actually do anyone harm. There might be a compromise position here. How about if I were to hypnotize you and have you narrate what is happening. Maybe we could get to the bottom of the problem that way."

"I guess that I could go along with that, since you would be right there hearing what I am going through. Can you get me out of the hypnotized state quickly enough to stop any serious problems?"

"I feel sure that I can, John. Are you willing to try it?"

"Yeah, I guess that it may be the only way to resolve this problem. When, and where, do you want to do it?"

"Let me make a call."

The Doctor picked up the phone and dialed the number for Mercy Hospital's sleep lab.

"Is Doctor Paul Jones available please, this is Doctor Ivan Reme calling."

"Just a moment Doctor."

"Hi Ivan, what can I do for you?"

"Hi Paul, do you have one of your special sleep rooms available for tonight?"

"As a matter of fact we do. Do you want both video and audio feeds?"

"Yes, I will also need a chair in the room so that I can wake the patient in case of some anomaly. I'm going to put him in a hypnotic trance and see if we can get to the bottom of this series of dreams that he has had. I intend to leave him with a suggestion that he should narrate his dream and that if I speak his name he will immediately wake up and remember the dream."

"We can provide the room. When do you want to start?"

"How about an hour from now? He's my last patient of the day, and with tomorrow being Saturday I wouldn't be facing patients anyway. Can you be ready in that short a time?"

"We'll see you then. I'll get everything set up so you can start when you arrive."

"O.K. John, we're going over to Mercy Hospital right now. I've reserved a room for you where everything will be video taped from two positions and I can stay with you during your sleep. Let's see if we can't solve this thing now!"

"O.K. Doc, I just hope that this can resolve the problem."

"Me too, John, me too."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Are you comfortable in that bed, John?"

"Mostly, Doc, it isn't like my bed at home but I am tired enough so that should make no difference."

"O.K. John, I'm going to sit here and make notes. I've already given you the key suggestion that will allow you to doze off easily and will allow me to wake you on very short notice. You will also narrate your dream as you have it. Try to go to sleep. With me here you have nothing to fear."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * John found himself in a warm, quiet room. He was not alone. The woman was looking at him with love, or was it lust?, in her eyes. John had to admit that she was gorgeous! Her face was the optimum mix of all the pretty faces that he had ever seen. Her body was as perfect as any that he had ever seen. To top it off, she was wearing a micro-bikini that left nothing much to the imagination.

John looked around and could not see his alter ego. He sensed no danger. The girl was receiving almost his entire attention.

"Hi John, why did you run away from me last time? I'm not going to bite you, unless that is one of your fantasies. By the way, you can call me Helen. I'm a but older than I look. I was the reason for the battles around ancient Troy. But, you know all about that from reading Homer's Iliad and Odyssey. I've always found it funny that people assume that those works are only fiction, when they are almost pure fact."

"What do you want with me, Helen. I'm just a simple man and I'm not yet sure of what you are."

"It has been so long since a mortal man has made love to me that I decided to ask you to help remove my frustration."

She moved close to John, and gave him the most moving kiss that he had ever received. John's head was now focused on only one thing, this beautiful creature who was now in his arms.

"What would you like me to do, Helen. Is there anything that you most desire or need?"

"Just cuddle with me and then make love to me. I have studied you over the years and am very happy with how you treat women. Make me feel totally alive again!"

"I'd love to. Is there a comfortable couch or bed where we could relax?"

"Yes, follow me." And follow her he did.

The room was adorned with flowers and a wonderful bed that was both soft and supportive at the same time. John and Helen lay down on the bed and started to manually excite each other.

"Helen, do you bring people here very often?"

"No, the last one who spent such time with me was named Dr. Faust. He really received more pleasure than he had believed possible. Unfortunately, due to some business dealings he had made, he was only able to stay with me for a little while. You, on the other hand, haven't made such deals so you and I can take our pleasure slowly. It's always better when it is slow and exciting."

John had already removed the bikini from Helen just as she had removed his clothes. They were running their hands all over each other's bodies. John had never been so mentally relaxed and physically excited. Helen started to orally stimulate John's cock. John was beside himself with pleasure. I'm sure you can remember the times when lovemaking that your mind all but shuts down to allow the incredible pleasure to roll over you like large waves crashing on the beach.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Doctor Ivan Reme had been observing John for about an hour now. The Doctor could see, from the tenting of the sheet, that John was having a "wet dream".. John, he was sure was not in fear at this instant.

John was startled to hear a voice calling to him, seemingly from a great distance. In the distance he saw his "shadow" standing next to the door out of his inner world.

Sudden fear gripped John's heart. He screamed for help, but Helen held him fast. While he watched she turned into decayed flesh and bones. Her skeleton grin seemed to mock him.

Doctor Ream was startled by the sound of that desperate scream. He said the key word to John to wake him up.

"John, what happened? What made you scream?"

"Nothing's wrong Doc, I think all my sleep problems have ended for good!" said the "sing song" squeaky voice.

Doctor Reme was suddenly very cold and very afraid.