The Return Ch. 03

Story Info
Sarah, Geoff and Rebecca.
8.6k words
4.59
109.7k
53

Part 3 of the 6 part series

Updated 11/01/2022
Created 07/08/2008
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
muirmadra
muirmadra
544 Followers

My thanks to Techsan for his editorial patience.


Chapter Three: Home and Rebecca

Geoff woke as the wheels touched down on the San Francisco International runway; the lurch of the 727 as it hit the pavement shook Geoff enough to rouse him from his slumber. Minutes later, the big jet taxied to the gate and Geoff stood and reached up, grabbing his carry-on. First class had its advantages as he made for the exit, the two strikingly attractive flight attendants waiting. As he passed by, the blond touched his arm and discreetly handed him a small sheet of paper. Smiling, she mouthed the words, "Call me." He grinned and winked nodding his head before he stepped off the plane. Yep, first class does have its privileges, he mused.

Geoff didn't bother with baggage; he already had shipped his belongings weeks before he left Jamaica. He laughed thinking about Mardigan and Satch back in Jamaica. Gotta admit, he thought, they knew their stuff. With what he brought up from the wreck those three days, those two were able to make him very, very rich.

He still couldn't believe he'd finally found the lost German U-boat he had spent the past two years searching for. The U-387 had gone down with all hands while transiting between Cuba and Jamaica. Legend said the German sub was hauling a cargo full of gold bullion meant for the Third Reich but had the bad luck of running into the worst hurricane in over fifty years. The U-boat never finished the transit. Rumors of the whereabouts of the sub placed the U-boat anywhere from the Bahamas to the Grand Caymans. It was six months ago, when he came across a group of old black fishermen, he learned of a massive long steel wreck shaped much like a large tube. The wreckage lay under seventy-five feet of water among several other shipwrecks. But, he found it. And with it, the gold.

Hailing a taxi, Geoff stopped off at the nearest Lexus dealer and, an hour later, drove off the lot in the newest Lexus, an LF-A roadster, a sports convertible just released. Prior to leaving Jamaica, he had already arranged for the car to be available and ready for pick up. His carry-on lying on the passenger seat, Geoff sped onto the I-5 and soon was crossing the Golden Gate Bridge.

Passing through Santa Rosa, his mind wandered thinking of Moon Key Bay and his parents. His Dad was an excellent seaman and a seasoned yachtsman. Competing in several regattas', Mr. McKenzie was renowned for his skills and tactics and won numerous races. He wouldn't have had a problem dealing with gale winds. No, something wasn't right and he was going to conduct his own investigation.

As he passed through Santa Rosa, the sun was beginning to set. He kept the top down, enjoying the cool evening air as he zipped along on the freeway. Less than an hour, he pulled off the exit to Moon Key, a feeling of anxiety building within him. He slowed for the local traffic, eyes watching as he passed. He knew the car would draw attention. As far as he knew, he was the first one to have an LF roadster. And the sleek dark titanium color didn't help in blending in with the crowd.

As he travelled down Main Street, he saw the Blue Crane Dance Club, lights blazing and a crowd at the entrance. As he passed the club, everyone in the crowd turned to stare. He wasn't sure but he thought he heard someone scream out his name. Geoff didn't stop to see who it was. He wasn't ready yet.

He turned toward the harbor and drove along the coastline until he arrived at the entrance to a private drive. Taking a deep breath, he turned onto the private road and soon pulled up to the circular drive of his home, the McKenzie Estate. Surprised, he saw the private drive and the mansion awash in accent lighting, the interior of the house brightly lit.

As he exited the Lexus, the front doors opened and Jonathon Dean stood at the top of the steps. Geoff smiled as he approached his godfather and said, "Well, you did say you'd have everything ready by the time I got here."

With a grand sweeping gesture, Dean said, "Welcome home, Mr. McKenzie."

Geoff hugged his family attorney and, together, they stepped across the threshold. Geoff stood in the entrance and stared; he was home. "My god Dean, everything looks the same...as if I had left yesterday."

"That was your mother's doing, I am afraid. Your father wanted to change a few things here and there, but she was adamant nothing was to be touched until you returned. As usual, your father was always quick to acquiesce to her wishes."

Geoff laughed, "Yeah, Dad was like putty in her hands...I remember. But, she never really took advantage of it. But, oh...did she tease him." Geoff quickly rubbed his eyes before Dean noticed.

"My room still available?"

"Of course, Mr. McKenzie."

"Dean...please knock off the Mr. McKenzie crap. I'm still Geoff, the little brat that caused you so much grief, okay?"

Dean chuckled and said, "Fine...Geoff. I just had to call you by your family name the first time you set foot in the house again. From now on, unless in mixed company, I will call you Geoff."

"Thanks Dean. My things here?"

"Yes, your bags are in your room. The...other objects are stored in the basement."

"Great...thanks. You staying awhile?"

"No, Martha's waiting for me. She has not been well as late but she wanted to greet you at the house. I told her you would see her tomorrow. I didn't want to tax her any further."

"I'm sorry to hear she's not feeling well. What's wrong?"

"We do not know yet. She has an appointment to see the family physician tomorrow."

"Doc Weller? He's still our family doctor? I thought he'd have retired by now."

"Not yet. Doctor Weller says he is not ready to be put out to pasture quite yet. Well, if you do not mind, I best be getting back to Martha."

Geoff hooked his arm over the older man's shoulders and walked him to the drive. Standing next to the Bentley, Geoff shook his godfather's hand and said, "Give Martha a hug and kiss for me. Tell her I hope she starts feeling better and I'll stop in and visit."

"I will. By the way, Julie is aware you will soon be home. I believe she thinks you will be here in two more days. At least, that was the information I provided her. I thought you might like to be alone to do your thing until you're ready to see...people."

Geoff smiled and thanked his old friend and watched as he drove off. When the Bentley vanished, sadness washed over him. He turned and walked into the huge empty house, steeling himself for the ghosts of his past.

He spent much of the night walking around his old home, spending time in his parents and sisters rooms. He hadn't realized until now, how much he missed them. Geoff moved downstairs and stepped into his father's study, the last place he saw his dad. He remembered their conversation; it was right after he found Sarah with Armestead. He wished now, he had heeded his dad's words.

When he stepped into the huge garage and workshop, he was surprised to see all the cars. He cried when he saw his father's old Willys Jeep. He had brought the beat-up military transport into the states from his time in Korea in the early 50's.

Finding himself back in his father's study, he went to the liquor cabinet and took down the Whaler's rum. He didn't bother with a glass, instead drinking straight from the bottle. It didn't take long before he passed out on the worn leather couch he once, as a young boy, played on. The following morning, Julie found him still plastered over the frayed leather.

Julie knew her brother was back in town. Someone at the club had spotted him in a sleek looking convertible and called her asking her how long Geoff had been home.

"Why are you asking me about Geoff?" she said. "I haven't seen that asshole for the past seven years! He's never called, never let us know he's even alive, and obviously hasn't shown any interest in his family! So...no, I don't know anything and I...do...not...fucking...care!"

Slamming down the receiver, she looked down at her seven year old charge. She had promised a dear friend she would babysit tonight but new ideas came bubbling to the surface.

"Ooohhh..., god damn it, when am I ever gonna learn?" Geoff groaned, one leg draped over the back of the couch, the other hanging off onto the floor. He slowly lifted his right arm pressing his fingers against his temples trying desperately to rub away the massive headache throbbing behind his eyes. "Ahhggg...," he whined when he tried to free his left arm from behind his back. He'd been lying on the appendage since he passed out and the arm felt dead. The moment he tried moving it, he cried from the painful sensation of millions of tiny needles jamming his nerve endings.

A tiny giggle pounded against his head like a sledgehammer. A giggle? His right eye cracked open and, with difficulty, he turned his head to the offending noise. Standing before him, tittering and bouncing on the balls of her feet, was a golden haired freckle faced elf with enormous startling green eyes. He smiled but she frowned and swiftly fled behind another individual, this one not so elf like. In fact, the face seemed very familiar...Julie!

"Shit...hello, Julie."

"Watch your language, Geoff," she scolded. "There are tiny ears about."

"Oh, my apologies to the pretty little elf hiding behind you," he said finally opening his other eye.

The little girl, he estimated to be around six or seven years old, peeked out from behind his sister and giggled, "He's funny."

In return, Julie hissed, "Oh, yes, he's just adorable. Geoff let me introduce you to Rebecca, Becky for short. Now, get your butt up and haul yourself upstairs. I took the liberty to unpack your bags. There's a fresh set of clothes on your bed and the shower is running as we speak. Rebecca and I will be in the kitchen getting some lunch together."

"Lunch? What happened to breakfast?"

Julie scowled and snarled, "It's one in the afternoon, dear brother. Time for lunch! Now, get your ass moving." Julie rolled her eyes and said, "Sorry Becky, my brother makes the worst come out of me. Let's go make lunch."

Abruptly, she turned and, with little Rebecca in tow, headed for the kitchen. He smiled at the enchanting little elf when she turned to stare at him.

Twenty minutes later, he stumbled into the kitchen finding the two girls seated at the dinette table.

"Well, at least you clean up well...," mused his sister. She slid a plate with a sandwich on it toward the empty chair next to Becky, the little girl's huge green eyes staring at him, studying him.

Next to the plate sat a tall glass of milk. "Milk? Hell, I haven't had milk for..."

"Seven years?" Julie glared at him.

"Uh...yeah, I guess," he sheepishly agreed and sat down. Taking the glass, he pounded down the contents finishing with a small belch causing an eruption of musical laughter from Becky. He looked down at her and grinned causing her to laugh uncontrollably, Julie joining in.

"Okay...what's so funny? You guys find me funny looking?"

"Uncle Geoff, you have a milk moustache," said the little girl, giggling.

"Uncle Geoff?"

"Uh...yes, Becky thinks of me as her aunt so she believes you to be her uncle," said Julie. Geoff could see there was something behind those eyes she wasn't telling and trying hard to hide whatever it is.

"Okay, then Uncle Geoff I am and damn proud of it!"

"Geoff, I told you to watch your language. You have two ladies in your presence."

Laughing he said, "Two ladies?"

Less than a second later, a huge glob of butter slammed against the center of his forehead, slid downward and stuck to the tip of his nose. Sitting there with milk coating his upper lip and butter on his nose, Becky fell into hysterics. While she was laughing, Geoff slowly turned to his sister and stood. Removing the lid to a jar of grape jelly, he reached in scooping up two fingers worth of the purple substance.

"You wouldn't dare!" she exclaimed.

Geoff didn't say a word as he came toward her. Suddenly, she flung back her chair and jumped up, but, not fast enough to avoid the two jelly-coated fingers stroking across her cheeks.

By now, Becky was doubled over with laughter, trying desperately to catch her breath. "Ah..hah, hah...hah...ah, you two look so goofy," she squealed. Both Julie and Geoff turned and stared at the little redhead.

"Goofy?" they said together as they began to slink toward her. Screaming, she tore out of the kitchen as Julie and her brother turned to look at the other. Julie grabbed a kitchen towel and wiped off the mess on Geoff's face. After she finished, he took the towel and cleaned off the jelly smear on her cheeks. As he gazed at her, her eyes moistened and suddenly she jumped into his arms, crying.

"My god, Geoff, I have missed you so much...where the hell have you been for so long? Why did you leave me?" He held her while she sobbed into his chest, soaking his t-shirt.

"I'm so sorry, Julie. I was so devastated at the time I wasn't thinking straight. I had to get away from everyone. I never meant to hurt you or Mom and Dad." Thinking of his parents, he began to shed his own tears as they held each other.

"What's wrong, Aunt Julie? Did he hurt you?" They both turned to find Becky staring from the kitchen door, an angry scowl focused on Geoff.

"No, sweetie, we're both just so happy to see each other, to be together again. That's all...okay?"

Becky glared at Geoff for a few seconds before she smiled and rushed in to hug them.

After lunch, Julie told her brother she had to leave. Becky's mother would soon be home and Julie wanted to take Becky home before she arrived. Standing by Julie's car, a powder blue 65 Ford Mustang convertible, Geoff ran his fingers along the back fender. "Still got the Stang, I see."

His sister smiled. "Yep, I'll never sell it. Dad bought it for me when I turned sixteen. Now, it reminds me of him." Her smile slipped as Geoff took her into his arms and kissed her forehead.

"Julie, you need to make some time so we can catch up. I've got a lot of unanswered questions only you can help me with." Geoff stared at her, questioning her reply.

"I know and there's so much I have to tell you. I just can't do it with Becky here. I'll come back later tonight. We can talk then."

"Okay, in the meantime...I think I'll drive around town and take in the sights. Nothing seems to have changed much."

Julie gazed at her brother drinking in how much he'd changed. He was no longer the slender, awkward young man she once knew. She could see her father in his face but those brilliant green eyes reflected their mother eyes. Now, he'd become this tall, well-built, rugged but handsome man. Hell, not just handsome but...a gorgeous hunk! If he wasn't my brother, she thought.

"Mmm, a few things have changed...some good and some maybe not so good. We'll catch up. Gotta go. See ya tonight!"

Geoff watched as she hopped into the driver's seat and made sure the cute little elf buckled in before Julie waved and drove off. A sensation of emptiness crept up on him. He wasn't sure if he could stay here without his mother and father. He could feel their presence everywhere.

Kicking at the gravel, he thought...I'll give it a few days.

As the Gun metal titanium Lexus glided along Main Street, Geoff was amazed at how the town managed to remain, for the most part, unchanged. The movie theater did become a multi-plex of four movie screens and the bank was now a Veteran's Thrift store. He found the bank further along Main Street, a more modern version of its former self. He continued to follow the road through downtown slowing a bit as he approached the hospital. As he passed the large white building, he suddenly slammed on the brakes. A woman just stepped from the hospital entrance and looked up at the sound of screeching tires, a woman in a white nurse's outfit, her strawberry blond hair pulled back into a pony tail. Sarah! My god, she's as beautiful as I last remembered her. He turned away and sped off, embarrassed at his reaction. "God, I hope she didn't see me act like such an idiot," he growled. She must be married by now, probably to Bobby, he thought. He was surprised by her effect on him. He realized he still loved her, despite her betrayal, despite the passing of seven years. "Shit, she looked amazing," he whispered.

Geoff headed back to the mansion; he wasn't yet ready to do this. Soon he was pulling up to the drive, bewildered at the presence of the town's local sheriff's unit parked in front of the house.

"Great, now what...I've only been home less than twenty-four hours."

Pulling up directly behind the black and white, he saw the driver look in the rear view mirror and then step out of the patrol car. As soon as the officer turned, Geoff gasped.

"Billy?"

The uniformed individual laughed and rushed up grabbing Geoff in a massive bear hug, Geoff's feet inches off the ground.

"You son of bitch, bout time you came home! Julie called me this morning and told me. Plus, Sketchpad saw you drive by the club last night. He wasn't sure it was you...he was too busy staring at that gleaming piece of metal you were driving. How the hell did you get you paws on a Lexus LF-A roadster? They're not supposed to be out yet."

"Put me down you, big oaf. You're still a hulking Kodiak. How did you manage to fool the sheriff into making you a deputy?"

Billy released Geoff, who was still nearly a foot off the ground. Not expecting the fall, Geoff barely kept from tumbling back on his ass.

"Serves ya right, shit for brains. I'm the Sheriff in these here parts." Geoff laughed and pointed at the lumbering giant.

"You mean to tell me the good people of Moon Key Bay somehow lost all reason and, in a fit of insanity, voted you sheriff? Fuck! We're all doomed," he lamented acting as if he was tearing out his hair.

"Oh, funny, very funny."

The two stared at one another before they screamed and grabbed one another.

"Man, I've missed you, ya behemoth! A cop? You? I would never have believed it."

"Yeah, I know. Decided I would rather be on this side of the bars instead of inside. Labin finally decided to retire and I became his replacement. Then, when elections came around, the fine folks of Moon Key Bay honored me as their choice for Sheriff. Pissed off Bobby Armestead."

"Why would Bobby care?"

"Hell, he ran against me. Thought he was a shoo-in but the townsfolk thought otherwise."

"Bobby ran for Sheriff? Why would he want that? What's been happening while I was gone?"

"A lot, Geoff. The Armesteads own half the town now. Since I'm an elected official, they can't touch me. They've tried but, so far, the council has supported me and the department. By the way...Bobby knows your back."

"Shit, how the hell does everyone know I'm home? I only came in last night."

"Come on Geoff, this is a small town. The moment Sketchpad thought he saw you, he put the word out to anyone interested...and believe me, there are a lot of people interested in you."

"Why?"

"Besides your parents, other reasons I'm not at liberty to say just yet. Just suffice it to say, watch your back. Remember, Bobby Armestead still hasn't forgotten about the beating you gave him that night."

"Fuck that piss ant. Did he make Sarah an honest woman and marry the girl?"

Billy stared at Geoff before saying, "Uh...no, Sarah would have nothing to do with him after that night. You left so suddenly you didn't know; she tried to file attempted rape charges against him.

The Armesteads bought out that corrupt pig of a sheriff then. Remember him and his cronies? John Belamy squashed the investigation and made it sound as if Sarah had led Bobby on. She was devastated you vanished. She tried to get your father to tell her something but he would only say you took off to parts unknown. She never believed him. Anyway, she dropped out of college for awhile. Became a recluse until your sister dragged her out of the house and back into the world. Geoff, you nearly destroyed that girl. You always did have your father's temper."

muirmadra
muirmadra
544 Followers