The Return Ch. 06

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
muirmadra
muirmadra
543 Followers

After Jack took several photos of the hole, they continued along the hull until they arrived at the stern for some more pictures. Geoff closed his eyes after reading Annabella. Jack pulled on Geoff's fin causing him to turn and see Jack gesturing a thumbs up. Looking at his pressure gauge, Geoff noted they had enough air left to return to the surface with a short decom stop. He nodded and they began heading back to the guide line.

Soon, they were hovering at fifteen feet as they decompressed for several minutes. He knew it wasn't necessary, they hadn't been on the bottom that long; however, better safe than sorry.

Using the guide line, they pulled themselves against the current until they could catch a hold onto the aluminum ladder attached to the swimmers platform. Geoff removed his fins handing them to Jenny who was on the platform. Quickly, both Geoff and Jack were able to remove their gear, Jenny hauling the last piece of equipment, Jack's camera and housing, tank and compensator, onto the deck.

Exhausted from fighting the current, they both laid on the deck until they could catch their breath.

"Well?" The deep voice of Jenny boomed as he stared at the two floundering men.

"It's her. The Annabella," said Jack. Geoff remained silent, his eyes closed.

"Shit," replied Jenny. He turned and saw Terry, Sarah and little Becky staring at the men. Jenny nodded and Sarah gasped, her hand covering her mouth.

********************

"God damn that man!" Robert screamed and smashed the phone against its cradle. Wilson Goodman sat in the plush leather chair against the far wall of Robert's office.

"Bad news, I take it?"

"They found the ship!"

"Ship?"

"The Annabella, you ass...McKenzie's boat."

How do you know they found McKenzie's boat and so what?

"Years ago, McKenzie had a partner, Jack Davenport. Davenport retired a while ago and built a home in a little town called Coos Bay, in Oregon. My grandfather, Nathanial, hire Grecko to plant several bugs in the McKenzie home, his business office, the Annabella, Davenport's place and on Davenport's yacht...I think it's called the Palatka, whatever that means. Hell, Nathanial even bugged the Mayor's and Sheriff's office. I never gave those things a second thought until Geoff McKenzie disappeared for the past week. I thought, maybe he might pay a visit on James McKenzie's former partner and...he did. The bugs still work. Grecko's been monitoring the devices and reporting directly to me."

"They found the Annabella and discovered the ship didn't sink because of the storm. That means, you poor excuse for a mouth piece, they now have the evidence to show foul play was involved. And, if you haven't figured it out, means an investigation into the intentional sinking of the McKenzie's sloop."

"Have they reported their findings yet?"

"No, we would have heard something if they had. They're still out there. That fucking McKenzie Junior snagged a Davenport's yacht and searched with sonar. Grecko says they are still out there with full diving gear. Geoff McKenzie and Jack Davenport have already dove on the wreck several times."

"What are you going to do about it?"

"Take care of it!"

"How?"

"That's my business," snarled Robert. "You don't want to know."

"Fine, just fine Robert, but you better use caution. You could lose everything."

Armestead just looked at his lawyer as Goodman rose and left without looking back.

"Samantha?"

"Yes, Mr. Armestead?" asked his secretary.

"Get Mr. Scoccio for me."

After a pause, she said, "Yes sir."

As Carmine walked into Armestead's office, he could see Robert on the phone. He glanced at Carmine and waved him to a chair as he spoke on the phone.

"Good, have it ready tonight, yes...tonight."

Carmine studied the man as Robert hung up the phone and stared at it for a few seconds. Armestead was on self-destruct. Carmine knew he would have to report his concerns to Provinzano. And, Michael wouldn't like it.

"Carmine, you know where Geoff McKenzie is at this moment?"

Carmine stared at the man and nodded. "Yes, I do. Your watchdog, Grecko clued me in."

Robert Armestead leaped from the chair sending it tumbling against the wall with a resounding crash. "Then why the fuck haven't you done something about that asshole? You know he took out your previous cronies. Now, he's digging up evidence that can, pardon the pun, sink me...us!"

Carmine's smile didn't reflect in his eyes. "We'll take care of it."

"Then fucking take care it...do your fucking job. I'll have a speed boat ready for you tonight. See that you clean up this mess. Or, do I have to call your boss?"

The smile vanished, his lips tight, matching the coldness of his eyes. "No," was all he uttered before he stood and quietly strode from the room.

Robert Armestead glared at the man's back, his breathing labored. After he calmed down, Robert realized what he had done. He reached down and set the chair back up. Sitting back down, his elbows against the desk, he laid his face in his hands and groaned. A gentle knock sounded at his door.

"Come in, Samantha."

The door opened and she peeked in. "Are you alright, Mr. Armestead," concern in her voice.

He gazed at her, at that beautiful fair complexion framed by her long straight blond hair, her large blue eyes fixed on his. He smiled and said, "With your help, I soon will be."

Samantha's eyes widened, her concern turning to unease. She knew her boss's appetite, he was hungry and she was his midday meal. With a sigh, she silently entered closing the door behind her.

"Pauli, Raf...come here, we got business." Carmine was angry. If Provinzano ever gave the word, he would enjoy squashing to miserable little fuck, Armestead.

When his two henchmen approached, he said, "We're going out tonight to finish our contract. Bring all the hardware."

"Where we going?" asked Pauli.

"Out to sea," murmured Carmine, "out to sea."

*********************

Geoff hung just above Davenport as Jack used a large crowbar against a spar that had lodged against the hatchway into the interior of the Annabella. Geoff held the powerful underwater lamp lighting the entrance into the cabins as Jack tried to pry away the obstruction. A large black shadow passed overhead against midnight blue water. They had decided to continue their operations into the evening for one final dive for the day. Geoff was determined to gain access to the cabins. He turned toward the swift moving shadow and saw the silhouette of a six foot blue shark. Relieved it was only a blue, he turned back to Jack discovering he had dislodged the wooden beam.

This time they weren't rushed. Jenny had also been able to obtain two rebreathers allowing the two divers to remain below for an extended period. The rebreathers recycled the used air, scrubbing away the carbon dioxide and other contaminants while adding a small dose of fresh oxygen to the reclaimed mixture.

Setting down the lamp, Geoff swam in to help Jack move the spar aside. This time Jack grabbed the light as Geoff tried the hatchway. The hatch stuck causing him to smash his shoulder into the wooden door. With a flurry of bubbles, the hatch swung inward revealing total darkness within the sunken vessel. Trapped air escaped from the open hatchway as the two divers watched bits of floating debris slip from the opening and slowly drift toward the surface.

Geoff turned to his diving partner and signaled he was entering the interior. Jack nodded and focused the lamp through the opening. Geoff reached down and unclipped a small dive light from his buoyancy compensator and silently glided through the entrance. The light filtered through the water illuminating from the darkness small particles of matter and bits of debris floating around the main cabin.

He skewed the light in a circle searching for the two things he didn't want to find. The main cabin proved empty. Pulling his way toward the bow, he came to an open hatchway into the forward cabin or bedroom. Pushing the hatch away, he swung the flashlight through lighting up the compartment. Again...nothing. Geoff knew the forward hold was just beyond and held his breath for a few seconds. Fear gripped his heart knowing what he may find beyond that bulkhead. As he drifted toward a small hatch cover, he unlatched it and pushed. He settled down and, shining the light into the forward hold, he found them.

"It looked as if James was trying to get into the bilge from the forward hold either attempt repairs or assess the damage to the hull. Somehow an upper support must have loosened from the blast and fell on him. Annabella must have tried to help James as the ship was going down. Knowing her, she probably refused to leave him." Jack looked into the tearing eyes of his audience as he told of their grim discovery. Sarah held Becky in her arms as she stared at Geoff standing against the stern rail, his back to them. Terry was next to Jack, her arms around his shoulders as she quietly wept into his chest. Jenarde stood back by the ladder to the bridge.

Becky pulled away from her mother and walked over to her father. Pressing her head against his side, she hugged his waist. Geoff looked down and placed his arm around her shoulder and held her tight. Soon, he felt Sarah's soothing arms embrace him as she whispered how sorry she was for their loss. Geoff nodded, his face smothered in her soft hair.

"We have to bring them up," he quietly said. "I want to take them home now."

"Geoff, you need to rest first. You and Jack can bring them up in the..."

"NO! I need to get them now, not in the morning, not later but now! Even if I have to do it myself."

"You won't have to, Geoff. I'm ready to go when you are." Jack was standing behind them as he spoke. "I want James and Annabella with us as much as you do. But, we do have to wait until we've gassed out."

Geoff turned and nodded to his father's best friend and partner. "Thanks Jack. Let's at least replace the scrubbers and get ready."

Terry came up and said, "Shouldn't we notify the Coast Guard?"

Geoff was about to say, "Fuck the Coast Guard," but saw his daughter staring up at him.

"We'll call them once we have my mother and father aboard."

Terry nodded and walked away.

"Terry?"

She turned and looked back. Geoff said, "Thank you." Terry smiled and nodded before stepping into the cabin.

Once they could safely dive again, Jack was back in the water as Geoff donned his gear. Once he too, was in the water, Jenny handed them two large canvas rolls and nylon cord. As they vented their compensators, bubbles burst around them as they began to sink beneath the seas. Once submerged, they could see the bright greenish glow of underwater lamps hanging over the side of the yacht.

Again, holding onto the guide line, Geoff led the way back through the inky darkness toward the wreck determined to retrieve his parents.

Back inside Annabella, Jack waited as Geoff personally wrapped his mother in the canvas shroud securing it with the cord. He choked back a gasp as her golden hair flowed around his gloves before he closed the canvas over her face. Mercifully, her features hadn't suffered any damage from sea born organisms; however, the salt water had taken its toll on her body. He gently lifted her from the deck and slipped her to Jack who carefully carried her from the hold.

He turned to his father, still pinned under a bulkhead support. Using every bit of strength and leverage he could muster, the support snapped loose and fell away allowing access to James McKenzie. He noted the same serene appearance on his father's face that his mother had. A sob escaped from the regulator as he understood the significance. Knowing they both were about to die, they were content to be together in their final moments.

Using the second canvas wrap, he secured his father within and tightly sealed it with the cord. He carried his father to the open hatch and passed him to Jack who pulled James into the forward cabin. As Geoff held his mother, Jack carried James as they both made to the open stern deck. They looked up and could barely see the faint glow of the high powered lamps hanging from the Palatka. The guide line, now attached to the stern of the Annabella had two cables attached to it. Jenny had dropped them for Geoff to tie off before he and Jack returned with James and Annabella. Making sure both his parents were well secured within the confines of the canvas rolls, he attached four lines around each body, the four lines attached to each of the two cables. Once done, he and Jack began their ascent on the guide line.

Holding at forty feet, Geoff couldn't help but look down at the ocean floor. A deep sadness washed over him knowing what was down there. A hard jab woke him from his memories and, annoyed, turned to his partner. Jack was pointing up. Geoff glanced upward and immediately understood what Jack was trying to tell him. The underwater lights to the Palatka were off. They could barely make out the black silhouette of the yacht against the dark surface of the ocean. And there was another craft alongside the yacht. Someone was aboard the Palatka and undoubtedly Jenny was warning them by shutting down the lamps.

Carmine sat in the main cabin staring at the four people bound, gagged and seated on the deck floor. Standing in the open hatchway, Raf held a rag to the wound on his forehead stemming the bleeding.

"Carmine, let me waste that big son of a bitch," he seethed.

"Back off, Rafael. There will be time enough later. See them yet?"

"Nothin, not even any bubbles. I thought there were supposed to be bubbles."

Carmine shrugged. "They may be using rebreathers."

Jenny's eyes opened when he heard Carmine mention the rebreathers. The man wasn't ignorant and that made him even more dangerous.

"What's a fuckin rebreather?" asked Raf.

Carmine shook his head and pointed outside. "Just keep watch. They have to come up sometime."

"Got it." Raf slipped back out on deck.

Looking at the massive red headed man, Carmine said, "You shouldn't have done that to Raf. He's not so forgiving. How's your shoulder?"

Jenny glared at the thug sitting against the far wall. He was referring to the bullet wound in Jenny's right shoulder. He tried moving his right arm, pain radiating from the wound. He shrugged at the thug.

Carmine laughed. "You're a tough son of a bitch, I'll give you that." He knew they would have to off them all, including the girl. Snuffing children wasn't his thing but they couldn't leave any witnesses. Pauli would do it. For now, they were leverage in case something went wrong with this Geoff McKenzie. The man had already taken out two good men and Carmine wasn't taking any chances.

"Hey, what's that?" Pauli cried out. Raf's voice answered, "I don't know. It's just floating out there. Looks like some kinda long bag."

"Grab that hook; let's see if we can pull it in."

Carmine stood and walked to the stern deck. He could see Raf holding a long pole reaching out for something over the side.

"Come on, Raf...a little father. There, ya almost snagged it," coached Pauli.

Suddenly, with a high pitched scream, Raf vanished over the railing. Pauli yelled and pulled out his pistol. Firing several shots into the water, Pauli ran to the other side.

"Raf, where the fuck are you...Raf?"

Carmine backed into the cabin. This wasn't good. Now, he needed the investments he had sitting on the deck. He moved further into the shadows, waiting in the hatchway to below decks.

"Raf!" Pauli was still yelling for his missing partner. The moment Raf hit the water; he disappeared beneath the sea and didn't come back up. Pauli stared hard at the dark waters as a large shape exploded from below. Screaming, the little man pumped several rounds into the dark mass before it settled back to float on the water's surface.

Pointing a flashlight at the object, Pauli gasped. "Raf!" Enraged, he began firing rounds into the water surrounding his former friend. The slide slid back and froze...the gun empty. Dropping the empty clip, he reached into his pocket for a full magazine. His fingers grasped the clip but his hand caught in the pocket, held in place by another's grasp. A gurgling sound erupted as Pauli pressed his free hand against his throat, a crimson mist spraying outward between his fingers. Geoff quickly backed away into the shadows, a bloody knife in his right hand.

Carmine heard the deafening roar of the silence. He knew Raf and Pauli were gone. He waited with the darkness, the Beretta 9mm firmly in his hand.

"McKenzie! I know you're out there. I have your friends in here. I've got your daughter with me. Let's talk and work something out."

"So talk."

The voice carried over the deck into the cabin. It had a hard edge to it. Whoever it belonged to wasn't much for bargaining.

"Look, this was nothing personal. Armestead hired us to take you out. The guy's a liability and you can have him. Let me go and I won't harm the hostages. I give you my word."

"What about your men?"

"Hey, part of the job. I'll tell my boss Armestead caused their deaths."

"Who's your boss?"

"Michael Provinzano."

"Provinzano out of Detroit?"

"The same."

"Why would Provinzano be involved in Moon Key Bay?"

Carmine could hear the interest in the deadly voice. "He's not. But, his old man owed the Armestead a favor. Michael felt obligated. He didn't trust the Armesteads but loaned a couple of his men to Armestead for protection. When they turned up missing, he sent us down here to find out what happened. I'm guessing you're what happened."

"Yeah, I'm what happened." Carmine knew there was no room for maneuvering with this guy.

"You know my name, what's yours?"

"Carmine...Carmine Scoccio."

"I've heard of you."

This surprised Carmine. Not many knew who he was or what he did.

"You're the mobs best hit man. Guess I should feel flattered they'd send a big gun like you after me."

Geoff turned and spied Jack slipping down the forward hatch.

"Tell me Carmine...where you going to take us all out? Women and children included?"

Fuck, thought Carmine. "Yes...nothing personal."

"Sure, nothing personal. You know Mardigan and Satch out of Miami."

"Genovese family, said Carmine," not sure where this was going.

"Yes, Genovese. Satch to his friends, Salvatore Genovese to others, and his partner Danny Mardigan. When you get back, I'm sorry...I mean, if you get back, you can ask your boss to ask Satch about me. I think he'll be surprised."

Carmine understood. This guy had connections. What the hell was Provinzano thinking?

"Okay, maybe we..." He stopped mid sentence when he heard the distinct metallic click of a cocked hammer.

"Real easy friend, drop the gun or you won't have to worry about what Provinzano thinks." Jack's voice echoed from the darkness of the lower deck, a Smith & Wesson .357 magnum revolver pointed at the hit man's head.

Carmine realized it was finished. He let the gun fall to the deck and stood up. Jack remained where he was but Geoff peered around the entrance. Armed only with a knife, he gestured for Carmine to turn around. Carmine knew the procedure and, holding his arms straight out, he turned.

Jack moved out of the shadows, the canon pointed directly at the man's head. Carmine's arms were forced behind him and tied together by what felt like nylon cord. Once tied, Geoff pat searched the hood before he called Jack.

"Come on in. He's secured."

As Jack stepped into the room, Geoff first untied Becky and then her mother, Sarah. While Sarah removed Terry's binding, Geoff cut the plastic zip ties from Jenny's wrists.

"Had an accident did ya, big guy?"

Jenny looked down before he said, "It was the little guy. While I was wrestling with that big one, that little pip squeak cold-cocked me with his pistol then shot me. Bled like a stuck pig. Where is that little asshole?"

muirmadra
muirmadra
543 Followers