The Road Not Chosen

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
woodmanone
woodmanone
2,294 Followers

At Ellis they were ushered into a large warehouse type of a building to begin the process of entering the United States. The group of over 300 people was directed to areas that had large letters in alphabetical order hanging from the ceiling. Following instructions given by men in uniform, the immigrants line up under the first letter of their last name.

********************

"Name?" The officious looking man behind the counter asked in a bored voice.

"Rosie, I mean, Margaret Rose Smyth." She had become used to the name Sean had given her and had to switch back to thinking of herself as Margaret. It had taken Rosie over five hours to get to this point in the process. She had undergone a physical examination, another exam into her mental state and questioning about her destination within the United States. Letters from her aunt, her father, and from Reverend Jacobs back in England vouched that Rosie would have a home to go to.

The Immigration Officer looked up when he heard the young girl's voice. His face softened from the stern look it had held before. My Molly is about the same age as this one, he thought.

"Where is the rest of your family Miss Smyth?"

"I'm traveling alone sir," Rosie answered. "My father is in the Army and was posted to South Africa. So I came to America to live with my Aunt.

"What is your aunt's name? Is she here to meet you?" The officer's thoughts echoed those of Sean Riley's. What kind of father would send his daughter on this long voyage by herself, he asked silently.

"Mildred Rollins is my aunt, she lives in a city called Peoria in the Providence of Illinois," Rosie replied to the question. "My father told me to take a train to Chicago and then another one to Peoria. She will meet me at the train station."

The officer smiled and said, "That's the state of Illinois. We call them states over here." After checking her birth certificate and the letters in her possession he spent several minutes writing. When he finished he handed Rosie some official looking papers with a government seal stamped on them and several signatures.

"Those are your entry approval papers Miss Smyth. Keep them safe and don't lose them," he suggested. He turned and yelled over his shoulder at another officer. "Jim, cover for me will ya. I'm gonna take my lunch break."

"Sure thing Don."

"I'm Donald Kelly," the officer said as he came around the counter. "I have a daughter about your age. Why don't you come with me and I'll show you which ferry to take back to the city." Outside Donald walked Rosie to an area where ferries waited. "Take one of these across the harbor; there's no charge back to the city. It will let you off at Pier 39. From there take the Red Line trolley."

Don looked at Rosie to make sure she understood so far. "You'll need to go to Penn Station. Asked the conductor and he will show you where to transfer to the Penn Station trolley. At Penn Station ask any of the ticket clerks which train to take to Chicago. Understand Margaret?"

"Yes I do Mr. Kelly," Rosie answered. "Thank you for your help."

"Do you have money for the trolleys and a train ticket?"

"Yes sir." She pulled out her folded leather wallet and showed him her money. "My father gave me $50 in American money."

"Put that away girl," Don ordered looking around to see if anyone had noticed. He reached into his vest and pulled out a cloth bag with a drawstring that contained his smoking tobacco. Don emptied the tobacco on the ground, put a few coins into the bag, and pulled the string tight.

"The Red Line will cost 10 cents and another 5 cents for the transfer to the Penn line. I put that and a little more in the bag," Don said with a smile. "Keep your money on your person so pickpockets and thieves can't get to it.

He kneeled down to Rosie's level. "It's a brave lassie you are Margaret Rose. Good luck to ya." With that Don turned and went back to the processing center. Hope she makes it okay, he wished.

Rosie watched Kelly walk away for a few seconds and then turned and boarded the ferry that would take her to her new life.

Arriving at the dock back across the harbor Rosie showed her papers to a guard at the gate and entered New York City. There were a few carts along the walkway that sold food. She stopped at one and paid 10 cents for two meat filled pastries called knishes. Rosie walked as she ate. Those are very good, she thought as she finished the second one. Of course I was so hungry that almost anything would have tasted good.

Rosie saw a sign that read "Red Line Trolley" and stood under the sign waiting. Shortly a horse drawn trolley pulled to a stop in front of her. She boarded, paid the fare, and asked for a transfer as Mr. Kelly told her.

"Will you please tell me where to get off to catch the Penn Station trolley?" She asked the conductor.

"Now sure I will, young Miss," he replied. "Going on a train trip are you?"

"Yes sir. I have to go to Chicago and then on to Peoria to live with my Aunt."

"It's young you are for takin such a long trip on your own."

"Yes sir, but I have to do it." Rosie had a determined look in her eye.

"Well lass, just sit here in my place," the conductor said offering her his seat behind the driver. "I'll not let you miss your stop."

The conductor motioned for Rosie about 20 minutes later. "This is your stop Lass. Right over there," he pointed to a waiting area and sign in the middle of the street, "is where you take the Penn Station trolley. Just hand them that transfer as you board and it'll take you to your train as quick as you please."

"Thank you sir." Rosie waved goodbye and walked to the waiting area.

"Good luck to you Lass," the conductor said as she left. I'd not want to get in that one's way even though she's just a child, he thought as his trolley pulled away. She'd run over you like a runaway freight train is my thinking.

Rosie again asked for help from the conductor on the Penn Station trolley. He promised to make sure she got off at Penn Station. Riding the Red Line and now Penn Station trolley, Rosie couldn't believe the tall buildings and the number of people she saw on the streets. The city was all hustle and bustle like nothing she'd ever seen. Bristol had been all hurry and running around but it didn't have the tall buildings.

She was staring at a huge building with "Museum of Natural History" carved into the stone over the door. That's the biggest building I've ever seen, she said quietly to herself. There are others around here that are taller but that one covers a very large piece of ground. As she looked back into the trolley, two boys sat down in front of her.

"First time in the big city?" One of the boys asked and the other one giggled. The two boys were dressed in torn and dirty clothes. They had smudges of dirt on their faces and hands.

Rosie turned away and didn't look at them.

"What you got in those suitcases girly? Maybe something you'd like to share with us now."

"Leave me alone please," Rosie said.

One of the boys reached for her suitcase but before he could put his hands on it the conductor grabbed him by the scruff of the neck. He grabbed the other boy's shirt front and forced them both to the door. Not waiting for the driver to slow down the conductor threw the two ruffians off the trolley. Rosie saw them tumbling and rolling along the ground for several yards.

"I hope they broke their bloody necks," Rosie's rescuer said. Turning to her he said, "They'll not bother you again Miss. Not on my trolley they won't.

The trolley soon began to slow down and finally stopped in front of another huge building. "Here's your stop young lady. Step lively now, we have a schedule to keep," the man said as he helped her with her suitcases.

"Thank you for helping me," Rosie said. The conductor tipped his hat, the trolley moved away and Rosie continued on her journey.

********************

Rosie entered Penn Station and stopped inside the entryway. She had never seen such a big open space in her life. The processing center on Ellis Island had been big, she thought. But you could put that room and half of another one in the great room of the train station. After a few minutes staring she found signs showing the arrival and departures of the trains. She found the notation for the next train to Chicago.

Walking to a ticket window she asked, "How much is a ticket on the Chicago Limited leaving in one hour?"

"$10 dollars little Miss," the woman clerk replied.

Rosie nodded and left. She made her way to the restroom and in the privacy of a stall opened her clothes to extract the wallet from its hiding place under the waist of her bloomers, took out $12 and returned the wallet. Rosie buttoned her clothes and went back to the ticket window.

"The Chicago Limited please," she requested and handed the clerk $10. Receiving her ticket she asked, "Is there someplace I might get a bite to eat ma'am?"

"There are food carts and shops along the passageway to the tracks," the clerk answered.

Rosie decided to return to the restroom, clean up as best she could, and put on fresh clothes. She hadn't had a bath for two days and she'd had her clothes on since the previous night. Rosie washed herself and looked for something clean to wear.

Cleaner at least and feeling better she lugged her suitcases with her and went down the passageway toward the train platform. She saw a man selling freshly made sandwiches from a push cart. His sign proclaimed "New York's Finest Hoagies $1". Rosie thought it was a princely sum for some bread and filling until she watched him make one for a customer. The sandwich was of monstrous size. It was a small loaf of bread about 12 inches long sliced long ways and spilt open. It was filled with three different meats, two kinds of cheese, onions and peppers.

Rosie bought one of the "Hoagies" and sat on a nearby bench to eat it. She was only able to eat about a third of it and wrapped the rest in the waxed paper it had come in. Rosie put what would be two more meals in her night case and waited for the Chicago Limited to board.

About an hour later the conductor called for passengers to board the Limited. I'll "stake out" this seat, as Sean says, Rosie thought remembering her traveling companions of the ship. The two person bench type seat she chose was at the back of the car facing forward and by a window. Rosie placed her suitcases and night case against the wall below the window and sat next to them.

A short time later the conductor came through the cars taking tickets. "How far is it to Chicago sir?" Rosie asked as she handed him her ticket.

"Name's Sweeny young lady. It's close to 800 miles," he replied. "792 miles to be exact." Seeing the confused look on Rosie's face he asked, "You're British right? I can tell by your accent." Rosie nodded. "Then you use kilometers I guess. Let's see I've got some notes here in my book somewhere."

He leafed through a notebook he took from his coat pocket. "Ah, here we are. A kilometer is approximately 1 1/2 miles." Sweeny took a stub of a pencil, found a blank page and begin to calculate. "792 times 1 1/2 is..."

"1274 and a half kilometers," Rosie said.

Sweeny looked at the young girl. He finished his own hand written calculations. "That's exactly right, Miss," he said amazed that the young girl did the figuring in her head. "That's pretty good young lady," he said smiling. "If I need anything else figured out on this run, I'll come to you. What's your name?"

"Rosie Smyth," she answered. "If you don't mind another question, how long will it take. I have to get on another train to Peoria, Illinois."

"We'll arrive tomorrow afternoon at 1 PM, assuming we don't get held up along the way. Take us about 25 hours." Sweeny took the ticket from a couple across the aisle and turned back to Rosie. "The Limited will average 35 miles per hour, what with stops for coal, water, and picking up passengers and freight. In between stops we'll get up to 50 mph."

Rosie concentrated for a few seconds. "Average speed of 56 kilometers an hour. That's very fast."

"Not really," Sweeny said. "I made a nonstop run from New York to St. Louis on an express once where we average almost 60mph. Now that was a trip I tell you." Sweeny laughed at himself. "But you're not interested in that. We'll stop three times between here and Chicago and be at each stop about an hour. That'll give you and the other passengers a chance to stretch your legs, excuse me Rosie, your limbs and maybe use the facilities. But we'll have you in Chicago in plenty of time to catch your train. Never you worry about that."

He started toward the next car but turned back. "If you need anything Miss, just whistle and I'll come a running."

Rosie felt the train jerk, once and then again. The train started to move taking her on this leg of her journey. When she had boarded the Empress of India she had been sad and a little afraid. At the start of this part of her trek she was excited. Rosie looked forward to meeting her Aunt Mildred for the first time.

As the Chicago Limited made its way west through the city the height of the buildings decreased the farther they traveled from the heart of New York. Soon the train began to pass small towns, villages, and came to the farms. It was one great expanse of land stretching from horizon to horizon.

Once in the countryside she began to realize the expanse of the new country. To her the farms seem to be very large and the distance between towns was immense. The train slowed as it made its way over hills and mountains covered in trees and would speed up in the valleys in between.

It's 1274 kilometers to Chicago, she thought. I remember from school that Great Britain is only 550 kilometers from north to south; if you add in Scotland it's still less than a 1000 kilometers. This is a big country and I haven't seen half of it.

After leaving the city the Limited traveled passed farms and small towns and Rosie was almost awe struck.

"Sure is pretty country," Sweeny said stopping beside Rosie on his way to the front of the line of passenger cars.

"Yes sir. I can't believe how big it is," Rosie said.

Sweeny smiled at the young girl. "You act and talk older than 12 Miss Rosie. That's meant as a compliment."

"Thank you Mr. Sweeny. I guess I've had to grow up faster than other girls."

"Oh, why is that?" The conductor asked.

Rosie explained how she'd had to live with different relatives for the last 4 years while her father was serving in the Army. She told him about moving from one household to another and the infrequent visits from her father.

"Now I'm going to live with another relative. I hope it's the last move I have to make," Rosie finished.

"I hope so too," Sweeny said. "I'll say a prayer for you at church this Sunday." He hesitated for a second and then reached out and patted her on the shoulder. He cleared his throat and said, "It's back to work for me."

The train stopped just before sundown and took on coal, water, and passengers. Then with a great blowing of its steam whistle, the Limited headed west through the dark night. The train stopped once again just at dawn and then began the final run into Chicago.

"Makin the turn around the lake," Sweeny said. "I keep forgettin you're not from around here. That's Lake Michigan I'm talking about."

"One of the Great Lakes," Rosie replied. "We studied them in geography class.

"We'll be passing Lake Michigan on the north there but you'll get a better view as we get closer to Chicago," Sweeny told her. After a few seconds he asked, "So what do you think of America so far?"

"It's so big. Much bigger than England." Rosie looked out the window for several seconds. "And I like the weather, it's bright and sunny. Back home we have rain or mist about four days a week."

The train whistle made one long blast followed by two shorter ones. "Got to go back to work," Sweeny said. "Good luck to you Rosie." He turned and walked away. In a loud voice he called out, "Chicago, Chicago is the next stop."

The Limited huffed and puffed and shuddered to a stop at the Dearborn Station. A porter came to Rosie before the train had quit moving. "Mr. Sweeny sent me to help with your luggage Miss," he said. "Is this all your belongings?" At Rosie's nod he picked up her suitcases and said, "Follow me Miss."

He led Rosie out of the railcar and onto the platform. Pointing at the depot he said, "You can get your ticket for Peoria right in there."

Rosie knew she should tip the porter for helping her and reached for the drawstring bag of coins that Kelly had given her back in New York.

The porter held up his hand to stop her. "No need Miss. Mr. Sweeny took care of me." He bowed and walked away.

Rosie smiled and thought, I've been very lucky on this trip. First Sean, Jamie, and Mum on the ship and then Mr. Kelly in New York. And now Mr. Sweeny. If all the people in America are like them it will be a wonderful place to live. She picked up her suitcases and walked to the depot.

********************

Rosie saw the ticket counter across the great hall of Dearborn Station. Using the same tactics that she had in Chicago she asked the price of a ticket to Peoria. Then she went to the restroom and got the money from her hidden wallet.

She returned to the ticket counter. "A ticket to Peoria please."

"Which train?" The ticket agent asked.

"I don't understand. What do you mean which train?"

"There's one leaving in 30 minutes that arrives in Peoria at 5 PM. Another train leaves at 4 that will get into Peoria at 8:30. Which one do you want?"

"The first one please," Rosie answered and paid for the ticket.

"Best hurry Miss. The Peoria Express is already boarding and they'll leave as soon as possible." As Rosie hurried to the boarding platform the agent watched her go. "A very confident young lady that one is," he said. "Next," he called out.

Rosie boarded the train and barely had time to find an empty seat before she felt it jerk and start to move. Once again she put her belongings on the seat next to the window.

"Just in time aren't you? Ticket please."

Rosie looked up and saw the conductor smiling at her. "Yes sir." She handed him her ticket and when it was returned she turned to watch Chicago speed passed.

"First time riding with us Miss?"

"Yes sir. I'm from England and I'm going to meet my Aunt Mildred in Peoria."

"Well now, a visitor from across the Atlantic. Welcome to America. I'm Ted Collins, your conductor. If I can be of any help please call on me." Collins made sort of a half bow and continued through the passenger cars collecting tickets.

The Peoria Express huffed and puffed its way through Chicago and turned southwest toward Peoria. They began to pass farms and small villages. The farms were freshly planted and the crops had just started to poke their heads above the soil. Rose was again amazed at the scope and size of this country. She watched for a few minutes but her tiring day caught up with her. She leaned against her suitcases, her eyes closed, and the rhythm of the big wheels on the track put her to sleep.

Collins walked by the sleeping Rosie and smiled. "Our bold traveler is all tuckered out," he whispered.

Almost four hours later Collins gently shook Rosie's shoulder. "Miss time to rise and shine. We're coming into Peoria," he said in a soft voice.

Rosie gave him a sleepy smile and stretched. She rubbed the sleep from her eyes and looked out the window. Peoria wasn't as large as the huge New York City or Chicago but it was still the biggest city she'd ever seen except for London.

The Express slowed and finally stopped. Rosie gathered her things and stepped down onto the platform. River Station read the large sign over the door of the depot. She entered the depot and looked for a woman that might be her aunt. Rosie walked over to the ticket agent.

woodmanone
woodmanone
2,294 Followers