The Secret Life of Timothy Smith

Story Info
With respects to James Thurber.
4.1k words
3.07
14.6k
2
0
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

With respects to James Thurber

There is no sex in this story

--------------------------------------------------

Administrative/personal notes. Real life has interfered with my writing. Both job and some family medical issues have been ganging up on me. You would think that a doctor's waiting room would be a good place to write on your lap top but you would be wrong. Frankly I hate doctor's waiting rooms-too many sick people hanging out there and you really do not know what they have. However people are feeling better and work has sort of settled down so I'm back to writing if you can call it that and I know some of you don't judging by some of the responses I get....so I haven't quit my day job.

A part two to A Change in the Status Quo is in progress. I still having trouble getting my square peg of an ending to fit but I am gradually getting the edges ground down to fit in the round hole. I am not going to force it so it will not be soon. It will not be in the same direction as Northlander took it in his version rest assured.

Others have request more to my version of JPB's The Coward. I am considering giving that a shot

--------------------------------------------------

Tim looked at the bloody, bruised and broken form that lay curled in a fetal position groaning at his feet. The body leaving blood stains in the carpet belonged to his wife's lover, Travis Steel. Tim had confronted Travis and his wife in at the motel where he had planned to have them served with the paper work for divorce and an alienation of affection lawsuit. Actually there were two sets of divorce papers as Travis's wife was there to have him served also

Travis was a wealthy, arrogant, big man on campus type. An ex-jock at 6 feet 4 inches 250lbs with not a lot of fat; he towered over Tim. He was angry at Tim for interrupting him. Tim's wife, Cynthia had sat on the bed with a smirk on her face as Travis launched himself at Tim. Compared to Travis her husband looked small and his normally mild manner reinforced her growing opinion that he was a wimp. It was about time he learned who ruled the roost she thought at the time. Now Cynthia sat on the bed in shock as her wimp husband had thoroughly beaten Travis without breaking a sweat.

What Cynthia didn't know about her husband, and what very few others knew, was that Tim was an ex Navy SEAL who had conducted may covert operations for the US government. He could have just as easily crippled or killed Travis instead of leaving him with a broken nose, the loss of his two front teeth, a pair of black eyes, cracked ribs, a broken wrist and a well place kick to the groin.

Tim's service in the SEALs forged a brotherhood with his fellow SEALS many who owed him their lives after many difficult missions. One such brother had became extremely wealthy. He was more than willing to bankroll Tim's operation to gather information and get revenge on his cheating wife and her lover. Others worked in high levels of the intelligence community. Through them he was even able to get high resolution of satellite and drone photos of Cynthia and Travis going at it in the Steel's backyard by their pool. Others obtained all the personal information Tim needed to financially take control of Travis' business and ruin him; something Travis would find out about when he left the hospital. Tim did not even have to worry about and assault charge as, unnoticed by Travis and Cynthia, Travis' wife and the process server were standing at the door and witnessed Tim defending himself.

With the evidence he had Tim was sure Cynthia would agree to whatever divorce terms Tim demanded. He would leave her with her clothes and custody of their children. She had managed to turn them again him and they would prefer to stay with her anyway he was sure. He would pay a fair amount in child support but nothing more. She could go live with her parents for all he cared as they had never liked him and her mom always talked about who she could have married.

There was the sound of air being released and the squeak of a door being opened. He squeezed aboard the already packed bus to begin the first stage of his two hour commute home. His slight 5' 6" frame only made things worse as he lacked the bulk to force himself into a more comfortable position and others, perhaps subconsciously or perhaps not, looked at his small frame as a signal to crowd in closer taking more of his space for themselves. Oh the joys of mass transit he thought. Crowed into metal container with a bunch of other people many of questionable hygiene practices and mental stability, your scheduled tied to that of the transit system. He had found this job after being a victim of downsizing at his last place of employment. He could not afford to move and needed the job so he had the up to 2 hour long commute.

Fifteen minutes on the bus got him to the train station. He was one of the first on the train and managed to grab a seat. Unfortunately one of the increasing numbers of obese Americans sat next to him, almost on top of him, squeezing him over toward the window. He began to regret not choosing the standing room only option of the club car. At least then he could ease his misery with booze. He leaned his head against the window. He felt the lurch as the train lurch as it started forward and soon there was the rhythmic clack-clack as it gained speed. He was oblivious to the passing scenery or the streaks of water on the window as it started to rain.

It had been too easy really, disposing of his cheating wife and her lover Tim thought. Maybe if she knew more about his extended family and his hidden wealth she would have began treating him with such contempt and started having an affair. Truth to be told she was never interested in his friends or family only the pay check he brought home. Perhaps disposing of was too harsh a term as their disappearance was only temporary. It went down smoothly as his wife and her lover did not pay any attention to who was in the adjoining motel room.

Tim's family connections were pros and with commando like precision they burst into the cheaters room through the adjoining door. His wife Cynthia and her lover Travis were drugged before they could react. The quick acting drug had both asleep in seconds. The men took Cynthia and Travis's naked bodies through the adjoining door into the next room and dumped each of them into a motel laundry cart. Two woman dressed as motel cleaning staff then exited the room 10 minutes apart taking the carts with them. The carts were then loaded into a laundry service truck.

Meanwhile the men stayed behind and sanitized the cheaters room taking everything with them to make it appear the loves had left. They even left the motel key card on the table in the room. A couple looking like Travis and Cynthia then exited the room got into Travis' car and drove it to the airport. They left it in the long term parking lot. Using Cynthia's and Travis' identification they boarded a plane for Mexico. Overall it was a very well conducted operation even the motel security cameras were aimed so as not to cover the two rooms and cars parked out front of them.

Tim continued with his daily routine for a couple of weeks. He had filed a missing persons report and the police with normal civil servant efficiency had conclude that Cynthia had run off to Mexico with her lover Travis although the American Embassy in Mexico had not been able to get in contact with them. The police also could not explain why Travis would leave his business and other assets and figured the cheaters would return in time.

Cynthia's parents were insisted that Cynthia would not abandon her children but could not come up with any other explanation when confronted with the evidence of her affair. They shared Cynthia and the children's dislike of Tim but could not imagine how wimp him could have done anything to Cynthia. Realizing he could never have a good relationship with the kids as Cynthia had turned them against him so effectively he allowed her parents to assume custody a month later. At the same time Tim also quit his job and went to work for his Uncle Tony looking after the family's business interests in the Caribbean. Uncle Tony paid well so Tim still did not have to touch his trust fund. With no wife or kids he felt he had no reason not to go into the family's businesses.

As Tim relaxed on a Caribbean beach all was not well for Cynthia and Travis. When they were disposed of they were not killed. They woke up two days later on fish processing factory ship. When they demanded to be put ashore both were shown the contracts they had signed to work on the ship and at any rate the ship would not put into port for two months. It was strongly hinted that if they did not want to end up as bait they should fulfill their contract. So Cynthia and Travis began two solid months of taking care of the most menial disgusting tasks aboard ship despite their protests that they never signed any contracts and were shanghaied. For those two months they racked their brains wondering which of Travis' enemies could have set them up like this. They never considered in might be the wimp husband of Cynthia's.

The sound of screeching train wheels announced his arrival at the station. He roused himself and exited the train and walked in the light drizzle to his car. The weather matched his mood perfectly as he got into his 2 door econobox with 250K miles on it. The light rain had turned normally sane drivers into idiots and more than a couple of fender benders along with the never ending road construction had added to his delay in getting home not that it bothered him that much. There had not been much motivation to hurry home for quite some time.

While stuck in traffic he listened to talk radio. The current topic was how the recession was forcing couples to stay together because they could not afford the divorce-A cheaper to keep them situation. It was a situation of which he was fully aware.

Tim thought about how much his life had changed in the two years. He had come home from work one day to find his wife had left him for her lover. She did not ask for much except for some personal items and clothing. She did max out the credit cards and emptied the saving account but he suspect that was out of spite as Travis was rich and could afford to keep inn a lifestyle she deserved according to her. Oh and the kids decided to go with her to live with their "new rich daddy". The months leading up to the divorce being final were tough. Even if the companionship was disagreeable if not outright hostile it was hard getting use to coming home to an empty house but he gradually adjusted. Tim had come to realize that there had been no love between him and Cynthia for a long time but he at times he wondered what he did to turn her so hostile to him and to even turn the kids against him. Or maybe it was something about him that caused his kids to dislike him without their mother's help.

Tim worked hard to pay off the bills his ex had stuck him with subsisting on a lot of PBJ sandwiches and Ramen soup while his former wife and kids lived in the lap of luxury. Travis'wife had signed a prenup that clearly defined who got what no matter the reason for the divorce so Travis was not hurt too bad and was able to keep my wife in a life style she thought she deserved. Travis and Cynthia married three days after the divorce was final. How things had changed.

Tim musings were interrupted by his wife asking him what he was thinking about. He and his wife were seated at one of the most exclusive restaurants in town. The waiter had left giving them time to look over the menu. She knew him better than he knew himself. It was as if he could read his expressions or his eyes. Never had he felt so in sync with someone. He hoped she felt the same way. Tim replied to her question "Oh just about how lucky I am to have you."

Tim's wife Keyra was a onetime super model turned pediatric heart surgeon practicing at one of the nation's most prestigious hospitals. She still occasionally modeled but the income went to their favorite charities. Her modeling, like her pediatric work, were not necessary as she was worth millions. Most of the surgeries she performed were done without charge for charity cases.

Keyra was always in the top 5 of various men's magazines 100 sexist women lists every year despite never having posed nude. Keyra simply oozed beauty, class, sex a appeal and intelligence. It was factually stated that she even made Marines field uniform look sexy. The proof was pictures of her in a combat uniform with protective vest and helmet that she wore during her USO tour of the Middle East. She made even that look sexy.

Tim and Keyra would have never met under normal circumstances so quite naturally it took unusual circumstances. One evening while driving home Tim witnessed an auto accident and while others stood around taking pictures and recording the incident on their smart phones he rushed to the smoldering vehicle and pulled her from it just before it exploded into a fiery mushroom cloud.

Tim had some brief notoriety when video of his heroics was posted on the internet but he shied away from the media and the publicity. Even Keyra's attempts to repay him for saving her life were rebuffed. This only made her more persistent in her attempts to reward her hero. She was use to people doing almost whatever she wanted. Men were always falling all over themselves to please her because of her wealth and beauty but here was a man who risked his life saving her without knowing who she was or what she looked like and now that he knew tried to avoid her.

Tim for his part just wanted to get on with his life, such as it was. Keyra's persistent attempts to reward him were preventing that. To put an end to the phone calls, thank you cards and flowers she kept sending to his office along with having to return the gifts she bought, although he really like the Aston-Martin, he got her to agree to do only one thing for him a call it even. Tim simply wanted a Saturday at the Park. The large city park was surrounded by various museums Art, Natural History, Air and Space , Music even a model train and manufacturing museum admission was free or very nominal fee of a couple of dollars. Tim used to like to take his wife and kids there years ago when they did not have much money, the kids were little and he thought he had a happy family. They would spend the day touring museums and getting hotdogs off the carts for lunch. His family stopped going with him years ago and even after they left him he still went occasionally but going alone was just not the same.

Tim figured that he could accomplish two things with his request. One would be that he would get to have some companion ship for a brief time. The second would be that after having to spend a boring day with a boring individual the supermodel/surgeon would consider her debt paid and they would both get on with their separate lives. Keyra almost backed out of the deal once she found out what he wanted, it did not seem like much but on reflection it did require more effort to her part. It was certainly easy for her to buy him stuff but her time was even more valuable and it would require more effort on her part because it meant ditching her various handlers, hangers on and the media.

They met at the park and both had a very enjoyable day. Tim did let her pay for the hotdogs. They parted as friends Keyra enjoyed herself so much that she arranged more "just friends" dates with Tim. He was hard to convince and was afraid at first that she was just spending time with him out of a sense of obligation or that people would look at him as a gold digger. For her part Keyra really enjoyed their time together. He was so unlike all the other men she had dated. True they were younger and in better shape but what they also had was something she first thought was self confidence but later realized was arrogance. Sure Tim was older and maybe not model material. His mild manner was certainly different but she did not mistake that mild manner for being a wimp; the scars on his back and his neck he received when he rescued her were certainly evidence of that. When Tim looked at her he was not seeing a super model or rich woman buy just Keyra the person. When they talked it was not about who showed up at what party, who had what plastic surgery etc. but about their personal fears and desires, their hopes and dreams. This was stuff she could never talk about with her entourage for fear it would be leaked to the media. Tim did not fawn all over but treated her as a friend and buddy. She found herself calling him from wherever she was just to talk.

It took time but the just friends became much more. There was Tim's reluctance over issues such as her money, their different social circles and his feeling that maybe she just felt indebted to him. Keyra only knew that she had found her soul mate. In time the issues had resolved and they married. They were now having an evening out celebrating Tim's latest promotion at work. Yes, Tim still worked even though with Keyra's wealth he did not have to and she did not even want a prenup. He insisted on both his working and the prenup saying they were necessary for his self esteem.

.... Tim replied to her question "Oh just about how lucky I am to have you." Keyra smile brightly but said "I know better something is bothering you." Tim merely shook his head, there was no fooling her. While they had been at the restaurant one of the busboys had kept glancing over at their table. Tim was use to men staring at Keyra, it took some getting use to but she was so beautiful it was just the price one pays for having such an attractive wife. But then Tim realized the busboy was not staring at Keyra but him. Tim did not return the stare but just occasionally glanced his way. He then hit him that the busboy was his son. Brian still had the excess body weight but his hair was cut , no piercing and he was more nicely dressed; probably as a condition of employment. He wondered if his estrange son recognized him. Keyra had upgraded Tim's wardrobe and made sure to improve his diet and exercise habits so he looked younger. The busboy had just left for the kitchen hen Keyra asked him what was thinking about.

Tim explained about seeing his son working there and she asked what he wanted to do about it. Before he could answer Brian and two women dressed in the restaurant attire for food serves followed him out of the kitchen. They did not come to their section of the restaurant where Tim and Keyra sat but watch them from another section and whispered to each other before the head waiter came over and sent them off to their duties. Time recognized the two women. One was his daughter Stacy absent the purple hair and piercings and the other was his ex-wife Cynthia, more than few pounds heavier. It would seem that things with Travis had not gone all that well. He had read somewhere that Travis' business had suffered during the recession but he was not aware how badly.

A car horn roused him from his thoughts as traffic began to move. It was dark when he finally got home with the rain alternating between light mist and a drizzle. He suppressed a desire to cuss as he saw that nobody had bothered to take in the trash cans and he knew nobody could be bothered to make the difficult trek of 50 feet from the front door to the mail box so after placing the trash cans in their HOA designated location he retrieved the mail. Four people lived in the house yet the only one with a job is stuck dealing with the mail and trash cans. He just shook his head. He entered his home and there was no greetings just the sound of the TV going in the den.

He looked through the mail, with the normal bills there was a warning from the Commissars over at the HOA about the leaves collecting along the front of the house and in their driveway. He walked in the den placing the mail on his desk and then drudged into the kitchen to be greeted by a sink full of dishes. Weariness and frustration winning out over hunger he climbed the stairs to his bedroom. He passed the kid's bedrooms noticing that both kids were gone. Entering the master bedroom he found his wife getting dressed up.

12