The Storytellers Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Arthur seemed to warm to answering the question and continued. "In the 4th century BC, by your calendar, the Greek philosopher, Plato named the one thing that makes people discover new things. He said that, "Necessity is the mother of invention." But even before people could realize what Plato was saying, their needs caused them to look around and invent tools to help themselves.

"I personally had several discussions with one of Plato's contemporaries, a man named Archimedes, a very bright mathematician from ancient Greece. He discovered the relation between the surface and volume of a sphere and its circumscribing cylinder. This, of course, was none other than pi. I helped him see the possibilities, and he went on to formulate a hydrostatic principle based on that mathematical relationship called Archimedes' principle. He invented the Archimedes screw - a screw-shaped machine or hydraulic screw that raised water from a lower to a higher level.

Archimedes also invented the catapult, the lever, the compound pulley, and the burning mirror (a system of mirrors that burned the boots and ships of invading armies by focusing the sun's rays). Although Archimedes is credited with inventing the screw in the 3rd century BC, his screw was not like today's screw fastener, but actually two other screw-type devices."

"I'm impressed," I said, "and on behalf of mankind I would like to express our appreciation to you and yours."

Arthur went on as if he hadn't heard me. But of course, he had.

"Now the earliest dated printed book known to you is called the "Diamond Sutra", printed in China in 868 CE. However, suspicions that book printing might well have occurred long before may someday be proven correct. A man named Wu saved two of my comrades from a saber-toothed tiger. When asked what we might do to repay his kindness, he only asked that we assist him with a problem he was working on at the time. That was a means of using the characters of type he had carved from lava rock so they might tell a story, or legend as was the case during those years. We were delighted to help him out. Unfortunately, nothing came of it until about 200 years later, when a movable clay type was invented . . . again, in China.

"Much, much later, and we had nothing to do with this, Gutenberg, a goldsmith and businessman from the mining town of Mainz in southern Germany, borrowed money to help him invent a technology that changed the world of printing. Gutenberg invented the printing press with replaceable/moveable wooden or metal letters in 1436, and perfected the process in 1440. This method of printing can be credited not only for a revolution in the production of books, but also for fostering rapid development in the sciences, arts and religion through the transmission of texts by lowering the cost of printed material, making it available to the masses."

Winking at me, Arthur asked, "Is that enough for you?"

"Yes, yes, it certainly is."

"Now, Roy, I've touched on several things in the last few minutes. But what I want to know is how I can repay you for the kindness you've shown me. I would also add, saving this miserable creature's hide as well."

"I. . . I don't know. . ." My reporter's skills came to the fore, and I turned the question around, saying: "Let me ask you, what I should ask for?"

Arthur tested me by asking, "Unparalleled wealth, or knowledge?"

"I'm not really that interested in riches," I said, and it was true. "Knowledge, now that's something I cannot dismiss lightly. May I hold that in reserve?"

"Certainly," he replied.

"This may sound silly," I said.

"Go on, Roy."

"Well, the reason I found you in the first place is because I was on my way to Los Angeles to gather material for a novel. I want it to be good. I want it to be very good."

"Yes," Arthur said, gently prompting me to continue.

"But so far my attempts at putting a novel together have eluded me. I mean, I get going, I've actually written several novels, only to have them peter out for. . . well, to be perfectly honest. . . lack of substance."

"And why is that?"

Since Arthur appeared to be sincerely interested, I opened up and related the input received from various editors who had read the material. Arthur listened carefully, nodding his over-sized head with the seasoned skill of a good listener.

"But the subject matter is proving difficult, eh?

"Yes and no. It seems there are too many novels about the war. So I decided to change course and write about a murder that occurred in Los Angles earlier this year. It's known as the Black Dahlia Case. I don't expect you've heard about it."

He didn't answer me immediately, but appeared to give careful consideration to his next words, "You're convinced that you can write a novel, then?"

"Certainly," I replied.

"You wouldn't mind doing some... difficult research?"

"No," I replied, somewhat puzzled over his statement, "not at all, Arthur. I like burying myself in research."

Arthur appeared to be mulling something over in his mind. Of course, he could read mine, but I was not gifted enough to read his.

"Would a true story possibly interest you?"

"I'm all ears."

"No, you're not. You're very evenly proportioned," he said, taking me literally.

"Okay, okay, please get on with the story!"

"Yes, well, it's about a fellow named, well, he's had several names, but his original name was Bill Harbidge."

"Harbidge," I repeated. "I've never heard of him."

"Of course not, but if you choose to write about him, he'll become famous enough."

"Who is he?"

"Ah, now that's the story, Roy, that's the story."

12