The Ties That Bind Us

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Slirpuff
Slirpuff
4,303 Followers

Laura fought to see him before it became final, but Randi said that it was a non-issue with him. He had purchased a two-bedroom condo just off the downtown and had moved on without her.

Evan came around, in time, but they were never as close as they had been before the accident. A year after the divorce became final Randi and her boyfriend became engaged, and Laura found a small one-bedroom condo in the historic section of town. She was back at work and although she didn't have any real money issues the wedding was going to cost more than Laura could afford on my own.

They were having a Sunday dinner, Evan, his wife Kate, Randy, her fiancé Dan, and Laura. They were discussing the wedding and going over the many checklists.

"Here," Evan said as he pushed an envelope towards Randi and his mother. "Dad wanted me to give this to you. He said it should make things a little easier."

Randi opened up the envelope and pulled out a check. It was a check for twenty thousand dollars. The short note enclosed just said, 'My girl deserves the wedding of her dreams.' Randi and Steve had barely talked these past fifteen months. They had more than a few arguments, and he told her that if her mother was going to attend the wedding he wasn't. That was three months ago and they hadn't talked since.

Randi looked at the check in her hand and turned towards her mother. "Maybe this means he's had a change of heart and decided to come." Evan didn't look as optimistic as Randi and Laura. "Mom, even with this, I still think we should keep it small, no use going into debt for a wedding and reception party that no one but a few of us will remember five years down the road."

Randi called to thank her dad, but he didn't answer. She left a message thanking him for his generosity. The message also informed him that her mother would be there to see her daughter married. Randi told her mother he never replied. After leaving her first unanswered message, her subsequent e-mails and calls were never returned either. I guess she got her answer but sent him an invitation anyway.

Evan couldn't or wouldn't tell his mother and sister if Steve was going to show up or not. If he didn't show he was going to walk his sister down the aisle and give her away, and the night of the rehearsal that's how it was practiced.

Randi was beaming but sad all at the same time. She'd hoped against hope that her dad would show but knowing him there wasn't much of a chance.

"Tell him I won't be there," Laura told her daughter. "I've had the fun of planning your wedding and have even seen how it's all going to go down. He's your father; he deserves the right to give you away. It's because of me he's not coming, and I'll never be able to forgive myself if I ruin the most important day of your life," she told her daughter.

"I've gone this far without him a few more steps won't make much difference."

CHAPTER FOUR

From day one, I wasn't going to attend Randi's wedding especially knowing Laura would be there. She'd made a mockery of our marriage, and I hated her with every fiber of my soul. I don't know how many nights I lay awake praying something bad would happen to her or she'd suffer a relapse because of the accident. Even the mere mention of her name would set me off. God, I hated that woman.

It took me six months of therapy and anger management counseling sessions to even get a handle on my emotions when it concerned Laura. I'd hoped that she'd take the high road and skip the wedding after fucking up our happy family. But since Randi had forgiven her and her damn sister, she thought everyone should do the same, not in my book.

Randi had worked on me for months and when she didn't succeed Evan started. When I heard money was getting tight I cashed in a bond or two and sent her enough money to make sure the day would be memorable. When Evan said he was going to walk her down the aisle and give her away I felt an emptiness in my gut. God damn her, when will it ever end? Two days later and a day before the wedding I figured it out; it would never end. Not until either she or I died. For the duration of our life I would have to deal with her for the sake of the kids. Did I still hate her? With a passion but at least now I could control it.

I told no one I was coming. I made sure the tux was perfect and with a new haircut I looked good, better than I had in six months. I parked the car and snuck into the back of the church where Evan was waiting.

"Jesus Christ, Dad, you made it. I'm going to go and tell Randi."

"You'll do no such thing, I want this to be my surprise and a pre-wedding gift to her."

"You know Mom's here, don't you?"

"I'm aware of that. Why don't you go and sit next to her and I'll join you after I give my little girl away." He gave me a big hug and said that he was happy I had come.

Randi looked beautiful, and it made my heart light up to look at her. It took her a minute or two before she noticed me while looking for her brother.

"Dad!" she screamed out and rushed into my outstretched arms kissing me.

"Do you really think I'd miss my own daughter's wedding? What kind of father would I be?" To her, she now had it all. With the music starting we waited our turn to walk as the bridesmaids and flower girl did their thing.

"You ready for this?"

"Dad, I've been ready for this for a long time."

"Well then, let's begin the next chapter in your life." With her arm in mine we walked proudly down the aisle.

None of the guests had any idea that I wasn't going to attend, but the people in the first rows were shocked by my presence including the groom. However, everyone smiled as we made our way up to the altar. I offered my daughter's hand to Dan, and whispered something in his ear, smiled, and sat down next to my son in the first pew. Laura looked at me, smiled, and mouthed, 'thank you', and went back to watching the two of them.

Within twenty minutes it was all over. They were introduced as Mr. and Mrs. Dan and Randi Cooper and strolled up the aisle husband and wife. We headed up the receiving line. I greeted our guests and thanked them for coming. Every once in a while I'd see Laura looking my way. When our eyes met she'd quickly look away.

The reception went on without a hitch. The food was good, the band was a little loud for my taste, but I did dance with my daughter twice and even her new mother-in-law once. She said that she was glad I finally got my head out of my ass, her words not mine.

It was close to eleven o'clock when Laura made her way over and came up behind me. I was just glancing at the people dancing and I guess reminiscing when I heard her voice behind me.

"Thank you for coming, it meant the world to Randi."

"I figured I owed her that much especially for the hard time I'd given her over the last two years. Besides, I do love a party especially when I'm paying for it."

"Just so you know, it was never you, it was all me. You were everything I could have asked for. I'm just sorry I realized it too late."

"It's all in the past .We can't go back and undue what has already been done so I've moved on with my life, and I no longer hate you anymore." I lied big time saying that but did it to be nice.

"Maybe we can have lunch some time and talk? You never gave me the chance to explain." It took every fiber in me not to rip her fucking head off and spit down her neck. What'd she think; we'd now be friends?

"Maybe, but not for a while, besides I'm seeing someone, and I don't think it would be appropriate." Lie number two I said to myself. With that said I went looking for Evan.

I thanked Evan for all the help he gave his sister, kissed his wife, and told her not to let him drink too much. She smiled and said that they'd booked a room at the hotel. I tracked down Randi and Dan and told them I was heading out.

"Dad, I love you so much. I saw you talking to Mom, I'm glad you two finally worked it out." I smiled through my gritted teeth, and told her to have a relaxing and fun honeymoon, and then slipped them ten one hundred dollar bills. A little extra spending money I told them. Two minutes later I was out the door and heading towards my car.

I was glad I decided to go especially after facing my ex-wife and handling myself like a true adult. I'd come a long way and with tonight I had truly closed the final chapter on my marriage. For the first time I felt at peace with myself.

EPILOGUE

In the limo heading towards the airport a giddy Randi was exchanging spit and tongues with her new husband. She was still beaming at how well it had all gone especially with her parents. She felt a bit of pride knowing she'd played a big part in their at least being in the same room.

"It really was nice wasn't it?" She asked Dan kissing him deeply looking into his eyes. "By the way, what did my dad whisper to you up at the altar when he handed me over to you?" she inquired of Dan while sipping on a glass of champagne.

Dan got this look on his face. "He said that if I ever hurt you, he'd hunt me down like a dog, kill me, and eat my fucking heart."

"Well, I think you better heed his wishes. I don't think my dad ever forgets anything," advised a very wise Randi.

Slirpuff
Slirpuff
4,303 Followers