The Trail West Ch. 05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
woodmanone
woodmanone
2,294 Followers

"I'd hate to bet my life on the difference," Red stated. "It'd be a close thing ifin it was for real."

Their first afternoon in Pueblo, Red suggested that he and Josh go to the saloon. "Maybe we can get some idea of what ranches are in the Chico Basin area. No place like a saloon for gossip; men like to talk when they're drinkin."

"You just want an excuse to get a drink and if there's any saloon gals so much the better," Josh laughed at his friend and then got more serious, "You're right though Red, a saloon is a good place to find information. I think I'll take Jerry and get some supplies at the general store. Might find out somethin there too, don't you know."

It was late when Red returned to the barn and climbed up to the hay loft; he had more than one drink but was far from being drunk. Josh and Jerry were asleep on their bedrolls and Red dropped down onto his. I'll tell em what I found out in the mornin he decided. Right now I need some sleep too, he thought.

Red woke to the smell of coffee. He climbed down from the hay loft and found Josh and the owner of the stable talking and drinking coffee together. Josh smiled as Red sort of waddled over to join them; he poured a cup of coffee and handed it to him.

"Late night Red?" Josh asked with a smile and then laughed. "Didn't know you were going to make a night of it."

"I was back by 10," Red defended himself. "But my hard work paid off. I got some good information about the Chico Basin area.

"Well Jerry and I found out some things too, but we didn't have to stay out until 10 to do it."

On the way to get breakfast at the café the three partners shared what they had found out. Red told them that he had met and bought a drink for a wagon driver that delivers freight to a town called Fountain and then on to Colorado City. The driver said that he knew of a ranch in the Chico Basin called the S Bar S and one in Fountain Valley named the Maggie M; he'd heard tell that both of them needed hands.

Jerry told Red what he and Josh had found out from James Mitchell, the owner of the mercantile. Seems the S Bar S was looking for a horse trainer. Mitchell's brother ran the general store in Fountain and the owner of that ranch, a Mr. Sanders, had mentioned that he needed a horse trainer.

As they finished their food Josh said, "Well we might just have found a place to work boys. Let's get on the trail at day break. Maybe between the two places we can all find work."

They planned to go back to the stables and check over their gear and horses before hitting the trail the next day. As they curried and combed their mounts Josh just had to tease Red a little. "Did you meet anybody interesting besides that teamster Red? Like maybe a pretty gal; I can't picture you talking to an ugly wagon driver all that time."

"Well, there was this one little filly that I did spend some time with, in fact she's the one that introduced me to the teamster so I bought her a drink or two. But when I finished talking to him I looked for her and she was already with another drover." Red chuckled at himself. "Lost my chance there I did, by doing what I'd gone into the saloon to do."

The next morning the three partners and their caravan of horses were on the way to Fountain. They wanted to talk to the owner of the general store to check on the possible jobs and get directions to the S Bar S and the Maggie M. Josh led them along the trail and continued until just before dusk; by riding from sun up to sun down now they would get to Fountain early the next day.

At midday they rode into Fountain and after watering their horses they hitched them in front of the store and all three headed inside. Josh stepped through the door, moved to the side, pulling Jerry with him and stopped; Red stepped to the other side of the door. Josh and Red both made a habit of scouting any area they entered; being aware of their surroundings had proved helpful more than once in the past.

Josh saw a man behind a counter getting stick candy for a boy of 12 or 13 and two young women being helped by an older woman, probably the owner's wife he thought. Red saw the young women too; smiling at Josh he began to amble toward the ladies. Josh had to chuckle at his friend's actions. He tapped Jerry on the shoulder and walked toward the man behind the counter. As they got closer Jerry became interested in the display of penny candies; this caused Josh to chuckle again. He sometimes forgot that Jerry was just a 15 year old boy himself.

The man behind the counter finished helping the boy and turned to Josh and Jerry. "Howdy boys, name's Steve Mitchell. This is my store, can I help you?"

Josh gave the man a list of supplies that he needed; things like coffee, beans, bacon, a little sugar and a few pieces of stick candy for Jerry. The boy smiled his thanks at Josh. As Mitchell filled the order Josh told him about meeting his brother in Pueblo. "He said that he heard that the S Bar S and another place was hiring. You know anything about that, Mr. Mitchell?"

"Bill Sanders, the owner of the S Bar S, told me about ten days ago he was lookin for someone to train some rough horses that he owns. Seems like none of his hands can do any good with the animals and he's got a lot of money invested in them."

Josh smiled as he paid for the supplies and said, "Now ain't it just lucky for Mr. Sanders. That's what I do; train horses. Can you give us directions to the ranch?"

While finding out which trail to take out of town and how far the ranch was, Josh saw the two young women and the boy leave the store. Red followed and watched them for a little bit as they walked down the street toward the stables.

Mitchell snapped his fingers and said, "I should've said something early, those two young women and the boy that just left are from the Maggie M. That's a small spread that needs a wrangler too; I never thought but I could've introduced you. They're headed to the stables to meet their pa, maybe you can catch up to them there."

Josh asked Jerry to put the supplies on the pack animals and he and Red started toward the stables. As they stepped outside they saw the two girls and the boy backed up against the front of a building. There were three cowboys facing them and heated words were being exchanged.

As they got closer they could hear one of the cowboys say, "You Maguire's all think you're better than us don't you Sarah? Well we're gonna show you that you're not as high and mighty as you think."

"Rafe, don't do this," the older girl said. "I don't think I'm better than you; I just don't want to go to the dance with you. I'm not going with anybody." She tried to calm the cowboy down.

Josh had to admire the two ladies; they appeared concerned but not frightened. The boy already had a split lip so he must have tried to protect the women. Lot of spunk for a youngster, Josh thought. He looked at Red and received a nod back. They stepped between the three backed up against the building and the cowboys.

"Yeah Rafe, don't do this. You won't like the outcome." Red challenged the three men. Once again Josh was amazed at the change in his friend and partner. Red was always joking, kidding around, and happy; but when facing danger he turned into another person. A very dangerous person.

"Mister, why don't you and your friends ride out? There's no need for this," Josh tried to reason with the three men. He didn't think it would work, it was obvious that the men had been drinking and liquored up men usually didn't listen to reason.

"It's none of your concern. You and your partner step aside and you won't get hurt," Rafe ordered Josh and Red.

This time it was Josh that issued the challenge, "We're makin it our concern; we gonna be working for Mr. Maguire and what kind of hands would we be if we didn't protect these ladies? You boys best ride on."

"Y'all might want to rethink what you're fixin to do boys. We got you surrounded," Red told them with a deadly smile, pointing behind them. The three cow hands looked behind them and saw Jerry with a Henry rifle pointed in their general direction. Jerry had his hat pulled down low over his eyes disguising the fact that he was a young boy. "Why don't you boys just get your horses and hit the trail?" Red continued.

Rafe and his boys didn't notice that Jerry was so young; they were more concerned with the Henry rifle pointed at them. They slowly backed away, mounted their horses, and rode out of town. As they left the Sheriff ran up holding a double barrel shotgun. "You three just stand easy," he ordered. "You girls alright Sarah?"

"Sheriff Horton these men just stopped what was proving to be a very unpleasant incident," the older of the two women said. "Rafe and his boys were going to....well, I don't know what they were going to do but it wouldn't have been anything good. These three gentlemen came to our rescue like knights in shining armor. I'm sorry I don't know your names."

"Sir John McCall of Texas ma'am," Red introduced himself with a bow and a sweeping gesture with his hat. "These are my squires Josh Kelly and Jerry Barnes. And your name milady, if I may be so bold?"

The young women both smiled at Red's antics, even the boy had to grin. "I'm Sarah Maguire," the older of the two said. "This is my sister Danielle and my brother Jacob. Did you say Sir John McCall?" She asked with a smile.

"Yes milady, all knights are addressed as Sir," Red teased. This time Sarah laughed out loud and Danielle giggled.

Josh noticed a large man walking quickly toward them. "Stay alert Red," he warned as he turned to face the man. The newcomer was even taller than Josh's 6' 1 and about 40 pounds heavier. For all his size he moved with an easy grace.

"What's going on here Sarah?" The big man asked when he got closer. "You all right?"

"Pa, these gentlemen just came to our rescue. Gentlemen this is my father, Daniel Maguire. This is John McCall, Josh Kelley, and Jerry Barnes," Sarah replied.

She explained the confrontation with Rafe and the other two and how their three new friends had helped them. Her father had to be restrained from following Rafe to dispense a little fatherly justice. Sheriff Horton told Maguire to let it go, that he would handle the two men.

Sarah got her father calmed down and Mr. Maguire shook hands all around and thanked the young men for their help. "Where you boys headed John?"

"Friends call me Red sir; we're trying to find work as ranch hands. Mr. Mitchell at the store said y'all might be looking for some help."

"We need some help but we can't afford to pay full wages so we'll just have to make due," He answered. "Sorry boys."

Josh said, "Well we'll just have to talk to Mr. Sanders at the S Bar S.

"You wouldn't get to the S Bar S until almost dark if you start this late in the day. The Maggie M is half way there, why don't you come out for supper and spend the night. We owe you boys at least that much," Mr. Maguire suggested. "You can sleep in the bunk house and get an early start tomorrow morning."

"Sounds like a fine idea to me," Red replied, looking at Sarah. "Let's get going."

Josh didn't think it was getting a jump on seeing Mr. Sanders at the S Bar S that made Red so agreeable to going to the Maguire's. He chuckled to himself; Red's interest was in Sarah, not a home cooked meal. Of course I won't mind spending a little time with Danielle either, Josh thought.

The Maguires got into their wagon and started home; the three friends walked back to their horses that were hitched in front of the general store and soon caught up with them. Josh rode beside Mr. Maguire and talked on the way to the ranch; Red decided that the other side of the wagon, where Sarah was sitting, was the best place for him to ride.

They had tied their pack animals off to the wagon and Jerry rode in the back of it talking with Jacob. It'd been a long time since Jerry had anyone near his own age to talk to. Several times Josh looked over to see how Red was getting along with Sarah and each time he caught Danielle staring at him. He had to smile as Red talked with Sarah; Red could charm the Devil himself Josh thought.

As Josh talked to Mr. Maguire he got a chance to examine the big man closer. When they had met in town Josh had still been too keyed up from the confrontation with the three cowboys to pay that much attention to the man. Mr. Maguire had sandy colored hair and his face was tanned and weather worn from working outside. His hands were very large and show the effects of years of hard work.

Mr. Maguire reminds me of my Pa, Josh thought. Same size, same big hands, and same easy way with people. He'd be a good man to have at you side during trouble.

The little caravan pulled up in front of the ranch house and Mrs. Maguire was standing on the front porch to greet them. Mr. Maguire said, "Boys this is my wife Margaret, the real boss of the outfit." After the introductions the girls started telling their mother about the incident in town.

"The telling can wait until after supper," Mr. Maguire said. "Mother would you set three more places for our guests?"

Josh and Jerry went to the corral to take care of the horses and to help Mr. Maguire unhitch his team. Red had started to follow but Josh waved him back. By the time they got back to the house, Red had Mrs. Maguire laughing and giggling like a school girl.

Margaret Maguire was a striking woman. She was tall at 5' 9 with midnight black hair gathered together and worn long down her back. When Josh took off his hat to greet her she appraised him with grey eyes. This is an intelligent woman, Josh thought. It was hard to believe that she had two grown daughters. He was impressed by the whole family.

In spite of her curiosity, Mrs. Maguire refused to let them talk about the unpleasantness in town at supper. "That can wait till after we eat," she ordered.

"How long you folks been here Mr. Maguire?" Josh asked.

"The name's Daniel or Dan please. Calling me Mr. Maguire makes me feel like my father," he said with a grin. "Been here over ten years now. After the Mexican war the Federal government gave veterans land grants up here. We were supposed to get paid cash money but they gave us land grants instead. Scouted the area in '50 then filed my claim. I built a dugout house into a hill and moved the family up from Independence, Missouri in '52."

"The first couple of years were a real adventure I'll tell you," Mrs. Maguire said. "Fighting Indians, wild animals, and the weather sure made for an interesting life."

"Yes ma'am; sounds like a right hard life. I admire you and your family Mrs. Maguire," Josh responded.

"No need to be so formal Josh. I'm Margaret but most folks call me Maggie; Daniel even named our spread after me. Now what happened in town?"

Sarah explained about Rafe and his two friends and how Red, Josh, and Jerry had come to the girls rescue. "I think they are like three knights from King Arthur's round table Sarah," Maggie said smiling at the three young men.

Josh, Jerry and even Red blushed and were a little embarrassed at the compliment. Red wasn't affected for long.

"Think I'll go check on the horses," Red told them. "Care to take a walk Sarah?"

Charm the Devil himself Red could, Josh thought again and then grinned when Jacob offered to help Red with the horses. He almost laughed when Jerry said he'd go along too. So much for a little time alone with a pretty girl, Josh said to himself.

Red shook his head a little and said, "Josh, you and Danielle might as well come along too." Bring the whole danged family why don't we, he mumbled under his breath.

"I think a walk would be nice Josh, don't you?" Danielle replied. He smiled and nodded very pleased at the invitation.

Josh was quieter than Red but he wasn't shy. There had been more than one young lady back in Missouri that he had squired around to the church socials and barn dances. But the looks that Danielle sent his way did disturb him a little; it'd been a long time since he'd been around a young woman, especially one as pretty as Danielle.

Sarah and Red led the way to the barn walking side by side. She's almost as tall as Red, Josh noticed. Sarah was defiantly her mother's daughter; she had the same dark hair and grey eyes. And Sarah had the same easy way with people that Daniel had. She was slender, but looked strong and solid. Josh could understand why Red was so taken with her.

The walk to the barn and corral didn't last as long as Red had intended and they came back to the ranch house after a short spell. As they stepped onto the porch, Daniel poured coffee for his guests and himself and lit a cigar. He offered cigars to the boys but only Red took one.

Jacob was sent off to bed and the adults talked for a while. Sarah was 22 and the school teacher in Fountain. She would be moving back to town in about a month. During the school year the town provided her with room and board at Mrs. Cassidy's boarding house and she would come out to the ranch on the weekends. Danielle, who had just turned 18, had an offer of a position in the freight company's office. She would be moving to town at the same time Sarah went back.

"I want to thank you boys again for helping my girls. Red weren't you and Josh worried about being out numbered? I know Jerry backed you up and no offense Jerry but you're not much more than a boy; and at first it was three against two," Daniel questioned.

For the first time since Josh had met him, Red didn't have anything to say. Josh waited a few seconds for Red to speak up and then responded, "Daniel as far as Jerry is concerned, he may be young but he's got more sand than a lot of grown men I've met. He's a veteran of two raids on our wagon train and handles himself well." He stopped to pat Jerry on the shoulder and smiled at him. The boy was clearly embarrassed but proud at the attention.

"Red will brag about most anything; except how good he is when trouble jumps up. He's a veteran of those same two raids and he fought in the war too; at a place called Manassas with the 29th Texas Cavalry. He's a mighty good man to have at your back," Josh said.

"But still there were three of them and you didn't know that Jerry was going to get the drop on them from behind. Took a lot of nerve to face them down," Daniel continued.

"Didn't think about it much sir. We just saw two young ladies being bullied and stepped in," Red softly remarked.

"Red won't say so Mr. Mag...Daniel, but he's very, very good with that pistol of his," Josh said.

"That right Red? You a gunfighter?" Daniel asked. He wasn't sure he wanted a gunfighter around his family even if he had helped them.

"No sir, I'm not. I'm just an ex-soldier trying to get by," Red answered looking Daniel in the eye. "I had some teachin from a cousin of mine to help me do that."

"Ever heard of Texas John Slaughter, Daniel?" Josh asked. And before he could answer continued, "That's Red's cousin.

"The lawman?"

"Yes sir. He taught Red some before either one of them went to war. He's not a gunfighter sir but he's as good as I've ever seen," Josh said.

Daniel stared at the two men who had put themselves between his girls and danger and thought, gunfighter or not Red and the other two are good men. "I'd be proud to consider you boys as friends," he said.

Maggie said, "Time for bed girls." Sarah lingered a little saying good night to Red. Danielle made a point of saying good night to Josh also and then the girls went inside. "Don't stay up talking too late Dan. See you knights in the morning." She said with a smile and left the men.

Josh changed the subject. "Mr. Magu....I mean Daniel sir, you said before that you couldn't afford to hire some help. Mind if I ask way? This looks like a good place for cattle or horses," Josh said.

"No, I don't mind the askin. This is a good place to raise stock of almost any kind, but for the last year rustlers have stolen or run off most of our cattle. Sheriff Horton is a good man but we're a long way from town; by the time we can report the loss of the cattle the thieves are long gone. I've tried to follow the trail but lost it up in the hills."

woodmanone
woodmanone
2,294 Followers