The Vassal Academy Ch. 24

Story Info
Demonstrating the products.
11.1k words
4.78
61.9k
19

Part 24 of the 39 part series

Updated 10/29/2022
Created 05/08/2008
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Monday morning started as all mornings at the Academy do. With people hustling to get the day started. The slaves were rushing through morning routine. The Trainers were finalizing plans for the days training. Devon oversaw it all. Andre and Geneva traveled to pick up Josh, and found that the Doctor was due in an hour or so to release him. They waited and chatted, and before lunch, Josh was ready to be discharged.

Arriving back at the Academy, Josh was shown to his room, and given a hand radio in case he needed anything. Geneva got out of her clothing quickly, and the afternoon progressed as always, people were busy. Josh wondered into the Admin area, and felt wrong somehow, but he didn't want to be naked right now. He hung out and chatted with Jeannette, and the others as they passed in and out. He found that Master Thomas enjoyed the same reality shows that Josh did, and they discussed the shows for a while, kibitzing about the choices the people made.

Monday's dinner was normal too. Josh ate with the Master's, declining to have a tray in his room. He just wanted to be around people. After dinner, he asked Master Devon if someone could run him to the Apartment tomorrow, so he could get his things.

"Certainly Josh, I'll take you myself. I'd be honored." Devon had surprised him in saying.

Josh hadn't set the alarm clock in the room, accustomed to having Jeannette wake him when it was time to get moving. Surprising him a great deal, at 7:35, Diane arrived with a tray and woke him with a knock on the door. Opening the door he found her holding the tray and he saw it was liberally covered with food and beverages. "Hello." He said in confusion.

"We assumed you'd want to eat in your room this morning, and I volunteered to bring you the tray." Diane said. "After Breakfast, we'll all be working, but someone should be around Admin, you know the drill Josh."

Josh watched Diane place the tray gracefully on a small table near a comfortable chair. "Uh, thanks Diane. I'm sorry you had to bring that."

"No problem, just leave it after you're done eating, we'll pick it up shortly." Diane said smiling. "I have to run now." Diane was gone in a flash, and Josh knew she was already behind schedule because he hadn't gotten up in time.

Josh ate, not too quickly, his right arm worked, and could steady a plate, or hold a fork to steady the meal, but it was too weak, and it hurt too much to eat with it. After breakfast, he quickly cleaned himself, and went to Admin. Master Devon was at his desk, and at the first sight of Josh was up and ready to depart at Josh's request.

First they went first to the Graveyard, and Josh sat on a bench near Brad's grave, and wept silently as he said goodbye to his friend, his master, and his lover. Devon sat with him, holding his hand, offering support, and friendship. Devon was wise enough to know that nothing needed to be said, that Josh was doing everything himself.

Devon had called the Lawyer and informed him that Josh wanted to get his things today. The lawyer had arranged it and called Devon back in minutes saying it would be no problem.

At the Apartment, Brad's brother, Jacob was there, and prepared to be ugly to Josh about the things. Devon pulled him aside and spoke quietly to him. Jacob was not friendly, but could be considered civil for the rest of the short stay.

Devon helped Josh pack, and then carried the things down and put them in the mini van, which had been chosen for this purpose. In the van on the way home, Devon accepted the inevitable question, what had he said to Jacob. "It's not important, really."

"Master." Josh began, he couldn't think of the trainers as anything else. He'd tried. "I've never known Jacob to be anything but ugly towards me. Today, he wasn't. I just wondered what you'd said to him."

Devon shrugged. "I explained to him that no one would be served by a scene now. It could change nothing that had happened, and nothing that would happen. All it would do is annoy me, which would not be in his best interests."

Devon frightened Jacob in truth. Devon spoke with such easy power, such confidence, that Jacob was concerned, and uncomfortable. Devon didn't act like he owned the world, he acted like everyone knew he owned the world, and he didn't need to mention it. Jacob didn't like it, but decided until he knew more about this Devon, he shouldn't cause problems that may interfere with the inheritance that he stood to get. Besides, Devon had a point, nothing could be gained by a scene, and things could be lost.

Josh looked at him as they drove north. "I don't understand. Brad could never get Jacob to act civil, and had just about stopped seeing him except at Family gatherings. You spoke to him for a minute, and he was behaving like a Gentleman."

"Josh, it doesn't matter what I said. What mattered is we got your things, and we did so without any problems." Devon explained. It wasn't what he'd said, it was how he said it. Jacob was a bully, and like all bullies, backed down when confronted by someone who didn't show emotion, or fear. Devon showed amusement, not anger, not resentment. He was amused by Jacob, and let Jacob see the humor in his eyes. Devon merely acted as if he could squash Jacob like a bug, and it was only at his sufferance, that Jacob existed right this instant.

At the Academy, Josh described the scene to Jeannette and Geneva, and they grinned. Jeannette summed it up. "Master can be quite convincing, and he sees things in people the rest of us don't."

"Yeah." Geneva said. "He saw through me in a couple minutes."

"Me too." Josh admitted. "He said he needed to talk to me about something going on tomorrow. Any idea?"

"We have a demonstration tomorrow afternoon, and a formal dinner tomorrow night." Jeannette said. "I think he wants to talk to you about it."

"I don't think I can serve." Josh said cautiously.

"I'm sure Master has a plan." Jeannette told him. "Wait for him to talk to you."

Jeannette and Geneva finished getting him unpacked into the dresser. Setting him up for a longer term stay, and hung his nicer clothing in the closet.

Josh went to the office, and knocked on the door with his left hand. He stepped inside when Master Devon looked up. "Master, you wanted to talk to me?"

"Sure Josh." Devon said. "We've got a number of guests coming tomorrow. I'm looking at nine diners." He gestured for Josh to sit. Josh did so, uncomfortably. "I was hoping I could ask you for a favor."

"What favor Master?" Josh asked.

"I know you can't serve, and I don't think you'd be comfortable at the table. So I was hoping I could talk you into helping in the Kitchen. While the courses are being served, just help Chef lay out the next course, he's got warming lamps to keep them ready to be served. That will make it easier on the girls to serve the diners and attend to them."

Josh thought. "Just hang out in the Kitchen, and help Chef?"

"That's it." Devon agreed. "I know your arm still hurts, and I don't want you to hurt it anymore."

Josh agreed. "Sure thing Master. I'm not sure what help I'll be, but I'll do whatever I can."

"This is a one time thing Josh, we're just too short handed otherwise." Devon admitted sadly.

"Sure thing Master. I like Chef anyway, he's a great cook." Josh said readily. It wouldn't be bad. Things here weren't really bad ever. Well most of the time they weren't bad.

"Josh, there's something else I should have mentioned to you." Devon said a bit more seriously. "As a guest, you are entitled to seek someone's company. In other words, you can ask if someone would like to spend time with you, should you desire to do so. I'm certain that right now, with the injury so fresh, and with Brad's loss still so painful." Devon had seen Josh wince. "I know it's too soon. However, I wanted to let you know that you can ask any of the staff, not the trainee's, to spend some time with you. That includes trainers."

Josh nodded. "Thank you Master. I understand what you're saying." He hesitated. "I'm not really ready for that yet."

"I know, but I wanted to make sure you understood. You're not a slave, despite your insistence to call us all Master. You're a guest. As a guest, you have certain privileges. You can borrow one of the cars, and we'll attend to you the best we can."

"You've all been great so far Master." Josh said with a faint smile. He knew they were hoping he'd join them, and he might. Just not right now.

Devon nodded and held up his hand. "I read a book where a man described what I see as the duties of a guest, and a host. A guest is a jewel, resting on a cushion of hospitality."

Josh chuckled. "That about sums up what I've been feeling so far."

Devon stood and walked to the library, and returned handing Josh a book. "That's the book. It was written in 1936. One of the first books by Rex Stout."

Josh looked at the cover. "Too Many Cooks?"

"It's a mystery, and the stories are entertaining. Picture the physical representation of Falstaff, and the brilliance of Sherlock Holmes. The character is called Nero Wolfe, and he's absolutely unique in the genre of American Mysteries."

"Thank you Master, I'll check it out." Josh said. "I've noticed that all the trainers are usually reading books. Some of the slaves read too. Why do you stress reading? Isn't it faster to watch TV and get the same stuff?"

"Books are our window into society." Devon said. "They contain the author's original words, his or her original intent. Sometimes, the intent can be captured by the screen, other times, most of the times in fact, you find that the version of the story in cinema is adjusted to the Director's view. Take something simple, like the story we've all seen so many times. The Wizard of Oz is a good example of this. The book is very different from the movie, darker and more difficult. There are two good witches, and several other changes. The movie is good, I grant that. The book is the original, and we should know where the movie came from."

Josh considered. "I never read much."

"Perhaps this will start to show you that bigotry has always existed. We must choose not to participate." Devon said as he sat back at his desk. "The book was written, and at the time it was written, many minorities were referred to in very disparaging terms. The conversations in the books include many of those terms. Yet Wolfe, the Detective I mentioned in the story, rejects those terms. He even goes so far as to consistently treat Blacks and other minorities as equals. Well as equal as he treats anyone." Devon leaned back and considered for a moment. "I think you'll get a glimpse into how the Author, Stout, felt about Minorities. How they were treated, and I think you'll see that the storyteller, Goodwin, is swayed to Wolfe's point of view."

Josh looked at the book. "Will bigotry ever end?"

"No." Devon admitted. "I don't think it will. There will always be a few. The majority of us however have rejected the idea for the most part."

"So the characters in the book don't think they're better than the Blacks? Even in the 1930's?" Josh asked suspiciously.

"When you finish that book. I'll give you 'Right to Die" by the same author. In it Goodwin says that he often feels superior to others. But if he ever feels that superiority because of skin color, he hopes that someone puts him out of his misery."

Josh nodded thoughtfully. "I'll read this Master, or try to. I'll also be happy to help out in the Kitchen."

"I do regret asking this of you." Devon admitted.

"No problem, glad to help out Master." Josh said as he left, thinking about a number of things.

Jeannette smiled as she saw him. "So is he having you put on a floor show?"

Josh shook his head. "No, I'm going to help out in the Kitchen, help chef set out the next course, that kind of thing."

"It's really a big help for Chef, I think we're looking at getting him another chef to help out, a second cook kind of thing."

Geneva entered the administrative area and smiled warmly. "Cool Josh, you're here. Come on, let's work that arm and get you healed up."

Josh groaned and followed Geneva to the Guest Room he was using. As he sat on the bed, she worked his arm gently, but with determination through a full range of motion exercises. "Why do you have to hurt me like this again?"

"To keep scar tissue from building up and reducing the mobility of your arm." Geneva said. "It hurts now, but later you'll have better use of your arm from this."

An hour passed. Josh ate with the Master's again, and noticed that the conversation, while flowing from subject to subject, seemed to avoid one subject. No discussions of training were going on. He realized that they were in fact, avoiding the subject of training and the slaves were barely mentioned.

Jeannette had mentioned that the trainers normally discussed training at lunch, and Josh had resolved to ignore it. The trainers, were not taking this time to discuss their work, which meant that they were discussing it at other times, and that meant that Josh was doing something he didn't like. He was interfering in their lives, and their work.

Josh understood he existed in a sort of limbo. He wasn't a Master, and doubted he ever would be. He wasn't a slave, and he wasn't really a VIP. He was a guest, using Master Devon's words, and everyone's attitude to describe it, but he was treated and they dealt with him with an eye towards long term recovery and residency.

A guest is a jewel on a cushion of hospitality Master Devon had said. If so, the jewel shouldn't be a problem. Josh resolved to dine with the slaves from now on. So that the Trainers, the Masters, could have this time for themselves.

The trainers retired after dinner to Devon's office, where discussions of training would now take place. Rebecca was first out of the office, followed closely by Thomas as they went to train the two students.

Josh waited in admin, watching Jeannette prepare the office for the morning while the other house slaves saw to the Kitchen. After Master Andre had left, Josh rose and knocked on Devon's door. "Master, do you have a moment?"

"Sure Josh, we're just chatting." Devon said amiably.

"Master, Jeannette told me that you all normally talk about training at dinner, and I noticed you're not. I understand why, and I'd like to dine with the slaves, if that's all right." Josh said quickly, obviously uncomfortable.

"If you'd feel more comfortable there, certainly you're welcome to eat anywhere you wish." Devon said. "We refrained from discussions of training, because you're a guest, and we didn't want to bore you."

"Master, it's all right, I don't wish to be a burden, not a large one. I'll eat with the slaves, or in with Chef. He and I have started chatting."

Devon smiled. "Chef is one hell of a cook, and a very nice guy."

"Yes Master." Josh stood to leave. "I just wanted to tell you that I won't be in at breakfast. I'll mention it to Chef before I turn in, or leave him a note if he's already asleep."

Devon thanked him and then finished with Ann. Turning out his desk light, he headed upstairs. Tired, and thankful. Josh had just volunteered to save them several hours a day, time that would have to come from their personal sleeping.

Josh found Chef's door closed, and left a note. Add one for breakfast with the slaves.

He went to his room, and picked up the book to read for a little while before bed.

In the morning, the ringing of the alarm woke Josh, he'd discovered that no one was going to come for him until breakfast yesterday. They would bring him a tray at 7:30 if he hadn't shown up at the table.

After a quick shower, he only took quick showers since his time at the Academy, enough to wash and move along, he dressed in casual pants and a button down casual shirt. Mainly because it was easier for him to get a button down shirt over his shoulder, and he didn't want to run around naked, not yet.

He arrived at breakfast with the rest, and sat in the slave dining hall. He listened as Jeannette passed out Master's instructions. Donna and Yvette would have normal classes before lunch, a short class after lunch, and be available with the rest for demonstrations as directed by Master for the tour.

Crystal was assigned to a quick class in Ballet, apparently her weakest subject, and then to help Diane and Geneva in the Kitchen. Chef would be busy all day, and could use the extra help.

"Josh, that leaves you. Geneva said she needs to work your arm this afternoon, so we'll do that right after lunch." Jeannette continued between hasty bites of food. "Master Devon said you wanted to eat here with us. I can understand that."

"Yeah, sitting at the table with Master means we can't joke." Crystal grumped from her special syban seat. It was obviously getting to her.

"Special instructions for you too." Jeannette said to Crystal. "No syban for the rest of the day, we're going to get you under control so you're not rattling dishes all night."

"Thank you God." Crystal said seriously.

"The Master's are going to be setting up the demonstrations this morning, and placing us this afternoon. Expect to be in one of the training rooms or available to go into one. You may be answering questions, and you may be tied up like a little ball in bondage training. I don't know yet, Mistress Ann is going to be working with Master Devon and Master Andre after her class with you Crystal."

"Right." Crystal said. "Ballet two right?"

"Yep, and that's it folks. Just keep loose, and we'll all have the plan finalized before these VIP's get here." Jeannette picked up her empty tray and said. "Time to get to work."

The slaves scattered in a flash, each headed towards their own assigned duty. Josh had no duty, and returned to his room. He watched a little TV, and then becoming bored, wondered out of his guest room. He had nothing to do until this afternoon, when Geneva would once again torture him calling it therapy. He walked outside, and strode down to the dock. It stuck out into the small cove, the larger Long Island Sound visible in the bright sunlight. Standing on the dock, he just watched the waves roll steadily by, listening to them break gently on the pilings.

"Pretty out here, isn't it?" Jeannette asked him.

Turning in surprise, he found Jeannette standing there, barefoot as usual, her ass more visible than normal, the short slave dress waving in the breeze off the water. "I was just wondering around."

Jeannette smiled at him. "It's all right Josh, it's not like you have somewhere to be or anything."

"Yeah." Josh agreed. "I was just out here not thinking. Sounds strange right? Not thinking."

Jeannette shook her head. "No, it's normal. We all have times we don't want to think about things." There was an edge of sadness to her voice.

"Anything in particular you don't like to think about?" Josh asked. Partly from curiosity, and partly from a desire to listen if she wanted to talk.

"Yes." Jeannette answered. She didn't offer more, and Josh wasn't going to ask. After a few minutes of silence Jeannette spoke again. "I'm sorry Brad died Josh. I really am."

"Me too." Josh replied softly. "He was too tired, we both were. We'd been up at the with some friends in the mountains, near Lake Champlain." Josh used his left hand to rub his shoulder and roll his neck around. "We'd taken the week, just taken off and went north. No business for a week, and then a phone call. A problem at one of the shipping companies, they couldn't handle the influx of cargo after all, and we were on our way back so he could fix this problem."

Jeannette waited, knowing more was to come. Josh waited for a while and then continued. "We'd been out on the lake half the day, the sun, the water, we were both tired, but he decided to drive in anyway. I had kind of zoned out too, hypnotized by the road I guess, and when I became aware of a problem, it was those ripples on the edge, but it was a turn, and we couldn't make the turn."