The Vetting Ch. 02

Story Info
Love, finally, and a twist.
7.5k words
4.53
11.4k
9

Part 2 of the 2 part series

Updated 09/30/2022
Created 12/10/2014
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
JayDavid
JayDavid
651 Followers

The conclusion to the story. Again, there is sex, but no detailed descriptions, for reasons that make sense to the concept.

*****

After graduation, Anna Marie took a job with a company that she intimated was part of the family's legitimate empire in another city, and I lost touch with her for the most part. I started dating a truly wonderful woman a year behind me at school, and we were pretty serious for a while. I'm sure you can find out her name if you want, but I'm not going to say anything because, well, because if you knew who she is, you would know why I'm trying to be discreet. We continued to date long distance after I graduated and moved to New York, to work for a couple of years as a consultant before business school, but broke it off when I got into Wharton, and she moved out west to follow her dreams.

After my first year at Wharton, I sat down with my father and we discussed my future. He made it clear that I was welcome to join the family business, and would start at a level commensurate with my experience, which meant pretty low. And if I showed ability, I would be promoted appropriately, and if it made sense, groomed to succeed him. If not, I would be told what my prospects were at the company. In other words, it would be the same path that he took in succeeding my grandfather. But he also made it clear that I had his and Mom's blessing to strike out on my own, with full knowledge that there would always be a place for me at the company.

Obviously, I had been thinking hard about this before the talk, and while there certainly was a part of me that wanted to prove that I could be a success on my own, I loved our family business, and decided that I wanted to contribute to it. I could tell my father was pleased, and we toasted the decision with a nice bottle of Champagne that he had chilled, in the hope that I'd take him up on his offer.

Knowing that I had a job after graduation made second year less stressful, and I really enjoyed my studies. I think it was in March, I was coming home from getting a beer with one of my classmates and was walking into the lobby of my building to have a quiet dinner alone when I got a whiff of a scent that I hadn't smelled in years. My head snapped in the direction of the scent, and there was Anna Marie Raspoli. The few years since I had seen her had apparently been good for her. She looked even more elegant and beautiful than I remembered, and I had a good memory.

"Justin," she said with that beguiling half-smile on her dark red lips.

"Anna Marie," I responded and moved closer. I was rewarded with a quick hug and a kiss on both my cheeks. "You look great. I can't believe that it's been years since I last saw you."

"I know. You look well. Happy."

"I am, thanks. You?"

"The same. Can I buy you dinner and we can catch up?"

"Sure, why not? What brings you to the City of Brotherly Love?" We started to walk out of the building, and she grabbed my arm as if we had been dating for years.

"Recruiting for my company—"

"That's right, I forgot that is going on now. I'm going to work for the family business."

"I know."

I looked at her. "How did you know?"

"I mean, I expected that, knowing you."

I wasn't sure she was telling the whole truth, but it didn't really matter. She hailed a cab and gave an address that was a bit out of town.

"Another Uncle?" I asked, recalling that wonderful meal we had years before.

"Not exactly. A friend of the family owns this one."

I was surprised that the place we pulled up to was not an Italian place, but instead was a small French bistro looking restaurant. She declined my offer to pay for the cab, settled with the driver, then led me in. Surprisingly, the restaurant was empty, except for one table, where a familiar looking gray-haired gentleman was sitting. He stood as we approached.

"Mr. Raspoli," I said, holding out my hand. "It is a pleasure to see you again."

He smiled. "Sure, kid. Good to see you, too."

We sat and made brief small talk before food and wine started to appear.

Don Antonio said little and just listened as I told him and his daughter what I was studying and what my plans were, and as Anna Marie filled me in on her life since college. She had worked at a couple of different companies in different states, and then mentioned that she was going to be named CEO of the family holding company in a month.

I raised my wineglass to her and said, "Congratulations." She smiled. I looked at Don Antonio and said, "You must be proud of her."

He nodded and growled, "Yeah. She is great. And now I can retire and let her worry. But if she messes up..." He made a gesture that appeared to be a knife slashing his neck. I almost dropped my fork, and couldn't take my eyes from Don Antonio. And then he threw back his head, laughing. "Gotcha, kid. God, I wish you coulda seen your face."

I started laughing, more out of politeness and relief than mirth, and took a long drink of wine. I looked at Anna Marie, and her face was impassive.

Don Antonio wiped his mouth and said, "One of the benefits of retiring is that I can leave early and go to bed." He stood and we stood. I shook his hand, and he kissed Anna Marie on the cheek. "Vito will drive you home when you are done. Have a nice evening." He walked out, followed by a large, black clad man who I hadn't noticed before.

"It is really good to see you, Anna Marie," I said, when the room was empty again.

"Good to see you, too, Justin."

"So does all of this mean that the transformation is done?"

Her eyes darted around the room. "Almost entirely. We have pretty much walked away from our less savory interests—"

"Walked away?"

"I didn't say we gave them away," she said, displaying that half-smile again. "But, yes, we are almost completely an upstanding multinational corporation."

"If such a thing was possible."

"If such a thing was possible," she repeated.

"I always knew that we would end up with that in common," she said. "Although admittedly, the businesses had somewhat different roots."

Nodding, I replied, raising my glass, "Congratulations on becoming a legal pirate."

She laughed, then said, "If my father heard you say that, you might not be smiling so much."

My face fell, "No offense meant, you know, it was just a joke."

"I know, Justin. You may not believe this, but you are one of the very few people who know enough, and who I trust enough, to make jokes like that."

I breathed out, in relief. Changing the subject, I asked, "What about your personal life?"

That smile crossed her face again. "If you are asking if I'm married or seeing someone, the answer is no. I've been too busy to maintain any sort of relationship. Which doesn't mean that I've been living the life of my great-aunt Teresa, who is a nun. What about you?"

"I had one serious relationship, but that didn't work, and I've been unattached since then. Although not completely lacking in female companionship," I felt compelled to add. By this time, all of our food and wine was gone. I folded my napkin on the table and said, "This has been a nice evening. Where do we go from here?"

"Your place, of course," she replied.

I was no longer surprised by the lack of any check, or her directness. We left the restaurant, entered the black car that was waiting for us, and snuggled together on the ride back to my apartment. It was as if she wanted to prolong the anticipation until we got there, and if that was her plan, it worked, because we nearly ripped each other's clothing off in my living room before making it to the bedroom for a night of passion. Sex with Anna Marie was as incredible as I had remembered, and if anything, the few years since we last were together improved everything.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

In the morning, to my disappointment, she was gone. I arranged to send flowers to the office of the company she was working at, in part to say "thanks" and in part because I thought it might actually make her a little uncomfortable.

I graduated from Wharton, took a month off travelling around Europe, then returned to start work. My father sent me to our main shipping facility, to work as an assistant to the head of the department. He told me that it would be a good way to start learning some of the logistical challenges that we faced. And he was right. I worked hard, because the last thing I wanted was to be thought of as only the boss' kid, and because there was much to do. My boss, Arnie Trowbridge, was a long-time, trusted executive and was damned good at his job. I did suggest a few improvements, and he even agreed to implement a couple. The rest, he patiently pointed out, would have been disasters.

With all of that, Anna Marie Raspoli faded from my mind, although I did see the articles in the Wall Street Journal and some of the business blogs about her ascension to the head of her family business, all of which, of course, discussed its colorful and illicit past. Most of the articles used some form of the word "formidable" in discussing Anna Marie.

One afternoon, I was sitting in my cubicle, poring over some spreadsheets, looking for efficiencies, when a large, black clad man appeared in the door holding an envelope. It was surprising, because typically, visitors were announced, and deliveries were circulated by our internal messengers. Wordlessly, he handed me the envelope and walked out. My name was written on the outside in a neat, but clearly feminine hand. I opened the envelope, and got a faint whiff of her scent. There was a card inside, blank one side, and on the other, in the same handwriting, was written, "Get a burner phone. Call this number." I don't remember now what the number was. "Destroy this note." It was signed "AMR".

I had enough credibility in the job by that point that no one cared if I walked out, mid-afternoon. I drove to the nearest place to get a burner, paid for it with cash, then got in my car and drove somewhere private. Somehow, I knew I needed to do that. When I got there, I called the number. After three rings, I heard her voice. "I'm glad you called. Give me fifteen minutes." The call ended.

Sitting in my car, I tried to figure out what was going on, and worried that, despite her protestations, Anna Marie Raspoli was not fully free of her father's legacy, and I knew that I didn't want to get involved in anything shady that could damage our business, or my future. But I knew I needed to listen. I was shocked from my thoughts by the unfamiliar ringing of the phone.

Without any preamble, she said, "Can you talk freely?"

"Yes."

"Look, sorry about the mystery, but it will make sense in a second."

"Good," I replied. I didn't want to commit to anything.

"Your company does business with Eltward Industries, right?"

"Yes. They are one of our biggest suppliers. But you already know that, right?"

She laughed. "Yes, of course I do. I think they are ripping you off."

"How is that possible? We've been doing business with them since my Grandpa was alive."

"I know. But a couple of years ago, Davey Eltward took over, and he's a moron and a cokehead."

"O.K. How does that affect me?"

"I've found out that they are cutting corners to save money, and that their products aren't what their specs say." She gave me a few examples.

"How do you know?"

"Not the right question, Justin." She was right.

"Why are you telling me this?"

"I told you years ago that I was your friend."

"Then, thank you, my friend."

"You're welcome." Before I could respond, she cut off the call, and I knew that it would be futile to call back. Instead, I called my father on the burner.

"Dad?"

"Yes, Justin. What phone are you calling from?"

"Don't worry—I'll explain later. Dad, we have an issue, and I need to speak with you face to face, as soon as possible."

"Is everything O.K. there?"

"Yes, Dad, but I'd rather discuss it in person."

"O.K. I'll take the jet and we can have dinner."

"I'll order in."

"Sounds good, son. See you in a few."

I drove back to the office and said nothing, but not before dropping the burner phone down a sewer grate.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Over my father's favorite sausage and peppers pizza, I told him what Anna Marie Raspoli told me.

"Are you sure that she is telling the truth, Justin?"

"As long as I've known her, she has never lied to me, at least not that I know of."

"It certainly can't hurt to check to see if the Eltward materials are up to spec." He picked up his phone and made a couple of calls.

A couple of days later, Dad called me at the office. "Your friend was right. It turns out that they were paying off a couple of our guys to ignore the deficiencies. I'm so disappointed that our employees would betray us."

"Yeah, I know."

"Anyway, they confessed and implicated Eltward. They've been fired, and we have given the information to the appropriate authorities. We are going to have to recall some shipments and make some adjustments, but luckily, our customers seem to understand that it wasn't our fault. Good job, son."

"I didn't do anything, really."

"You have been smart enough to make a good friend, who helped you out. And were smart enough to trust her."

"I guess."

I arranged to send Anna Marie flowers again, this time, with a card that said, "Thanks, friend." I knew she would understand.

Within the week, the press was reporting the story, and the scandal devastated Eltward Industries. About a month later, the press reported that Eltward was bought for a song by a company called RMA Associates, and it only took me about 10 minutes online to determine that RMA was a subsidiary of Anna Marie Raspoli's company.

I have to admit, I was a bit annoyed. I mean, she did help to protect our company, but it also seemed to be part of a takeover strategy. When I drove to my apartment that night, I started thinking what I would say to Anna Marie when I called her the next day to give he a piece of my mind. But when I walked into the lobby of the building, she was standing there, with the same impassive look on her face that she always had when surprising me.

"Hello, Justin."

"Hello."

"You don't look happy to see me right now."

"I'm confused."

"Don't you remember my father's advice?"

I did, and I hated that I said that. "Yes."

"Can we go to your apartment and talk?"

"Of course."

We took the elevator up to the 4th floor, and entered my place. Since it was temporary, and I didn't spend much time there, it was pretty sparsely furnished.

Anna Marie looked around. "Decorator still in Milan?"

I smiled, remembering the joke. "No, Paris, I think."

She smiled. I looked at her and realized how beautiful she was. She seemed to defy the usual wisdom, and was getting more beautiful as she got older.

"Can I get you something?"

"Red wine?"

I rummaged in my cabinet and pulled out a bottle, opened it and poured two glasses. Anna Marie smelled the wine and took a sip.

"Barolo?"

I smiled. "Yes. I always have a couple of bottles around. Even if it isn't quite as good as we had at Uncle John's."

"It isn't. But still good. Thanks."

We sat on the couch. I could smell her, and it caused the usual lust to begin building. And I knew that she knew that.

"What brings you to our fair city?"

"I figured you would want to talk."

"You're right. Why didn't you tell me?"

"Tell you what?"

"Seriously? That you only told me about Eltward so that you could snap up the company at a depressed price."

She looked at me with a hard, scary look. "And that matters to you how? I helped your company prevent a huge problem. That I got a benefit from helping you is of no interest to you. And as your friend, I assumed that you would be happy for me." She took a sip of wine and I could see her swirling it around her mouth.

"I guess I expected you to tell me the truth."

"I did. I told you all of the truth that you needed to know."

It was my turn to take a drink, and to think. I guess that she was right, and that my anger was based on the fact that, once again, she knew more than I did. "You're right. I'm sorry."

"Are you?"

"I am, Anna Marie."

"Then I think you need to make it up to me." She stood up and took my hand. "Which one is the bedroom."

"The door on the right."

"Then let's go."

It was a memorable night, as it always was when I got to be naked with Anna Marie Raspoli, and she even was there in the morning for a quick encore, before I had to get to work, and she had to get back to her office. We promised to stay in touch more, but I suspected that was more a dream than reality.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

In fact, it was about three years before I actually spoke with her again. In that time, we had exchanged a few emails, mostly me congratulating her on her company's successes after reading about them, and once her congratulating me on moving to the home office to work with my father. Apparently, my work in shipping, and then in a couple of other divisions, was good enough that Dad was prepared to start grooming me for the big job.

I also came close to getting married during that period, to a wonderful and beautiful woman who even accepted my proposal. But six months later, as you may know, she died in a car accident. I was devastated, and I'm pretty sure that Anna Marie was one of the many who sent condolences. Life has to go on, though, and eventually, I threw myself back into work, trying to figure out how Dad did what he did, and trying to come up with things he didn't think of.

So, I was surprised one afternoon when Susie, my assistant, buzzed me to tell me that Anna Marie Raspoli was on the phone. I picked up the receiver and said, "Hi. How have you been?"

"Fine, mostly good, I guess. I was sorry to hear about -"

"Thanks. I appreciate it." I wanted to move on. "To what do I owe the pleasure?"

"Um, I need your help on a small matter."

My antennas went up. She had never asked for anything before, although I understood that as her "friend" we were supposed to help each other, and she certainly had a favor owed to her. "Sure, what do you need."

"You are still friendly with Gage Padgett, right?"

"Sure. I mean it is hard to stay close with someone who is as famous as he is, but yeah, we email and text occasionally, speak one or twice a year, and he got me tickets to see him play a couple of times. Why?"

"Well, I've gone out on a bit of a limb with my board, because I want to buy UAG—"

"The sports agency?"

"Yeah. I think they are a good play now because they are small, but have good management and a blue chip roster. Gage is their big star, but he has a change of control provision in his contract, and he made it clear that he won't be associated with any company owned by—"

"By someone in your family."

"Exactly. I met with him, tried to explain to him that we were completely clean, but it was like talking to a wall."

"And let me guess, your persuasive skills were not helpful with him."

There was anger in her voice when she responded. "If you think that I offered to-"

"No, no, no. I just meant that you have a way of making men do what you want, but that Gage is immune to that."

She breathed out. "I was worried that I was going to have to kill you now."

Now, I was nervous. "Are you—"

Anna Marie laughed her deep laugh. "Of course not. Even you still think that I hang around with my father's associates."

"Do you?"

"Some, but not the ones who you are worried about." I sensed that she was teasing me again.

JayDavid
JayDavid
651 Followers