The Warmest Winter, Day 08

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"That's why I offered. I seem like a nice guy, but don't have to actually do anything. Win-win." Everyone laughed. "All right, I gotta go now. You take care of yourselves. And Mike, you should come to town a bit more."

Mike gave a sharp look to his pal. It had been the exact same inflection that Rick had used.

"I'll walk you out," Mike said.

Outside the front door, Mike turned to Dave.

"What aren't you telling me?"

"Well, I don't know for sure, but we just got a ton of money, Mike. The park, that is. So much that soon we could stay open all year."

"What's the catch?"

"That's the weird part. No strings attached. It's just that the money's earmarked for the park. As long as we can justify the purchase to the people we already answer to, the money's there to buy it. Ranger station upgrades, equipment, even a bit more land. It's crazy."

"Well, that sounds great!" Mike said, "Good for you! So why the concern?"

"Less than a day after the money drops, I hear about some kind of zoning changes that went into effect at the first of the year. I don't know anything about that, but I do some checking. You know how they say if something's too good to be true, it usually is."

"Yeah..."

"Next Monday, there's some kind of emergency session at the county courthouse. To see if the public objects to the changes."

"That's odd. I've never heard of that before. They don't typically do things like that around here."

"I know. That's why I came to warn you. Complicated law changes, around my park, mixed in with zoning stuff? Made me think of you. I'm keeping it quiet, in case I tip someone off who shouldn't be, but maybe some other people can tell you stuff you can put together."

"You think there's a conspiracy?"

"I always think there's a conspiracy, and darn it, one day I'll be right."

"I just hope it's not today," they finished together.

"Thanks for the heads-up. Stan's waiting on you. I'll call you if we need anything."

"You do that. See ya."

"See ya."

*****

Mike slipped into his office, just inside the front door. The ladies were talking excitedly about their future business and didn't notice him. He picked up the phone and dialed.

"Mike, whatcha need?" Rick said.

"Focus on laws concerning the park, and zoning. Also, see what you can dig up about law repealing procedures locally, to see if anything changed. And find out about an emergency court session next Monday."

"Nowthat'sa lead. Where'd you find this stuff so soon?"

"I've done some good for the local economy. People here like me."

"Hooray for poor judgment. I think I might be able to squeeze something out now."

"I'll let you get back to it, then."

"Bye."

"Bye."

*****

The four friends, Mike and the women, spent the rest of the night chatting and planning various details of their business. It would need its own property, a specially-built structure, highly-trained and specialized staff, and on, and on.

In the back of his mind, Mike considered how friends could work together. For a start, there would need to be fewer secrets between them. Trust between friends can be broken and repaired with little repercussion elsewhere. But when business partners lose trust, the business and everyone connected to it get hurt somehow. And when the client list is comprised of people in serious need, that could get ugly, fast.

Should he tell them about the laws and such? What would he say? There might be something very bad, or for all they knew, very good. No matter what, it was premature to say.

Then there was the Rule. None of the ladies shall be aware of the others' pursuits of the same man, until such time as there is only one pursuit. No asking. No telling.

Mike resolved himself, right in the middle of a debate between plastic and real office plants, to somehow get the secret out into the open, and soon. It was the ladies' rule, after all, not his, and he never actually agreed, except passively, to abide by it.

Whatever the case, tomorrow promised to be quite interesting.