The Whore, The Hunter & Enkidu

Story Info
An old story, but still worth telling.
5.4k words
4.36
18.6k
3
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Long before the first engine coughed into life. Before Rome was built or a word in Latin was even said Before the first Pharaoh was laid to rest under the first pyramid.

Before a wooden horse was left at the gates of Troy Before Abraham was forced to choose between love of God and his baby boy.

When the earth lay green and empty We open our story In lush and fertile lands. Between the rivers Tigris and Euphrates where a stalwart city beside a flowing river stands.

It is an old story, but still worth telling How Gilgimesh, the mighty king from distant past accomplished illustrious deeds grasping at eternal life only to embrace the bitter leavings and dregs of strife.

A long time ago in a far away land Once green and blooming, now covered with sand. Beside the broad Euphrates flowing like peace past the city of Urik. The mighty and tall Gilgimesh was king, and supreme lugal.

The city Urik was exceedingly beautiful. Three square miles with open space temples and homes. Secure behind walls of baked brick clad in shining copper. It shone like the sunrise from afar.

Farmers with wares and hunters bringing meat there could see the city sparkle on the horizon long before they could see the towers and temples. They were filled with awe as they trod the path that widened into a road leading to the shining city.

If you stand there now. all you will see Is barren desert and an occasional tree. The secure walls are no more than ancient relics slumbering below the desert floor. But these hidden things still sing the glorious story of Gilgimesh the king.

Sovereign of all the land and partly divine child of the gods. An arrogant man and surpassing all he ruled in strength and intelligence. Seemingly invincible no mortal man could challenge his command

Now Gilgimesh was two thirds mortal man. and one third divine A child conceived before the great flood during the time when the gods and their children had sexual intercourse with the daughters of mortal men.

The lady Rimat-Ninsun, a daughter of Utnapishtim carried Gilgimesh in her womb upon the ark of her father when the world was covered with water.

Gilgimesh was the third king of Urik after the flood. Nearly immortal, he watched the generations of mortal men come and go like the seasons of planting

Living interminable years Gilgimesh still lived in fear knowing he must lie down one day and sleep the unknowing slumber of his fathers before him.

Long life did not temper his stormy heart. Where some might seek understanding, He sought knowledge. becoming hardened cruel and lustful waiting for the end of his days.

Gilgimesh worked the people far beyond their powers. Building temples and towers. His interest waning before they were done. Leaving workmen unpaid and scaffolding rotting in the sun.

By an ancient right he could sleep with any woman on her wedding night. Taking virgin bride from hapless bridegroom. returning a harlot. Sated with the fire of nearly immortal love. Unimpressed, dissatisfied with her husbands earthly desire.

Gilgimesh was erratic. disappearing for months into a high tower overlooking the city. There he struggled to revive ancient powers and lost arts. Washed away in the waters of the flood

The people of Urik said to each other "What kind of king is our Gilgimesh? Is he a shepherd of his people, a protector of the weak?" They would sadly smile and shake their heads knowing in their hearts his true nature.

Their sorrow found words in their prayers ascending with the smoke of sacrifice from the temple of the goddess Aruru. She said to herself "It is not good that Gilgimesh brings such suffering to his people, my children."

She spoke To the other gods and goddesses saying: "Gilgimesh tramples the people of Urik like a wild ox. His desire knows no bounds ruining our daughters for marriage."

"His inconstancy leaves the people like sheep wandering on the steppe waiting for the wild beasts to decide upon whom to dine." Her face usually so tranquil was troubled as she spoke.

Other gods now spoke. "He seeks to revive the secrets washed away by the flood. His arrogance is boundless!" They crowded around Aruru relating the sins of Gilgimesh.

Ishtar, that sensuous goddess of love called to Aruru saying: "Come, leave the prattle of the others behind us and let us speak privately."

The two goddesses retired to a shaded glade to whisper together. Ishtar leaned toward Aruru and speaking softly said: "If Gilgimesh and I were to lay together his power would certainly be diminished."

Aruru's face grew cold as she made reply. "You consume those ill-fated souls who moan and sigh under your spell. Your love means destruction and death to mortals and living hell for Gilgimesh."

Ishtar, feigning indifference shrugged her slender shoulders. Then shaking her shining hair said, "I thought perhaps only a goddess could blunt the endless desire of this wild ox, In heat."

Aruru saw the gleam of carnality hidden deep in the eyes of Ishtar but realized her wanton proposal had some merit. She thanked the harlot goddess and politely refused her offer.

Retiring to a private spot Aruru thought to herself Gilgimesh ought to have an equal with whom to strive and n this fashion arrive at friendship and learn compassion.

The other gods and goddesses went looking for Aruru Saying among themselves Aruru made Gilgimesh. and set him to rule the men of the city He is cruel, capricious, With no moderation. Aruru must have pity and correct her creation.

They crowded about saying to her you created Gilgimesh now create another like him! Let stormy heart contend with stormy heart. That peace may flow when this wrong is right like the Euphrates past the city walls in the tranquil moonlight.

Hearing the words of the gods and the prayers of her people Aurur spat into the clay and called forth a living being to contend and bring balance and friendship to Gilgimesh the king.

ENKIDU

Tall was he and covered with hair. Yet exceedingly strong with a face that was fair to look upon. Innocent of the ways of men. Made bold and true of heart and spirit. Running like the wind, she created Enkidu.

She sat him down on the steppe far from the great city. There to run with the wild creatures. Growing in power and mastering pain. Unknowingly waiting for an unrevealed future hour foreseen and ordained.

In the morning Enkidu would come to the spring to drink with the other wild creatures. In the dusk they would return together to dip their mouths In the cool reflecting water.

The wild animals came to trust the creature Enkidu and approached him without fear. When he called to them they would hasten to come and draw near gathering about him warming him as he slept.

One day Enkidu came upon a trap. A pit excavated by a hunter. Deep within a wild creature struggled in vain to regain the freedom of the steppe.

Enkidu was comrade to this creature struggling in the pit. He used his hand and his wit to set his friend roaming again. Leaving the hunter an empty hole for all his effort.

THE HUNTER

The next morning standing over the empty trap. The old hunter scratched his head and shrugged his shoulders. Saying to his sons, "Mark my words a mighty creature did this."

Enkidu spent his days running with the herds that poured over the steppe. like moving water. Saving the wild creatures from the traps intended for their slaughter.

The old hunter was warming his bones beside the fire. His eldest son came in to him with tears in his eyes. He threw his weapon onto the floor and kicked it into the corner.

The old hunter rose up in surprise saying: "What troubles you so my son that you should treat the revered tool of your livelihood so disrespectfully?"

His eldest son said nothing at all. He sat down at the table with a face like thunder. Finally he turned to his father, saying: "I have no livelihood!"

The old hunter asked, "How can this be?" Now his eldest son chose to make reply saying: "This morning I went to fetch water and among the herds drinking was a man."

His eldest son continued speaking, saying: "Such a man you have never seen covered in hair but with a face fair to look upon with the strength of many men.

"Naked he was like Samugan god of the cattle. As powerful as Ninutra god of war. The hair covering his body is the color of golden grain."

The old hunter said to his Eldest son, "I have never seen such a creature or even heard of such a thing and I have been alive for many years." What shall we do?"

Calling his neighbors from round about and gathering his other sons with a shout the old hunter asked his relatives "How can we continue to live with no livelihood?"

They cried together "We cannot capture this wild man whatever we try he is too wise for our traps swiftly he ran from our bows There must be Someone who knows How to subdue him."

From the back of the group a stranger spoke bringing a spark of hope to all the starving hunters. "Go then to Urik and place your dilemma before the king."

The stranger continued "In the shining city Gilgimesh sits In glory and wisdom. With love and pity surpassing that of mortal man. He will strive To help us find a plan to remain alive."

"There amid the houses of the gods Gilgimesh The shining one, divine by nature resides in splendor and sits In judgment of all men. A shepherd of his people.

The old hunter pointing at his eldest son said "You are the only one who has seen this thing Go then and tell our troubles to Gilgimesh the king."

The eldest son set his feet upon the path leading to the city at the first light of the new day. He carried on his back what was left of their meat and pelts to sell at market.

At the first big village he traded and sold the meat and furs for silver and gold coins stamped with the image of Gilgimesh with whom he sought counsel.

He continued along the path. In the far distance he could see the shining of the mighty city of Urik. It was still many days walk from the path he trod.

At last the path started to widen into a road. The hunter was joined by throngs of people with their loads. Riding, walking and dragging their goods to the vibrant city.

He came at last to the vast city gate and marveled at the intricate engraving covering the copper clad entrenched walls of baked brick surrounding the city.

Entering the city he looked in wonderment at the temple of Anu king of all the gods He stood transfixed amid the dust and tumult of the people crowding the boulevard.

As he made his way to the palace of the king he passed the temple of Ninutra powerful god of war and Samugan the naked god of cattle.

He passed through parkland and open space past the lavish homes of wealthy merchants. He wondered in awe at the beauty of Urik. Until, at last he came to the palace gate.

Presenting himself to the palace guard he laid his predicament before that worthy gatekeeper. Begging for audience He cried out "Only Gilgimesh our wise king can give us discerning guidance!"

The guard bade him wait and went to plead his case before Gilgimesh. Returning inside the hour the guard said The king will hear you tomorrow.

After finding lodging the hunter went walking about the streets of the city. His eyes drank in the grandeur of Urik the work of Gilgimesh.

The next morning he presented himself at the gates of the palace. He was shown to the inner court where Gilgimesh sat in resplendence giving audience to his people.

Bowing low Before Gilgimesh The hunter said "One morning I went to fetch water and among the herds drinking was a man covered with hair naked as Samugan the god of cattle."

"This creature is as powerful as Ninutra ever victorious god of war. He runs with the herds of the steppe eating only vegetation and drinking only clear water."

"The animals are his friends He frees them from my traps. He helps them to climb out of the pits I dig. Because of him I am no longer a hunter."

"My revered father, also a hunter has lived many years. He has never seen or heard of a creature like this. My father despairs because we have no livelihood."

Gilgimesh spoke saying "Go to the temple of Ishtar the harlot goddess of love and fertility and return to your home taking with you a temple courtesan.'

"Take her to the spring from which this creature drinks. Let her show him her breasts and her feminine beauty Let her arouse his desire."

"Let him go to her so she can show him what a woman can do. After the two have lain together the animals of the steppe will shun him."

The hunter departed with profuse thankfulness from the presence of the king He entered the temple of Ishtar asking: "Is there one here who will accompany me?"

THE WHORE

Shamhat was a beautiful girl well past the age of marriage. Her face was delicate to look upon. Her eyes flashed with keen intelligence.

Despite her age, well past twenty men still stopped and turned to gaze when she passed in the street on her way to the marketplace.

Dedicated by her mother to the goddess Ishtar, Shamhat had gone to the temple before her first bleeding there to learn the arts of love.

While her sisters at home married and grew old Shamhat remained young and grew wealthy with her colleagues at the temple of the fertile goddess.

Her face unlined by the cares of motherhood. Her breasts still firm and supple, never having nursed a child. Her hips still invited Her smile still delighted.

Shamhat was indeed a beautiful girl but unhappy in her service to Ishtar. Never speaking of her private sorrow she faithfully discharged the duties of her office.

Through the fertility and beauty of her own feminine body the abundance of the goddess flowed to the people. The crops blossomed and cattle multiplied.

Shamhat understood all this. Yet, while her service at the temple was intimate, her heart ached. Each night she went alone to her bed.

There her tears fell like the spring rain. She cried: "Am I not more than beauty for the satisfaction of men's desiring?"

"Am I not more than beautiful breasts and a fertile womb? She said these words to herself In the secret darkness of her bedchamber.

"Each day I attend to the business of the goddess. I have intimate relations with men seeking the favor of Ishtar. Bestowing my favors I give unsullied love."

"Each night I go alone to my bedchamber. No husband clasps me in the night. No child delights my heart." I have No companion."

So when the hunter entered the House of Ishtar calling for a libertine to accompany him Shamhat cried out "I will go!" and ran to her bedchamber to dress for the journey.

They stopped at the marketplace to buy supplies for their pilgrimage Shamhat's face glowed with happiness as she followed the hunter through the city gate.

The first night the took a room at an inn. Shamhat made the hunter leave the room when she removed her robe and spread it over her body.

When the hunter returned, he looked upon her beauty in the light of the oil lamp, Extinguishing the light he lie down and reached for Shamhat.

Shamhat gently pushed the hunter away. She wrapped her robe close about her body. Turning her face to the wall away from the hunter.

Later, In their darkened chamber as they lay side by side listening to the sound of laughter from the great room the hunter spoke to Shamhat.

"Many men have doubtless seen your body and looked upon your breasts with desire. "Why then do you refuse me?" Am I not fair To look upon?

Shamhat replied: "You are indeed fair to look upon sir. If I were at the temple I would pray to be picked by you to express the bounty of the goddess."

"But" Shamhat continued "You are not in Ishtar's temple where women await the choice of men You are in the temple of Shamhat and must tolerate my discretion."

The hunter murmured aloud "So that is your name, Shamhat, please Forgive my impetuosity." Shamhat thought "He said my name. It is a beginning." And then they slept.

In the morning they rose long before the sun and departed the inn. About sunrise the hunter shot a bird. Shamhat built a fire.

Plucking the feathers the hunter prepared the fowl and cooked a delicious meal He placed It all before Shamhat saying "Eat, lady, as I delight in your beauty."

Tasting the meal Shamhat smiled to herself then said to him "Your words are sweet." She divided the portions, saying "you too must eat." and placed half before the hunter

The road narrowed into a path. When the second night fell Shamhat built a fire and the hunter caught a rabbit. They both ate with great relish.

In the dusk they watched the fire embers crumble to dust. Shamhat once again obliged the hunter to turn his head as she made her robe into a bed.

She bade him lie beside her saying: "We may find another kind of warmth to ignite. under the stars this night I pray you defer your ardor and hold me tight."

The hunter was a patient man used to making a plan and waiting for hours or days to entrap his prey. So it was With Shamhat.

He clasped her close in the cool air breathing in the scent of her hair and her skin. as he bridled his haste. his desire idled and grew chaste

And so they made their way to his home. Each day in all weathers. Glad not to be alone and talking together, Sleeping at night like innocent children.

As they walked the hunter came to marvel at her wit and intelligence When they came to a obelisk on the roadside erected by the king she could read the carved words.

No one in the village of the hunter could read or write in stone or clay When there were words they had to say a scribe would come from far away to create a contract.

She knew all the tales of the gods. She told the hunter of heavenly battles, the creation of mankind and the flood sent by the gods to wash away their troublesome harvest.

She spoke of her childhood in the great city and her pact with the harlot goddess When she asked about the dreams and hopes of the hunter. she listened.

He spoke of cold nights waiting beside empty traps He explained the pride of victory over a stronger larger creature. Hard work and rich rewards.

As they walked did his eye happen to stray past her face to her breasts? Did Shamhat feel a small tingle within when she saw the direction of his glance?

Perhaps that is why she favored the hunter with a smile instead of a frown. It might be why she bent down gratuitously a second time with a sigh.

If her hand brushed his fingers was it wrong they let it linger a little too long? Did she lean a little too near? Did she really need to whisper softly In his ear?

These are questions others might ask as every step brought them closer to the task at hand. The road was leading to a parting of their undeclared love.

Glancing up at the hunter Shamhat wondered at the new feelings growing within. The hunters consternation was plain to see as they drew closer to his village.

They stopped to camp one final night even though the hunter knew brisk walking would bring the village berth long before the light of dawn fell upon the earth.

In the glow of the fire Shamhat was more beautiful than even the most fevered imaginings of the hunter A pain burned deep within his soul.

Seeing the hunger in his eyes Shamhat was struck by remorse and regret. With hearts overflowing they sat in silence afraid of showing what they both knew.

Shamhat was wise enough to discern the improbability of lasting love between them. In spite of that she got up and sat next to the hunter. She was the first to speak.

Looking up at him Her face lit By the fading embers She said, "Dear sir you have been so kind to me in return I have refused you what I have given freely to others."

Taking his hand She continued, "I have teased your desire, but given no satisfaction delighting instead in your attraction to abstinent yearning. This night I would quench a burning fire."

12