There Once Was a Highwayman

Story Info
She is robbed, then saved by a highwayman..
9.8k words
4.75
54.3k
35
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
ronde
ronde
2,309 Followers

“M’Lady Elaine, it’s time to leave if we’re to make Barkley Hall by nightfall. The coachman is tending to the horses and will be ready to leave in an hour.”

The young woman stirred, then stretched and slowly opened her eyes.

“Oh, Millie, why must one wake before the cocks when traveling? This straw tic is hard as a board, and it seems as if I fell asleep only a short while ago. Why can’t they have feather tics in these inns?

“Feather tics be a pretty penny at the market. Innkeepers don’t part with their silver easily, especially when most travelers don’t mind the straw. Just consider yourself fortunate you didn’t get carried away by bedbugs. My cousin, Ruth, said this was a clean and proper inn, but I checked last night just to be sure. Now, get up so’s we can get you dressed.”

The young girl swung her feet to the floor and reached under the bed for the chamber pot. Millie turned away as Elaine lifted her nightdress and squatted over the plain, clay vessel. When the soft trickling sound ceased, Millie asked what Elaine would wear that day.

“I’ll wear the green today. I think it goes well with my hair.”

“Aye, Miss, those red curls will look nice against the green. There must be a bit of Irish in you somewhere along the line, I think. Now, out of your nightdress and into your underthings.”

Elaine pulled the soft linen garment over her head, and Millie silently nodded her approval at the young woman’s lush body. She thought of the years she had spent with this daughter of the Earl of Bekesbourne. Her first task had been wet nurse. Elaine’s mother had died bringing the tiny little girl into the world, and the Earl had gone in search of a woman to nurse his daughter. Millie had suffered the opposite fate. The child she carried as a result of the naive liaison with her master’s son was stillborn. Her breasts were tight and painfully full of milk, and they constantly leaked through her undergarments. It was a match forged by destiny; The Earl had made negotiations with her former employer, and she came to live at Balmore Grange. Tiny Elaine nuzzled Millie’s turgid nipple for only a second before wrapping her lips around it and beginning to suckle. The relief from the painful fullness was nearly as nice as the feeling of a baby’s soft cheek against her breast.

Through the last twenty years, Millie had watched the tiny baby begin to walk, had seen her through the normal childhood illnesses, and had been the one to tell her the ways of women when her time came. The baby who nursed at her breasts had matured into a woman of full, sensuous curves sculpted under milk-white, satin skin. Only one issue caused Millie a moment of concern. The Earl had never re-married, and Elaine had become both the daughter he had and the son he desired. While Millie was teaching her the finer points of etiquette and poise, the Earl was teaching her to ride and the skills of the foil and saber. It was at least fortunate Millie had convinced the Earl that girls simply must ride sidesaddle. It would never do to have Elaine ride astride. What would people say? Elaine had become a woman with spirit and a fearless outlook on life. If she rode as a man, men and women alike would question her femininity.

“I hate these pantaloons.”

Elaine slipped one slender leg into the light garment, then the other and pulled it to her waist. She tied the drawstring, and then adjusted the overlap between her thighs to cover herself.

“They are so hot this time of year, and they make me itch.”

“But, my Lady, you simply cannot be undressed in public. It is not ladylike.”

“Who would know? My dress covers me to the ground. I don’t wear them at home, and I do not see why I should be forced to do so today.”

“I should die of embarrassment were the coachman to see your ankle when he helps you into the coach, and so should you. Now, hurry. We must be on our way.”

The coach made it’s way from the inn just as the first rays of the sun were peeping over the giant oaks that lined the road. Larks sang to the two women in the summer morning, and Elaine reflected on the reason for the trip. She was to meet the man who would become her husband.

The union with Percival, the eldest son of the Earl of Dunmore, had been arranged by her father. The marriage was to insure her future security. The Earl’s lands stretched for a day’s walk in any direction from Barkley Hall, and sheep, cattle, horses, and field crops flourished on the rich soil. When her father died, his more meager estate would pass to Elaine’s husband, and the combined land holding would make her husband a very rich man indeed. Elaine would not want for anything, nor would her children.

Elaine was excited by the prospect of marriage and children, but apprehensive about her future husband. Percival was fifteen years her senior and they had never before met. Would he be a kind husband and good father? Elaine knew of many women who lived a life of submission to their husbands, and knew she could never be happy in that role. Her heart desired the love of an equal partner and a place by his side in the affairs of life. Millie had snorted at these girlish ideas.

“Most girls would consider themselves fortunate to marry into such a wealthy family. Your father is only looking to your future. He will not be able to provide for you forever, you know, and since he has no heir, he must also look to the future of Balmore Grange. By marrying Percival, you will be well cared for, and will pass your childhood home to your oldest son. If Percival does not grow to love you, it will not be such a loss as you believe. You will have your children, and I will be there to serve you. It is not such a bad life to think of.”

Still, Elaine had listened to her father speak of her mother in endearing terms, and dreamed of a husband who though of her in the same way. Since becoming a woman, her thoughts had been of sharing life with a man who treated her as a treasure, and upon whom she could lavish the gift of her own love. Elaine sighed. By late afternoon, she would meet Percival and would know to which life fate had directed her.

These daydreams had taken her away from the rough jouncing of the coach until their forward motion ceased. Elaine peered from he window to determine why they were not moving.

A sleek chestnut stallion stood in the center of the road and blocked the way. The sight of the rider caused Elaine to catch her breath. He was tall, muscular, and dressed in the trappings of a nobleman. Only the brace of pistols he pointed at the coachman, and the mask that covered his face indicated he was anything but a fellow traveler. The sound of his deep, rich voice caused a tingle to race through her body.

“Good coachman, please dismount from your perch and open the door for your passengers, for I would do business with them on this fine morning.”

Old Eric’s voice quavered, but he tried to be brave.

“Aye, and no doubt that business is relieving us of our silver. Be gone, you bastard son of a feral bitch, and let us pass, or-“

“Or what, old man? Would you draw your sword against my pistols? I assure you that your life will last longer if you do as I say. I mean none of you any harm. I only seek to make my living.”

Eric wrapped the reins around the brake lever and slowly climbed down from the seat.

“We have nothing of value, sir. My passengers are but a girl and her servant.”

“Well, trot them out. If you are indeed bare of valuables, at least give me the pleasure of a beautiful sight on this morning.”

Millie was flushed with fear and cautioned her charge against any rash acts.

“Mistress, do not attempt to resist. These highwaymen are ruthless in their quest for riches. They think nothing of killing everyone and then robbing them at their leisure. They have been known to rape women travelers and leave them naked on the highway.”

At that moment, a masked face peered through the window of the coach.

“Ah, the mother hen and her little chick. Do me the favor of exiting your coop that I may have a better look.”

Millie and Elaine were soon standing on the grass of the roadway and looking up at the tall stranger. Elaine’s heart fluttered, whether from fear or from the appearance of this man she could not tell. He had seemed so tall on his bay horse. Afoot, he was still tall, his body, strong, and his voice resonated deep inside her when he spoke. The mask that covered his face only added to his excitement and mystery.

“Well then, let’s have a look at you. I see the old hen is not so old, and would give any young cock a twinge. Yes, you are a woman fair to the eyes, and if my guess is correct, an able companion between the sheets. And the chick, well, were that I had time to enjoy your company. We might find ourselves compatible in…certain ways. But, alas, I have an engagement this evening, and must be quickly on my way.”

Elaine’s trepidation turned to anger upon hearing his lewd proposition.

“Sir, I am young, but not so young as to misunderstand your meaning. When my intended learns of this, he will make short work of you, I am sure.”

“Ah, so the young chick is soon to join a rooster. ‘Tis a pity, a pity indeed, that I must pass such beauty to another without sampling her pleasures. Alas, such is the life of a man of His Majesty’s roadways.”

Elaine thrust out her chin and her chest heaved in anger.

“You mean such is the life of a common thief. I would die before I allowed you to touch even one hair of my head, much less let you to have your way with me.”

“Tut tut, do not worry yourself. Your innocence is safe from me. Still…, it would be a shame to go away without something to remember.”

The highwayman drew a gleaming dirk from the scabbard at his belt.

“Perhaps I have time to appreciate some small part of your beauty.”

A chill shivered through Elaine’s spine when the shining blade slipped under lacing of her bodice cover. She felt the coolness of the metal through the thin material of her dress, and shivered again. With one quick flick of his wrist, the highwayman severed the tie. With another equally casual stroke, he cut the garment from her shoulders and tossed it to the ground. The tops of Elaine’s breasts shone milky white in the sunlight. Only the neckline of the bodice prevented the man from seeing her nipples, but Elaine felt them tighten and press against her chemise. She thought it odd that a reflex she normally associated with her most secret daydreams should be brought on by this stranger.

“Such a bosom should be seen by one who may appreciate the sight. Your husband-to-be is a fortunate man, indeed. I shall not rob him of his pleasure in making you a woman. I shall, instead, be satisfied with this locket.”

The blade of the dirk lifted the chain at her throat, lightly pulled, and the locket settled into the satin cleft between her breasts. The highwayman lifted it from the soft nook with a gloved hand.

“I think I shall not sell this bauble. I shall keep it to remind me of our meeting, and of my great loss. My morning has not been profitable in a worldly sense, but I carry away a vision to treasure always. I bid you good day, and a safe journey.”

In a second, the man had leaped to the back of the horse, wheeled the beautiful animal, and thundered down the road.

Millie fairly exploded when she finally let out the breath she had been holding.

“Lady Elaine, I feared for your life when he drew his dagger. Surely the angels were with us today to have him leave without doing any mischief.”

“Millie, you’re as timid as a mouse. If he had even begun to lay hands on me or you, I would have given him a taste of this.”

From the folds of her dress, Elaine produced a small dagger.

“Mistress, ladies do not carry daggers secreted in their clothing. Haven’t I taught you that?”

“I suppose you would rather be one of the women of which you spoke lying naked and fouled on the roadside?”

“Well, no…, but it just is not something a lady should do.”

‘No harm has been done, except for the loss of my locket, and it can be replaced. Let us be on our way.”

The coach trundled along the roadway. Millie dozed while Elaine thought of the highwayman. She had not been so afraid as angered that the lout would accost them. Had she been as terrified as Millie, Elaine would not have been able to examine the situation so carefully. It was of her impressions of the man that she pondered.

The highwayman had been imposing, to be sure, but his demeanor had intrigued her. He seemed to hold her in high regard; at least it seemed so when Elaine considered the tales of other travelers she had heard. His only untoward act had been to expose her bosom, and his words had been flattering rather than crude.

She wondered what had led him to this station in life, that of a common thief, when he obviously was educated and his clothing and mount indicated a certain amount of personal wealth. Where did he go? Did he live nearby? Mostly she wondered at her reaction to his appearance and voice. She would have consulted Millie about these feelings, but Elaine knew the woman would only begin blustering again about their fortunate escape.

The coach rolled under the roofed entrance to Barkley Hall at dusk. Elaine and Millie were both glad to stretch their legs after being confined to the narrow vehicle. They had not stopped, except to water the horses, since the robbery.

They were greeted by a young servant girl who introduced herself as Rebecca. Elaine thought Rebecca was pretty, and wondered why she kept her head down as if in disgrace. Even when she asked the woman if Percival would receive them, Rebecca did not look up to answer.

“Not at this time. The master is working in his study, but he will see you for dinner. He has invited a few guests, that you may meet the other people of high station in this area. I will show you to your rooms now, that you may rest after your trip.”

Rebecca ushered them through the massive oak doorway, down a gleaming wood-planked hall, and up a grand, spiraling staircase to their room. When another servant brought their luggage, Millie began unpacking Elaine’s things. Elaine gazed out the window at the rolling fields of sheep and waving stands of oats and hay.

“Millie, does it not strike you as odd that neither the Earl nor Percival came to meet us? Father does not invite guests and then ignore their arrival. After all, I am to become Percival’s wife. Would it not be proper to greet us? And why should he invite other guests on this night of our first meeting.”

“My Lady, don’t let your imagination carry you away. I’m certain they both have much to do to run this estate, and Percival probably wishes to impress his friends with his betrothed. They will see us at dinner, and you will see your good fortune.”

At the appointed hour, Rebecca tapped on their door. They followed her down the staircase to the dining hall. Elaine had grown up in a wealthy household, but had never seen the likes of this table. Fine porcelain, crystal, and silver made up the place settings, while the table itself was a massive slab of polished walnut that would have easily seated thirty.

They walked the walls of the room gazing at the portraits of the ancestors of the Earl and at the swords and shields bearing the family crest. Two servants brought in several bottles of wine and giant silver bowls of fresh fruit. This will prove to be a feast beyond my experience, thought Elaine. She was examining a suit of steel armor attached to a stand in the passage to the sitting room when she heard a man’s voice. At last, Percival had come to meet her.

“That such a fair lass should be interested in such a harsh instrument of war is amazing indeed.”

Elaine turned toward the sound.

“Percival?”

She didn’t offer her hand, but he lifted it anyway, and held it while he spoke.

“Yes, and you must be Elaine. My father sends his apologies. He shall not join us tonight, for he is away on pressing business. And please forgive me for not granting you audience upon your arrival, but matters of the estate kept me working in my study. The servants are all such ninnies, and I must make all the decisions else the whole thing would come to a stop. I also need tell you I must leave early in the morning to inspect some of the far away fields. We will not see each other again until tomorrow afternoon.”

It was disconcerting to Elaine that Percival did not look at her face. His gaze flitted back and forth from her bosom to the swell of her hips. She gently withdrew her hand from his.

“I know the affairs of gentlemen can be pressing at times. No apology is needed. As for tomorrow morning, I should appreciate the time for rest after my journey.”

“Well, then, would you care for a glass of wine while we wait for my guests?”

The other guests began to arrive, and Elaine was deluged with names and titles that she forgot as soon as the person left her vision. After the third Baron of something or other released her hand and walked to the wine table, Elaine realized none of them knew her name. Percival introduced her only as “my bride-to-be”. She reasoned the first time could have been an oversight. Three had to be intentional.

So it continued until the wine table was surrounded by men talking in low tones that erupted into the occasional bout of soft laughter. Elaine thought it odd that none of the men brought their wives. It was unthinkable that Percival should have excluded them from the invitation, yet none were present. She had no time to ponder this observation. An elderly servant entered the room and announced that dinner would be served.

When all were at their designated chairs, servants brought silver platters piled high with venison, pheasant, and thick slices of ham. They left, only to return with more silver bowls of various vegetables and wood breadboards bearing fresh baked loaves. Percival inhaled the fragrance of the first wine cork, sampled the deep red liquid, and smiled. The servants quickly filled the crystal goblets at each place setting.

Elaine was seated at the very end of the table; Percival occupied the Master’s place at the other end. This was proper, as her chair was always reserved for the lady of the house, the station to which she would enter in a short time. At Percival’s side, as if ready to do his every bidding stood Rebecca, her eyes downcast as when she greeted Elaine and Millie.

To Elaine’s left sat the Baron of Brampton. The portly man of about forty had already drunk more wine than he could handle. He kept bumping her knee with his. Elaine noticed that, although he apologized profusely with each intrusion upon her person, a wicked gleam shone in his eye. That gleam made her shudder.

On her right was a man far more interesting, at least in her opinion. He appeared to be a little older than she, and Elaine was taken by his countenance. He was tall, even when seated, and had broad, muscular shoulders. His size was notable, but his face would be forever impressed in her memory. The man seemed to have no expression other than a pleasant smile, and his eyes - she had never seen such eyes. They were steel-grey and piercing, and seemed to touch her very soul. They spoke of intelligence and laughter, but from time to time, when Percival’s voice rose above the clamor of conversation and silver utensils clinking on china, they went as cold as the ice on a winter-frozen pond.

Elaine was also impressed because this man was the only one of the six present who bothered to ask her name.

“I have a dreadful memory, I’m afraid, and it shames me greatly to ask this question. I’m certain Percival gave me your name, but, alas, I’ve forgotten it. Would you please allow me the pleasure of knowing the name of the beautiful creature with whom I’m enjoying this feast?”

Elaine felt her face flush. His voice was as penetrating as his gaze. She felt his words deep in her chest.

ronde
ronde
2,309 Followers