Thorne Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
kalamazoo707
kalamazoo707
1,664 Followers

The meeting went on for another hour after which, Ethan, Thorne and the three guards met. Leon went over to Barb and sat beside her.

"How's it going?" he asked.

"Fine... Leon, how do you do this?" Barb asked.

"Do what exactly?" Leon asked.

"This! I didn't ask for this!" Barb said and then she pulled back. "You know what? Forget that I said anything. I'm fine. Thorne is... Thorne."

"What about the baby?" Leon asked.

"It's fine too." Barb replied absently as she looked around the room.

"It?" Leon asked slightly disturbed.

"Yes it." Barb replied. "I don't know whether it's a boy or girl."

Leon couldn't help but notice the difference in attitude between Louise and Barb. Louise always referred the baby as 'him' or 'the baby'. She and Nathan were already bonding with their baby whereas Barb seemed to be trying to deny the existence of hers. He hoped that when the time came that her mothering instincts would come into play.He didn't address the baby issue, but brought up another question.

"Why do you have to be such a hard ass? I can see that you want to reach out but you stop yourself from doing it."

"You don't know what you're talking about." Barb said. "And I'll thank you to mind your own business."

She walked away before Leon could say anything and headed over to Louise and Nathan.

"I have a question for you." She said not giving them the chance to say hello.

"Sure, but first I have something for you." Louise said. "I made several mobiles for the baby's crib and bassinet and made some for you too."

Barb bit back a snide comment, took the offered gift bag and looked inside. The smell of freshly baked bread made her salivate. The snide comment was forgotten as she inhaled the aroma of the bread.

"It's the cheese kind isn't it?" Barb asked.

"Yes and there's a crock of butter in there too." Louise replied. "The mobiles are in the packages on top."

Barb sat down, her question forgotten as she took one of the packages out of the bag and opened it.

"You made this?" Barb asked as she looked at the brightly colored mobile.

"Well," Louise replied. "I had a lot of help from Nathan on that one. It needed an architect to put it together."

"It's great... Thanks."

Nathan watched Louise and Barb talk. Once again he saw a glimpse of the woman that Barb could be if she would let herself. He felt badly for the Yancy siblings. He knew that they hadn't lost hope that Barb would not necessarily become a different person, but a happier one. He watched as the Barb that he knew and disliked resurfaced.

"So, what nanny agency are you going to use?" Barb asked as she sat the gift bag on the floor.

"We're not using a nanny service." Louise replied. "Why would we need one?"

"Who's going to help you then?" Barb asked.

"Help us do what?" Nathan asked. "We'll raise our baby together and if we need a night out, there are plenty of aunts and uncles to help out."

Barb found it hard to believe that Nathan Sinclaire would change a dirty diaper, but then again; maybe he would. But in any case, her idea of using Louise and Nathan as part of her argument for a nanny had gone to hell.

"Thanks for the gifts." She said her voice tight. She turned around to see Noel looking at her with something akin to disgust. He had made his point; she wasn't going anywhere near him or his damned studio. But as soon as was feasible, he was leaving and she didn't care what Thorne had to say about it.

**

Noel watched and listened without offering an opinion. He was relieved that while he had a headache, it was nowhere near as intense as the one he had experienced a few nights before. He looked from face to face taking note of the expressions. His gaze stopped on Juliette for just a moment and then continued until it rested on Barb's.

He realized that had she not been Thorne's mate and with child that he could have and would have killed her. He saw her as a threat to the eyes in the picture and had reacted as any male protecting his mate would. He hoped that she got the message and stayed away from him. His next thought was that this was the side of him that his father tried unsuccessfully to bring out. In a way, he had succeeded Noel thought bitterly.

He was going to leave right after the meeting, but decided to stay and watch how people interacted. He watched Barb as she talked to her brother and then her sister. Like Thorne, he saw that they loved her and didn't understand why she acted the way that she did. For a few minutes, he saw another side of Barb appear and then disappear. He shook his head; Thorne had a very long eternity in front of him.

The one thing that he had decided was that as soon as the crisis was over, he was buying a house. He was ready for a place where he didn't have to keep the eyes of his mate covered. Having seen enough, Noel started to leave; but was stopped by a masculine voice.

"Excuse me." Leon said just as Noel was leaving.

Noel turned around and looked at Leon.

"Can I help you?" he asked.

"No." Leon replied. "I just wanted to introduce myself. "I'm Leon Yancy, Barb is my sister."

"Noel Blackwell." Noel said extending his hand.

Leon gave it a firm shake after accepting it and released it.

"This is some place you have here." Leon said looking around.

"Actually this is Thorne's home." Noel replied. "I'm staying here temporarily. After this business is over with, I'll be moving."

Noel found himself relaxing in Leon's presence, but didn't understand it. Usually he didn't trust new people, but there was something about Leon that soothed him much like the eyes in the picture did. But it was different in a way that he couldn't put his finger on. He felt a kinship to Leon that made him both nervous and excited. He hadn't felt that way about anyone other than Thorne and the eyes since the farmer's son so many centuries ago.

"Do you have a spot in mind?" Leon asked.

"No, not really." Noel replied. "I only made the decision today."

Leon liked Noel. He had the sense that he was as straightforward as Thorne, but he was a much softer version of him. He also realized that while that was true, Noel was capable of great violence; but he hadn't always been that way.

"Well since we're related, why don't I introduce you to the rest of the family?" Leon asked. "Who knows? We all may end up under the same roof."

Noel hesitated for a moment and then followed Leon across the room. He was introduced to Kevyn and Patrick first. By the end of thirty minutes, he had met all of the Yancy's who were there and their mates. When he got to Louise, he shielded himself recognizing her as the empathy/seer. If she noticed, she gave no indication of it. Leon, he realized was an empath as well; but to a lesser degree.

"Last, but not least," Leon said, "Is my sister Juliette and her mate Hans. We have a brother, but he lives on the east coast."

Noel was only half listening. His eyes were glued on Juliette's eyes. They were so much like the eyes in the portrait, but different. The eyes in the portrait were a warmer brown and Juliette's eyes didn't soothe him. He wanted to know how Juliette was related to the owner of the eyes.

Aware that he was staring, he jerked himself back to attention. He found Hans regarding him with cool eyes.

"Your mate is very lovely." Noel said with a slight incline of his head. "All of your mates are lovely." He added.

"Thank you." Hans said pulling Juliette closer to his side.

"If you will excuse me," Noel said, "I have some matters to attend to. Leon, it was a pleasure to meet you. Thank you for introducing me to our extended family. I hope that we will meet again under better circumstances."

Noel walked away his mind on the relationship between Juliette and the woman in the picture. He had meant it when he told Leon that he hoped to meet him again. He liked Leon's calm demeanor and felt that he was someone that he could talk to.

***

Barb stared at Leon and Noel as they talked. It was the first time that the two men had met and yet they were talking like friends. She watched as Leon took Noel around the room and introduced him to the others. Leon was being Leon, but Barb saw it as something else-he was kissing ass.

Even as she thought it, she knew that she was wrong and began to wonder if she really didn't owe Noel an apology. It didn't change the fact that she wanted him out, but going into his room uninvited was rude; even for her.

Noel was almost to the stairway to his suites when she caught up to him.

"Noel-wait." She called after him.

Noel stopped, turned and looked at her with cold green eyes.

"What do you want?" he asked.

"I want to clear the air." Barb said. "I won't lie and say that I'm glad that you're here; because I'm not. I won't even pretend that I like you because I don't. But- I do owe you an apology. I shouldn't have gone into your rooms and it won't happen again."

"I don't care for you either." Noel said after several seconds. "But you are my brother's mate and mother to his child. I will treat you with respect because of those things. I also expect to be treated with respect..."

"I..."

"I'm not finished." Noel said sounding more like Thorne than he realized. "I also expect that you will show some semblance of respect to others that pass through these door and those who live here. I'm talking about Felix. I don't care if he's the help or who he is. He is entitled to respect as is everyone and everything that breathes. As for your apology, it is accepted; now please excuse me."

The meeting with the security guards was over by the time Barb got back to the living room. Ethan and Thorne were standing side by side, but Thorne was talking.

"Adrianna, Grant and Jordan are going to begin searching for a hide-a-way large enough for all of us. The location will be subject to approval by Ethan and me. As soon as we have a place, you will all be alerted. We don't need to remind you to keep alert and not to let your mates go anywhere alone. Mates, if you see or hear anything suspicious, please say something. Also, please remind any children that they are not to go with anyone other than someone from the family. It might even be a good idea to take them out of school until the danger is past."

Juliette inwardly groaned. She could hear Victor's shouts of joy and Wanda's cries of disappointment. Maybe if a sleepover was arranged...The idea to arrange a luncheon just for the women occurred to her. She still had questions about her new life and she was certain that Barb probably did too. They hadn't all been together to talk as sisters in weeks.

After the meeting, she approached Barb.

"Hey, how are you feeling?" She asked.

"Fine I guess." Barb replied. "How are the kids?

"They're doing great. Hans has been really good for them." Juliette replied. "I was thinking that it would be nice if we could all get together and talk."

"About what?" Barb asked warily.

"I don't know about you, but there's so much that I don't know about this world." Juliette said. "I still have a lot of questions so I thought that maybe we could all get together for lunch. We could ask Rachel and Katrina to come and they could fill in the blanks for us."

Barb was about to say no and then changed her mind.

"Sure. Why not?"

***

The 'terrible five' were just beginning to surface by the time Olivia made it to the house. Nell and her mother Mary were warming up blood in the microwave when she walked in.

"Where have you been?" Nell asked.

"Out." Olivia replied sharply.

"I see how it is." Mary said her tone cool. "You get to break daddy's rules whenever you want..."

"Has Albert figured out where we're going tonight?" Olivia interrupted.

"He hasn't said anything." Nell replied.

For the most part, Nell liked Olivia in spite of whom and what she was. She also knew that out of all of them, she was the one that Olivia felt the safest with. Neither woman had any illusions as to the true nature of their relationship. For Nell, family would always come first. She would kill Olivia without batting an eye if she had to.

Olivia knew and accepted this so she never fully trusted Nell. She hated vampires, but if she had to choose one to like, it would have been Nell. Mary on the other hand, she could leave. The woman often forgot what her place was in the scheme of things. The questioning of her whereabouts was a case in point.

Of the males, it was Harry that made her nervous. There was an anger and hatred in him that Olivia didn't understand, nor did she care to. Of all of them, he was the most likely to kill her and not care about the consequences. William wanted her. He was the one who would turn her instead of killing her. Love had nothing to do with it. It was the idea of turning the daughter of the leader of the hunters that partially motivated him. It wasn't that she found him unattractive, it was quite the opposite; but he was a vampire and that made him unacceptable. Albert, the father to Nell, William and Harry was an enigma to her. He rarely spoke, but watched and listened to everything that went on around him. He would also kill her without thinking about it.

Olivia had once asked her father about the wisdom of keeping a family of vampires together on the same team, but as always; he got angry.

"I warned you about questioning me!" he snapped.

"Dad, you keep telling me that I have to start thinking like a leader, but when I do; you get offended. I'm not questioning your wisdom. I'm just trying to understand your rationale."

Rufus had looked at her, took a deep breath and grumbled an apology. The fact of the matter was that he didn't want Olivia to lead the group. In his mind, it was a position meant for a male. Olivia in his opinion was too soft hearted and he hated her separatist attitude. He could only imagine the changes that she would make once she took over.

Olivia looked at the women and gave them a small smile.

"I'll be ready in an hour." She said and walked away.

Nell and Mary looked at each other, shrugged and continued warming the blood. If they were going out, they needed to be well fed or there could be a problem.

***

Harry stood in front of the mirror examining his chest. Fury rose as it did every time he looked at the large scars that surrounded where his heart was. There wasn't a day or night that passed that he didn't think about the bitch that had stabbed him and left him for dead. In her panic, she had missed hitting him dead center and didn't realize that the knife wasn't long enough. But still, she had done serious damage to him. If Nell hadn't doubled back, he would have died; but not from the wounds. The sun would have killed him.

After Nell found him, they went into hiding. Mary stayed with him and took care of him while Nell, William and his father went in search of the woman who had tried to kill him. They had been gone for three days before they came back barely with their lives. William was carrying Nell who had been seriously injured in the fight for the girl.

"What happened?" Mary asked when they came in.

"Someone took the bitch in." William replied. "It was another vampire."

"He did this to three of you?" Mary asked shocked.

"He a lot older than us." Albert replied. "And we ain't fed either."

"Food is tied to the tree." Mary said. "Harry gonna be alright so eat."

"Food" was four trappers and an Indian that Mary had compelled to follow her. There had been others, but the bodies had already been disposed of.

Harry shook himself from the memory and ran a fingertip over the large, raised scars. In his mind, he knew that one day he would see her again. He didn't consciously look for her, but he knew, that one day when he wasn't expecting it, he would find her.

By six pm, Olivia and the five were in a limo and headed for the shops. They were already dressed for their night on the town and Olivia had already reminded them that they were to keep a low profile.

"Any sex is to be consensual and no one is to be killed." She said looking into every face. "They don't know that we're here and I want to keep it that way."

"I'm not a fucking child!" Harry snarled.

Olivia ignored him and continued.

"Albert, what's the name of this club?"

"The Emerald." Albert replied his tone cool. "It has very liberal rules. Almost anything goes except murder and humans cannot be compelled to play with us. They must be able to give verbal consent before we drink from them or fuck them."

"Sounds good." Olivia replied.

By ten pm, the group was standing in line at the club. It wasn't long before Nell was dancing with the human male that was standing behind her. Albert stood behind Mary with his arms around her making it clear that she wasn't available. William was looking around enjoying being out of the house. He was tapping his foot to the blaring music thinking about how much music and style of dress had changed over the centuries.

He wasn't complaining, he liked the way in which the females flaunted their bodies. The fewer garments they wore, the better. He stole a glance at Olivia who was swaying to the music and fought the urge to take her into his arms and dance with her. As of late; he had been becoming more conflicted about his feelings for her. He turned his gaze away from her and looked at Harry. He knew that Harry hated Olivia and would try to kill her the first time that she left her guard down. The question was what he was going to do if and when that happened. William sighed, closed his eyes and let the beat of the music wash the thoughts out if his head.

Harry looked behind him. The line had grown considerably. It circled around the building and down the block. At the end of the long line, Harry saw a woman. His heart pounded and the scars surrounding it itched. He knew that it wasn't her, but it looked like her. He looked around to see what the others were doing.

Olivia was talking to the woman in front of her, Nell was still dancing with the human male who would become her midnight snack, William was standing with his eyes closed and his parents were looking forward not paying attention to him.

After a last glance, Harry slipped out of line and made his way toward the woman. The closer he got to her, the more he realized that she wasn't the woman that he thought she was. But he wanted her regardless.

He sidled up to her after making sure that she was alone.

"Hello darlin'." He said with a smile that melted the heart of any woman who saw it and this woman was no exception.

"Hello." She said looking up at him and smiling.

"Mind if I keep you company?" Harry asked smiling back at her.

"Umm sure!" The woman replied not believing her luck.

"Thank you, my name is Abel, what's yours?" Harry asked stepping even closer to the woman and inhaling her scent.

"Joanie." She replied.

"It's a pleasure to meet you." Harry said softly his dark eyes glittering. "Why are you here alone? It isn't safe for a beautiful woman to come to a place like this alone."

He could have cared less, but he wanted her to feel at ease with him. As he listened to her long drawn out story about doing something adventurous, he kept an eye out for the others. Finally, he had heard enough of her prattle. He wanted her to use her mouth for other things.

Now that she was at ease with him, Harry slipped into her mind and compelled her to go for a walk with him. Fifteen minutes later, he was back in line with his family and Olivia. None of them seemed to have missed his absence. If they had, they would have come looking for him.

An hour later, they were finally in the club.

****

Louise was napping on the couch when her eyes snapped open. Nathan walked in just as she was sitting up.

"I know." He said softly, "I felt it too."

kalamazoo707
kalamazoo707
1,664 Followers