Thorne Ch. 12

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
kalamazoo707
kalamazoo707
1,665 Followers

"I agree that you would have had nothing to gain by betraying us- it wouldn't have made sense. But I also maintain that it was no one from my family which leaves a stranger. If that was the case it could have been anyone."

"True," Ethan replied, "but let me ask you this- why was your father so quick to believe that we betrayed him? Why were you so quick to believe it? Why didn't one of you ask us instead of blindly attacking us? If you had, your father and brother would still be alive. The only one that tried to make any sense was Noel."

"Noel?" Thorne asked. "What about him?"

"He was the only one not participating in the fight. That's what saved his life. He kept screaming for us to stop. By the time it was over, it was too late."

"He doesn't remember being there," Thorne said. "He says that he stayed with mother."

"Well unless he has a twin, he was there," Ethan replied. "Why would he say that?"

"I don't know - unless he knows who the traitor was. I'm not going to go into a lot of detail, but my family has and had issues. I think that he doesn't remember because he doesn't want to. And no I don't believe it was him before you ask," Thorne said. "But... I always thought that there was something not quite right about that night..."

"So instead of sitting down with us and talking about it; you fucked with us? I'm sorry but that's immature and stupid," Ethan said.

"Add that to the list of stupid and immature things that I've done," Thorne said with a grim smile.

"Look, I apologize," Ethan said. "I'm in no position to call you or anyone else stupid and immature. God only knows the stupid and horrible things I've done. The important thing is we're talking now. Thorne- do you believe me when I say that my family did not betray yours?"

"I believe you," Thorne replied. "And for the record, so does my mother. She said the same thing that you did- our fathers were too good of friends to have betrayed each other. But- I am determined to find out who did."

"They could be dead," Ethan said.

"Then so be it," Thorne replied as he stood up. "But I want to know. I also think that Noel is the key and that in due time he will remember. Ethan, I owe you and your family an apology. You are right in saying that not coming to you was stupid and immature on my part. Working with you these past weeks has been an honor and a pleasure. I would like to open my homes to you and yours and take you under my protection. I would be honored if our families were to reunite and be as friends, allies and family."

"It's about damned time," Ethan said as he stood and extended his hand. He waited until Thorne took it and spoke. "Any past transgressions are no more- your apology is accepted. Working side by side with you reminded me of our fathers and how they worked together. I accept the offer of your homes and protection and in return I offer my homes and protection to you and yours. I am honored that your family has once again joined with mine for the protection of those we hold dear."

Thorne gave Ethan's hand a hard squeeze and released it.

"This calls for a drink," Ethan said, "What's your pleasure?"

"You got any scotch?" Thorne asked.

"I just happen to have a bottle of Duncan Taylor cask strength Scotch Whiskey- will that do?"

Ethan poured the drinks, handed a glass to Thorne and proposed a toast. "Sounds good," Thorne replied, "straight, if you please."

"To new friendships, alliances, and the safety of our loved ones," Ethan said.

They clinked glasses, downed their drinks and sat down. The next topic of discussion was the reunion dinner.

"I would suggest the club," Thorne said, "but I don't think that's a good idea."

"Probably not," Ethan agreed. "Intel says that there are still a few hunters around. My chef has a restaurant that he only opens on special occasions. We could have it there."

"Is it easily defendable?" Thorne asked.

"I'll tell you what, why don't we go over there and you can see for yourself. If you don't think it's satisfactory, we'll look for another place."

Second later they were standing in front if Caesar's.

"You could have just told me yes," Thorne said as he looked around.

"If the situation were reversed, I would have wanted to see it so no problem. What do you think?"

"I think it's fine," Thorne replied still looking around. "When do we do this?"

"This is now Sunday morning- how about Friday night?" Ethan asked.

"That will work," Thorne replied.

"I'll let Caesar know and, if you don't mind, I'll let him plan the menu."

****

Thorne went home feeling better than he had in a long time. The only blip in his otherwise decent day was the talk that he had to have with Barb about turning. He also had to tell her when the reunion dinner was. As he walked to her room, he wondered why some of the Yancy's had power in spades while some of them seemed to have none. He tapped on her door and walked in.

Barb stopped what she was doing and looked at him. Was it time for the nightly chat with daddy already? She sat the book that she had been reading aside and waited.

"The reunion dinner is Friday evening," Thorne said as he pulled a chair up beside the bed. "We've already discussed the possible ramifications of your not joining, so I won't repeat them. I do have another subject that we need to discuss."

Barb squirmed. She didn't like the sound of this. She had been hoping that Thorne would say goodnight to the baby and be gone leaving her in relative peace. The fact that he pulled up a chair told her that this wasn't going to be the case.

"Before we continue, I would like to speak with our son."

Barb repositioned herself and watched as Thorne went through the now familiar routine of greeting the baby. She could almost say the words with him, but she didn't. When he was through, he moved back to the chair and looked at her. She met his gaze with one of her own and wondered when he was going to get to the reason for his extended visit.

"As you know," he said, "Your sister Louise is full vampire. Your other sisters are not. Since the hunter issue..."

"I'm not turning," Barb said before he could go any further. "It's bad enough that I have to live forever but I won't become one of you!"

"Do you not care about that child within you at all?" Thorne asked. "Just once can you think beyond your own wants and needs? I don't make this suggestion lightly and I wouldn't have brought it up if it weren't important. Wait- is it because you think that I have to be the one to turn you?"

"I never pretended that I wanted this baby!" Barb shot back. "And yes, I'm pregnant because of choices that I made! I'm immortal because of those same decisions but that doesn't mean that I have to turn! I'll be a part of your alliance and I'll do my part, but I will not become one of you, no matter who does it!"

Thorne sat back and said nothing. He had expected her to refuse to turn, but he hadn't expected her to accept her part in the situation that they were in. It didn't change how he felt about her, but it was nice to hear.

"I expected that you would respond as you just did," Thorne replied. "The offer stands if you should change your mind. Something else to consider is this- you could have drawn up what the humans would call an advanced directive. You could state under which conditions that turning is acceptable and name those who you wish to turn..."

"Did you not hear me?" Barb snapped. "I want no part of it. If I die then I die."

"You really are a selfish bitch!" Thorne said unable to hold his tongue. "You are so beautiful on the outside but on the inside you are as ugly as they come! Do you know what amazes me? It amazes me that you are unaffected by the fact that our child doesn't like you. He has accepted that you don't and won't care for him! The other thing that amazes me is that your family still loves you. They have made every effort to draw you to them and you continue to shun them..."

"Listen to you Mr. I'm in therapy!" Barb yelled back. "As I remember telling you before, you're no damned better than I am!"

"No, I'm not!" Thorne bellowed. "I'm worse in many ways. I know and accept that about myself! I took advantage of your weakness! I can't tell you how much I regret that, but I am making an effort to change. At heart, I will always be a bastard, but I'll be a bastard willing to do what I need to do in order to care for my son! What about you? Can you say that or are you going to keep counting the days that you can be free of him? Notice that I said him and not us. As far as we're concerned we never were. I've given you your options; do whatever the hell you want."

Barb didn't reply. His words had cut deep. She didn't move when he approached the bed and sat down beside her.

"Aidan- sweetheart," he said softly. "I am sorry if we frightened you. I have yet to learn how to control my tongue and my temper. Try to rest and try not to worry- you are loved and cared for."

He kissed Barb's stomach, stood up and left the room without sparing her another glance.

"Tick tock," the voice within Barb whispered. "Tick....tock"

***

The week before the reunion dinner passed quickly. Miraculously, the apartment for Gene was ready and fully stocked with his favorite food, snacks and beverages. The freezer was full of meals that only needed to be reheated in the microwave or oven.

The night before the apartment was finished, and as they were finishing making the food, Louise decided to talk to Barb. For all she knew it would be her last chance.

"Why did you take those notebooks?" she asked. "They meant nothing to you."

"I don't want to talk about it," Barb replied as she snapped the lid on the last container.

"Really?" Louise asked. "I don't care whether you want to talk about it or not- I do so let's stop acting like children and talk about this. Why did you take those notebooks?"

"Look..."

"No, you look," Louise said taking the container from Barb's hands. "We've put up with your nonsense long enough, now answer the question, why did you take those books?"

Barb was surprised at Louise's persistence but tried to put her off and failed. She was finally forced to answer.

"I took the damned notebooks because I knew that you wanted them! I knew that they were important to you! Is there anything else that you want to know?"

"Did you hate me that much?" Louise whispered. "What did I do to you?"

"You... took from me!"

"I - I what?" Louise asked confused.

"You heard me! Do you remember ever having to wear hand me downs? Were you ever teased at school? Were you ever denied anything?" Barb asked her voice low and filled with anger. "Did any of those things happen to you?"

"How did I take from you?" Louise asked confused. "By the time I was in middle school, the older ones had part time jobs and could help out..."

"I took those notebooks because when I asked Kevyn to bring me back to California with her, she refused. In fact, I didn't get the chance to ask her - she shut me down before I could ask and told me why she was taking you."

"Maybe it was because she knew what you were after," Louise replied. "We all saw how you looked at Patrick. You didn't make a move on him because you knew better. But this is about more than me coming to California, so let's have it. Don't be afraid of hurting my feelings - you can't because I won't allow you to."

Barb took a step backwards. The strength that she felt radiating from Louise was startling.

"Go on," Louise pushed, "Let's hear it. Tell me how I took from you. If you want me to apologize, I will, but I want to know exactly what I'm apologizing for."

When Barb took another step away from her, Louise didn't move.

"Are you going to talk to me or are you going to run back to your house and pout about the unfairness of it all? Whatever you say stays between us so have at it. Nathan is in his office with Thorne and he won't interfere if that's what you're worried about."

Still Barb didn't speak. Instead, she grabbed her purse and ran out of the house as fast as she could. Nathan followed by Thorne came out of the office.

"Sweetheart?" Nathan said assessing Louise.

"I'm fine; Thorne - Barb is waiting for you by your car."

That was the last time Louise or anyone else saw Barb. No one knew if she was even going to attend the dinner.

"I pushed too hard," Louise said as she got dressed for the dinner. "I just wanted her to say it- I just wanted to hear why she was so angry with me."

"Louise," Nathan said as he put her arms around her, "she doesn't hate you or the others. She doesn't like herself. If nothing else, maybe she's doing some serious thinking. But at any rate, you've all done what you can."

"I know, but..."

"No stressing ok? The baby doesn't like it."

*****

Barb debated long and hard about whether she should attend the dinner or not. Attending wasn't a condition in order to receive her money but... eventually reason took over. She had agreed to be a part of the alliance but only because she felt as though she had no choice. To stay home was, in effect, reneging on that agreement.

She got out of bed and looked at her choice of dresses for the evening. They were both beautiful and paid for by Thorne. She opted out of the shopping trip with her sisters because she was unable to look at Louise. Instead she went shopping with Thorne and Adrianna. She wasn't even sure that she could manage at the dinner but she had to do it.

Adrianna helped her dress in the pale peach maternity dress that fell just below her knees. Ironically, the dress was similar to the prom dress from years ago. When she realized it, she changed into the black evening dress. She hadn't worn black since the night she went to Thorne's club, but that was preferable to the peach colored dress.

"You look great," Adrianna said as she zipped the dress up, "and I bet if you let yourself, you'll have a good time."

Barb didn't reply. She had been doing that more and more. All she wanted to do was to get through the night, have the baby and be on her way.

"You look lovely," Thorne complimented when she came down the stairs.

"Thank you," Barb replied not looking at him. "Is it time to go?"

Thorne offered his arm which Barb reluctantly took and led her to the car. Tonight there was a driver who would double as security. Barb knew that Thorne offered his arm only because he wanted to be able to pull her aside quickly if he needed to. Once in the car, he sat on one side and her on the other. Not once did they speak.

***

Samantha dressed for the dinner with some trepidation. She still hadn't apologized to Thorne and planned to do it after the dinner. There wouldn't be time before. She had also decided that she would participate in her grandson's life as much as Thorne would allow her. She would never be the doting grandmother, but she could be a grandmother that would know her grandson. She still hadn't formulated an opinion about Barbara Yancy-Simpson; but that would come soon enough. Instead of going with an escort, she decided to go alone accompanied by a guard. There was no point in stirring up trouble. Samantha sighed heavily; it was going to be an interesting night.

*****

Ethan and Katrina were the first to arrive, followed by Barb and Thorne. Everyone else arrived shortly thereafter. Wanda, Victoria, Celeste and Victor had a table to themselves, so that they could talk about whatever it was children talked about. When Barb spotted Celeste, she looked away. Soon the restaurant was full and the dinner began. Thorne and Ethan sat next to each other with her sitting to Thorne's left and Katrina to Ethan's right. Barb stared at her trying to figure out how one forgave someone who brutalized them. Katrina caught her staring and smiled at her. To Barb's left, sat Noel and Samantha who, as of yet, she hadn't officially met. Her first reaction though was instant dislike, but admiration for her beauty. She could see where Noel and Thorne got their vivid green eyes.

To Katrina's right sat Martin and Rachel, Patrick and Kevyn then two empty places where Jesse Sinclaire and his mate would have sat if they had lived. On their plates lay a single rose. Promptly at six thirty, Ethan and Thorne stood up bringing the chatting to a standstill. Both men looked around the room for several seconds before Thorne spoke.

"As you all know, the Sinclaires and the Blackwell's were friends and allies in the past. That friendship was severed because of an unsupported accusation that was made by my family. It was an accusation of treachery by the Sinclaire family against the Blackwell's. At the time, tempers and emotions ran high and we didn't stop to think or to talk. We simply reacted. When all was said and done, two of my brothers and my father lay dead. But that wasn't all that was lost. A friendship that had been a century old was lost. Trust was lost- a very powerful alliance was lost.

I stand here before you to take full responsibility for that loss. As the oldest male, I should have stepped up and tried to make my father see reason. Afterwards, I should have stepped back and examined the events of that night. Instead, I harbored anger and hatred that was completely unfounded and wrong. Throughout the years, I had the suspicion that all wasn't as it seemed, but I held on to that hate. In doing that, I have made several errors in judgment that have not affected just me, but others, and for that, I apologize. The past several weeks have shown me how wrong and stupid I was. I now ask forgiveness and ask that we, the Blackwell's and Sinclaires, rejoin as family, allies, and friends. Our homes and all that we have will be at your disposal. You and yours are under my protection for always."

Barb sat there flabbergasted. Was he serious? She had no idea of what Thorne was really worth but to offer it up like that? She didn't notice Samantha watching her with distaste.

"Thorne," Ethan said as he extended his hand. "We have always been allies even, if we didn't acknowledge it. The past weeks have proven that. We were able to set aside old misunderstandings and come together for the sake of our families. Your apology is accepted and the past is no longer an issue between us. We start with a new slate. I, and my family, would be honored to accept you as friends, allies, and family. Our homes and all that we have are at your disposal. You and yours are under my protection for always. From this moment forth, we are reunited."

Still holding on to Thorne's hand, Ethan continued.

"There is another family that I would like to formally ask to join our alliance. They are already a part of it because of marriage, but their involvement goes far into the past."

"What's he talking about?" Kevyn whispered to Patrick.

"Shhh" he said with a smile.

"The Blackwell and Sinclaires have been blessed to have the Yancy family blend with ours. I could go into a long explanation, but suffice it to say that the Yancy's and the Sinclaires have crossed paths over the past several centuries. On occasion there has even been a mating but the last mating was centuries ago. The Yancy's bring to our families strength and power that we are still discovering. Normally, the oldest male of the family would accept or decline the request, but since he isn't here, Leon will you stand?"

Everyone, even the kitchen staff, was silent as Leon stood.

"Leon, as the next oldest male of your family do you accept or decline this offer to join our alliance?"

"May I speak?" Leon asked.

"You may," Ethan replied. He already had an idea of what Leon was going to say.

"I am pleased and honored that you asked me to accept on behalf of my family, but I think that the honor should go to my sister Kevyn. She may not be male, but she held our family together as much as she could have given the circumstances. She made the hard decisions, knowing that she was going to catch hell for them. I don't know if your rules allow for a female to speak for a family, but if they don't; I think that this should be the exception. So if you don't mind - I'd like Kevyn to be the one to accept or decline your offer."

kalamazoo707
kalamazoo707
1,665 Followers