To Hire a Cheerleader Pt. 06

Story Info
Tori & Jake overcome their fears.
4.2k words
4.8
31.8k
16

Part 6 of the 6 part series

Updated 09/22/2022
Created 06/25/2004
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
JewelTran
JewelTran
335 Followers

Chapter Fourteen

On Sunday morning, Tori woke up smiling. It looked like a great day, with the sun shining and a light breeze blowing. For a few minutes, she just sat in bed and soaked up the good feelings. Then the realities of the day before came back to her. She was not who she had been yesterday morning - or any of the mornings before that. Now, she was an experienced woman - well sort of!

Tori climbed out of the bed and dressed in a skort and halter top. She didn't bother with shoes. After flipping her hair into a quick braid, she headed downstairs. Jake wasn't in the kitchen. In fact, Tori couldn't find him in any of the front rooms. Finally, she heard a sound from the back of the house. She went down the hall to Jake's office and found him hard at work.

Frowning, Tori said, "Jake, what are you doing? This is Sunday."

Jake looked up from the papers he was working on. "I have great news! Your dad called this morning and he has been hired as the divorce lawyer for Constance Vallirosa."

Trying to figure out what Jake was talking about, Tori said, "Constance Vallirosa? Isn't that the wife of the ambassador who just got caught up in the embezzlement scandal?"

Nodding, Jake said, "That's right. And Paul got the job. Now, I have to go to Washington to get the evidence that we need in order to prove our case. Paul believes that his wife was completely ignorant of the ambassador's actions. So, not only do I need information to support the divorce, but we also think we should collect some proof that she is innocent before the question is asked."

Tori wasn't sure what her role in Jake's new job would be. She said, "Jake, am I going with you?"

Jake gave Tori a rather distant look and said, "No. I don't need your help with this. You need to stay here and keep up with the other cases that your dad is working on. We can't afford for both of us to go."

Biting her bottom lip, Tori considered Jake's words. "Jake, are you sure that you are up to this? You haven't been doing a lot of travelling over the past few years. This is a major undertaking. Are you ready to be in the spotlight this much?"

"Oh, I'm ready, alright. You have done your work well. I feel confident enough to handle anything this case requires," Jake said. Then he waved his hand in her general direction and added, "I'm sorry that I won't have time to spend with you today. My flight leaves at lunch."

"Lunch?" Tori squeaked. "Are you sure? Why are you leaving so soon?"

Jake looked at her calmly. "I need to get started. There's no reason to wait. Is there?"

Tori couldn't bring herself to give Jake the answer that she wanted to give him. She wanted to tell him that there was an excellent reason for him to stay. She wasn't exactly sure what that reason was, but it had to do with their relationship. Tori wanted to tell him that she loved him and that she didn't want him to go. She needed him to stay. But she couldn't say that. So, instead, she said, "No, of course not. What can I do to help you get ready?"

Jake suggested that Tori grab some specific information for him to study on the plane, then he dismissed her with another wave of his hand. Biting her cheeks to keep from screaming, Tori excused herself and went to find what he had asked for.

The first few days after Jake left, Tori threw herself into her work. She wrapped up cases right and left. She tried not to think about Jake, but it was a little difficult since she was living in his house, eating his food and sleeping so close to his bedroom. George and Beatrice tried to make Tori comfortable, but she was still lonely. She missed Jake. She had only known the man three weeks and she was already so used to his presence in her life that his absence left a hole in her heart. She loved him and she was miserable without him.

Jake didn't seem to be having the same problem, though. Every day Tori got an e-mail from Jake telling her what he was doing and how the case was going. He had flown into Washington, D.C. and was living in a five star motel, curtesy of his client. His client also happened to live in the same motel, at least temporarily. Jake assured Tori that he was making headway on the case, but she wasn't sure how he was having time to do much in between the meals and parties he was enjoying with his client. Of course, his lovely client had assured Jake that his presence was necessary. She said that she needed him to accompany her to these events so she would have adequate protection during the divorce proceedings. And Jake was nothing if not a gentleman. He couldn't let the lady down or allow her reputation to be soiled. So, he obediently attended the functions and e-mailed Tori the details.

At the end of the second week of Jake's absence, George and Beatrice were ready to move into their new home. They had offered to put off leaving until Jake was back, but Tori convinced them that she would be fine in the house alone. She helped them pack up and waved good bye as they pulled out of the driveway. Even knowing that they would be back bright and early on Monday morning didn't help dispel the feelings of abandonment that Tori was experiencing. She ate supper alone that night, sitting in front of the TV. Tori would never know what was playing on the set, because she was lost in her thoughts - thoughts that revolved around the man who was busy wining and dining an embassador's soon to be ex-wife.

Two more weeks passed and Tori was beginning to think that Jake's assignment would never end. It had been almost a month since she had seen him. Other than his e-mails, she hadn't had any contact with him.

By the time that Friday rolled around on the fourth week, Tori was fit to be tied. When her dad called her to invite her out to dinner, she gladly accepted. She had been eating with him and Stella at least once a week since Jake left, and she was thrilled that their relationship seemed to be going so well. And indeed it was going well. Over a glass of champagne, Paul announced that he and Stella were getting married! Tori was so happy for them, that she actually forgot how unhappy she had been since Jake left. She enjoyed discussing the wedding plans over supper and gladly accepted their offer of a ride home afterward. As she opened the door to Jake's house, she smiled to herself. It had been a great evening. Maybe she was getting over Jake. Yeah, right. And maybe pigs could fly.

The next morning, Tori was awakened by something tickling her face. She swatted at the intrusion and rolled over to go back to sleep. The obnoxious intruder didn't go away, though. Suddenly, Tori felt something creep across her shoulders. Coming fully awake, Tori bolted upright in the bed. A scream formed on her lips as she realized that someone was in the bed with her, but it died just as quickly when she recognized who it was. Then her panic turned to fear, "Jake! What are you doing? Why are you here? Is everything alright? Are you alright?"

Jake laid his finger across her lips. "I just couldn't be away from you any longer, woman. I have given you a month. Are you ready now to admit that what we have is something special, or am I going to have to tie you up here in the bed and torture you with lovemaking until you are willing to agree?"

Tori couldn't believe her eyes or her ears. Jake was in bed with her and he was talking as though she was important to him. But he still hadn't made any promises. With a firm shake of her head, Tori accepted the fact that she needed to take a risk here. Life wasn't meant to be lived in the shadows. She was going to have to step out in faith if she was ever going to get what she wanted. She couldn't expect Jake to make all of the concessions.

Not exactly sure how to say what she wanted to say, Tori ran her hands over Jake's face. Her fingers worked around his neck and into his hair. Almost absentmindedly, she loosened the ponytail. Tori was so caught up in the discussion she was having in her head, she wasn't paying too much attention to what words were actually coming out of her mouth. She was as surprised as Jake looked when she heard herself whisper, "Did she see you like this? Did she run her fingers through your hair? Did she make love to you, Jake?"

Flames jumped behind Jake's eyes. Tori watched as the color of his irises darkened with his emotions. He answered her in a controlled, yet equally quiet voice, "No, Tori. She didn't see me like this. She didn't touch my hair and she didn't make love to me. And just so you will know, I didn't make love to her, either." This last part he added with a small smile on his face. He went on, "I hoped that you would care. Does this mean that you realize what we have?"

Tori cocked her head to the side. "What do we have, Jake? I know how I feel. I realized it on the day we made love. I love you, Jake. I think I have from the first moment I walked into your dark office. You complete me, Jake. Is that what you feel? Is that what we have?"

Instead of answering her verbally, Jake pulled Tori to him. Passion flared between them as he looked deeply into her eyes. He lowered his mouth and kissed her soundly. Tori felt that he was holding her very heart in his hands. When he finally spoke again, he said, "Tori, I will never leave you again. I was crushed when you couldn't admit that what we had was perfect. I had to get away. I admit that I did hope that you would be a little bit jealous of all the running around that I was having to do in D.C., but I only did it to help you realize how you felt about me - well, that, and to close a very lucrative case!"

Tori laughed out loud, "You turkey! Did I come first or did the case? No, don't answer that. I don't think I want to know!"

Jake's kiss convinced Tori that she already knew the answer. She was first in Jake's life and always would be. But he still hadn't said the words. Pulling away a few inches, she rubbed her nose against his. "Jake, I told you how I feel. And your reply was that I was special to you. How special Jake?"

Grinning, Jake dropped a quick kiss on her lips, then scooted out of bed. Tori wasn't expecting that reaction and she made a grab to keep him with her. But Jake eluded her hands and moved across the room. When he came back, he was holding something behind his back.

He said, "I bought you something while I was in D.C. Want to see it?"

Tori sat upright in the bed and cocked her head to the side. "You brought me a present? That's so sweet! What is it?"

Jake looked like he was about to laugh out loud at Tori. "Woman, you really need to read more romance novels!" Then, dropping to one knee beside the bed, he pulled Tori to the side. Taking her hand in his, he looked up at her and said, "Tori, no woman has ever made me feel like you do. You have made me believe that I could face the world - literally. I have spent the last month doing all the things that I only read about before. I was so afraid of how people would react to me. And other than a few short stares, nobody seemed to notice. Tori, you have opened my eyes to the world. If you are interested, I would like to offer you a permanent position in my life."

Tori looked at Jake in confusion, "This is a job offer?"

Jake laughed, "Well, of sorts. Tori, I love you with all that I am. Will you marry me and be my cheerleader for ever?" Then he whipped his hand from behind his back and held out a diamond solitaire.

Bewildered, Tori stared from the ring, to Jake's face, then back to the ring. She threw her hands over her cheeks and said, "Oh, Jake, I was just hoping for you to tell me that you loved me. I never dared to hope that you would want to actually marry me. What if I embarrass you or say the wrong thing, or someone makes fun of you for marrying me? Oh, Jake!"

Pulling himself up from the floor, Jake sat on the side of the bed and pulled Tori to him. Shaking his head, he said, "Tori, have you forgotten everything that you taught me? Sure, there may be some ignorant people out there who say or do cruel things, but that's not who makes up most of the world's population. You are so beautiful, so smart and so sweet. Tori, if you'll be my cheerleader, I'll spend the rest of my life being yours."

No other excuses came to Tori's mind. She felt like she ought to protest to protect Jake, but he really didn't look like he needed to be protected. In fact, he looked like a man who had found what he wanted in life. And it looked like she was what he wanted.

Giving Jake what she hoped was a serious and solemn look, Tori slowly nodded her head. "Yes, Jake. I would like that. I would love to be your wife!" Then she burst into fits of laughter.

Jake hugged her to him and ran his hands down her back. It had been a whole month since she had felt his touch and Tori's skin seemed to burst into flames under his hands. Jake pulled away only long enough to slip the ring onto Tori's finger, then he spent the rest of the morning making sure that she remembered just how good they were together - and, the truth was, they were perfect together!

Epilogue

Three months had passed since Jake had proposed to Tori. Although there were some wedding plans to be made during that time, there were lots of other developments and changes going on in their lives, as well.

Jake's exposure following the Vallirosa trial had opened up new doors for him. Although the law firm offered to bring him in as a full partner, he declined the offer and chose to stay with the detective style work he had been doing. He felt that being a lawyer added an edge to his work that others didn't have and he wanted to keep using that advantage to benefit the firm's clients.

Jake also decided to make use of his interest in photography. He had made arrangements with the local community college to offer a class for men and women interested in becoming private investigators. Although there were no educational requirements to be a P.I., there were certainly courses that could benefit anyone interested in the field. Jake offered to lead a class on photography. Jake taught not only how to take pictures, but he also went over the various equipment that a private investigator could utilize. The response was overwhelming. After his first six week class, Jake was offered a two year contract with the school. He readily agreed and was truly enjoying every aspect of his new job.

Tori's work life was developing as well. Since Jake had branched out, she was responsible for more and more of the office details. She found that she had a natural talent for organization as well as being someone people tended to trust. Even though Jake had been in the field for years, Tori managed to get information out of people that Jake would never have even realized was available. She did interviews with clients and continued her on-line tracking, in addition to going out with Jake as often as possible for surveillance work. Since that was often a boring game of 'hurry up and wait', Tori found that she loved those trips. It gave her a chance to have Jake all to herself. And she wasn't one to pass up an opportunity like that!

Beyond work, Tori and Jake were beginning to have an active social life, as well. That was a first for both of them. Tori and Jake had developed several deep friendships. The Samuelsons had become regulars at their home. Tony had been amazed at Jake's comic book collection. And when Tom realized that the boy was interested in them, he had pulled out his own collection. Now the three of them enjoyed their hobby together. They had even gone to a comic book convention downtown one week-end.

In addition to the Samuelsons, Tori and Jake spent as much time as possible with Stella and Paul. The two couples had grown quiet close to each other. Tori and Jake had both been loners growing up, so having friends who they cared for, who cared for them as well, was a new and exciting part of who they were becoming.

But the most important changes in Tori and Jake revolved around their own relationship. The fact that Tori and Jake were growing more self-confident in other areas of their lives was a direct reflection on the love that they shared. Although they each had experienced tremendous growth in their personal self esteem, they both had moments where they needed a cheerleader. And, through every one of those times, they were there for each other. With one another's help, they were each becoming the person they had once only dreamed of being.

Finally, the day came for their wedding. Jake had wanted to get married immediately, but Tori had insisted that they wait, in order for Paul and Stella to get back from their honeymoon. Tori wanted Stella as her matron of honor and she wanted Paul to walk her down the aisle. Since Stella and Paul had already set their wedding date, Tori didn't think it was fair to usurp their plans. So, Tori and Jake settled on a wedding date and it had finally arrived.

Standing in the small dressing room of the church, Stella helped Tori zip up her soft, silky dress. Leaning over her new step-daughter's shoulder, Stella said, "It's a good thing you went with an empire waist! Have you told Jake yet?"

Tori's face colored lightly. "Not yet. I want to surprise him. I am going to tell him as my wedding present to him. And if you weren't just plain psychic, you wouldn't know, either!"

Stella just laughed and hugged Tori. Stella had guessed Tori's condition soon after returning from her honeymoon with Paul. Tori had been surprised that it was obvious, and she had sworn Stella to silence. But, after today, there would be no need for it to be a secret anymore.

After fixing Tori's hair and a last brush of powder, Stella said, "You make a beautiful bride, Tori, and I know Jake will make a perfect father." Then Stella slipped out the door, to get her flowers before walking down the aisle.

While Tori stood looking at herself in the mirror, she heard the door open. She turned to face her father, as he strode across the small room. "Tori! You look wonderful! I've never seen you so radiant. Jake is a very lucky man!" Paul brushed his lips across Tori's cheek, then offered her his arm. Together they walked from the room to the back of the chapel.

Tori peered around the corner to see what was going on. Jake had asked Tony Samuelson to stand in as his groomsman. George was the best man. Along with Jake, the two of them were already standing down front, waiting with the minister. Stella had already gone in, as well. All that was left was Tori and Paul.

Then the trumpet blasts began.

Paul patted Tori's hand. "Let's do it, sweetheart!" With that, Paul guided Tori forward, down the aisle.

Tori was completely focused on Jake as she approached him. When he turned and met her eyes, Tori thought that she might melt, then and there. Jake looked at her as though she were the most beautiful creature he had ever seen. And Tori was certain he was the most handsome man she had ever seen. His tux fit him to perfection and it matched the black of his hair. He had worn his hair loose, at Tori's request. Looking at him, Tori couldn't believe that this was really her life.

The words that the minister said were etched into Tori's mind as she took her vows with Jake. They had met with the minister over the past several weeks and had worked out exactly what they wanted to say to one another. Tori took her vows first, then the minister directed Jake to repeat his vows. After promising to love, honor and cherish Tori, through sickness and health, plenty and want, good times and bad, Jake added his own unexpected ending. In a quiet voice, barely loud enough for Tori to hear, Jake added, "And I promise to be your cheerleader, until death do us part."

Tears ran down Tori's cheeks as the service came to an end and the minister blessed their rings. After their first official kiss and husband and wife, Tori and Jake walked, arm in arm, out of the chapel.

JewelTran
JewelTran
335 Followers
12