Tre Lloyd Adventures Ch. 13

Story Info
Tre meets his new apprentice.
6.9k words
4.52
8.7k
4
Story does not have any tags

Part 13 of the 13 part series

Updated 09/21/2022
Created 06/30/2005
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Skidder
Skidder
66 Followers

Again my dreams were filled with another trip to the grove. This time when I awoke the goddess in the grove had left my mind filled with knowledge of how to travel from place to place in a fraction of the time without using the Fae realm. As with every other day this week my head felt full to bursting with the knowledge of how to use the skill I had just learned. I awoke in the bed with no knowledge of having walked there and quickly rose. I drew on the mana to put the skill to the test. I was so absorbed in trying the skill out I didn't notice that there was very little pain as I drew on the mana.

I had just begun shaping the mana to start the test when the phone rang. I released the mana and noticed for the first time the ache in my head from drawing it. I blinked a few times and shook my head as I picked up the phone. "Hello?"

"Tre, this is Dana, Consul Telemon's secretary. He asked me to call and make sure you were awake for your meeting with Apprentice Pena."

I recognized the woman's voice and nodded, even though she couldn't see me. "Thank you, Dana. I will be in the conference room shortly." We exchanged pleasantries and hung up. After setting the phone back in its cradle I walked over to the closet and changed into some clothes that Arianna had brought from the hotel. After brushing my hair I gathered up my mini-comp and Michelle's file and headed for the door.

It took me very little time to reach the conference room where I was supposed to meet with Apprentice Pena. One thing that Telemon saw to was that every Chapterhouse was identical in layout. The Motherhouse is also the same for the most part, just that it is much larger. I took a seat across the table from the door so I would see when she entered and opened her file.

I looked up at the door as I heard it open. I glanced at my watch seeing it was still a couple of minutes until eleven thirty and smiled to myself. I looked at the person standing in the doorway and smiled. The Order garbed its apprentices in shapeless gray hooded robes. Apprentice Pena was indeed wearing the shapeless gray robes but under her robes he could see she wore gray jeans and a gray tee shirt. Her long brown hair was pulled back into a tail and her brown eyes sparkled as she stood in the doorway and appraised me as I was doing to her. "Apprentice Pena reporting for our scheduled meeting, Sir."

I allowed a bit of a smile to cross my face. "Come in and close the door behind you, Apprentice." Once she had closed the door behind her I pulled a crystal out of my pocket and set a ward around the room. I closed my eyes as the headache settled in behind them once I released the power after setting the ward.

When I opened my eyes again she was standing behind the chair opposite me looking at me curiously. "Are you okay, sir?"

I nodded with a rueful chuckle. "Yes, Apprentice, I'm fine. I'm still recovering from my mishap last week. I just have to remember to take it easy. And stop with the 'sir' stuff. My name is Tre." I gestured to the chair in front of her. "Have a seat, Apprentice. Let's get started."

She pulled the chair out from the table and settled down into it. I watched her for a moment before flipping the file to one of the clean sheets Telemon left in it for taking notes. "Tell me about yourself, Apprentice."

She locked her dark eyes with mine and shrugged. "I don't know what you want to hear, sir. I was born in the Vampire Dominion of Minneapolis. I was the third-born child of Mark and Judy Pena. My father is a banker in Minneapolis and my mother is an accountant. Both were highly placed in the Baron's Court. Highly placed for humans that is." I watched her while listening and taking notes. "The year before I was born the Baron of Minneapolis had sent out orders that any children with magical talent were to be brought in for 'testing'. He wanted mages to serve him, both as humans and, later, as vampires."

She paused and poured herself a cup of water. "When I was getting ready to start school, I was tested, in secret. I was made to hold the image of a shield in my mind. I didn't know it then but the man testing me, Jerry... Dale I think his last name was, someone my mother grew up with, cast a spell at me. Pain flared in my head and drove me to my knees. My parents freaked out, but they knew then that I could use magic. The power had not actually manifested itself fully. That didn't come until I hit puberty. But the man that tested me used the same test that was used on him at my age and that he had used on each of my siblings."

I interrupted her. "Was there a history of magic use in your family? Any that you can remember?"

She thought about it a minute. "I'm not sure. But one of my parents must have come from a family with magical abilities. Given that it it commonly believed that the talent for magic comes from the mother's side of the gene pool, there is your answer. Apparently someone on my mother's side of the family was a mage." I nodded and made a note to see what I could find out about 'Jerry Dale' and to see if I could trace back who was magically active in her family as she continued. "Despite the Baron's order, my mother refused to turn me over to the vampires for training."

She looked right into my eyes. "I came into my powers on my first period. It was a trying time for everyone. Jerry, my mother's friend, started coming around regularly to teach me the very basics of controlling the power so I didn't get mad and use magic on someone accidentally. One of the first skills that he taught me was to hide that I could use the power." She shrugged. "If no one suspected that I was magical, there was no problem. That was Jerry's solution. To hide the fact that I could use the power."

"You were taught to mask your aura to hide that you were magical?" I scribbled a few more notes on the paper. When she nodded I circled the note to find this 'Jerry Dale'. "That is not normally something that is taught to children. It is a skill of Initiates not apprentices." I shifted my vision to get a look at her on the Astral. Her aura glowed and flickered with power. I could see in her aura that her story was disturbing her. I could also plainly see the ability to use magic imprinted on her aura. "Mask your aura, Apprentice. Do it just as you were taught."

As I watched, her aura lost the pulsing glow that showed she was magical, taking on the dull glow of a person born without the ability to use the power. Blinking my eyes a few times I shifted back to normal vision. "That is interesting. And you say you were taught that first?"

"Yes, sir. Jerry said that if I could hide the fact that I could use magic that my family and I would be safe." Her face took on a look of sadness. "He was wrong. Apparently someone in the Baron's Court heard that I could use magic. At first we didn't know who told, but when the Baron's soldiers came for me we found out rather quickly. They had an order to make a lesson out of us. My older brothers were to be killed, in front of my parents and myself. After they were dead I was to be taken. When they read the order, Will, my second brother, protested that he was supposed to be rewarded for turning me in."

She stopped, tears in her eyes. "My brother betrayed me to the vampires for a reward. He was 'rewarded' by being allowed to watch his brother drained by two vampires before they killed him. His reward was to not be fed on before they killed him. Instead they broke his neck. My father and mother were still in shock when I was taken. I was taken downstairs and put into a car. I couldn't even resist at first. I was just limp." She shrugged again. "That is how I was able to escape. I was left alone in the back seat of the car as we drove. At the time the only skill I knew was how to mask my aura. We stopped at a traffic light and all of a sudden I felt the hair on the back of my neck stand up and heard Jerry's voice whispering in my ear to run. To get out of the car and go to a parking garage a few blocks away."

I wrote down a few more notes, about the spell he used to speak to her from the Astral Plane, her body's reaction to magic being used near her. She continued, speaking quietly. "Suddenly the vampire driving just... melted. The back door of the car opened and I jumped out. The passenger died the same way, and that was the last I saw of them. I ran for the parking garage like Jerry had said. When I got there Jerry was waiting. He got me in the car and we took off. We crossed the river and headed east until we reached Chicago. When we got there he gave me some cash, bought me a ticket and put me on a plane for New York. He said there would be some people waiting on me there and they would protect me and give me training." I kept jotting down notes as I listened, my curiosity about this Jerry Dale growing by the second.

She spread her hands and gestured around her. "I was met by two men at the airport and they brought me here. I spent a few days here and was then sent to train with Julius. I was with him up until a few days ago when he sent me here to meet with you."

I chuckled and looked at her. "Did Julius tell you why he wanted you to meet with me?"

She nodded. "Yes, he did. He told me that I had learned as much as I could from him and that you would complete my training. He says that you are the greatest student he has ever had, and the one with the most potential to do great things." She smiled. "-If- you don't go and get yourself killed by the vampires in Memphis that is."

I laughed quietly. "Yes, he has said much the same to me over the years. He keeps warning me not to let the vampires 'ruin my potential'." I flipped to the listing of the spells she learned. "Julius sent me his appraisal of your skills. He says you are very good at sorcery and ritual sorcery as well as good with summoning. You are also apparently very good on the research side of things because you have learned quite a few spells that Julius doesn't know."

She smiled, though the expression didn't quite reach her eyes. "Yes, I spent most of my free time in research in Julius's library. Julius and I would summon spirits to help me with my studying." I glanced up at that and she shrugged. "He wouldn't teach me the spells himself, but he would summon, or help me to summon, fire elementals to help me learn them. That is how I learned the vast majority of the combat spells that I know. Others I worked out on my own."

I glanced at the list of spells, noting the marks of spells she studied without spirits to aid her. "Very impressive." I flipped the folder shut and looked across the table at her. "What do you know about me?"

"Only what most everybody knows, sir. You were taken in by the Order as a child. In the course of your training you studied with two primary mentors as well as doing a short stint in Japan studying the ways of the Shinto tradition as well as the arts of the samurai. In Japan you met the reason for your war against the vampires, Kimiko Tanaka, as well as her brothers, two of your strongest allies in your battle, Akiro, the eldest, and Keio, Kimiko's twin. You passed your Trials and became an Initiate of the Order. Shortly after that Kimiko disappeared in a vampire attack and your war began. A war against the Vampire Dominion of Memphis that continues to this day."

I nodded slowly, remembering that Telemon knew about Kimiko and Robert but that he hadn't told anyone else yet. I smiled a bit thinking that Apprentice Pena would have a bit of a surprise waiting on her when she got back to Horn Lake. I chuckled wryly as I realized what I had just thought. I looked back at my new Apprentice seeing her questioning look. "Before I take you on officially as my apprentice, I will require an oath. You will see things, hear things around me that you must not share with anyone." As she tilted her head I repeated myself. "Anyone. There are things I can show you that others won't or can't. Things that -will- be dangerous for you to see and learn. I will have to trust you with my secrets if you become my apprentice. If I am going to do that, I have to know that you're one hundred percent on my side."

As I spoke her eyes sparkled dangerously. "If I was not on your side, sir, I would not be here. I gave much the same oath to Julius when I became his apprentice. I will give you the oath you want, Tre. You want me to keep your secrets, consider them kept. Just train me! Finish the job that Julius started. I can help you against the vampires, Tre."

I blinked at her vehemence, feeling the power of her semi-spoken oath binding her to keep my secrets. I nodded and stood up. "Come with me, Apprentice Pena. It is time to see what you can do." I scooped up the file folder and walked around the table, dismissing the ward around the room with a thought.

She looked surprised for a moment but stood up and slid her hands into the pockets of the robes. "Lead the way, sir... uh... I mean lead the way, Tre." She corrected herself as I looked over at her. We walked out of the conference room and headed to the elevators. A quick ride down had us in the basement testing rooms. I had a quick talk with the supervisor in charge of the rooms and arranged to use one for a little while.

As we walked down the hall towards the room we were assigned I saw the room I had done my testing for Telemon in and shuddered. A dull throbbing in my head told me that I had opened myself to the power without even thinking about it and I released it. A sidelong look showed Apprentice Pena looking at me curiously. "Are you all right, Tre?"

"Yes, I'm fine." I gestured to the room we had just passed. "That is the room where I almost died being tested a short while ago." I shrugged and kept walking, stopping outside of the door to the room assigned to us. I opened the door and stepped inside followed by Apprentice Pena. I gestured her into the center of the room and stepped back into a corner to watch her work.

She walked out into the center of the room and turned around to face me. "First I want you to draw on all of the power that you can. I will be watching your aura to see what I can learn from it. After that I want you to cast every spell you know that you can cast." I pointed to a mannequin in the corner opposite me. "For spells that require an inanimate target, use that." I reached into my pocket and pulled out the ring that Arianna gave me before my trip to Freyja's mansion. "Spells that need a live target you can send at me." I smiled as she opened her mouth, her protest already obvious on her face. "Don't worry, Apprentice Pena, I will be watching and can stop any spell you can throw at me." She opened her mouth to speak again. "Just do it, Apprentice!" I snapped.

She closed her mouth and began to draw on the mana. I closed my eyes and shifted my focus to the Astral, looking at her aura as she drew on the power of magic. I watched the glow of her aura change as she drew on the power. I kept focusing on her until her aura stopped changing colors, surges of mana coursing through her aura as she held the power. I waited a few moments and nodded. "Very good, Apprentice. Release the power and relax." Almost immediately I watched her aura return to the dull glow of a mundane. "You can drop the masking as well, Apprentice." In an instant her aura changed from that of a mundane to the rippling glow of one born with the power to control mana.

I kept my focus on the Astral, watching her as I nodded. "Now you can start casting your spells, Apprentice." She nodded wordlessly and began to draw on small amounts of mana to fuel her magic. I watched as she worked her magic, noting how she shaped the mana to produce the spells. I shifted back and forth between the Astral and normal sight, watching her work her magic and observing the results. She turned towards me and paused. I switched back to the Astral and readied the ring on my finger.

As the first spell came my way I activated the magic in the ring, ignoring the dull ache behind my eyes as I did. The oddly made ring glowed brightly on the Astral as it absorbed the mana being directed towards me. Apprentice Pena's surprise at the ring absorbing her magic showed clearly in her aura but to her credit she kept the spells coming. I felt the power contained within the ring growing as it absorbed spell after spell.

Finally I saw the glow surrounding her dim and return to normal as she released her hold on the mana. I looked at the ring again and smiled as I blinked to shift back to normal perception. I looked over at Apprentice Pena and chuckled as I saw the look on her face.

"Where did you get that ring, sir?" She asked, walking towards me.

I dropped my hand back to my side and smiled. "It was a gift from a friend. I don't know where she got it from. She won't tell me where she got it and I haven't been able to track down anything fitting its description in any of the books in the Order's libraries." I looked at the ring, turning my hand to look at it all around. It didn't look like much, just a plain ring of an orange-gold metal, looking a mix between silver, copper and gold worked into a band where the designs of the ring itself formed a myriad of strange symbols. I hadn't been able to trace down any of the symbols on the ring to any known alphabet, magical or otherwise.

"What does it do? If you don't mind me asking." She stepped up beside me and looked closely at the ring, looking from it to me and back to it.

I laughed. "I don't mind at all. When activated it absorbs a certain amount of mana coming its way. That is why I wear it on the left side, my defensive side. I generally use it in conjunction with a shield spell. The shield blocks the mana and acts as a funnel to divert the mana into the ring."

"What does it do with the mana when it absorbs it? Does it disperse it back into the Astral or store it or what?"

Shrugging I looked at the ring again. "It absorbs the mana and stores it. I can use any mana that the ring absorbs to power my spells. It won't absorb anything above a certain level though. I don't know why that is, considering it can absorb quite a few spells at that level before it 'fills up'. I have tried to make copies of the ring, but they all turned out to be less than satisfactory. Either they couldn't absorb the mana at the same level or couldn't hold as large of a charge as the original. Once the mana is in the ring it becomes just a power focus."

"Is that why you said you could stop anything I could throw at you?" She asked looking at me.

Nodding I replied. "Yes, Apprentice Pena. I have your most up to date records. It lists the spells that you know and the rating at which you know them. You couldn't have hurt me with your spells unless you caught me unaware of them."

Taking her eyes off of the ring she looked back up at me. "How long will it hold a charge? Indefinitely or does it wear down over time?"

"The ring will hold a charge for a long time. That is another difference between it and my copies. The ones I made lose about one to two rating points per day." I held the hand with the ring on it up. "This ring loses maybe one point a month."

"And you don't know where it came from? Is it safe?"

"I guess it is safe. As I said, I haven't been able to track it down in any of the libraries I have access to. And that is quite a considerable number. Arianna won't tell me where she got it or who made it. She gets downright testy when I ask." I chuckled to myself and smiled as she asked the question that I had known was next.

"Who is Arianna?"

"Arianna is a Free Spirit. I met her... years ago. I was on a quest to the metaplanes to move up an Initiation grade. My quest took me searching for the magic of a mage named Bakkar al-Aswad, or Bakkar the Black." I could see the confusion on her face and smiled. "My research had turned up that this Bakkar the Black was a powerful Arab mage in the time of the Crusades, and for decades before. He was reputed to be a strong mage with many skills. Most were from what many consider the darker side of the magic spectrum, but he was supposed to be powerful. So I went looking for his grimoires."

Skidder
Skidder
66 Followers
12