Uninvited

Story Info
May-December romance blooms in the Cape Cod June.
10.9k words
4.74
143.6k
13
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Author's Note: Thank you to my fabulous Lit friends for editing! You really helped me see this through. And a special thanks to the real life James and Grace. Your story, no matter how it ends, is something you must never regret.

"Grace arrived late last night. Poor thing was tired after the red eye flight from Toronto," Mia said taking a seat at the breakfast table.

At those words, James dropped the muffin he was about to eat into his coffee mug. The resulting splash sprinkled not only on the pale blue damask table cloth, but his shirt as well. Trying to cover up his flub, he responded to his sister's comment.

"Last night? I didn't even hear anyone come in," he blotted at his once pristine white polo. He didn't expect to be as flustered as he was.

"Well, she phoned me from the airport a little after nine because she didn't want to wake up the house. What a sweetheart. That girl doesn't have a thoughtless bone in her body."

The mere mention of Grace Chen sent a spark straight to James' head. Whip smart, funny, and with maturity beyond her age of 32, James' experience with her was limited to a list of e-mails and short phone calls over the last year. Grace lived on the west coast in sunny San Diego, while he resided in the hustle and bustle of the east coast in Boston. Incredulously, over these short missives, he felt the impossible happen. At his distinguished age of 50, James had developed a school boy crush for a woman he had never met.

It started out simple enough. James called his oldest sister Mia last summer with a quandary. He was supposed to be in San Francisco for an important business meeting within 24-hours. However, his assistant was not able to secure a hotel for him. Did his big sis know anyone who could help him? Mia referred him to the daughter of her college roommate and best friend.

"Gracie, she's Ava and Roger's daughter, works with a boutique hotel chain. I'm sure she'd be happy to help," Mia rattled off her number and sent an introductory e-mail before hanging up with James.

When James contacted her an hour later, "Gracie" turned out to be most helpful and congenial young lady. Her voice was so soothing and upbeat; James thought he could see her smile through the phone.

"Auntie Mia sent me an e-mail about your situation. I can't ever refuse her! Let me just call down to our hotel at Union Square, the marketing director owes me one anyway. Would a king room work? Is there a number I can reach you at?"

When James arrived the next morning, he was flabbergasted. The room was a loft suite and at a rate that would qualify as a small miracle even for the stingiest of the budget business travelers. As he stood in the foyer of the suite, the bellboy coughed to get his attention. Turning around, he was presented with an envelope. After tipping the bellboy, James sat down and opened it. Inside was an e-mail from Grace.

Dear Mr. Owens:

Hopefully you'll find these accommodations satisfactory. Don't worry about the price, it is not a typo! Please enjoy yourself during your stay. If you need anything else, during this stay or at any other location, I have listed my contact information. I hope you will send my kindest regards to Auntie Mia and Uncle Nate! Once again, enjoy your stay and good luck in your ventures.

Warmest regards,

Grace R. Chen

The business trip was a soaring success and James was extremely grateful for Grace's assistance. Before leaving, he left an e-mail of his own for Grace.

Dear Ms. Chen:

Your assistance has single-handedly sealed an important deal for me. The suite was perfect for meetings (as well as sleeping in!). If chance happens to have us cross paths in the future, I would very much like to repay you for the favor. Name your price! And as for further business...what do you have in New York next week? I'm joking; I will be contacting your reservations center for that myself. Again, thank you for your assistance and I will certainly pass your greetings to Mia and Nathan.

Sincerely,

James Owens

It was the start of a seemingly platonic situation. Every few weeks, James would call Grace to see about last minute rooms. She would happily help. Their e-mails and phone calls got longer. Each instance gave him a peek into the type of person she was. Grace heard about James' family and business travel experiences, in turn James learned about her life and goings on. More often than not, he left the phone call or finished reading an e-mail laughing due to her quick and lethal wit. From what he gathered, she was an outgoing girl who enjoyed many interests. As their communications became more frequent, James noticed that he was anticipating hearing from her. Once, she went on a business trip for two weeks and James thought there was a space missing in his life.

He brushed that feeling aside quickly.I can't possibly have an attachment to this young woman,James thought. But still he couldn't deny that he wasn't beginning to feelsomething when his phone rang or another e-mail showed up. However, denial was one of James' strong suits. He simply refused to believe that a connection was forming with someone he'd not even met. Besides, she was a good deal younger than he, and that just didn't seem at all right to James or his sensibility.

A few months later, while visiting his niece Kara, he finally set eyes on Grace. Well, sort of. While relaxing in the library of Kara's home, his eyes fell on a photo of a group of people that he assumed were Kara's friends. They were all very nicely dressed and looked like they were having a great time. He picked up the frame and smiled at the very picture of youth in its prime. Thinking about himself, he longed for those days of long ago. Having recently celebrated his birthday, moments like this were more frequent. Sometimes he just ached being as old as he was and divorced.

"What do you have there Uncle James," Kara asked bringing in coffee and dessert. After rebuffing a toddler asking for a cookie, Kara took the photo from him hands. "Oh I see you found the picture from our trip to Las Vegas last month. What a blast!"

She started pointing out people in the picture and their connection to her life. Kara moved from person to person, until she pointed out a figure at the corner of the picture.

"...and that's Gracie, we've known each other sinc-"

"Did you say Gracie? Grace Chen?"

"Why yes, that is Grace Chen. How do you know her?"

"Your mother put me in touch with her when I was in a jam. We've spoken on the phone a few times and correspond by e-mail." He couldn't believe his eyes. James estimated she couldn't be more than five foot one. She was a little stockier than some girls, but she had all the right curves. Grace's raven colored hair and almond shaped eyes complimented her face. A smile lit up her face and outshone anyone else in the picture. As he studied the picture, he realized that Kara had kept moving on with her musings about Grace.

"Gracie is such an amazing person! She's so funny and adventurous. I've never met anyone who can know and talk about so many things! It's a shame that she doesn't have a man in her life...what a catch!"

At that, James knew the gentle squeeze around his heart was the first stages of infatuation. He'd been through it enough. Ever the proper man, he pushed those feelings down every single time he spoke to Grace. However, those feelings were about to break out to the surface.

As the summer drew near, Mia was insistent that James join the family in Falmouth, MA for the summer season. Mia's husband did well enough that they owned a summer house just outside the idyllic little town. While Cape Cod was a great place to go, James didn't feel like it. He kept putting off his sister trying to come up with a better excuse than the last to stay in Boston. In the middle of June he received yet another call from Mia. She would not be deterred.

"James you simplymust come down. I know you're going on vacation for the next two weeks soon. What are you going to do? Waste it in your apartment?"

"And what's wrong with that?" James was irritated at the fact that she was pushing the point.

"Nothing, you stubborn hermit. But your family wants to see you! And besides we're going to have the Porters over starting next weekend..." James tried to zone out the droning on the other end of the line until, "...and little Gracie will be coming to stay for two wee-"

"Alright already, Mia! You win. I'll be there Friday."

Now the small shadow in his life that was Grace Chen had a form. And it was upstairs in a room two doors down from his own.

Grace awoke with the sun warming her face. At first a little startled at her whereabouts, she gradually gained her senses and stretched out in the four poster bed. The flight and ferry to the Cape last night was really pushing it and she barely remembered plopping down into bed after a quick shower and a hasty good night with Mia and Kara. Rolling onto her side, Grace checked the clock. It was nearly 11 o'clock.

"Well, enough of this lazing about – it's vacation time!" Hopping out of bed, Grace walked to the window to see what daylight had brought about. She was greeted with a beautiful view of the green backyard, with its stately trees providing shade. The vista stretched out into the currently clam, blue water that made the Owens-Fraser Family summer house picturesque. Grace noticed a group of kids playing in the backyard. She smiled at their hassle free existence that was a three month summer vacation. Off in the distance, she noticed two figures making their way from the private dock that serviced the house.

Grace's breath caught in her throat. Staring at the forms making their way to the backyard, she wondered which one was James?

James. As Grace closed her eyes, she heard his tender and gentle voice in her head. How many times had she wished his sweet laugh on the phone would change into an admission of interest in her? In the past year, the e-mails were cordial enough, but it was the phone calls that nursed her dream alive. James always asked how she was doing and she would ask the same, soon a fifteen minute business phone call turned into hour long conversations amongst friends.

"But who am I kidding? What do I know about this man?" Turning away from the window, Grace fought with herself. She knew what his favorite cologne was. How much he enjoyed music and movies. She knew he liked a good hot dog and soda at a baseball game over cigars and scotch at the bar. Grace knew from all these little tidbits that he was a man who was kind, knowledgeable, and caring. But was it enough to fall in love with him sight unseen?

"And he's old enough to be your father," Grace sneered out loud, "You always have that going for you."

Getting dressed, she continued to berate herself. Grace had always considered herself to be pragmatic and logical. This fascination with an older man really threw her for a loop. But where did it land her? Early thirties and without a boyfriend. How can she have it all when she didn't evenget some? Tying her sneakers on then looking in the mirror, Grace took a deep breath.

"Why shouldn't I go after him? Why the hell not? Go get 'em tiger!"

Now if only she could convince the person in the mirror to do it.

James casually strode into the expanse of the backyard. He and the other male family members had just returned from a less than successful fishing trip on the dock. Either way, it felt good to be in the air and sun of the Cape. Glancing around, he noted that the house cook had already started grilling up the burgers and hot dogs for lunch. His grand nieces and nephews ran about while the adults lounged around. For a moment, he felt bad about turning down his sister's numerous invitations before coming. Making his way to the cooler, James almost had forgotten how nervous he was earlier.

"Uncle James! Uncle James!" He looked up in the direction of the house and saw Kara. After cracking open the soda in his hand, he waved to Kara who motioned him over. As he walked over, Kara excitedly turned her back to him and was talking with someone at the entrance of the covered porch.

"I can't believe you two haven't met...that's so funny that you two have gotten to know each other that way! I'm sure he'll be glad to meet you," Kara turned and was face to face with her uncle and said, "Oh! Uncle James...this is..."

James never heard the formal announcement of her name. He didn't need to. Looking past his niece, he saw her and knew. Her short, black hair was tied back into pigtails. She removed her sun glasses to reveal a pair of beautiful brown eyes. And though casually dressed in khaki shorts and a fitted green polo shirt, she was as feminine as can be.

"Hello, Mr. Owens" she took his hand – it was so small in his, "I'm glad to finally meet you."

Is that all you can come up with Chen?She thought to herself.Oh come on!But what else could she say? The man towered over her by at least a foot. His salt and pepper hair was mussed by the sea breeze. His hazel eyes smiled down at her. And the rest of him! Well, let's say that time was very kind to him. Desperately trying to make a good impression, all Grace could do was smile back. A moment before she felt like a complete disaster, he replied.

"Mr. Owens? Such a formal greeting," James stepped forward and embraced her, "I believe we're better acquaintances than that, Grace."

James almost couldn't let go. He caught a whiff of her perfume. What was it? Tea roses, yes that was it. Stepping back from the hug he looked down at her. Grace just seemed so delicate in his arms. He couldn't believe that they were actually standing there together.

Kara excused herself to go tend to a crying child. Both Grace and James stood there in a moment of uneasiness. All those safety barriers provided by e-mails and telephone lines disappeared much to the chagrin of the two people standing together.

"Um...would you like to go get a drink and grab a seat?" James ventured, "It looks like lunch is almost ready." Grace nodded and she took the arm he offered as he escorted her into the familial fray. "So, Mia said you took the red eye from Toronto last night...soda or water?"

"Water please," Grace watched James bend down and reach into the cooler. Her heart fluttered as she stared at his backside. "Uh...yeah, Toronto. I had a last minute training session with a hotel property we just purchased into the portfolio."

"Well, I'm...I mean we're glad you made it." Another self-conscious silence befell them.

What the hell, Chen? Grace smiled on the outside, but felt like a gawky teenager.Pull yourself together!

It was Mia who saved them from catastrophe. "Gracie, sweetheart! I'm so glad you're awake. Did you sleep well?" Mia grabbed Grace's hand and led her to where she was sitting. Glancing back at James, she smiled while Mia chattered on. James smiled back and followed them.

Food and group conversation seemed to help everyone relax. James insisted Grace take the last lawn chair. Conversation drifted from topic to topic. Grace was so preoccupied with her nerves that she didn't realize how hungry she was. Attacking her burger with gusto, she finally found the familiar groove that was discussion. Once the food was gone, everyone leaned back in the sun, satisfied and sated. Mia's husband Nathan, joined James on the grass, kicking back.

"So James, how about those Bo Sox? Can they do it again?"

"Always faithful, Nate. Always faithful." Baseball was one of those things sacred to James.

Mia sipped her iced tea, "Bah! Baseball. I was never really much into sports growing up. Honestly, I don't see the point." James was about to lecture his sister on the virtues of baseball, when he was caught unawares.

"Baseball is the life blood of American sports." James turned to see who had said that. He was shocked when he realized that it was Grace. Downing the rest of her water, she continued animatedly, "It's the ultimate team sport. Nine guys on a field. It's nostalgia. It's history. It's something that is completelyours. How can younot like it?"

Kara laughed, "Gracie, I forget what a fanatic you are about baseball. I remember in college, she would always be pouring over the sports section in the middle of a lecture."

"Hey, I'm a MLB girl through and through. Nothing better than an afternoon at the ball park for me."

"Well, I don't know about baseball being the ultimate team sport," Nathan said getting up, "But I know I'm in the mood for some football! Who's in?"

A mix of kids and adult males moved about picking sides. The ladies got up and moved their seats to watch the game. Grace got up from her seat and jogged out to where they were playing. Shaking himself, James got up and called out to her.

"Grace, wait up!" She stopped and turned around. Hand on her hip, she smiled that smile he already felt like he couldn't live without. "So, who do you root for?"

"The Padres, naturally."

"The Padres?" James tried not to snort. "An NL team?"

"Oh, a baseball snob, Mr. Red Sox?" They started walking again, "Next thing you'll tell me is that I have no appreciation for the tradition of the game."

"No, I wouldn't think of ever insulting you like that!" They shared a laugh.

Nathan called from the playing field, "Grace, James...you guys in or what?"

"I'm your girl Uncle Natty!"

"Great! James, you play on the other side to make things even."

James was incredulous, "You like football too?"

"Yes, I do," Grace replied as if it were the most natural thing in the world. "Now try and keep up with me, okay?" Playfully, she slapped James' bottom with her hand and ran away.

Grace Chen, do you have any idea what you've done to me? Shaking his head, James joined the game.

He was hooked on her. Hooked like an addict. The day progressed and James found himself trying to stay close to her. After football, an afternoon excursion on the family boat was organized. On the boat, he called her up to the bow any time he needed assistance with something. After about the third time, she settled herself next to him where they talked amicably for the rest of the trip. Kara was right; Gracie did know a lot of stuff to talk about. They laughed at similar jokes. They told stories. She was intellectually equal and very quick. This was something he hadn't had the pleasure of experiencing in a very long time.

Arriving back on the dock, everyone went their separate ways before dinner. Grace was disembarking and headed up back to the house, when she felt a tap on her shoulder. "Hey, can I walk with you?" It was that honey smooth voice she had become enamored with. James brought himself even with her and slowed down her walking pace.

"Sure. I'm just headed up to the house." A small shiver went down her spine as she realized that everyone was ahead of them.

"Let's take a detour. Have you seen the gardens around the house? They're really pretty this time of day."

Grace looked up at James. She was struck at how boyish he looked, even with those gentle laugh lines. "That...that would be nice."

They walked side by side, talking about books they had recently read. To Grace, it was oddly comforting. Almost like one of their telephone calls. When they reached the garden, James changed the direction of the conversation. "You know, I really do appreciate all the help you've given me over the last year."

"Oh, not a problem at all, James." Hands behind her back, Grace walked at a deliberate pace. She felt happy to be in his company. She hadn't felt that way about someone in a very long time. "I'm only glad to help."

"Well, thank you anyway." Sunset was almost upon them. Everything was touched in a gold hue. The scent of the sea mixed with the sweet hyacinth that surrounded them. James inhaled, trying to find more words, "So, uh, what's going on with your life right now?"