Valley of Sinners Ch. 07

Story Info
A break-in, and trouble for Monty.
11.6k words
4.66
20.9k
00

Part 7 of the 8 part series

Updated 10/31/2022
Created 11/25/2006
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

SO FAR: Divorcee Hope Honeybun's interest in young Mr Carson is that Nash writes a little and seems to have a worldly attitude so she commissions him to write a novel based on her colorful and turbulent life, much of which spans the time she has lived in the valley. Nash hears with interest about the development of the valley and about her lusty father and his women and reasons he must probe to find out about Hope's sex life. It appears this is a Valley of Sinners. He has indulged himself in one sinner and Hope's daughter Lisa arrives home and her interest in Nash appears heading for a lusty coupling but she returns to Sydney without that happening. Author Nash learns about illegitimate children and that Hope has made provision to compensate for these sins of her late father. There are two dangerous men as Hope terms them in the valley and she becomes increasingly concerned as she finds Nash is beginning to learn too much and the passing interest her youngest daughter had in Nash appears to be turning into a fixation.

*

In drifting off to sleep Hope Honeybun had been thinking of her long dead father. She'd brought him to mind because this novel she had commissioned, now changing form to become Hope's autobiography. Talking about the project kept reviving his influence -- good and bad; after all, he was one of the original sinners of the valley.

Her mind slipped back to 1993.In mid-March of that year, two months after his seventy-second birthday, Cedric Honeybun watched the last of the hand-picked grapes in the Home Paddock being trucked off to the winery with Hope leaning on the rail of the balcony beside him.

"Neven is expecting this vintage will be our best Montgomery Cab/Sav and optimistically has ordered labels to be worded Montgomery's Reserve Home Paddock Cabernet Sauvignon," Hope said. "This is surprising because the prediction for the whole district is for an average vintage."

"Averages don't automatically apply to micro-climates and localized weather patterns," retorted her father. "It looks as if I'll be achieving my high hopes for that block at last. The vines are getting some age on them now and we've had a wonderful run of weather this season -- actually the fewest days of high humidity that I can recall. Drago's stepped up supervision also has resulted in improved vine management. I am very pleased. By the way, how's Marko getting on with his studies?"

"Very well, according to Neven, but he would be expected to say that, with Marko being the baby of the family," Hope said. "Marko's home at present and is sharing wine-making duties with Neven. According to Neven he's a pain in the ass to work with as he's insisting old equipment be replaced, which is costing them a packet, and is fastidious about winery hygiene." "Good for Marko, as that's the way it has to be even for low-cost wines they output," Cedric nodded. "The days of making wine commercially by doing what daddy did are over, well and truly, and even Neven accepts that."

"Yes daddy. They begin their new executive structure this next season. Neven remains managing director of course, but removes himself from wine-making duties. He'll switch completely to winery management and director of marketing. Drago will continue to be director of field operations and takes on Neven's responsibilities for building maintenance, while Marko becomes chief winemaker with responsibility for production line operations and equipment maintenance and replacement. Dog's body Mimi will continue to run the day to day operation will be conferred with the new title of sales manager."

"Yes, I saw the write up about her appointment in the local newspaper. I guess you left that page open for me to spot?"

"Yes, daddy. I'm a good girl, aren't I?"

"Only the best, love," Cedric said, placing an arm over her shoulder and hugging her affectionately. "Come on, jump into the Chevy and take me to town and shout me lunch to celebrate our end to harvest. Mimi says the big party will be held Saturday week when all crushing and pressing will have been completed and the juice from contract growers in Poverty Bay will have arrived and gone into fermentation tanks. The red grapes will come later from Hawkes Bay."

"Poverty Bay is now generic Gisborne, daddy. Poverty Bay does not fit with modern day marketing imagining."

"It was Poverty Bay when I went to school, and will remain Poverty Bay geographically to me," Cedric growled.

"Yes, a little like an official geographical authority change that turned Mt Egmont back to Mt Taranaki."

"Mt Taranaki? Never heard of it," Cedric said slyly but was ignored.

On the Monday after the fabulous Saturday night dinner-dance at the winery, Cedric was home alone. Hope had left the previous day to spend two days with friends in Hamilton. The phone went -- it was Mimi. Neven had gone sailing for a couple of days, so Mimi wondered if Cedric would like to go out for lunch. Cedric knew of course, she was letting him know that Neven was out of town and that she could manage to evade the rest of the extended family, so he invited Mimi to come over and wear something sexy.

After Cedric's death Mimi told Hope about this occasion as Cedric had discussed it with her. He put down the phone thoughtfully: Hope away for two days and Neven away for two days; was that's a coincidence or not? One or both could be lying about their whereabouts. Cedric didn't worry about Mimi making the possible connection of adultery between her husband and Hope -- those two were at it long before Neven came across Mimi in France and she chased after him to snare him as her husband. What will be, will be. Instead, he had something far more serious occupying his mind.

On Friday at lunch in Henderson with his old schoolmate, Toby Smith, Toby had given him bad news. Tests results confirmed that Cedric had advanced prostrate cancer. Toby had urged Cedric to enter hospital immediately as there was a chance that surgery could prolong his life with relatively modest discomfort.

"I'll let you known my decision in a few days, 'Dickhead'," 'Spunky' Honeybun had grinned. "Now finish your claret and I'll get us another couple of glasses. Not a word to Hope, do you hear?"

'Dickhead' sighed and nodded. That request of non-disclosure had been expected, as he was also Hope's medical practitioner.

Mimi arrived looking ripe for the plucking. Physically she was shorter and a little plumper than Hope and was two years younger. Rather than greet her with a kiss, Cedric nuzzled between her half exposed breasts. Mimi closed her eyes and partly melted with a groan, pressing into him.

"Lunch first, or after," Cedric offered. Although they were standing outside the front door, in view of the roadway below, Mimi unzipped and dropped her dress, leaving her dressed only in a sexy bra and high-heel shoes.

Cedric growled, seized the front of her bra with hands strengthen by almost four decades of veterinary practice -- dealing mainly with horses -- and ripped it apart. Mimi squealing unrestrainedly and had her first orgasm. Cedric picked her up and carried her indoors, leaving the dress and ruined bra behind them. He also knew his condition was making it more difficult to perform but had taken pain-killers to avoid extreme discomfort.

Their age difference of thirty-three years could seem a barrier to sex by some people on age alone but not to Mimi or Cedric. He was unable to recall ever shafting a woman older than himself and the age difference between himself and the rural mail delivery woman who occasionally arrived at his door with a parcel and received more than a thank you if Hope was away from home was forty-two years.

Cedric had almost missed Neven and Mimi's wedding ceremony -- which marked the occasion when he signaled his sexual desire to entertain Mimi after marriage -- because he'd been out to humanely dispose of a pony that had broken a leg at the local pony club gymkhana. The eight-year-old rider was inconsolable, screaming hysterically at her parents when Cedric returned from supervising the removal of the pony by volunteers who lifted the body into a horse float.

Cedric simply went down on one knee, held out his arms and the child ran to him and within a minute was reduced to quietly sobbing. The parents and friends were astonished.

"What's your name, love?" Cedric had asked.

"Carol."

"Well, Carol. I'll talk to your dad. I know of a lively young pony just broken in. It is a pony just made for you. If you and your dad are agreeable, I'll deliver it to your paddock before you get home from school on Monday."

"Please -- yes, we accept," interjected the girl's mother.

Cedric looked at the father, who nodded and the girl left Cedric's arms, nodding vigorously at him while walking backwards into her mother's embrace.

"Just do it, no matter at what cost," the father whispered to Cedric.

Cedric looked surprised. "Oh, I'm buying the pony for Carol. I'm not going to half ruin her young life by destroying her beloved pony without providing its replacement, a quite superior replacement."

The vet then strode off to his vehicle, leaving Carol's parents looking stunned.

"How will he know where to bring my new pony?" asked Carol.

"I gave him my card," said her father.

Neven, looking very spic in a beautifully fitting grey morning suit was about to enter the church with his attendants and parents when Cedric completed his dash to the church.

"Ah, Cedric. I was told you were called out to an emergency at the pony club. I was hoping you would arrive in time for the best part of the day -- my speech."

The two men playfully punched each other on the arm and Josip then led his wife, son and attendants into the church.

A few minutes later the bridal party arrived. Cedric came up behind Mimi in her short white lace wedding gown and wide-brimmed lace hat that already had given Hope and her attendants attempting to kiss her, all sorts of problems.

Cedric, a tall man, looked down into the startled blue-grey eyes as he said "May I?" Without waiting for a reply, pulled out the hat pin, removed the hat and kissed Mimi on both cheeks. He then replaced the hat at a more rakish angle, thereby improving her kissability, and with the delicate hands of a long-practicing surgeon replaced the hat pin.

"You look lovely, adorable in fact Mimi. May you have a happy life with your likable rogue."

Walking away to talk to Hope, Cedric once again thought about looking into Mimi's grey-blue eyes. Since he'd first gazed into them some three months earlier he'd fondly thought that it was likely Mimi would come to him when she was ready. She might not, of course, but did that really matter? It didn't.

Almost a year after the wedding, Cedric received a late-night phone call from Neven, who sounded grumpy.

"Hi, Mimi's cat is sick. She wants you to come quickly."

"Sorry Neven, you know I only administer to large animals."

"That's okay. I'd told her that. Bye."

Cedric had resumed reading a dopey book about girl's love for her champion equestrian horse when the phone went again.

"Sorry, Cedric. It's Mimi. Please come," she sobbed.

The sobbing got to Cedric.

"I'm on my way."

The phone clicked without Mimi saying anything, but Cedric caught the beginning of a great wailing of relief.

"Damn cats," he muttered.

Mimi met him at the door, wearing a floral robe. Her hair was messed up, her eyes red-rimmed. Cedric thought she looked marvelous -- ready for a ravaging.

"Sorry, Neven's gone back to bed. He's been out drinking with his brothers so is almost out on his feet."

"Never mind Neven, where's this cat?"

"She's in her basket."

Mimi had class, as Cedric well-knew, having had her living in his home before the wedding and seeing her many times since, so expected to be shown a white Persian or something similar. Instead it was a common tabby.

"Her name is Riva."

"Haven't heard that one before."

"It's French for river bank. I found her straying on the river bank."

Cedric conducted a quick examination, and opened his bag.

"What's wrong with her?"

"A virus, I believe, or cat flu to you. I'll give her a shot and then run a drip into her -- she's very dehydrated."

"An injection? Will that hurt?"

Cedric looked into the alarmed blue-grey eyes and his heart throbbed.

"I'll be as gentle as I can. Perhaps you would like to hold Riva?"

Mimi nodded and picked up the feline lovingly.

The animal barely reacted as the needle went in, leading Cedric to believe her survival was touch and go. He increased the dose of antibiotic but accepted the best bet was to increase Riva's level of body fluids and allow her own body to fight the hostile invasion.

"Mimi, if you wish to continue holding Riva I want you to kneel down on the floor and hold her in your lap. Then I want you to hold this bottle up high while I insert the needle."

Without hesitation Mimi was sitting back on her legs, holding Riva in her lap and holding up her other arm to take the saline container. Cedric inserted the needle and when adjusting the drip flow noticed that Mimi's left breast had popped out between the cross-over fold of her gown.

"Here, let my put this back," he offered. Mimi lifted the saline bottle outwards to facilitate Cedric's task. She didn't jump when his calloused hands gently cupped the breast to lift it back."

"A lovely shape and obviously you sunbath topless."

Mimi nodded without displaying embarrassment.

Cedric remained talking, talking the bottle from her, and as soon as the bottle emptied removed the needle and packed up.

"Stay with her for a while if you wish, but I would suggest go to your own bed soon and put her basked near your side of the bed. She'll know you're close by urging for her recovery."

"You're a wonderful man, Cedric. Thank you for coming to Riva's rescue."

Cedric had no intention of communicating his grim prognosis on Riva's chances, so left, saying he'd see himself out.

Next morning Hope called him to the phone just after seven.

"It's Mimi."

As soon as he placed the receiver to his ear, Cedric guessed the news, as he heard heavy breathing, but breathing without despondency.

"She's better, quite a lot better, and has just drank a little water. That's a good sign, isn't it?"

"A very good sign. I'll call about eight-thirty and give Riva another injection."

"Thank you, Cedric. How can I repay you?"

Artfully Cedric let that question hang for a moment. Then pretending to clear his throat said, "You will take care of it in your own way. I will be instructing Hope not to bill you."

A few minutes later Neven watched the needle go into Riva but suddenly had to sit down.

"Give him a glass of water," advised Cedric. He packed up and left the room.

Mimi accompanied him to the door. Cedric turned to say goodbye but as he turned Mimi circled his neck with her arm, pulled his head down and kissed him fully on the lips. Then, without a word she nodded to him unsmilingly and went back into the house. That really gave Cedric something to think about until arriving at his next job.

Five days later Mimi phoned Cedric.

"Neven has gone into the city for lunch. Are you able to have lunch with me?"

"Yes," Cedric had replied. "I can adjust my schedule accordingly."

"Good, let's have a picnic over on Te Henui River bank at 12:30. There's a dirt track on the northern side of Johnson's bridge."

"Yes, I know it."

"Drive along it for a couple of hundred yards where it widens with enough room to turn and park. Walk forward for another twenty or thirty yards and you'll see a narrow track going down to the river bank. That's where I found Riva, who is now back to her old self. I'll see you any time after 12:30, no problem if you are running late."

"Good. Wear something sexy."

Excepting to hear an astonished gasp, Cedric instead heard Mimi practically purr: "I already had that in mind."

That's how they got together. Mimi only allowed him to finger her that day but on the next occasion there were no restraints.

Those wonderful days had occurred fourteen years ago and the relationship continued reasonably regularly over the years, with Mimi insisting there was too much sex in her for only one man. Cedric's reply was they seemed to have that in common.

Returning his thoughts to the present, Cedric went outside and returned with Mimi's dress and burned her bra on the barbecue. Hunting through Hope's dresser he found one of her old, smaller bras and handed it to Mimi as she emerged from the shower.

"Thanks -- I'll put it on later. We'll be into it again after lunch, won't we?"

"How could I possibly refuse such a charming offer," Cedric leered, happy to feel wanted.

Less than a week later Cedric was dead, struck down in the village by a truck delivering grape juice to Hausman's Winery. Three witnesses saw Cedric step off the pavement without looking, straight into the path of the heavy truck. The police and the coroner determined it was an accidental death.

A week after the funeral Hope was preparing to send out accounts for work performed by her father before his death. Checking through the concertina invoice file under 'H' she found a sealed letter addressed to 'My Darling Hope'. It was in her father's handwriting.

'I am sorry to be saying goodbye this way, my darling Hope, but I can think of no better way. You see I have been diagnosed with advanced prostrate cancer and I'm not in with a chance as it has begun to spread. Doc Smith advised me to have surgery but admitted the end is only a matter of time, and it would be a painful ending for me and a distressing ending for you. This way I shorten the distress for you. Throughout your life you have made me a happy man, darling. You have been the most devoted offspring any man could wish for. My only regret was I foreshortened the time we had together with your mother. These things happen. My will was updated last year so there is no reason why anyone -- apart from Doc Smith -- should suspect my death was anything but accidental. Never let on to him that you now know about my medical condition. This is the best outcome, darling. Believe me. It's my choice so please go and burn this letter now and get on with your life. I know you love me darling.

Your Daddy for always.'

Being a sensible woman, Hope had emerged from a short grieving period to be an even stronger person. Within a few days she'd accepted her father's decision to end his life. Mimi had been the most grief-stricken person of all. During one of their nights away from the valley, Hope and Neven had discussed whether Mimi and Cedric had possibly had an affair, but neither felt confident about believing such an assumption.

"You ask her if you like, but I don't have the guts to ask her," said big brave Neven. Well, it's a closed book so why try to open it, thought Hope guiltily. She'd gone through her father's diaries and had found appointment times with 'M' but then there were other appointment times with only the first letter of someone's name and no helpful clues. It had been embarrassing, however, to find five entries in which her father noted his suspicions that Hope and Neven were continuing to have an affair. Hope had already decided never to raise those notations with Neven, which was a pity; she would have loved to have seen his face change! She'd never seen the looks of horror and deep guilt on Neven's face.

Hope awoke aware she'd been revisiting the past, a mix of what she'd observed and what he and after his death Mimi had told her one glorious summer afternoon when they were already half intoxicated by drinking French wine from the cellar. Her father's memory would never leave her and memories of him and the valley were inextricably bound.

Aware that Nash was pacing around, ready to go, Hope took her time dressing down for the evening as well as removing her bright nail polish and applying a modest amount of make-up. A matriarch, even a somewhat youngish person for that role, was expected to look the part of a matriarch.