Vegas: Bk 02 Ch. 07

Story Info
The cops are informed.
10.4k words
4.84
9k
1
0
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

CHAPTER SEVEN: THE COPS ARE INFORMED

Despite the early hour, Holly had already showered. The shrill ring of her cell phone disturbed her thoughts. It was that phone. She allowed the phone to ring out and listened to the message.

"You know who this is?" asked the voice when she returned the call.

"Yes."

"It's Big Eddie."

She sighed. "I said I know who it is."

His voice sounded agitated. "We have a slight problem."

She did not like problems but in her line of work they were inevitable. Overcoming them was what counted. She picked up the cup and sipped at her coffee.

His voice became more stressed. "Did you hear? I said we have a slight problem."

"I hear," she softly responded.

She replaced the cup and picked up her silencer. "Which is?"

"The target has flown to Los Angeles today. Some pow-wow with his father. He won't be back until tomorrow morning."

Damn, she thought. Tomorrow was the Final Table. She had hoped to still be involved. She looked along the sight of the gun, aiming out of the window at a passing cab before pulling away.

"Then tomorrow it will be," she said. She laid the silencer back on the bed. "Get me the number of his return flight."

Before he could reply, she closed the call. With time on her hands, she would seek out Daniel. They could breakfast together.

*

Despite his early morning session with Rosie, Daniel awoke early. Her agreement to stay with him until she returned to work had lifted his spirits. The quiet call he made to Norman Chad had not disturbed her and he left her sleeping as he headed down to the Rio All-American Bar and Grille.

He had told Chad about Katherine. Not everything, but enough. He could have contacted the police himself but had he done so, they would undoubtedly have taken him in for questioning. That would have meant missing a substantial part of the Main Event today. So Chad agreed to be the conduit.

He was on his third cappuccino when he saw Chad. He was with a thickset well-dressed man in a dark blue suit. They headed straight over to Daniel.

"Daniel," Chad said. "This is Detective Williams. He's just the man you need."

"Call me Dan," the crinkly haired Detective said as he shook Daniel's hand. He sat down in the chair across the table.

"I'll be back shortly," said Chad. "I've related what you told me, Daniel. I've also explained that I know nothing of any of this. Detective Williams knows you're at the poker tables at noon. Catch up with you in half an hour."

Daniel watched his friend leave and then slowly sat back down. When his waitress returned, Williams ordered an espresso. Then he turned to Daniel.

"Quite a win of yours last year," he said.

His tone made Daniel wonder whether it was a compliment. But then he didn't really care.

"I play a little poker myself, but not in your league. I watched all the broadcasts of the Main Event, always do. You were pretty lucky."

Daniel ignored the jibe. He was pretty well immune to the barbed comments he'd been subject to since his win. And right now, he was as nervous as hell. He needed to get this over with.

"Okay," Williams said as the waitress returned with his drink. "Tell me what you told Chad."

Daniel waited until the waitress had returned to the counter and then explained all he knew.

Williams occasionally interrupted to pick up on points requiring clarification but otherwise sat silently. From time to time he nodded knowingly, but in the main seemed content to simply make notes.

"That all?" he asked when Daniel had finished.

Not quite, Daniel thought. I fucked Katherine before we went back to her flat and then watched her having sex with a guy through the window of the mansion.

"Isn't that enough," he responded, keeping his thoughts to himself. "Don't you need to find out what went on?"

"Oh, I have a good idea of what's happened," drawled Williams. "The question is proving it."

Daniel stared at him, his brow furrowed. Williams smiled as he leant forward across the table. His eyes narrowed as if he was attempting to read Daniel's mind. Then he smiled again and ran his hand through his heavily gelled black hair.

"We've been after this guy for some time and this could be his first real mistake. You realise you'll have to testify"

Daniel started to object but Williams held up his right hand. "That wasn't a question," he coldly said.

"It was a statement. But..."

He eased himself up from his chair, flicking his notebook closed. He stared at Daniel for a moment and then gave another cold smile before finishing his sentence.

"Don't worry. The deal with Chad was that we wouldn't interrupt your poker today. And if by chance you get through to the Final Table, we'll let you play tomorrow, too."

He slipped his hat onto his head, flicking the brim. He was a caricature of so many of the Police Detectives that Daniel had seen on television.

"You staying at the Rio?" he asked.

Daniel nodded.

"We'll be in touch. And good luck with the poker. Let's hope lightening does strike twice."

*

Carly slipped into the restrooms at the Carousel Club. Having just re-opened after the shooting, it was relatively quiet.

Everyone was still feeling jittery and Ming had spoken that morning. Rosie had been given a couple of days off because of the traumatic circumstances. The rest of them would receive double pay. The news had immediately changed the mood and the normal buzz quickly returned.

She dialled Joshua's number and was relieved when he answered in seconds.

"Joshua, baby. It's Carly. I was hoping I might be able to sneak away to see you today but I've gotta work."

"Just as well," he grunted. "I'm in Los Angeles."

She paused. "Los Angeles.... but what about me?"

"Take it easy," he grunted. "I'm back in Vegas tomorrow. I just need to talk to my father."

"There's been a shooting here," she whispered.

"I know. I arranged it."

"You arranged it? Joshua! Why didn't you tell me?"

"Better not to involve you, baby. The less you know the better. What's happening now?"

She sighed heavily. Murder was one thing she had not bargained for.

"Joshua," she began. Her voice was faltering slightly. "Good news. I've got the job."

"I knew you would. What's happened?"

"Apart from murder?" she rather petulantly asked.

"Watch that tone, babe," he responded. The coldness in his voice indicated she had gone a step too far.

"Sorry," she replied. "The shooting's just got everyone a little jittery."

"Go on," he simply said.

"I was interviewed by the owner, Ming. I convinced her I was right for the job. They have no idea I work for you."

"Good girl. It's essential it stays that way. What have you found out?"

"A couple of things," she answered. "The Club definitely has some connection with Big Eddie."

"You've seen him?"

"No, from what I can gather he never makes an appearance. But someone called Desmond does and Ming seems wary of him."

"Not for much longer," he coldly said. "He's next on my list."

"What?"

"I don't have fucking time for questions," he snapped. "What else do you know?"

"I'm pretty sure they pay protection money..."

"That figures!"

"And there's a guy here called Parker." She hesitated. She wasn't going to tell Joshua too much about Parker. "He looks after the financial side here."

"What about him?"

"He produces blue movies on the side."

"Well, I'll be damned."

"Yeah, he was pretty cagey when he told me. I don't think Ming knows."

"Why did he tell you?" he asked, his voice suddenly wary.

Carly thought quickly. "He wants me to appear in one."

Joshua burst out into a loud guffaw. "That's priceless! You'll have to send me a copy."

"Joshua!"

"Find out whatever else you can about the movies," he instructed. "That little piece of information could come in very useful. By the time I finish, neither Big Eddie nor the Club will still exist."

"Hold on, baby," she whispered, hearing the click of heels just outside the door.

Her heart leapt as she waited, covering the mouth of the phone as if it would make her invisible. At last, the footsteps faded. She heaved a long sigh of relief.

"This is dangerous, baby. I'll call again when I can."

"Anything else?" he barked.

"Isn't that enough?"

His voice softened. "You've done very well, babe. I won't forget to reward you when I've figured all of this out. Okay?"

"Yes," she whispered. "You know I'd do anything to help you, Joshua."

"I know babe. Get me anything else you can..."

She flicked her cell phone closed. Grinning at herself in the mirror, she quickly left. It was time to get back to the bar before she was missed.

As the door closed behind her, the door to one of the stalls opened. The look on Ming's face was one of quiet determination.

*

Daniel pushed his half full plate away. He and Holly had enjoyed their breakfast in Norman Chad's company but the conversation with Williams was heavy on his mind.

"Nervous, Daniel?" asked Holly. She could not know the real reason for his pensive mood.

"Kind of," he replied with a wistful grin. He decided to ignore his meeting with the surly Detective and play along with Holly's theme. "But in a strange way, it still feels like I'm on a rollercoaster."

Her raised eyebrow asked him the silent question.

"To begin with, my biggest fear was making a fool of myself and losing all the credibility I've built up during the year."

The sexy blonde laughed. "Surely last year's victory gave you all the credibility a person could get?"

He smiled ruefully and glanced at Chad, who replied for him.

"The thing is, Holly," he smiled. "Nowadays, winning the Main Event is no guarantee of greatness. People look at Chris Moneymaker and think he got lucky. And as for Jamie Gold..."

They all laughed. Most people's opinion of Jamie Gold was similar.

"But Daniel here," he continued, "He's shown with his performances this year that he's a true champion. He's now regarded as highly as say, Raymer and Hachem."

"I think I understand," she said, attracting two pairs of eyes as she straightened her blouse.

"And the thing is," Daniel said, drawing his gaze away. He picked up on his earlier theme, "My survival to this stage has brought me that additional credibility. So now, rather than worrying about that aspect, I want to go out and win the damn thing!"

Chad nodded. "And you've put yourself in a good position to do so. Luck will play its usual part, but with nine tables and forty-five players left, you and Doyle are the only two people remaining that have experienced victory!"

Holly nodded, looking sombre for a second before breaking into a broad smile. "The problem is," she eventually said, "you've got to get past me first."

*

Parker wondered why Ming had suddenly left the club that morning. But with Julie asking to see him, it was convenient she was out of the way. The twenty year-old gave a soft, nervous tap on the office door.

"Come in," he drawled.

She fidgeted nervously as she entered, unsure whether she wanted to be there at all. But there she was.

"Well, well," he said. "You usually run away from me, not towards me."

She made no move. Her eyes flicked around the empty office.

"Better make your mind up, darlin'. If you are coming in, close the door."

The raven-haired beauty slowly turned and closed the door behind her. Parker feasted his eyes on the firm buttocks pushing against her skirt. At most, she wore a thong he imagined. Hopefully, he'd soon find out. When she turned back towards him, her sparkling green eyes were apprehensive.

Her superb unsupported breasts heaved in time with her heavy breathing. But it was the nipples, temptingly in evidence against the material of her thin cream blouse, that aroused him most.

For a moment, neither of them spoke. The silence lingered in the air between them. His mind raced as to why she wanted to see him. Suddenly, the light in his brain went on. It was his proposition! She needed the money!

He gave a reassuring soft smile and motioned toward the chair opposite Ming's desk.

"Okay, Julie. I'm not going to bite. You really have the wrong impression of me, you know."

The look in her eyes told him she didn't believe a word. That didn't prevent him from shooting another comforting look as he leant back in his seat.

"I assume you are here for a reason?"

The brunette made no immediate answer. Instead she silently sat down. She crossed her slender legs and kept her eyes down, looking into her lap. Eventually, she met his gaze.

"You said you could help me and Bobby," she said.

He nodded thoughtfully. Thumping both feet onto Ming's desk, he responded, "Well actually, Julie, I said I could help you, not Bobby."

"That's the same thing," she retorted.

"To you it is, not to me. I take it this has to do with your money trouble?"

She nodded. For a second, Parker thought she was going to burst into tears. But she threw her head back. Her short black hair bounced for a second.

"We... we need money," she softly said. Her voice was so low he could hardly hear her.

"You need money," he corrected. He locked one foot across the other on the desk.

Her eyes flashed. She wasn't going to play games. "Okay. I need money."

"How much?" he asked. His eyes locked on her face.

"Five thousand dollars."

Parker let out a low whistle. Her eyes widened. She looked close to tears again.

"I knew I shouldn't have asked," she half sobbed. "You can't help me."

She was halfway out of his seat when his words stopped her.

"Oh, I can help you, Julie. In fact, that's around the amount I had in mind when we spoke the other day,"

Her green eyes widened even further. As she sat down again with a slight bump, her breasts bounced deliciously under her blouse. Parker licked his lips at the sight. Play this right, he told himself, and you'll be sampling those soon.

She tried to speak but the words would not come out. "H... how...." she eventually managed to stutter.

Parker rose and walked around the desk. Her sparkling eyes nervously followed him. He straightened his red, silk tie, smiling at his reflection in the mirror on the wall next to her.

"I produce films," he simply said.

He smoothed a hand through his hair as their eyes met in the mirror. The raven-haired beauty looked away. He saw the frown cover her forehead and knew the next few seconds would determine whether she would bite.

"What kind of films?" she asked, glancing nervously at him over her shoulder.

His smile was chilling. "Julie. You'll appreciate my films aren't exactly mainstream. They involve... a little sex."

He felt her gasp. She started to rise, but the hands he slipped onto her slim shoulders held her in the chair.

"Julie, you're not an innocent," he persuasively rasped. "We both know you would not be here right now if you were not desperate. My reading is that you need this money pretty quickly?"

She made no answer but let out an involuntary whimper.

"And we both know that five thousand dollars doesn't fall from trees, don't we?"

Parker began to rub her shoulders. His strong fingers dug into her tense muscles through the material of the blouse.

"Julie," he continued, his voice cajoling. "I'm making a film in two days time. For one days... work... I'll pay you five grand. Just think about it."

She sat quietly. He knew she was tempted by his proposition. In normal circumstances, the girl would not have gone within a million miles of such an offer. This Bobby of hers must be in serious trouble.

"Julie," his soft, comforting voice continued. "It's a way out of all your troubles. I know how tough this must be for you. I can feel the tension in your shoulders. Try to relax and think about what I'm saying."

As he spoke, Parker eased his fingers forward. They dipped down over the slope of her shoulders and edged closer to her unfettered breasts. He continued his persuasion.

"Don't throw this chance away. One day's work, Julie. What do you think?"

Once she had complied, she would be his to use time and time again. The threat of showing the film to all and sundry would see to that. He was close to getting her to that point. Otherwise, she would have been out of that chair and the office by now.

"When do you need the money?" his cunning voice asked.

She gulped. "A thousand by the day after tomorrow." Her voice was hoarse. "The rest within two weeks!"

Parker kept the pressure on. "I'm assuming bad things will happen to Bobby if you don't find the money?"

She slowly nodded.

He smiled. This was getting better and better. "Let's work on that tension whilst you think," he whispered.

Parker lightly massaged her lower neck. His fingers dug into the soft skin just inside the fabric of her blouse. Each stroke edged a little more of the material apart and gradually revealed the swell of her cleavage. He could feel himself growing hard.

"Please, stop, Parker," she said, her voice a strained whisper. It was difficult to think. She lifted her right hand onto his.

He could see her nipples pushing against the material. His soft caresses were having the desired effect. So was his promise of a way out. He needed to help her find a way across the mental barrier.

"Julie, we need to get rid of all that tension. You know that. And five thousand dollars... five thousand dollars! No more problems. You and Bobby will be free to move forward. Isn't that what you want?"

She dropped her hand away from his. "I... I don't know..."

"You don't know if you want to help Bobby?" he asked, twisting her words. "You don't know if you want to free yourself from all that debt and start a better life?"

"Of course I do," she quickly answered. Her voice was sharp.

"And I'm making it possible, Julie."

His stroking fingers dipped lower inside her blouse. They flirted with the swell of her breasts. Her delectable mounds erotically rose and fell.

"Parker, I can't think straight," she whispered. Despite herself, she rested her head back against his stomach.

*

Following her phone call to Desmond, Big Eddie wanted to meet Ming. It was an opportunity to assess this dame for himself. Desmond had given him good reports and he needed to validate them.

The large mansion he chose as a meeting place was the home of a business friend. Bruno had earned a worldwide recognition for the quality of his photographic work and his model wife Amaka had regularly appeared on the covers of just about every famous magazine across the world.

The owners made themselves scarce for the duration of the meeting and Eddie carefully evaluated everything she had to say. Once she had given him the low down on Carly's infiltration and Parker's sideline, he thanked her and held her arm as walked her out to her car.

"I hope I've done the right thing," Ming said, looking down at the contrast between the blackness of his hand and her pale arm.

"Absolutely," he replied with a soft smile. "I needed to know about both of those situations."

She gave a nervous smile as she unlocked the car.

"The one thing I've learned in business, above everything else, is that you need people you can trust."

Eddie's eyes never left hers as he spoke, even now looking for a reaction that would send an alarm bell chiming in his brain.

"By contacting us, you've proven that, Ming," he added.

His eyes devoured her legs as she opened the door and eased herself into the driver's seat. Despite her skirt riding up her thigh, she made no move to cover herself. He nodded in appreciation as she willingly allowed him to feast on her long legs.

"At some stage," he growled, "You and I are gonna have a more intimate conversation."

Ming smiled as if she could imagine what that conversation would involve.

"But for now, we do as we agreed. You leave this Parker and his film making to us. But you tell him about the Carly broad. We'll take care of the rest."