Vegas Ch. 02

Story Info
Vegas awaits.
11.1k words
4.62
16.1k
2

Part 2 of the 11 part series

Updated 09/22/2022
Created 10/29/2007
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I have long wanted to write a storyline that is different to anything else that has been published on this site. This is it.

Although the central theme of the publication is poker, I have constructed the story so that it also works for those who have no interest in that subject and who wish to skip those sections.

A number of the situations have been inspired by some of the small band of authors whose work I immensely admire. I have attempted to occasionally incorporate a flavour of their imagination in this story, in tribute to them. Without their inspiration, this story would not have been told.

This is my first attempt at writing and I know that having completed the novel, I have learnt so much more than I knew at the outset. Two areas of feedback are welcomed:

1. Encouragement that will inspire me to write more... and constructive criticisms that will help me improve.

2. Voting that will help me assess the enjoyment factor.... or otherwise.

CHAPTER TWO: VEGAS AWAITS

It was the night of the tournament. There were one hundred and twenty-two entrants, all of whom were looking for their own piece of glory. Three seats at the World Series were on offer, together with two 'consolation' cash prizes for those in fourth and fifth position. But whilst those consolation prizes would further help Daniel's poker bank balance, and significantly so, there was only one prize he had in mind. That was a seat at the World Series.

That was even more important now, he realised, following Grace's comment about Lauren. It felt like a challenge to his male ego... no pressure there, then, he thought, but if anything he was even more focused as he sat in front of his computer. He leant back in the chair awaiting the tournament bell that would soon burst forth, signalling the impending start of a journey to his destiny. He was so concentrated that he hardly noticed when Grace silently padded out of the bedroom.

Her artificial rasping cough, designed to gain his attention, jerked him from his thoughts. He gave a little jump of surprise and swung his black, low-backed computer chair in her direction. She had deliberately adopted a provocative stance, her slim back resting against the bedroom door and tanned hand resting on her shapely hip. Daniel's eyes widened when he saw her pose, and he gave a low whistle as his eyes surveyed the small, black, cocktail dress she was wearing.

"You look fantastic," he blurted, almost involuntarily.

"Thank you," Grace purred, not altogether appreciatively, crossing her tanned arms whilst maintaining the pose.

She slowly pushed herself up and away from the door and took a single step forward, arching her back so as to emphasise the cleavage of her breasts that were prominently displayed over the low cut top.

"Would you like to come with me tonight," she said, her soft voice deliberately low, knowing in advance what the answer would be.

"I can't, Grace," he replied, raising an eyebrow at the question. "You know that."

"Do I?" she asked, her voice heavy with disdain. "And why is that, Daniel. Why is it that we never seem to go anywhere together nowadays? Please explain?"

She took another step closer as he sighed. They both knew they had played out this scene before. He did not reply, not wanting to get involved in an argument just before the biggest poker game of his life.

"Well?" Grace quizzically asked, knowing how difficult she was being.

"Grace, you know I'm playing in a poker tournament. I've explained all that to you, haven't I? You know what the prize is!" His voice was becoming exasperated.

Grace sighed deeply, and then threw down the challenge. "Is poker more important than an evening with me?"

This was an argument that Daniel knew he could not win. He rose swiftly from the swinging chair and in a couple of steps had closed the small distance between them.

"You know it isn't," he responded, attempting to take her in his arms.

"It isn't?" she repeated, fixing him with a piercing stare and taking a step back even as he moved towards her.

"Grace, if I finish in the first three, we win a trip to Vegas..."

"And how do you rate your chances?" she asked. "You told me there are well over a hundred people playing, most of whom have paid $600 for the privilege!"

She knew she was being unreasonable, but it was so long since they had been invited out together, she felt like being unreasonable.

Daniel again attempted to take her in his arms but she took another small step backwards. As they stood there for an uncomfortable few seconds, just staring at one another, the bell signalling the start of the tournament rang out. Their eyes simultaneously jerked towards the small computer screen.

"I know, I know. Your important tournament is starting", Grace spat out, almost contemptuously adding, "Good luck."

A few seconds later she had reached the door and he watched as it swung closed behind her. He hated them parting after an argument, but as the cards hit the screen, he had no time to dwell on that thought. In fact, with her in this sort of mood, it was almost a blessing that she was spending the evening at her dinner party. That allowed him to give this opportunity the full concentration it demanded and he knew that she would come back from her evening feeling much better.

As Daniel anticipated, the tournament was tough from the very beginning. Because of what was at stake, players were cautious. Not only were very few moves being made, but the pace of play was a little slower than normal for online poker. During the early stages, Daniel had time to reflect on the considerable amount of 'on screen' conversation taking place, most of which centred on the prizes at stake.

Several players spent some time promoting the fact that they had already played at the legendary Binion's Horsehoe Casino in downtown Las Vegas, as well as the plusher Rio which was located just off the Strip. The Rio, of course, had taken over from Binion's as the home to the World Series of Poker.

Presumably, Daniel thought, the online posturing was an effort by some to improve their table image without playing a card. But this macho effort to enhance their status was wasted. Or rather, it was wasted on him. He was unusually confident, feeling an almost eerie sense of calm. As far as he was concerned, the Practically Poker prize of a round trip airfare, plus accommodation, was there for the taking.

He would need a fair share of luck, certainly, but knew his game was razor sharp and if he could avoid any silly mistakes….

*

It was almost half past eight when Grace arrived outside the impressive apartment complex. The taxi driver was an unkempt, dirty looking individual who had insisted on smoking throughout the journey. She had felt uncomfortable when he had picked her up, his eyes running over her body and taking in every inch from head to toe. That was more than Daniel had done tonight, she thought, but nevertheless was more than relieved when they reached her destination.

She again thought of Daniel as the taxi was pulling to a stop. She knew her attitude was probably unreasonable and that it was not possible for him to accompany her tonight. The poker tournament was, after all, an excellent opportunity for him. And also for her, she knew, especially in the light of Lauren's audition.

But she felt that his chances of finishing in the top three were pretty small, based on his explanation of what was at stake. And in any case, that was not the point. Her female instinct intellectualised the situation as yet another example of poker coming first, and she was rapidly approaching the end of her tether with that situation. Poker was beginning to drive a massive wedge between them.

She refused to give the lecherous taxi driver a tip and simply dropped her fare into his thick, grubby hand. With some relief, she left the smoke ridden interior and lightly stepped onto the adjacent kerb.

When the evening invitation had arrived, she had accepted with relish, a good opportunity for her to meet up over a meal with friends from the music world. And at Thomas's apartment, at that! Who knows what sort of contacts she might make, she encouragingly thought. But it was not only that possibility that excited her. It had been some time since she had let her hair down and she was determined to take full advantage. If Daniel missed out, that was his loss.

Once inside the impressive looking apartment complex, she took a deep breath before setting out across the large, cold, lobby. The plush lift quickly ascended to the top floor and she hesitatingly looked around her as she stepped out and on to the impressive, wooden panelled floor. Taking the few steps to the heavy oak door signalling Thomas's apartment, she ran her hand through her shining hair before pressing the large, white bell located on the left hand side.

*

As there was not a great deal going for Daniel in the early stages of the tournament, he resolved just to stay out of trouble. But although he made the decision to simply focus on picking up the odd pot where he could, the problem was that not many of them were coming his way. That remained the case throughout the first couple of hours of play and it was only by making the occasional move at the right time that he managed to remain around average in chips for both the table and tournament.

But he knew he could not continue like this and that before long, if he remained card-dead, he would be forced into attempting to make something happen. And that, he knew, was fraught with danger. Just as he began to seriously wonder if this was to be his night after all, he was dealt King-Queen in late position. The board flopped Queen-Queen-Ace and after enticing a call from two over ambitious players on the turn and river, his confidence and chip stack were up and running.

The next opportunity arrived with the blinds 100-200, and a 25-chip ante. Daniel had watched a player to his left, Dark Warrior, becoming more and more aggressive. He knew he could not have the goods each time but that the trick was choosing the right moment against this table bully and chip leader. Whilst Daniel knew Dark Warrior could break him, he also felt that given an average degree of luck, he could also double him up. That would take him close to the chip lead.

It took twenty minutes before the opportunity arose. He was in the big blind, and once again, Table Bully made a good sized raise. Daniel felt there was an excellent chance of his being ahead with the Ace-Five of diamonds and he made the call. His chip stack was up to around 9,500 at that point and his call cost him 600, three times the big blind. The flop was beautiful:

Ace-Two-Three, two of which were diamonds.

Daniel held top pair and a straight flush draw. He checked and Dark Warrior tried to take it there and then, with a pot sized raise. That confirmed to Daniel that Table Bully had missed, or possibly also held a flush draw. Either way, Daniel reasoned that his hand was well ahead. He gave a Hollywood pause before calling the bet.

The turn produced the seven of diamonds.

Unless the board paired on the river, his nut flush had him home and dry. The question was how to extract maximum value? Daniel bet nine hundred chips, making it appear as if he wanted to prevent a big bet. The most basic of moves but either Table Bully fell for it, or he had hit his flush too. He went over the top with another pot-sized bet. Daniel knew the Bully was aggressive but this was ridiculous. There was only one move. He pushed all-in.

To his surprise the Bully made an immediate call. In the time it took to turn over the cards, Daniel was praying that the Bully had the flush and not a set or two pair, either of which would have made him vulnerable to the river.

His prayers were answered. Dark Warrior turned over King–Queen of diamonds. All of a sudden, Daniel's stack was approaching 20,000 chips.

The Bully responded by going all-in next hand with pocket Queens and went out of the tournament to pocket Kings. Those who live by the sword, Daniel thought….

*

It was Thomas himself who answered the door to Grace, his eyes widening into a broad smile as he saw her. He planted a warm kiss on both perfect, rosy cheeks and then stood to one side. As she floated past him into the room, Grace was stunned at both the size and opulence. Thomas rolled his eyes as he read her thoughts.

"I know! Everybody loves it! I have great taste, don't I?" he said.

He laughed to himself at his own little joke, though his sparkling eyes told Grace that he was pleased at her reaction. But before she could comment, they were interrupted by another shrill ring of the door bell. He kissed her once more, telling her to wander around and make herself comfortable and that he would soon catch up with her. She nodded and turned away as he opened the door to his next guests.

Her bright eyes scoured the room, quickly falling on some of people she knew. They were standing amongst a small crowd gathered beside the large, balcony window, and she immediately made her way over to them, collecting a glass of wine on the way. She warmly greeted those she knew, and was then introduced to those she had not previously met. The atmosphere was good and as the sound of laughter filled the air, she was determined to make the most of the evening.

A good hour or so passed, full of conversation, laughter, and more wine than was good for her so early in the evening. Thomas eventually rejoined her, threading his light arm around her curvy, slim waist. Just as Grace was about to compliment him on a wonderful atmosphere, seemingly out of nowhere a young woman entered her line of sight, capturing Grace's almond eyes and carefully holding on to them.

The woman had smooth, dark, mocha skin that seemed to glisten and a head full of soft curly tiny ringlets that were tantalisingly piled on top of her light blonde head. She wore perfect makeup that accentuated her sultry, light blue eyes and her short, gold, sparkly evening dress daringly displayed a deliciously low plunging neckline. Her face was familiar, thought Grace, but she could not immediately place it.

She was stunning, thought Grace, as she returned her stare. The blonde excused herself from those around her and seemed to float over to where Grace was standing. Grace stood transfixed as the woman's searching blue eyes took in the whole of her body as she approached and remarkably, she felt herself flush with embarrassment. She was not into woman but she definitely felt a reaction.

Grace found herself thinking that the woman's confidence was impressive, her breath coming in quick, rhythmic gasps as she stared at this sensual young and somehow familiar blonde. Although Thomas inadvertently broke the spell by stepping between them and beginning to talk to Grace, she peered over his tapered shoulder and saw that the woman was sipping from her glass of chilled white wine whilst openly returning her interested gaze.

She stood with one arm stretched across her sparkly and very shapely waist, whilst her tanned left hand held the wine glass to eye level. Above the glass, her striking blue eyes bore into Grace's with a direct, knowing look unlike anything Grace had previously experienced. It was just then that Thomas lightly tapped a knife on his own glass to ensure he gained people's attention.

"My dears," he said to the gathering in general, searching people's eyes to ensure no-one escaped his moment. "If you care to follow me into the next room, dinner is served".

With that, he grasped Grace's hand and pulled her along with him, almost making her stumble as he hurried into his sumptuous dining room. People followed, one by one taking their seats at the large, smoked glass table, until Grace realised with a slight start that the blonde had slid onto the glass chair next to hers. Before they could introduce themselves to one another, Thomas was delicately tapping onto his glass again to once more gain attention.

"Okay, everyone, I just want to wish you all the most perfect evening, and if you forgive me for a moment, for those of you who don't know," he said, pulling Grace unsteadily to her feet on his left, "This is Grace, and one day she's going to be a big star. So for all of you with connections, make sure you tell them, please."

He raised his glass in his small, white, hand as he ended his speech. "To Grace."

People boisterously shouted approval as they heard the toast, and applauded as they waited for Grace to take her seat. Gently and elegantly, Grace lowered herself to the glass chair, blushing furiously at finding herself the centre of attention.

What on earth had made Thomas do such a thing, she briefly wondered. But even as she did so, she realised that the blonde sitting in the chair to her left had placed a delicate hand on her slim arm and was smiling at her. Her small tongue was running sensually over her glossy, red lips as she gently stroked Grace's soft skin. Grace looked into her pale blue eyes. She was certain she knew this woman.

*

The demise of the Table Bully seemed to confirm the change in Daniel's fortunes and on the very next hand he was dealt pocket sevens.

The flop was Ace-King-Four and when he bet an exploratory 250, everyone folded.

This was beginning to feel easier than it had half an hour ago, he thought. One hand later, he re-raised to four times the big blind on the button, with Two-Three off suit, and again, everyone paid their respect and folded.

Daniel showed his hand, sending a clear message to the table that he was willing to play anything and if they wanted to challenge that, they had better be prepared to risk all their chips. And as a result, although his cards died away for a while, he still took more than his share of pots with average hands.

Around ten minutes later he was moved to a different table where two other players, Wonderman and Raven, had similar chip stacks to his. Unusually, all three were in the top ten for the tournament and Daniel resolved to avoid confrontation. There would be plenty of time for that later.

No sooner had he made the decision than he was dealt pocket queens, and put in a sizeable raise. Wonderman went over the top, pushing all-in. A key moment in the tournament, Daniel knew, and he thought for a long time before folding.

Wonderman voluntarily showed pocket Kings.

Daniel hissed, "Yes," to himself, pumping his arm into the empty air.

The following hand Daniel was dealt pocket eights. The same sequence followed. Daniel raised. Wonderman went all-in. There was not so long a pause this time before Daniel folded and again Wonderman showed, this time, Big Slick.

The very next hand, Daniel was dealt pocket Kings. He made the same raise, three times the big blind and remarkably enough, for the third successive hand, Wonderman moved all-in again. Just like that. Daniel knew he had him. He knew that Wonderman had become too ambitious, had made one aggressive move too many, and was about to get his comeuppance.

He was about to call when for some weird reason, even as his finger reached out towards the 'call' button, he remembered hearing T J Cloutier once saying, 'When someone goes all in three times in a row, he's got Aces the third time.'

Why it came into his mind at that precise moment he knew not, but in seconds it became an all pervading thought that was invading his psyche. This guy has Aces. Suddenly, he was sure. And the more he thought about it, the more certain he became. It was a no brainer. Call and he was out of the tournament.

The on-screen alarm sounded, jerking Daniel out of his thoughts and demanding action. He had ten seconds remaining in which to make his decision. But that judgement had already been made. He folded.