Veiled Secrets

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

He pulled her down to him and kissed her lips, once more enjoying the taste of her tongue sliding along his. That parted long enough for him to roll her to her back and move on top of her. "I want you again, Hon." His lips moved down her collarbone and across her breasts.

Her nails skimmed down his back, up his spine and then around his shoulders. "Always, Philip."

They made love. This time, slow easy strokes, teasing caresses and long drown out moans brought them to great heights of passion. "Yes, Philip. . .oh God yes," she cried out as he claimed her again.

Chad found them in each other's arms asleep. A smile crept over his face as he eased the door closed and headed to the privacy of his own room. "Delilah, she'll do well for him." He picked up the phone and called his daughter.

"Janet."

"Pop? Everything okay? Where's Philip?"

"He's fine. Just fine. I was wondering if you and the kids could come down this weekend, bring Steven too and call up Matt. See if he can't make it."

"Sure Dad, but why?"

"Just want to see y'all. It's been a while and your old man wants a visit."

"Oh Daddy. I'll give Matt a call and we'll all be down on Saturday morning. Tell Philip I said hi. Daddy, before you go, Matt said Philip met someone?"

"Yes, he did. You'll like her."

"Well if you do, I'm sure we will. Bye Daddy."

"Bye Janie-girl."

Chad hung up the phone and readied himself to bed. His hand caressed one of the many portraits he'd been pulling from different albums. This one was of him and Delilah holding hands as they strolled through one of the many trails that skirted the lake and dipped into the forest. "Soon, Dee. Soon."

He climbed into bed and quickly fell asleep. The afternoon slid past him and he never bothered getting up when he heard Philip and Tiara moving about. He listened instead as his youngest child's laughter filled the cabin.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Saturday morning arrived and so did the herd of people that Chad had told Philip about just a few hours ago. He'd walked in unannounced, waking both Philip and Tiara. Philip hadn't stopped thanking the heavens that they'd been sleeping and not doing other things. He was still embarrassed that his father had told Tiara to "just bring a few things over the next time she was planning on bunking up with his son."

Philip stood on the porch, the smell of roast duck cooking as well as hot dogs and burgers for the kids. Potatoes and other vegetables were also being prepared, they too were being cooked to perfection. His arm was wrapped around the one woman he wanted his siblings to like since he brought home the woman that would later be his ex.

"Phil," Matt said, extending his hand and shaking it firmly. He held Carolyn next to him. His arm protectively around her waist. "This is Carolyn. She's agreed to marry this old codger."

Philip's gaze rested lightly on the woman next to his brother. She had green eyes and red hair. Her smile was soft and shy. "Carolyn, it's a pleasure." He took her hand in his and raised it to his lips. A simple kiss was placed on her skin and then he released her. Philip's hand moved back to Tiara.

"Congratulations to you both," he said and then turned toward the woman that had claimed his heart and soul. "Matt and Carolyn, this is Tiara Able, the woman, whom I hope will stick around long enough for me to propose."

He smiled down at her and she up to him. "I think I can manage that." They missed the look of shock that registered on both Matt and Carolyn's faces, too lost in each other's eyes.

A cry of "Uncle Philip" broke the silence and the group turned to see one of the many children running toward them. Philip was swept into hugs and then teased into a quick game of tag, leaving Tiara alone on the porch with Matt and Carolyn. "Tiara?" Matt asked. "A unique name."

"Yes, it is," Tiara agreed.

Carolyn stared at the young woman for a long time. "I've only heard it once before."

"Oh? Well, I hope she grew up easier than I did," Tiara laughed. "Nothing like being a cap on a Princess' head while growing up."

Matt smirked. "Surely it wasn't all that bad."

"Oh no," she replied. "Mom and Dad made life very easy on me. I lacked for nothing." She grinned and nodded toward the car pulling up the drive. "I take it that is Janet and Steven."

Matt turned, as did Carolyn. "Looks like it." Another car approached and he laughed. "Looks like Dad's gonna have the whole crew this weekend." He turned back to Tiara. "You guys got room for all of them?"

"I think we'll open my house up for some of you."

"You live around here?" Carolyn asked.

"Yes, across the lake. I bought the place from the previous owners and have been living over there. . .well. . .until I met Philip." Tiara's gaze moved over to the man that was running up to greet his sister. Her eyes spoke volumes and for a moment no one else existed.

Philip brought Janie up to the porch and introduced her and her crew to Tiara. "Nice to meet you, Janie. It is okay to call you that, right?"

"Yes, Janie's fine. I'm Janet if I'm in trouble." The two women shook hands and eventually the adults moved into the house where more introductions were made.

By the time the lunch was brought out Tiara was wishing she'd bought name tags for everyone. She walked around refilling Kool-Aid and topping off coffee or tea, occasionally dropping off a fresh bottle of beer or a can of soda. By the time she was ready to relax, she had taken a count of twenty-two people, including herself, Philip and Chad. She leaned against one of the few available spaces that wasn't occupied by either a family memento or a family member and sighed. Philip found her there and pulled her toward him.

He took her place and then brought her back so she was leaning against him instead. His lips rested on her ear and he kissed her. "They are only staying till Sunday night."

She giggled and turned her head, just enough to kiss his lips. "I wasn't worried about that. I was just admiring the view."

"Oh? Is Matt strutting his stuff again?"

She rolled her eyes. "No. Your family. It is so large and so happy. I was an only child. I was happy, but I didn't have siblings."

Carolyn was rounding the corner and paused. "No brothers, or sisters?" she asked. "I'm sorry, I just over heard, no need to answer."

Tiara smiled. "Oh, it's okay. I didn't have any growing up. I do have one. A brother. But I don't know where he is. I was adopted and we were separated."

Carolyn's face paled, then she coughed, hoping to cover up the shock her facial expression had portrayed.

"Are you okay?" they both asked.

"Yes, fine." She took a deep breath. "I just breathed in wrong. So you have a brother, but you don't know where he is? What about your mom and dad. . .do they know?"

"My parents were killed in an automobile accident. My biological mom died shortly after Ethan and I were adop. . ."

Her words faded as Carolyn started to slip to the floor. Philip had seen it coming just as her eyes rolled back into their sockets. He'd quickly pushed Tiara out of the way, though she was already moving to grab the woman. Both caught her before she fell and Tiara screamed for Matt. He had been talking to his son, but turned when he heard the terror in another's voice. His gaze met Philip and Tiara's. He rushed to their side and took the fallen woman in his arms. "What happened?" he shouted.

Both stared at him, unsure what had happened. "We don't know. We were talking and she just fainted," Philip told him. "Here, take her to my room."

Matt hurried to the offered sanctuary, with Philip and Janie following. Tiara tried to calm the youngest children as well as herself. She'd seen the woman react to the name of her brother and she wanted to know why. Her excitement had to be contained for the time being though, an unconscious woman was help to no one.

Carolyn was laid down on the bed and Matt kneeled down on the floor. His eyes level with her face, willing her to wake up. Janie was there with a cold cloth and Philip was removing her shoes.

"Carrie babe, wake up Hon," Matt whispered as he covered her pale skin with the cool cloth. He watched her eyes flutter open and then closed. When she was able to focus on him, he relaxed. "Hey sexy."

She smiled, weakly and looked around. "What happened?"

Matt groaned. "We were hoping you'd tell us. Philip and Tiara said you. . ."

"Tiara! I need to see her." Carolyn tried to leap from the bed, but Matt held her down.

"Calm sweetheart. She's outside and you can talk to her in a minute okay." Matt smoothed her brow and kissed her lips. "Please, for me. Just take a few. Philip will go get her."

Matt turned to his brother and Philip left the room. Janie touched Matt's shoulder and then looked at her future sister-in-law. "You're sure you're okay? You gave us quite a scare."

"I'm sure."

"Okay. I'm going to let you talk to Tiara. I'll let everyone know you're okay. Matt, I expect a full report on your lovely lady's health when she's done with you." Janie left the room, just as Tiara and Philip were entering.

"Philip, could I talk to Tiara alone," Carolyn asked.

Philip took a deep breath. He hadn't missed the reaction that Carolyn had and everything pointed to her knowing more of Tiara's past then even Tiara knew. He looked over to the woman that held a secret that could either hurt the one he loved or help her. "I'd rather stay."

Tiara touched his arm. "I'll be okay. If Carolyn knows something about me. . .then I want to know and I'll share it with you." She kissed his lips and whispered against them, "I love you."

He felt his world shift, a feeling that was becoming repetitive, but it still shook him. "I love you," he answered back. He left the room and grabbed a beer, wondering if Matt was about to be kicked out too. When it became apparent Matt was staying, he headed outside to enjoy the solitude as he waited on word from the woman he craved.

Carolyn watched Matt take a seat on the bed next to her and hold her hand. She thought of telling him to leave, but she remembered his words about secrets. "Tiara, have a seat please."

Tiara felt her pulse race as she slid into the chair that rested just a few feet away.

"First, I owe Matt an apology." She turned to him and squeezed his hand. "You told me in your office a few days ago that you didn't want secrets. I've carried one for a long time."

His expression hardened and he gazed back at her. His jaw became tight as he waited for her confession. Tiara didn't miss the anger, but she was too concerned with what secrets that Carolyn would have that would involve her and her brother, Ethan.

"When I was younger, I met a man. His name was Daniel and he was very handsome. A real charmer. He was passing through Minor Hill, a small town I lived in."

"I've heard of it," Matt stated.

"Yes, it is just a few miles from Pulaski. He was a dream, or so to a young girl he was. I dated him for a short spell. Things happened," she blushed and took a deep breath, "I was going to college in the fall, a scholarship that was going to get me out of the hills and into the city. . .but, I got pregnant."

The room was silent as Matt and Tiara absorbed her words. "I told Daniel, but he just laughed at me. Told me I should have been more careful, claimed it wasn't his and two days later he was gone. I had a friend though. A good friend, she had her own problems, but she had a home, a kid, living on welfare."

Carolyn glanced at Tiara. "Ruby Ann was a nice woman. She just had problems. When John left her, she fell into depression, but I couldn't keep a baby."

Tiara stared at Carolyn, her face ashen and her fingers cold. "You knew my mom?"

"Yes. I went to her. It was too late to get rid of. . .him."

"Ethan?" Tiara asked.

Matt shook his head. "Ethan?" he asked.

"My brother's name is Ethan." Tiara told him. She looked back to Carolyn. "I don't understand. Carolyn, please. . .go on."

Carolyn nodded her head. "I go by Carrie, but that isn't important. I stayed with Ruby Ann and you, her daughter, until Ethan was born. I had him there at her place. She sobered up long enough to deliver him. My parents wanted nothing to do with me, so I just kinda hid out at her place. When he was born, I went back to school and doubled up on lessons so I could graduate and go to college."

Matt said nothing, his mind trying to grasp at everything that was swirling around him. He listened though, promising to process it all later.

Tiara took a deep breath. "So, you left your son with my mother. But my search says she is our mother and our father's are unknown."

"I had no birth certificate. I went back. . .years later, but it was too late. She'd lost both of you to the state and she passed away. Drugs and alcohol had destroyed her. I asked the social worker in the area where you both were and she said, 'Misses Kingston's children were wards of the state and had been adopted.' I figure she told them she was Ethan's mom. After all. . .she had been caring for him. I knew that whatever life you both had was better than I could have provided. I didn't look for my son or for you. I left town, got a job, a career, and then married. We divorced and now I have Matt, or so I hope I do." She turned to him and tried to read his emotions.

Tiara sat back. "So you don't know where Ethan is either? I know he's not my brother, but. . ." She took a deep breath. "Do you know who my dad is?"

Carolyn turned back. "Your mom was married to John, but she screwed up. Ruby was out late with some area drunks and slept with several; your dad found out. He left her when he found out she was pregnant. I guess he couldn't have kids, so he knew you weren't his. I'm sorry."

Matt took a deep breath. "You had a son, have a son."

"Yes," Carolyn answered. "I don't know where he is, but he's out there. I was going to tell you. I just wanted to wait. You were so wrapped up in your search for. . ."

Matt rubbed his hands over his face. "Yes, I was," he said, stopping her before she finished her sentence. "Jesus Christ Carolyn, you should have told me."

"I know. I'm sorry."

Tiara rose from her seat. "I'll let you two discuss this. I need to go talk to Philip."

"No, don't leave." Matt told her.

She stopped and looked back at the couple. "Matt, I don't think this should involve me."

"It already does. I know where Ethan is," he answered.

Tiara sat back down. Carolyn whimpered; her fist moved to her mouth. "No, Matt."

He closed his eyes, then slowly opened them, only to meet the stare of his fiancé. "I have the file in my car. I was going to let Janie look at it, if she wanted to. Ethan's name was changed to Philip when my parents adopted him. He was four. They didn't know he had a sister. I just found that out, but it looks like he's an only child too."

Carolyn's tears fell as Matt continued. "Tiara, mom and dad brought home this knobby kneed four-year-old. He had blonde hair and green eyes. I was sixteen. Janie was fourteen. We were told his name would be Philip, not Ethan. So we were to make sure we call him Philip until he answered to it all the time. We did. We were kids. We were told to keep it a secret. I wanted to tell him when I was eighteen. I wanted to tell him after Mom died . . .and I was going to tell him after Pop died. I paid detectives right and left, eventually one turned up some stuff after I made a few political phone calls."

"Something I couldn't do," Tiara whispered. "I tried to find him too. . .Ethan, but got nothing, and I know Philip doesn't know he's adopted."

"No," Matt told her. He turned to Carolyn. "Carrie, Philip is Ethan. He's your son."

Her lips trembled. "I don't know what to do."

Matt pulled her into his arms. "We'll figure something out."

Tiara stared at them. "What do you mean? You've got to tell him. He needs to know this."

"We will tell him, but we can't just throw it at him."

Tiara agreed. "That is not the way to find anything out."

Matt slipped a kiss onto Carolyn's head. "I'll talk to Janie and Pop."

"Do you think that is a good idea? Your Dad seems to have good days and bad according to Philip and Tiara," Carolyn whispered. "I want to tell him. I want to explain myself, but I can wait."

"I can't leave this room and not tell him. I won't lie to him. Don't ask me to do that," Tiara told them both.

"Just give me an hour," Matt said.

Tiara chewed on her lip. "One hour Matt. I'll not speak to him until then."

"Thank you," both Matt and Carolyn answered. They watched her rise to go. "Tiara, would you have Janie and Pop come in here."

"Yes," she answered back and left the room. Her head pounding, yet there was a sense of closure slowly embracing her. She found Janie and Chad, both deep in a game of Scrabble. She told them that Matt and Carolyn wanted to see them. Janie asked if everything was okay, Chad repeated the question.

"You really just need to go talk to them. I'm going to take a bath." She had to find something to do that would keep her away from Philip. "An hour," she whispered as she made her way to the bathroom and locked herself inside.

Janie feared she knew what waited behind the door where her brother and his fiancé sat. She was wrong. Her eyes grew wide as did her Father's and for the first time in her life she wished he was having one of his "moments" so he wouldn't have to listen to Matt plead his case. She stared at Carolyn and shook her head trying to come to terms with everything. "So your Philip's Mom?"

Carolyn nodded her head. Her gaze however never left the man that had raised her son. "I'm his birth mom. Your Mom. . .Delilah, was his Mom. I gave him up. I have to answer to him for that."

Chad stared at her and ran his hand over his eyes. He'd been so close. He could feel it inside, so close to making his Delilah happy and meeting back up with her. "Carrie, you were a young girl, who got screwed over. . .pardon the pun, my dear." He stood up and walked over to the window. He saw Philip sitting at the picnic table, where he had spent many a night pouring over booze when his ex had messed him up. What would this do to him?

"Matt's right, he needs to know."

Janie screamed back that he didn't need to know anything. Carolyn could keep her mouth shut. She had for the last forty odd years, why open it now. Matt shouted back for Janie to watch herself, but Carolyn squeezed his arm and told him it was okay.

Chad however moved over to his daughter and pulled him into his arms. "Janie. He'll still be your brother. He's not the self-serving playboy and spoiled brat that he was when he came back this time," he looked over to Carolyn, "we raised him, but we spoiled him too."

His fingers ran through his daughter's hair. "Janie. It's time. I'm not going to be around much longer and well. . .this isn't a secret I should take with me. It's asking too much of Matt, you, Tiara and Carolyn."

"Asking too much? Jesus Christ, Dad! You raised her son. She has no right to deny you anything."

"Janie. I've got to talk with him. I think I'll take Tiara with me." Chad left the window and walked over to Carolyn. "Everything comes back full circle, eventually. He's a great son and it's been my pleasure to call him my own. Thank you, for knowing you weren't ready and letting us keep him." He kissed her brow and went in search of Tiara.

His soft knock on her bathroom door and her whispered, "I'll be there in a minute" was all he needed to hear before he headed to the fridge and grabbed a couple of beers. He waited for Tiara and then embraced her. "I need ya girl. Can an old man lean on you?"

"Yes, Chad, I need you too. . .he'll need all of us, though, even Carolyn, though he may not show it."