Venturer Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
xelliebabex
xelliebabex
5,531 Followers

"Right gentlemen, enough reminiscing there is work to be done and if I know my mother, she will be turning the Baron's castle upside down with her preparations. Jarrau, you know what I want. Go with Bennison and talk to her about it. She likes you." Kade tried to organise his men with the utmost seriousness but he could not wipe the smile from his face as the culmination of a weeks worth of planning and years of unfulfilled longing began falling into place.

........................................

Honey scrubbed herself raw and still did not feel clean enough to be presented to the queen, but as her skin began to prune, she reluctantly stepped from the bath. Drying carefully, she went to the bedroom where Delenn was waiting to help her. A white satin corset with suspenders for white hose, and short underwear, underskirt and finally the dress, a golden satin that hugged her body to make her curves seem more voluptuous than was the reality. The scooped neckline was embroidered with daisies, stark white against the shining gold.

She sat at the mirror and let Delenn fix her hair as she tried desperately to quell the uneasiness in her stomach. "Excuse me M'lady," Delenn looked around and corrected herself, "Honey, could you help me now? I am probably not supposed to ask but I don't know how I would do it on my own."

Honey was taken aback, she had been so self absorbed that she hadn't considered there were other plans at work. "Of course, Delenn, tell me what you need."

"I wouldn't have asked except I cannot do it on my own," Delenn looked chastened by the idea she had said too much.

Honey smiled and hugged Delenn, "Men have no idea, really. Let's go and do what ever it is you need help with."

Delenn lead Honey to her small room off the main living area of the suite and showed her an identical outfit to the one Honey wore. Honey looked at it confused at first, then reality dawning on her the danger of leaving the security of this maze filled house. "No, Delenn. You can't pretend to be me. It's too dangerous if my father comes. You can't imagine what he will do to you," Honeys voice rose in the panic she was feeling as her safe days in this house shattered around her.

"M'lady, your dress is so beautiful I have never worn anything like it. Please let me. I promise to be a good Lady. I won't even speak if you don't want me to. I won't go near your father at the ceremony, I promise," Delenn almost pleaded. "I shouldn't have told you. I didn't understand. I am just a servant."

"No Delenn. You are not. You are wonderful and true and beautiful. I am honoured that you would do this for me to keep me safe but I cannot let you. It is too dangerous. I am sorry," Honey turned and left the room.

Honey walked slowly to the front door, her mind warping with new fears, fears for Delenn and the men of Kade's guard. She opened the door to her suite and saw the startled expressions of Leneer and Accuda, "I need to speak with Kade, please, gentlemen."

"He's not here at the moment, my Lady," Leneer stated seeing the strained look on her face.

"When will he be back?" Honey was angry and she was struggling to keep her voice even.

"I am not sure. I do not imagine he will be away much longer. Do you want me to send for him?" Leneer was looking concerned.

"No," Honey didn't want to cause a fuss today of all days. She went back into the room and seeing the disappointment on the girl's face immediately regretted refusing to help Delenn. She was a sweet girl who didn't know what the dress meant. "I will help you wear the dress if you really want to. It is the least you deserve for helping me so much," Honey watched the girl smile and begin to disrobe. Her mind was racing she had one chance at running again and it all depended on Alec arriving at the same given time he did everyday. She just wasn't sure that she wanted to run anymore, her burgeoning feelings for Kade were at war with her fears of being returned to her father. Honey helped Delenn dress, gauging the time constantly.

"You look amazing, Delenn. Come look in the big mirror in my room," Honey effused as the dress finally settled into place. Delenn was giddy with delight and followed Honey. She sat in front of the mirror and let Honey stand behind her to do her hair in the same fashion as they had done earlier in reverse. "You look more like a Lady than I do, Delenn," Honey smiled. "Let's go see if Leneer can tell the difference between us."

Leneer and Accuda had both been suitably startled and complimentary in their acknowledgement of how fine Delenn appeared. He noted that the two ladies could pass for sisters. Lunch came and went mostly untouched with still no sign of Kade and, much to Honey's chagrin, Alec had not arrived yet either. Her fears gnawed at her until she could sit still no longer and begged Leneer to take her down to the stables for a little while, to distract her. The stables were by far Honey's favourite part of this house. The horses were so sleek and beautiful. She longed for the day when she would be allowed to ride again.

As they left the back entrance to the house, the stables were eerily quiet. No grooms came out to meet them and Leneer turned to usher the ladies back into the house. Leneer froze with a look of wide eyed wonder appearing on his face as he grunted and slumped forward falling to the ground an arrow wedged in his lower back. Honey and Delenn screamed in unison as hooded shapes followed the arrow's path and swept them across saddles riding from the stable as men rushed from the house.

Within minutes, the hooded kidnappers rode under a darkened portico throwing both girls to the ground and kept riding fast toward the west gate. Unseen in the darkness, the girls were imprisoned by rough hands, gagged and wrapped in dark cloaks before being dragged into the building. Honey heard the pursuing men thunder after the riders, leaving her and Delenn at the mercy of their captors.

...................................

Kade raged and stalked around the room as Jarrau patiently questioned every man who had seen or heard the abduction. Andreus was seeking information from all the contacts he had made in Erato and several other men were out questioning the townsfolk. Kade had promised to keep her safe and now she was gone. He raged uncontrollably at himself and his men until his mother swept into the room closely followed by his brother.

"Not now, mother," Kade growled.

Queen Dagora turned to her eldest son, "Bennison, help mother and bring your brother into the next room, please."

"Of course mother," Bennison closed the distance between himself and Kade, "We can do this the hard way if you like, brother, but you know you will have to go in eventually."

Kade cursed effusively at his brother and stalked to the next room followed by his mother and brother. Once the door had closed the Queen lost any semblance of propriety and rushed over to hold her youngest son in a tight embrace, tears in her eyes, "Oh Kadegan I am so sorry, I know how much she means to you. You really love her, don't you?"

Kade felt tears prick at his own eyes, "I promised to keep her safe from him, mother. I promised..."

"Raging at your men is not going to find her, Kadegan. The town is being searched and gates have been closed. The men we believe took her are still claiming innocence," she pulled back from him momentarily. "Bennison has told me what he knows about the situation but you better tell us all."

Kade looked up at his brother, "I talked to Jarrau this morning before we left," Bennison said by way of explanation.

"If the Duke needs dealing with I am just the woman to put him in his place. Now tell me everything Kadegan. And I mean everything," the queen embraced her son fiercely again. "Sometimes brute strength is not the only way to solve a situation."

...............................

Honey and Delenn had been taken to a cellar. Bound and gagged they had cried as they were manacled together to chains hanging from the back wall and left alone. Honey's nightmares came back to life as she looked around the dimly lit space, the large wooden cross beams made into an 'X', hooks and chains dangling from the walls and ceiling, wooden saw horses and benches. She closed her eyes her mind breaking apart with the image of Leneer falling to the ground.

She could feel Delenn shaking in terror beside her. Honey wished she could apologise for this having happened to her. She turned her body and leaned toward Delenn as if to hug her, rubbing her cheek against the other girl's wet one. As soon as the captors arrived she would tell them to let Delenn go they didn't need her.

The only thought keeping her sane was that someone would be searching for her, "Kade where are you?" She whispered to herself. She had never had anyone to rely on in the past and the thoughts of how much he had come to trust and believe in Kade surprised her.

.....................................

At Jarrau's behest, Andreus had gone straight to Maurice and Alec. Both men went into action immediately all but running through the town and into a dark alleyway. Andreus followed but was not admitted to the basement both men disappeared into. "Wait here," Maurice had urged him, "We will get the answers we need from Raziel."

Andreus paced nervously as the two giant muscled men descended the stairs into the den of thieves. Raziel was the queen of the corrupt seedier side of the city and was the one person who knew everything that went on in the town. Her network of thieves, cutthroats and prostitutes kept her well informed and well paid.

After a brief explanation from the two burly men, Raziel looked aghast. "None of my guild would dare without informing me. Give me an hour I will have answers for you," the woman was clearly disturbed and called several of her people to her. "This is my town. I rule here more than the mayor or that oaf of a baron. If there are rogue cutthroats and kidnappers after the reward, they will answer to me."

Alec was surprised by the word 'reward' but said nothing as he shot Maurice a look that spoke volumes. Out in the alley Andreus watched several men and women and even a couple of small boys rush past him and split in several directions from the ally. Feeling time running through his hands he hammered on the door. "Maurice. Alec. What is happening?" he bellowed.

The door opened quickly and a menacing man with a bandage wrapped around his head grabbed him roughly by the shirt. "Shut your cake hole! When they have something to say they will say it?" pushing Andreus back against the wall, he held him that way until Maurice appeared.

"Go tell Kade we have people on it and come straight back. We should know something within the hour if not sooner," Maurice tapped the angry bandit on the shoulder, "Let him go Zeb." Andreus let go of the sword hilt he held gripped tightly and stepped away from the reeking thug. Maurice walked with him to end of the alley, "If she is in this town, we will find her. There is nothing that goes on the network of thieves and beggars do not see."

"I hope you are right my friend," Andreus murmured, "or Prince Kadegan will begin pulling this town apart brick by brick. I will be back within the half hour," Clasping the big man's arm in farewell, Andreus turned and jogged up the street in the direction of Venturer House.

...........................

"Lady... hey Lady.." a small voice called, Honey peered around the dimly lit room too frightened to say anything. Delenn whimpered through her gag. "I think they're gagged. Can you push me up higher?"

Honey and Delenn squealed behind the gags as the grate covering the drain in the floor began to move sliding back . A small dirty face appeared whispering "Shoosh, I am a friend. Just nod if one of you is Lady Honiara." The girls both nodded, "Show me the chains if you can. I can't get through the hole it's too small," he whispered again. The girls tried to move enough to expose the manacles that chained them to the wall. "Right," the boy said, "I will be back with friends, don't worry we will get you out."

The grate scraped back into place and the girls huddled together hope flickering in their eyes briefly as a door opened flooding the room with new light. Two people came in hooded and robed in monk's vestments. "Don't look at them, they will bewitch you. They say they are possessed by demons," one of the men said as they inspected the room.

"This dungeon gives me the creeps. It was probably just rats knocking the beams. Let's go," the second man said.

Honey began to cry, the image of the bishop who wielded the cruel whip that he claimed cleansed demons from her floated into her minds eye, 'Hurry, Kade, hurry,' she pleaded silently. ..................................

Queen Dragora rushed into the cathedral of the lost souls, crying for a priest, a bishop, a cardinal. Grabbing the small priest that came from an antechamber she pleaded, "Gather all your priests and monks. I must have a prayer sung, now." Holding the priests arm in a vice like grip she turned to the soldiers of her personal guard that had followed her in, "Go find more priests and monks, I must have a choir!"

"My dear Lady, your men cannot go in there," the priest began but she cut him off.

"I am not a lady, I am a Queen!" Dragora let her voice rise hysterically, the priests eyes widened in shock, the Queens sharp mind was working fast, the child had said he had heard monks talk of demons, "I am Queen Dragora of the North. Gather your monks to sing the prayers of lost souls for we have lost a beautiful soul this day," the queen wailed loudly.

"There are very few here," the priest stammered, trying to free his arm from the wailing woman. "We are lucky to have a clergy at all within this godless city."

Andreus moved with a group of men through the small monastery gathering monks as they went and sending them to the cathedral. As the monastery, emptied Kade with another group of men followed a small grimy boy in search of the dungeon, stopping in several rooms to take up spare monks robes. The boy held up his hand to the men at arms holding a finger to his lips and motioned Alec toward him.

Alec grunted as he stood and turned to Kade, "Wait here, you will hear when it's clear," he murmured, "Leave this to us for a minute." The boy ran off and Alec lumbered along behind him, Kade could hear startled cries and Alec roaring "Come back here, you little thief. I will teach you to pick pockets!" There was a large crack and then silence, the boy appeared and motioned the men to follow. They hurried after the boy and found Alec bent over the prone bodies of two monks. He looked up and threw Kade a set of keys before hefting a monk handing the unconscious form to Accuda and taking the other over his own shoulder.

Kade opened the door and the young boy held up his hand to him and slipped into the partially opened doorway. Kade was done waiting and followed the boy through the door taking another two monks by surprise. "Stop!" one of them screeched holding a cross before him. Kade negligently backhanded him, stepping past to the door on the far side of the room.

Opening the door, Kade peered into the gloom, "Torch," he yelled over his shoulder thrusting out a hand without stopping his progress into the room beyond. His fingers wrapped around a torch and he held it before him calling out, "Honey? Delenn?" Hearing a faint whimper he hurried down the stairs, Jarrau and Alec close behind him.

The muffled cries of the girls grew stronger as he held the torch before him and all but ran to the far wall dropping to his knees to embrace Honey. Pulling the gag from her mouth and kissing her passionately. "I thought I had lost you again," he looked deep into her tear filled eyes. "I will find out who did this and they will pay dearly. I am so sorry, my love." Freeing her hands he pulled her up to him.

"I knew you would come," she whispered wrapping her arms around him and clinging to him as if for life. "Leneer?" She asked unable to bring the rest of the question from her lips.

He shook his head, "I don't know. The physician was with him."

Jarrau had freed Delenn and had pulled the monks robe over her head. Kade dressed Honey in a monks robe as well. Turning to Alec who had dropped the unconscious monk against the wall Kade spoke with deathly calm, "Take them back to Venturer House. Emban, let mother know we have them. She will know what to do. Gairn, Marko, stay here. The rest go with Alec make sure the girls are safe."

"No," Honey whispered wide eyed, "Come with me please," her voice sounded panicked again.

"I will be with you soon enough, my love," Kade held her tightly, "I will find who ordered this though and they will pay. Now go with Alec so I know you are safe."

Alec picked her up, "These strong arms have never failed you girl, and won't this time." Alec carried her from the room quickly followed closely by Accuda holding Delenn.

Gairn and Marko took up positions replacing the monks who had been guarding the outer door. Kade turned to the one monk that remained conscious, "Now," he said in a deathly quiet growl, "Who do you take your orders from?"

............................................

The queen feigned a swoon as she saw Emban reappear and turned her head slightly to see the others head to the rear door furtively. "You must practise," she cried, "Sing it every hour for the lost souls in the vain hope that we find them alive." Collapsing into her oldest son's arms she brought tears to her own eyes as she beseeched the priest without words and let Bennison walk her from the church.

Climbing into her curtained carriage, the queen took in the two hooded figures sitting opposite her quietly. The carriage pulled away with Alec riding up with the driver and the queens guard heavily reinforced with Kade's men surrounding it.

"Delenn?" the queen said with a question in her voice, watching one of the girls head come up automatically at the question. Dragora smiled kindly.

"Yes, your Majesty," Delenn whispered her tear stained face barely visible beneath the hood.

"Did they mistreat you at all?" Dragora asked the young girl allowing Honey the time she needed, knowing now about her fears.

"No, your Majesty, we were imprisoned and left alone," Delenn spoke slightly louder but still barely more than a whisper.

"You girls are so brave," the queen reached across the small space in the carriage and clasped her hand taking one of Honey's also, "You will be safe now, I promise." Honey raised her head and looked at the queen, tears shining in her eyes.

"I don't think I will ever be safe. Every time I think I have found somewhere to belong I am wrenched from it savagely," Honey sounded so desolate and she turned to Delenn, "I am so sorry, my friend. I never intended you to be hurt because of me."

Delenn took in Honey's expression and took a deep calming breath, "Are you kidding? Look at me dressed in fine silks and riding in the Queen's carriage, with the queen herself no less. If my mother could only see me now, she would be so proud!" She laughed merrily trying to raise Honey's spirits. "It was nothing more than bad moment. We both knew Sir Kade would find us. This is an adventure now."

The queen laughed as well seeing the worry in Delenn's eyes for her mistress despite her words, "I must admit playing the grief stricken queen back there was fun. You should have seen that little mouse of a priest stammer and stutter as the soldiers entered his monastery."

Honey looked at the two women wide eyed as they continued to giggle. Finding it contagious a smile curled at Honey's lips. "Let's have some more fun," the queen declared. Pushing her hand past the curtain she held it up and leaned to it as Bennison leaned down from his horse as he trotted beside them slowly. "I need to pay my condolences to Delenn's mother, regarding her missing daughter..."

xelliebabex
xelliebabex
5,531 Followers