Visions or Dreams?

Story Info
Author's nightmare involving ex-love's new girlfriend.
2.1k words
3.5
12.6k
00
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I had a dream about Charlotte the other night. Strange dream. One of those dreams where you wake up, only vaguely remembering the subject of the dream, but not the content... Just enough for you to stare at the ceiling, dazed like, wondering "WHY???"

The image I woke up with was of a hospital room. Antiseptic smelling... Machines beeping and twitching and generally doing their hospital machine type thing... Everything cold and clean. I was curled up on the foot of her bed, actually laying across her feet even, staring at the door. In that one image I couldn't see her, but I knew it was her, and that I was protecting her from something. Keeping watch over her.

Gradually through the day I got flashes of other images, from the dream... Like an amnesiac slowly beginning to remember, realize and understand.

I'm not sure that I can remember exactly what order I got the images, or where most of them were in the dream... A lot of it was vague, fuzzy edged... Like a TV fade out flashback moment. Most of them I wasn't actually in... It was dreamtime, I the silent amorphous observer, unable to act or react based on anything that I saw.

She and her boyfriend (this guy I used to and sometimes still have a thing for) had gone to the mall. She was going to a party and wanted to pick up new lingerie. They were fighting because he wasn't invited to the party and she refused to take him or tell him anything about the party or even where it was in case he needed to get hold of her. He had the sneaking suspicion, likely because of the skimpy black lingerie she'd bought for the night, that she was sneaking out with some other guy.

He never actually admitted this was what he thought, but she knew he suspected she was cheating, and got defensive. She started screaming and threw her purse at him. He calmly caught the purse, turned and walked away back into the mall. It was getting dark outside so she ran into the parking structure, looking for the car. Even though she remembered parking in sunlight, the car was way back in an otherwise empty basement level. She ran to the car, fumbling with the door, suddenly terrified.

Just as she realized her keys were in the purse she threw at her boyfriend, two things happened. She caught a reflection in the window of someone behind her, and everything went black.

Her boyfriend, meanwhile, went inside to the payphones. He called me saying they'd gotten into another fight and he needed a ride. I asked if she was going out with "Bill" again that night and he said yes. Apparently I'd known about her cheating for a while, but he refused to accept it. Likely he thought I made it up to cause trouble between them, he's the egotistical type who'd assume I was trying to get him back... Regardless of the fact that I never actually wanted to be in a relationship with him.

I conveniently happened to have access to a car, and time jumped to me picking him up at the mall. We, for some reason, decided to drive through the parking lot to check for her car, but as it wasn't where she left it, figured she'd gone off to see her lover.

I tried to be nice, tried not to say I told you so, but couldn't help it. "Now do you believe me?" He got angry and jumped out of the car at a stoplight near his house. I went home to bake fudge brownies for my cats and feed the fish.

I stopped to pick up ice cream for my neighbor, and when I got home there were messages on my phone. One was from my friend, apologizing and saying he was coming over to check on a stray cat we'd picked up a few days before. I opened a can of tuna, mixed it and the ice cream into the brownie mix, and threw the pan into the oven as the door bell rang.

My neighbor wanted her ice cream, and I said it would be ready in about an hour, as I couldn't turn the oven above 850. She said okay and went home to do the dishes, saying hi to my friend as he showed up with a huge duffel bag. Inside he said was the medicine for the stray, but it was a bunch of crowbars and candles.

We played with the cats and drank wine while the brownies baked and I remembered about having messages, so we listened to those. There were a bunch from movie stars, wanting to know when my next party was planned, and a couple from this wrestler I'd made out with at a club once. He kept trying to get together again, saying he couldn't live without me. I didn't care, I was in love with this other guy who didn't care that I existed.

The last message was from Bill, asking where Charlotte went and why she didn't meet him. I called back asking him how he got my number and why should I know or care what the blowup doll did or didn't do. Maybe she was cheating on him as well as my friend. I hung up and ran out to my car, falling in the mud from the rain that started just then. I yelled to my neighbor as she came outside to check the cake (yeah, it was a cake now instead of tuna chubby hubby brownies I guess).

My friend took the keys and jumped into the driver side of my car, since I don't know how to drive standard. We raced down the freeway as I told him about a story idea I'd had a few days before. About a girl who was kidnapped from a parking structure and taken to this group of abandoned warehouses in the middle of the desert.

He laughed, saying it sounded good... Though creepy, and he was glad it wasn't one of my dreams or he'd be worried about his girlfriend. I got quiet, staring out the window and he stomped down on the gas. "Where is the warehouse?"

It was a long drive, so along the way he asked, not actually wanting to know, what else had happened in my dream.

"Well. They have a lab. Everything shiny and new, in this little room. They strap her onto the table and bathe her. They make her pretty, shave her legs, trim her hair, dress her up in slinky black lingerie. Someone puts makeup on her while someone else gives her an injection of Morphine."

"One of the men wants her but they say no, not enough time, they have to start filming in a few minutes. The straps on the table are taken away and he helps put stiletto heels on her before she tries to stand. She's woozy because of the drugs and her ankle turns as she steps forward, but someone catches her."

"He is telling her about the movie they're making as they take her toward another room, saying she has to wait in her dressing room until the camera man is ready. She doesn't ask questions, just goes along quietly, smiling at nothing in particular. She asks him before he puts her into the box, if he can hear the voices and he glares at her. "Bitch" He shoves her inside the box and slams the door closed, sealing it tight."

"She looks around her cage and says something about glass houses and being stoned. The walls are clear. A metal bench on one corner gives a place to sit or lay down. The floor is some strange mesh that keeps catching her heels and twisting her ankle so she decides to take a nap."

"The men set up cameras at all angles around the box. Have you seen the Cell? Its like the box in that movie. The cameras are turned on and the men go into another room to watch the show."

"She wakes up and wiggles her toes. She is dreaming of sleeping by a lake, and that the fish keep nibbling at her feet. She stretches, yawning. The drug is mostly worn off though she feels a bit light and fuzzy still. Her arm flops over the side of the bench and floats beside her. She screams as she realizes the room is filling up with water. The lingerie clings wetly to her as she falls into the water, trying to swim to safety."

"She thinks she's still dreaming, that she is lost on a raft in the middle of the ocean and there are sharks circling. She can hear laughter and wonders who taught the sharks to speak. She screams and pounds her fist against one glass wall, begging to be let out before the sharks eat her."

"She realizes when she notices the cameras that it is not a dream. She remembers the man reflected in the window before the world went dark. She pounds harder at the glass walls, standing on her toes as the water reaches her chin. She swims back to the bench and stands on it so she is only in the water to her waist. She screams at them that she knows her rights and she gets her phone call, she's not a prostitute and they have no proof on her."

"The water gets higher and her sprained ankle twists again, slipping across the shiny surface of the bench. She falls into the water, hitting her head against the glass wall. She floats toward the ceiling as the water rises. The men laugh loudly, cheering and making bets."

The car stops suddenly and I look around. We've found the warehouse. Two vans and Charlotte's car are parked outside.

We jump out of the car and run inside, listening for water or screams. I throw open the door of the room where the guys should be watching the movies, but its empty. I can see her on the screens. She's floating naked in the water, slowly sinking toward the bottom. I yell to my friend and head into the room with the tank.

We find the lever to reverse the water, and manage to pry the door open. We're both swept away by the rush of water, but somehow manage to catch her. My friend starts CPR on her as I call 911. We hear the sirens just as she coughs up water. We've managed to save her but she doesn't wake up. We carry her outside to the ambulance and notice that the vans and our cars are gone, but it doesn't matter. We all crawl into the ambulance.

My friend glares at me the whole way, blaming me. I look away and say nothing. He hates when I have these dreams of things that happen. I don't know what it means, I think I see things that will happen sometimes. He thinks the things happen because I dream them. This is why we used to sleep together but never got into a relationship.

We ride to the hospital, sit together holding hands in the emergency waiting room, then eventually go into the private room they move her to, sometime later that day. Her lover comes and I kick him between the legs, never letting go of my friend's hand. He limps away saying its over, as if he's breaking up with me instead of her.

Eventually the nurse lets us into her room. We sit either side of her bed, watching her. My friend looks tired, worn out, so I send him home for a shower and a nap.

I curl up across her feet, watching the door.

I didn't tell my friend the entire dream. I dreamed of us rescuing her, but there's more. A man coming into the hospital room to unplug the machine that forces her to breathe, putting a kink into the IV line and injecting something into it. He wears a doctor's coat with an upside down badge. I know I will recognize him.

I was not there in the dream to stop him, but knowing he will come... I may be able to save her. Change it or something.

I hear footsteps coming down the hallway, slowing as they come to the door. I watch the handle turn, the door open. I look up, studying the white doctor's coat, looking for the badge.

I wake up, of course.

I wake up, stare at the ceiling, remembering the image of laying across her feet, wanting to protect her. I wonder Why...

I don't even like Charlotte.