What We Must Ch. 02

Story Info
Lockdown - revelations and changes.
6.4k words
4.64
15.9k
22

Part 2 of the 8 part series

Updated 09/22/2022
Created 01/03/2015
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
KemMyst
KemMyst
1,303 Followers

Dear Readers,

Chapter 2 of the McKenna pack. Enjoy,

KemMyst

*******

Both Devon and Duncan checked to assure themselves that their palm print and keypad code combinations were still active. Then, they finished bringing the last of the kitchen items inside the vault doors. The pack all stood and watched as the doors came home with a dull clang. Almost as one, they drew in a big breath, and released it. Devon turned to address them. "Alright, you know what this means. We're basically here until spring. Tomorrow, after breakfast, I'll explain to them what this is all about. Hopefully, we'll garner some sympathy from Terry and Amanda; I think Anne will require some additional arguments to convince her. Then, I intend on giving them a tour of the facilities, show them around, let them get used to the place. Just carry on with whatever you intend on doing tomorrow. Keep an eye out for them, and, if you can think of anything that would help, please, feel free to talk to them. They won't be locked in their rooms after this."

*****

They were confused by the change in direction for breakfast. He noticed Anne glance behind her, was she trying to figure out if there was a different way out? Probably.

Breakfast was eaten and, as the table was being cleared, Devon addressed the three women. "Ladies, I've told you my name is Devon and you know the names of the other members of the McKenna pack."

"Pack? What kind of place are you running here?"

"Anne is aware of what we are but you two are not." (Wait, how did he know her name? She closed her eyes. Damn, they found her truck. But where was it now?) Devon noticed Anne's reaction to her name. "Let me show you." He stood, dropped his pants to the floor, and changed to wolf. He circled the room once, pausing as he passed by each of them, so they would know it wasn't some hallucination. Returning to a spot before them, he shifted back to his human form. He swept his hand towards the others. "We, all of us, are werewolves. And our kind is dying." He let that sink in for a moment.

"The council has decided, in order to assure our survival, to institute an edict, a decree."

"Under this condition, the Alpha of each pack is compelled to take three human women, make them werewolves, and mate with them. In this way, we hope to increase our numbers, and reverse the loss of many of our women. At this time, I've instituted a lockdown of the pack. We're behind the vault doors you have all seen, and won't go back out until spring."

Terry looked at him, wide-eyed, and Amanda burst into tears. Anne looked inward, reassessing, she'd have to figure out another way to get away from them now.

"I know you have questions. Please, ask them."

Terry's voice was a bit high pitched. "So, we'll never leave here?"

Devon took a deep breath. "No. You'll become werewolves, part of our pack."

"Will we be able to do the things you can do?"

"You will be able to change form and your senses will be heightened. But, there were differences between born werewolves and made werewolves. You won't be as strong as us or be able to heal as easily. You will live longer."

"Why did you choose us?"

"We all have different skills. I do carpentry, William is adept at brewing, Marcus does planning, math, Abigail is agriculture. You were chosen for your skills and profession, to make up for gaps in our knowledge."

Anne looked to him. "And, me?"

"You just happened to be in the right place at the right time. It's a happy circumstance for us that you are a scientist."

"You were wolves when you found me and it wasn't the full moon, closer to the new moon. What else about the lycanthrope legends is wrong?"

There was no reason not to tell her. "We don't lose our reason when we change; we aren't beasts. We can shift shape at any time but we have better control around the time of the new moon. We aren't telepathic. We aren't immortal, but we live longer than humans. We stay away from you as much as possible, mostly because we have been hunted in the past. And it doesn't take a silver bullet to kill us."

"You said there was a council. That means that there are other women being kidnapped, changed, taken against their will, somewhere else?"

"Yes." She was quick, understanding many of the ramifications of the edict with the barest information.

"So, what's been happening? Why are you dying out?"

"A few years ago we were 40 strong but our women started dying, most before the age of maturity. It's been happening in the other packs as well. My pack was now who you see before you. And fewer and fewer female pups are born. Now, practically none, now, only stillborn. As you can see, we have no young around."

"Sounds like it could be a virus or something. How do you know this will work? How do you know we won't be affected, too? How do you know you males aren't also adversely affected by this virus and, therefore, responsible for the reduction in female young?" She had a keen mind. He was glad he'd brought her into the pack but, because of this, it was also likely she'd be more difficult to deal with.

"We don't know. We're only doing what you would do in our place. Trying to keep our kind alive."

He took them on a tour of the building. Amanda finally stopped crying but she sniffled and her eyes were red. They were surprised at the expanse of the facility. They were shown the game/entertainment area and then the Medical lab. Terry showed expected interest, pulling open drawers, looking at equipment. Anne checked things out a little more surreptitiously, unobtrusively watching as Terry looked around. She showed more interest, as she would be expected to, in the science lab. She looked through the equipment; there were a few chemicals. She'd have to make a more detailed survey later. Then there was the nursery, the shop, the storerooms. Back into the tunnels to the fish hatchery, the hot spring, the pools. Lastly, they were shown where the others were rooming. "I want you to feel free to look around and, if something interests you or you have a hobby you wish to pursue, to let us know. We'll do what we can to get supplies or show you where they are. Ask any of us any question you wish, I've asked the others to answer and help you get acclimated and comfortable here."

He glanced at Anne. Saw the question in her eyes. Shook his head.

It was like he knew what she was thinking. She'd have to do a better job of hiding her intentions. While the other two wandered off, talking about their likes and hobbies, she walked off in another direction. Devon watched her walk away.

The others greeted her as she passed them. She simply nodded an acknowledgement.

She wandered the tunnels. She'd paid fairly close attention as they'd been led around, but she wanted to be sure of where things were, particularly in the back. He said the place started as a mine and there was generally more than one way into and out of a mine, in case of cave in. Maybe, just maybe, she could find the back way out. Or a side tunnel. Or an air shaft big enough for her to crawl out.

*****

He caught Marcus shortly after they broke up. Marcus had already seen Amanda and Terry walk by. "Where's your third?"

"She went back into the tunnels. Give her half an hour, no, an hour, then I want you to find out where she's gone. We don't want her to get lost back there."

"She doesn't really seem the type who'd get lost very easily."

"You're right. I don't think she is. But I'd also like everyone to keep an eye on her, without being too conspicuous, especially when she gets ahold of candles and a lighter. She's looking for a way to escape."

*******

OK, keep heading for the places back in the tunnel he showed you. Check some of the others, as far as I can without more light, to see if I can get an idea where they lead. Check the wind patterns, for anything blowing the other way. Also, the sooner they get used to me not being in sight for a period of time the more likely I'll have enough time to explore and maybe find another way out.

******

Both Devon and Marcus spread the word for the others to keep an eye on Anne. Nothing obtrusive, he just wanted to know if she went into the tunnels and how long she was spending there. They all agreed to try and watch out for her and went back to their tasks.

Marcus waited the full hour, perhaps a little more, then headed back into the tunnels. While her scent had diminished since she'd been brought to the pack, she was still relatively easy to follow. He noted that she'd been down a couple of the side tunnels, but found her next to the hot spring, contemplating the pool next to it. She jumped when she heard his voice.

"Hello, Anne. I was thinking of having a soak in the warm water, would you like to join me?"

He pulled open the weir that kept the hot water in its pool and it began to mix with the cool water in the pool below. There was a small underground stream that flowed into the pool, overflowed and went out the other side. She watched the process and saw him check the water temperature. "Good for tired muscles, or just to relax. William and Abbie and Jen and Kevin like to spend time here together, as well."

"So werewolves enjoy hot tubs?"

"In our wolf form we tend to do and enjoy the things wolves do. Running, hunting, lying in the grass under a warm sun. In our human form we enjoy the same things you do. Good food, certain scents and the feel of things, movies, books, a good story. Warm water." He dropped his clothing by the side of the pool and climbed in. He stood there and extended a hand to her. "C'mon in. Tell me about yourself."

She tried to look anywhere but at the naked 'man' in front of her. She shook her head. "Suit yourself." He sat down in the water and back against the backrest. "Aahh."

She glanced at him. At least now she couldn't see all of him and, in the half-light, focused on his face. He looked quite a bit like Devon and Duncan. "So you would be the younger brother?"

"Yes. Devon is eldest, Duncan shortly after. I'm the fifth of us."

"Sisters?"

"Yes."

"Where are they?"

"Sarah has mated into another pack. Our sister Julianne died of the virus many years ago."

"I'm sorry."

"Thank you."

A change of subject. "How long did it take to build all this?"

"Our father, Callum, had an aptitude for engineering..."

*****

She'd listened to the story of their father, how this place was built, other pack members now gone, and had settled for sitting on the edge of the pool with her feet dangling in the water. Just as he was about to finish what he'd been telling her a call came down the tunnel for lunch.

"Ooops!" He stood abruptly, and, as comfortable and relaxed as he'd been in the water, the blood had rushed to that part of his anatomy that she least wanted to see. She jumped and practically fell backward onto the floor. He made sure she hadn't hurt herself, closed the weir, and grabbed his pants, then her arm. "C'mon. Grandmother will skin us if we're late!"

*****

That afternoon she went to her room and brought out the rest of her clothing. Taking the bundle, she headed to the laundry area to wash them out, then hung them on the line to dry. Strange, she was missing a t-shirt. Must have left it in the pack.

She then wandered around the other rooms, checked out the medical lab. Amazing. They had some instruments, some rudimentary tools, and there was a locked cabinet marked, of course, 'Drugs'. She examined the door and latches, the lock. Hmm, no easy way in. She'd have to think of something else.

Then, into the science lab, checking the books, the microscope, the chemicals. There were electrical and electronic components as well. She sat with one of the books, looking over some simple circuitry. Others passed by every now and again, glancing in.

After dinner, she walked into the entertainment area. Spencer, Nick, and Sam were watching one of the more recent action films. Yelling at the actors, making comments, throwing popcorn, and generally being young men at a show. Abigail was reading a book on growing plants in pots; Lily was mending something; Devon and Duncan were playing a game of chess. All were wearing deerskin, some decorated, and the men were generally bare-chested. The wound on Devon's shoulder looked completely healed. Lily had fur-lined moccasins on; the rest were barefoot. Amanda was looking at the movies; Anne wandered over to look at the books. Finding one that interested her, she found a spare chair, threw her legs over the side, and began to read.

Devon was pleased to see she'd come into the room where most of them were; that she wasn't isolating herself from them. He was distracted enough that he didn't quite catch the import of Duncan's move and was checkmated 3 moves later. Duncan let out a cry of triumph and called for another game. Devon laughed and agreed. They switched sides and began again. Anne glanced at the board occasionally as she paged through the book. After the next game ended in stalemate, Devon called over to her. "Anne, do you play?"

"I fear I wouldn't be much of a challenge."

"Shall we see?"

She shook her head, going back to the book. "Another time."

After some time, they began wandering off to their rooms. Anne replaced the book and returned to hers. Devon got up to check on what she had been reading. Native plants of the region.

By the next day, they had begun to fall into their winter routines, checking for supplies for their projects, some setting up lists of things to do, checking equipment, stores. Anne looked through the pantry and began helping with meals. They found she liked baking and set her to making bread and biscuits.

That evening, Lily grabbed Devon and Duncan. "Have you decided how to go about changing them?"

"I thought I'd go to one each night. I don't think I could stomach all three of them at one time."

"That sounds reasonable. Let me know if you want me to help you, brother."

"The new moon is getting closer, Devon. You should probably start soon. We don't know how they'll take to the change."

He drew in a big breath, released it. "You're right, Grandmother. I'll start tomorrow night." As they turned to go about other business, they heard him muse. "I wonder what their blood will taste like."

*****

She stood beside the vault doors, contemplating the mechanism. There was an optical pad beside the door, about the size of a hand. Would it sound an alarm? The keypad, in standard number format, was next to it.

She finally made the decision and placed her palm on it. No alarm, but the pad glowed red. Who would have the access? Devon, of course. But there had to be some redundancy, in case he was incapacitated. Duncan, then, at least. Any of the others? She could work it into conversation somehow, would she get access after she was changed?

*****

He went to each of them, one a night, and bit them on the shoulder, drawing blood. Amanda and Terry whimpered and cried, and were found feverish the next morning. Amanda was at least ambulatory, but weak, and taking little food. Terry, however, appeared to be reacting badly. Fevered. Incoherent. By the middle of the next day, she was taken up to the medical lab and put in a bed there. Jen and Lily kept watch and tried to get a fever reducer into her. They kept sponging her down, switching to alcohol when the water didn't seem to help. Abigail came in to help and the women began to take shifts.

Devon checked in periodically to keep track of the changes.

Beth and Anne took charge of the meals and were maintaining a kettle of broth and tea for Amanda. The men helped. Sam seemed to have a flare for spices, seasoning both the meat and the vegetables. A tray of broth, bread, and tea were taken to Amanda before the rest settled down to eat. Jen and Abigail were taking a turn with Terry. Lily reported there was little change in her condition.

Most of the eyes at the table went to Anne. "What? You want me to say something?" She looked at Devon. "Does this change what you're going to do to me tonight?"

"No." He looked around the table. "It doesn't."

The meal was eaten in relative silence, the table cleared, and the dishes washed. She retreated to her room, waiting for him to come. She hadn't found a way out, and not for lack of trying, and there was nowhere in the complex that they couldn't find her, sooner or later. Was there anything she wanted to do in her last minutes as a human being? Except for being outside, she couldn't think of a thing. So, she waited.

He waited to change her last, hoping that, as the new moon approached, it would be easier for him to control his wolf. But, her scent was increasing again, and something ancient in his body stirred. His wolf wanted her. His wolf was simmering. His wolf wanted to claim her.

He came into the room with antiseptic and a clean cloth. "I'm sorry. I didn't want to do this." He kept saying that. She thought that, as the leader, he shouldn't be apologizing. Wouldn't he want to appear stronger than that? She looked at him, not saying a word. He took another breath. "Right or left?" Now she looked confused. "Right or left shoulder?"

"Oh, um, left, I guess." He pulled up her shirtsleeve and wiped the area down. "It's best if you sit on the bed." She got up from the chair and sat on the edge of the bed. He climbed on behind her and she tensed up. He pulled her back into his arms and, her chest heaving, she fought him.

"Stop! If I hold you tightly you can't pull away and I won't rip your arm up." She stopped struggling, though her chest heaved, as he straddled her hips and his arms tightened around her. His left hand brushed her right breast as he took her right shoulder with his left hand. The warmth and feel of a man's strong arms around her had that nipple standing at attention now and she silently cursed her body's reaction to him. Even worse, as tightly as he was holding her, she could feel his erection against her backside. Before he lost his nerve he summoned up his beast. She felt the change in the body holding her, saw the fur appear on his arms. He put his jaws around her triceps, and bit down, until he tasted blood. Anne winced, but did not make a sound.

She shuddered slightly as he licked the wound clean. Then she felt the change in the body behind her again and he slowly released his hold on her. "Sleep would probably be best now." He climbed off the bed to look at her face again. She nodded and he left the room, closing the door behind him.

He went back to his room, licking his lips, and replaying the taste of her blood in his mouth. It was different from Amanda and Terry's, sweet, like dessert. The taste of the hormones in her blood was intoxicating.

*****

The next morning, Devon sent Duncan to check on Amanda and Terry while he headed to Anne's room. Knocking at the door, he got no answer. He called to her, still nothing. He turned the knob and started to push the door open. While it shifted slightly, the door did not open. Something was in the way. Now afraid of what may have happened he yelled for his brother, "Duncan!"

Duncan came running at the sound of his brother's voice. Some of the others, awake and hearing the shout, started to dress or head in that direction as well.

"Devon, what is it?"

"Something's blocking the door; help me get it open." They put their shoulders to the door and shoved at it, several times, until they heard something splinter and the door opened further before wedging again. Devon pushed his body through the opening and turned on the light.

With no lock on the inside, she had wedged a chair under the knob. He looked around the room for her as Duncan squeezed inside. The bed was a shambles; she'd pulled it apart. He found her, in a corner behind the dresser, with everything from the bed pulled up around her. She was sitting there, asleep or unconscious. Her hair was plastered to her head and he could see the sweat on her face, heard her quick, fevered breathing. As Duncan removed the obstruction from the doorway, Devon pulled her coverings from her. Releasing a held breath, he picked up her naked body. "I'm taking her up to Medical."

KemMyst
KemMyst
1,303 Followers
12