When Worlds Collide Ch. 03

Story Info
Fighting & loving.
5.7k words
4.76
12.9k
15
Story does not have any tags

Part 3 of the 5 part series

Updated 09/22/2022
Created 07/05/2010
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
c8er2u
c8er2u
180 Followers

Author's Note: Another installment with more to come! Remember my lovelies; vote, comment all that good stuff! :)

May 17th 1962

Eva and Cora had to have been about six years old when Wilbur got promoted to supervisor. It came after there was a huge explosion in the plant that nearly killed seven people. Wait, I know how that sounds and believe me it wasn't his fault; Willie wasn't even there but it wasn't until the dust had settled and management started actually talkin to folks, they found out my husband was the only person round there with any sense. They told him, "You can fix this place up in a month you'll be runnin it by the end of the year."

After three weeks the place was runnin better than it had ever been and it was all because of my husband and the best part was that with his new position I didn't have to work no more and could stay home with my children. MY children, not nobody else's. I got to spend the time with my babies that I had to deprive my older ones of because of finances. I know I did my best to make sure they were taken care of and loved, but it ain't the same with someone else takin care of your children. Now I knew they'd each get the individual love they deserved from me.

My girls were my pride and joy. They'd both just turned six years old and the two of them were like night and day. Cora was just sunshine, energetic and fearless. She had more energy than I sometimes knew what to do with. It seem like every time I turned my back for more than ten seconds she was leaping from somewhere. Off the chesterfield, off the table, off shelves. She had absolutely no fear in her and as much as it scared me, I knew it would only make her a stronger woman. I walked a fine line with her. On the one hand I didn't want to discourage her and make her fearful of life but there were certain things her curious mind shouldn't explore. Certain dangerous things.

That's why I was so blessed to have Eva. She was the one thing to counter balance Cora, the way the moon balances the sun. She was that calming voice that could soothe Cora when she would reach her hysterics and no one else could get through to her. Eva was love. Plain and simple. Just pure love.

I remember a specific time I was in the kitchen cooking supper and watching the two of them through the back window. I remember I was shellin peas in the sink; my hands working all on their own seemed like. Cora and Eva were out in the yard playin. Now Cora, was just running around the yard like a terror, climbin that old fence and jumpin' straight off. Fearless. I'd tried to stop her too many times to run out there again. Figured she'll learn when she hurts something.

Eva though, was weeding the grass, carefully pulling up the weeds that had no business in the backyard and gently replanting them just outside the fence. That was her, so loving and gentle. So careful to make sure she picked up the weeds in the skirt of her pretty little dress and piling them outside the fence for replanting. In a little while, she'll ask for some water for the weeds to help them grow. I remember I asked her once why she did that. Why she went through all the trouble of replanting them weeds and do you know what she said?

"Just because we don't want them, doesn't mean they shouldn't get love."

I just stared at my little angel wise well beyond her now six years in awe. I stared at her so long I almost missed Cora, who'd climbed that big oak tree in the back yard way higher than I would have allowed and leapt. She didn't hesitate, didn't pause just jumped. And when she hit the ground I ran for the back door. I just knew she'd broken her neck or worse, but when I reached that door what I saw stopped me. Cora had skinned her knee, miraculously that was all she'd hurt. And Eva was there right beside her wiping her tears. She took the hem of her dress and she wiped the dirt and blood out of Cora's cut, staining her favourite dress and thought nothing of it. She was talking to her too, telling her it's okay, soothing her. Then she helped her up and brought her to the house.

I stood there frozen, because I realized that God had sent an angel to my family. Had sent a guardian angel to my little Cora.

"It's okay mama, she's okay mama! You don't have to cry!"

I heard her say as they passed me in the doorway. I held up my hands to my face and felt the tears brush past my fingertips. I'd never even felt them fall.

November 2nd 2004

"Don't you think you've had enough?"

Reign looked over her shoulder in Caiden's direction and he felt his stomach flip flop. He swallowed the chicken he was chewing and grinned at her. He couldn't identify this feeling that crept from his heart and flowed through every fibre of his being whenever he looked at her. It was completely unlike any feeling he'd ever felt. He had an idea, but refused to believe it could possibly be what he suspected. Not after a month of knowing each other, it just wasn't possible.

"My stomach is a bottomless pit, you should know this by now!" he said smiling at her. She turned off the burner for the stir fry she was cooking and moved the wok to the middle of the stove. She checked the small casserole she had in the oven and Caiden's eyes were glued to the curve of her generous backside as she tested the consistency of her food.

"My eyes are up here cowboy," she said in an exaggerated southern drawl. He felt himself twitch and tried to discretely adjust himself when she turned her attention back to the stove, checking her rice. They'd fallen into a routine, the two of them. Actually it was the three of them. It turned out it really wasn't a stretch for her to understand. It actually didn't need any explanation, she just accepted it for what it was; Calvin was his brother. Blood couldn't bring them any closer. In fact, when they'd tried to explain she held up her hand to stop them.

"It's 2004; you say that's your brother, that's your brother."

And that was the end of that. The three of them became the new three musketeers so to speak. In her free time if she wasn't studying or working she was hanging out with them. They'd gotten together and sprung for a couch to put in her living room and from them on it seemed they were permanently attached to it. They moved the tiny TV into the living room and that was that. The dorms, they'd said, were tiny cubes too small for one, let alone two people to share. Her apartment wasn't too much bigger, but they never told her that. Besides, as long as they pitched in for groceries she cooked. And they both soon found out that in the kitchen, there really wasn't anything she couldn't do. She was an expert with the soul food but she also brought some things to the table they hadn't even heard of before.

"What the hell is Risotto?" Caiden asked as they travelled the aisles of Food Mart. She just smiled and picked up a huge bag of rice.

Even now, as he finished yesterday's left over chicken his stomach rumbled for whatever it is she decided to cook. It smelled divine, and he knew Calvin was going to regret his trip to New York. Okay, maybe not, New York is epic, but he'll sure as hell regret missing out on this meal.

Her phone rang and she looked at the caller id before answering. He saw her face flash with worry and she hurriedly answered it. He knew she hadn't heard from her friend Dylan in a month. Their last conversation had been strained to say the least. Now all he saw was raw apprehension on her face and it gripped him in a way he was unprepared for.

"Dylan? Slow down please! What's going on?

He had a déjà vu moment and watched her closely. The last time this happened he almost had a phone flying at his face.

"Dylan where the hell are you? You're not in queens anymore? What the hell is going on?"

She fell silent and a look of horror crossed her face. She backed up to the wall and slowly slid down. He was next to her before he even knew he'd left his chair.

"Sweetheart what's wrong?" he asked, taking her free hand in his.

"Oh Dylan no!" She whispered brokenly. Tears had begun to slide down her cheeks and he wiped them away waiting. How did this happen? They were just about to eat dinner together, they were laughing, now she was in the floor crying. He was so confused, but he held her, on the floor of her kitchen and waited for her to let him in. Suddenly she bolted up from the floor.

"Did he leave?" she asked desperation clear in her voice.

"Okay, baby girl I'm coming to get you. You get out of there as soon as you can. Don't worry about grabbing your clothes or anything we're coming to get you, okay? You get out of there and you get to a public place, to a gas station, a diner, anything just get away from that place okay? I love you honey, just hold on until I get there okay? Okay?"

She was already pulling on her boots. He turned to the stove and turned everything off. When he turned back to her she was frantically pulling on her pea coat and was on her way out the door when he stopped her.

"What are you doing?" she screeched wrenching her arm out of his grasp

"I'm just wondering what the hell is going on?" he asked, his hand on her front door blocking her exit.

"I don't have time for this Caiden! He's going to kill her! I have to get to her!"

Her words stopped him dead. He grabbed her by the shoulders and shook her once. Her expression changed from angry to slightly scared.

"Who's going to kill who?

"Dylan," she whispered, completely distraught.

"He's going to kill Dylan!"

***************

They had run full speed to the dorms, where Calvin had parked his dilapidated pickup truck while he was away. The keys were in the visor, because he knew without a doubt that no one would steal a piece of junk like this.

Reign didn't even have her door closed when he tore out of the parking lot, tires squealing. She'd printed off directions to the grimy motel Dylan was at in Chicago. Chicago. The girl was in Chicago for months and never told Reign. Said she was working reception at a law firm downtown but that was a lie. As they drove she told him everything Dylan told her. How she'd been a stripper, working out of state for a good eight months to keep it from her family. How when she met this guy, Gregory she told Reign he was the nicest guy she'd ever met and didn't want to mess things up with him. Said she fell in love with him, just days after meeting him. Reign wasn't fooled and when she met this Gregory person face to face she knew why. He was just another no good for nothing piece of shit, down and out hustler. Someone she wouldn't spare a backwards glance at.

But yet Dylan followed him to Rochester, New Jersey, Bangor, back to Hoboken, Providence, Harrisburg, Cleveland and finally Chicago. Leaving in her wake a trail of lingerie, perfume, singles, high heels and countless broken promises. When she'd called the first time they were back in queens, in the apartment she and Reign used to share together and they'd just had yet another fight. This time was even more physical than the last though when he threw an empty suitcase at her head and the handle left a gash an inch long that bled profusely. Then he beat her on the living room floor for getting blood on their couch. The couch that Reign had bought. With her tips that she'd saved for months, working at the diner by their old high school. Waiting tables didn't pay as well as stripping, but at least her clothes stayed on.

Now though, it seemed he'd gone too far. Dylan was working in a club in Chicago, when Gregory walked in with a group of men Dylan had never seen before. When he spotted her he called her over to their private booth in the VIP, and that's where things changed. She danced for them, let them touch a bit, but when one of them unzipped his pants she backed up to the curtain shaking her head no. She tried to gesture to Gregory but his face was a stone mask as he told her to get on her knees. She turned and ran from the booth to the back room. She knew they were hot on her heels but prayed a bouncer would stop them. She didn't stop until she got to her little locker. She checked her garters and stockings and counted how much she'd made. $375. She changed into her jeans and a hoodie and snuck out the back door, never once looking back. She checked into a motel for the night and thought she was safe until 5am that morning when Gregory broke into her room. He kicked the door down ripping her out of her sleep and bringing fresh terror to the forefront. She bolted to the bathroom, her phone in hand and just made it before he did slamming the door in his face and locking it. She fell to the floor and braced her legs against the door as he pummelled it from the other side.

Caiden was absolutely fuming mad. That old rage that had been dormant was awakening again as Reign recounted Dylan's story. His knuckles were completely white on the steering wheel and his foot never once came off the gas pedal. It was a seven hour drive that they were most likely going to make in just over four. A mixture of fear and rage propelled them forward, both praying to God they made it in time.

Caiden didn't know what he was going to do when he got there. Didn't know what was going to happen, but he knew he had to stay in control of himself. He couldn't loose his control. He had to stay as close to calm as he could get, and keep those memories out of his mind. It was taking everything in him to keep those thoughts away, even now. He had too much on the line to loose control. He chanced a glance over to Reign and realized just how much was at stake.

******************

When they finally reached Chicago it was close to two in the morning. Although they made good time and sped the whole way it took them five and a half hours to get there. Now they were just looking for her hotel. They found it on the seedier side of town, where the spirit of the city was closer to shattered.

They pulled into the parking lot and Caiden didn't even have the truck in park before he was climbing out the cab. Reign reached over and turned the truck off.

"Stay here," he stated rounding the back of the truck. He grabbed the shotgun off the flatbed and checked to see if it was loaded.

'In and out Caiden. Grab the girl and you're out of there. In and out,' he thought to himself. He repeated it over and over, his momentary mantra. He looked at the box of ammo and thought better of it. The last thing he needed was a murder rap on his head. In and out, he just needed to be quick about it. He grabbed the tire iron and rounded the truck to the passenger side window.

"Oh my God Caiden!" she gasped as she caught sight of the shotgun.

"Don't worry, it's just for show, I'm not actually gonna use it. Now listen, I need you to let Dylan know I'm coming okay? Send her a text message or something I'm goin up there by myself and I want you to stay put in this car you hear me? No matter what you hear, don't you leave this truck!"

He stared into her watery brown eyes as he waited for her response. She shook her head and he continued.

"Alright sugar, I need you to stay calm. I don't know what these guys have on em so if you hear anything sound like a gun shot you call 911 immediately, you hear? I don't care if it's a truck backfirein you call 911. Matter fact, just dial the numbers out and have your thumb on the send so you can call the second you hear it okay?

She shook her head numbly and he turned towards the stairwell of the motel. He didn't need her to tell him the room number; he saw the room with the broken door. He settled the shotgun in his right hand and aimed it. One of the benefits of being a "redneck" was target practice. He knew his way around a shotgun. He loosened his grip on the tire iron slightly and then decided to just put it in his waist band. Just in case. He took the stairs two at a time and kept his eyes open as he neared the hotel room. He saw a figure emerge from the mangled doorway and everything seemed to move in slow motion. He started to run, shotgun in hand and saw the man turn as he brought the but of his gun down right on his forehead. He crumpled to the ground. He turned into the dingy motel room and saw two men inside. One was sitting on the bed, phone in hand when Caiden walked in. As soon as he saw Caiden he dropped his phone and started to reach for something. Whatever it was, Caiden couldn't allow him to reach it. He grabbed the guy who was a lot smaller than he by the neck and wrestled him down on the bed. He saw what the man was going for when it reflected the dim overhead light off the long blade. Caiden felt his rage boil over and with one punch the man was out cold. He looked up and saw who he assumed to be Gregory leaning against what had to be the bathroom door. He straightened, shotgun once again in hand and walked around the bed.

"Who the fuck are you?" he asked.

Caiden didn't answer; instead he checked the bullets in the gun and made a show of cocking it again.

"Umma give you bout five seconds to get away from that door. Even less to let that young woman you got trapped in there out."

He levelled him with a stare and made sure he kept his back to the wall, and an eye on the doorway.

"What, you gonna shoot me?" Gregory asked chuckling.

Caiden considered it, he really did. This was the lowest type of man in his books. Type to lay his hands on a woman didn't deserve his mercy. Memories flashed involuntarily in his mind and he tried his best to block them out.

"Probably not, but I can promise you one thing; you will not leave this room in one piece."

Gregory tried to chuckle, tried to act as though he weren't scared but couldn't hide it. Caiden dropped the shotgun on the floor beside him and squared off.

"Come on you son of a bitch, you wanna fight somebody? Come on! Fight me!" he yelled.

Gregory smirked for a brief moment before he ran at him. Caiden watched with detachment as Gregory hauled back and swung. He dodged it at he last second and allowed the momentum of his swing to bring him right down on his knee. He watched the breath escape from his lungs and he threw him against the wall.

"You think you tough huh?" he asked punching him square on the jaw knocking him back to the floor.

"You like beatin on defenceless women huh? Huh motherfucker? You think that makes you a man? You aint' shit you hear? Don't you ever even think about raising your hand to her or any woman again!"

Someone was pulling his arms back and he realized he'd been punctuating each word with a sound punch. Gregory's face was a bloody swollen mess and it looked like he'd been knocked unconscious a long time ago. He looked over his shoulder to see a tall dark beauty with a split lip pulling on his now bloody t shirt.

"Please stop," she almost whispered.

He looked back down at Gregory, a mass of mangled body parts on the floor and wondered just how long he'd been hitting him. He looked down at his hands and when he saw the blood there he felt panic begin to rise.

"It's okay," she said calmly ushering him into the bathroom. "It's okay, wash your hands and then we gotta go."

She opened the taps and led his hands under the stream of the water. He looked over at her as if he was seeing her for the first time and willed those memories away again.

"Dylan? You okay?"

She tried to smile but her lip was swollen and bleeding so she settled for a grin.

"Yeah, I am. Thanks to you-"

She was interrupted by a loud bang that came from the parking lot. He snatched his hands from the water and tore out of the room.

"C'mon!" He hollered over his shoulder. "We gotta get outta here! Make sure Reign is okay!"

Dylan was right behind him, a backpack slung over her shoulder as they ran down the steps to the parking lot. As soon as he entered the lot, what he saw gave him pause.

c8er2u
c8er2u
180 Followers
12