Wilmington Woman's Club Ch. 38

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I'll do that, Marty."

"Shit, Roger, here I thought you were bringing me some good news... aw, fuck it! See what you can find out, huh?"

"Sure Marty. I'll do my best."

****

Marty stayed to himself through most of the holiday weekend, only leaving his cell to eat. There was no call from Roger about Gloria.

On the second of June, he was in his cell with his mattress pulled against the wall leaving room for several inmates to sit in his cell and play cards through the bars while the others sat in the narrow walkway just outside the cell. The card game was a not a normal event, but something the guards permitted before the "Lights out" call sounded. There were several such games in process when a fight broke out; and that was when the so-called Memorial Day riot began.

Marty was never sure if it was staged or not. Probably not, he reasoned later, but it was contagious, and soon others began fighting. They had no justification other than it was a brief respite from the tedium of the daily routine. But it was a holiday, and the guards made a serious mistake in trying to quell the melee without sufficient manpower. They left the wing door unguarded momentarily, and were quickly overpowered by the prisoners who seized the riot guns in the guard quarters.

On realizing they had control of the wing, the leader, a Black Muslim, and multiple murderer appropriately named Shank, had two prisoners don guard uniforms and tricked a sleepy-eyed guard into opening the door to the adjunct wing, which they soon controlled. By this time the rest of the guards knew what was happening, and had sealed off the remaining parts of the prison. But other inmates had already gained control of Section D, which led to the Yard through two short tunnels, and the central control room.

They also took twenty-two officers and civilians hostage, and after several hours of a stand-off, they aired the first list of grievances to be met before their surrender. In a facility designed to hold 1,200 inmates and actually housing 2,225, theirs was a substantial list. They felt that they had been illegally denied rights and conditions to which they were entitled, illustrated by such practices as being allowed only one shower per week and one roll of toilet paper per person per month.

The following day the situation was further complicated by the Governor's refusal to come to the scene and meet with the inmates. Negotiations broke down and the warden told the inmates he was unable to negotiate with them anymore, and ordered them to give themselves up. He later called the Governor and again begged him to come to the prison to calm the riot. After the governor's refusal, the warden said he would order the State Police and National Guard to retake the facility by force. The Governor agreed with the wardens decision. This agreement would be later criticized by a commission created to study the riot and the aftermath.

It wasn't only the Muslims running riot. The Aryans and Hispanics were at the forefront, working side-by-side with Shank and his comrades.

It is worth noting that one particular group of Muslims risked their lives protecting the hostages in their area, a fact conveniently overlooked by the prison guards after the riot was quelled. At that time,allMuslim inmates were singled out for "special" brutal treatment by troopers and corrections officers because the Muslims had played such a large role during the four days before the retaking of the prison by the authorities.

A day and a night passed. National Guardsmen were now stationed outside the wings awaiting orders to attack. But the warden held off, fearing the captive guards would be endangered. One guard tried to escape and was shot dead by one of Shank's men.

Things got worse. Prisoners set fire to several mattresses, found several more weapons, and began firing them at any guards that came within 100 feet of the wings in their control. Two guards were wounded, although not critically, in that skirmish. After that did the State begin negotiating with the prisoners.

Marty was one of many who refused to take part, but sat on his haunches in his open cell door, watching the action around him only venturing out to scavenge food from time to time.

It was during one of these forays that Marty staved off what was intended as a public execution of a prison guard because the negotiations had broken down.

The guard's name was Horace Walpole, a 51 year-old white male, who was one of the first guards taken hostage. Walpole would later testify that he was captured "during a tidal wave of human emotion."

Walpole was in charge of the sheet metal shop, and had a good rapport with most of the inmates who worked under him. Because of this, they protected him from the overly militant group. But eventually he came under the control of the extreme Muslims led by Shank, and found himself in the center of the Yard with several other hostages.

Shank allowed Walpole to be interviewed by the media along with Marvin Miller, another guard. Both men conveyed the inmates demands and stated that they had not been harmed, although both men were blindfolded at the time.

Primarily because of all the attention the media was giving the situation the authorities agreed to several demands over the next two days, but refused to consider amnesty for those responsible for taking over the prison and killing, or harming prison personel and other prisoners who may have resisted the takeover.

But on the fourth day of the riot, things went sour very quickly. Walpole may have sensed this the night before, which he later termed, "somber." He had written a farewell letter to his wife and children on dollar bills from his wallet. He stated that the hostages sat in a circle and leaned up against each other for support.

At ten that morning, Walpole, along with a few other hostages, was re-blindfolded, and brought to the top of a catwalk by three inmates and made to sit in a chair. An Aryan named Klaus Dorfner was on his left, hlding a knife to his throat. Marty was some twenty feet away trading some fruit for a supposedly meatloaf sandwich. What followed he would remember the rest of his life.

Shank caught everyone off guard when instead of renewing the negotiations, he shouted that they had had enough time and the public executions would now begin. Several things happened at once.

Klaus Dorfner slit the throat of a guard named Willis, and was moving to do the same to Walpole when a National Guard helicopter dropped several canisters of tear gas into the Yard. Marty used this diversion to rabbit-punch dorfner on the back of his neck. Dorfner spun around and slashed at Marty, but Marty had anticipated his move and avoided the knife. With Dorfner vulnerable to a quick response, Marty kicked him in the balls then threw him over the catwalk to the yard below.

When a volley of gunfire erupted from the Guardsmen and prison guards, Marty used Walpole as a shield to escape to a nearby office where they hid behind a upturned desk. Shank and three other Muslims were killed by the gunfire, and the nearby wounded Aryans quickly surrendered.

Later Walpole showed Marty the four bullet holes in the desk and said, "We're damn lucky to be alive." It was then that he saw that Marty had been hit twice, once in the thigh and once in the shoulder.

Still later, Walpole testified about the event, saying: "I don't know how long the shooting went on. You could hear people crying, people dying, and people screaming."

Marty never lost consciousness as he lay behind the desk. But when he became aware of a National Guardsman standing over him pointing a shotgun at his head. Marty was certain he was a dead man, and passed out as Walpole, screamed , "Don't shoot! I'm a guard!" And when the man turned the shotgun toward Marty, "No, no! He's one of us! He's one of us, and he saved my life!"

Since Marty was obviously wounded and unconcious, the guardsman held his fire, and waited for a higher authority to arrive on the scene. Marty was eventually taken by National Guard medics to St. Mathew's Hospital in Patterson for an extensive period of treatment involving multiple surgeries. When he was released, he was surprised to find that Horace walpole had gone to bat for him, and that the warden now viewed him an a more favorable light. For his own safety, he was sequestered from the Muslims and Aryans having taken part in the riot, and given a job in the infirmery where he was surrounded by guard personal.

Horace Walpole took special care to watch out for Marty's well being; even writing letters to the newspapers and the authorities who eventually came to believe his story of Marty's valor under fire. It was agreed that Marty's sentence be reduced to time served.

His release didn't happen overnight. Four more months passed before he was told his release was eminent. But it would be a year and a half before Marty would walk out of Rahway a free man.

12