Wolf Lake Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Gojenngo
Gojenngo
763 Followers

“Werewolves.” Nafarius finished for her.

“Yes, but I never believed in such things. My fascination was with the fact that most myths and legends had elements of truth to them. I would research a town’s history until I found the incident likely to have sparked such stories.”

“And now?”

Sam frowned. “Now I’m not so sure. You’re a man and obviously human. Roland could easily be a very large dog you trained to come and go at your command.”

Nafarius could see that even she was having a hard time digesting that. “You heard him speak.” Nafarius stood and looked down at her. “And are you so sure I’m human?”

Sam watched with something between horror and fascination as Nafarius slowly pulled his shirt out of his jeans. Gathering the material in his large hands he lifted his arms and let the material drop to the ground beside him. His chest was smooth, void of all hair, and covered with muscles.

His eyes locked on hers, Nafarius reached for the buttons on his jeans and pulled; one fierce tug and he was pushing them past his narrow hips.

“No.” Sam objected when she saw that he was wearing nothing underneath his jeans but it was too late. Already he stood before her completely naked. He was obviously comfortable with himself and why shouldn’t he be. He was gorgeous. His body was long and lean without an ounce of fat. His muscles rippled and flowed beneath his skin as he moved.

It took her a moment to realize that no one’s muscles should move like that. They seemed to be rearranging themselves, shifting beneath the skin and reforming. A moment later and Nafarius dropped to his hands and knees.

With his eyes still watching her his face narrowed and elongated, his hips and shoulders rolling back to form front and hindquarters while his back curved and arched. At the same time a small, stinging-like noise started to sound and Sam watched in absolute fascination as hair started to grow, covering his entire body.

Then there was silence.

Nafarius stretched, his claws making a clicking sound against the hard rocky ground and then shook himself like a big dog out of the bath. With what could only be described as a smile he sat back on his haunches and stared at her.

“Okay, so you’re not completely human.” Sam tilted her head and looked at him. Even in animal form he was beautiful. The hair covering his body had taken on more of a reddish tint and it was long and thick. Moving slowly she crawled across the clearing and knelt beside him.

Nafarius held himself completely still. He could see she was scared yet she dared to come closer. He wanted her to touch him; something deep inside of him needed the human in her to accept the animal in him. It wasn’t an emotion he allowed himself to feel often. Usually he avoided contact with humans outside of the packs but there was something about her that he longed to get near.

Slowly, her hand shaking, Sam reached out with her palm and placed it beneath his nose. She remembered once being told that if ever confronted with a strange dog always offer your hand palm up for them to sniff so that they could get use to your scent. Well, if it works with dogs it might work with a werewolf.

Nafarius lowered his head and sniffed, his senses instantly saturated with her scent. Closing his eyes, gone gold with the change, he let a low growl vibrate through his chest. Her scent was utterly feminine; she smelled of the outdoors and there lingered the scent of soap. But beneath that was her scent, a scent that he would always recognize as coming only from her.

Werewolves, in whatever form, had a distinct scent. It was the same with humans. Like DNA or fingerprints each one’s scent was uniquely their own. There were things one could do to cover or change their scent but a werewolf would always be able to catch the unique essence lingering beneath. There was no flower or fragrance to describe a person’s true scent but hers was somewhere between honey and lavender, sweet with a hint of musk.

Sam waited, her hand held perfectly still. Nafarius opened his eyes and looked at her. Slowly his mouth opened revealing a set of sharp canine teeth that would put any dog’s to shame. She was aware of the fact that he continued to watch her as his teeth parted and his long, pink tongue slipped out from between his teeth. Slowly, he licked her palm, covering his palate with the taste of her.

There was something erotic about the way his tongue played across her palm. It didn’t take long before her desire to touch him, to run her finger through his thick fur became too powerful to resist. Still holding her left hand out for him she reached up and slowly slid her fingers into the fur along his neck. It was thick but not as soft as she imagined it would be. Instead it was course like that of any animal living in the high mountains.

Nafarius shivered, his thick hair quivering as she continued to run her fingers through his fur. She had a delightful touch but it was torture at the same time. He wanted her, wanted to take her while still in animal form. He could smell the scent of her sex and his own hung hard and throbbing between his legs. He could have her; if he took her and made her one of them then she would be his. But he had seen the life that lived behind her eyes. It would be easy enough to let her go. Something told him that she would keep their secret and in fact make sure none others discovered them living among the mountains. Having decided to let her go he slowly started to move away from her.

“No.” Sam grabbed a hand full of his fur and tried to hold him still. He outweighed her by at least seventy pounds, all of it muscle and could easily rip her arm out of its socket. “Please.”

She had seen his desire, both in his eyes and his heavy manhood hanging between his legs and she wanted him. She wanted to know what it would feel like to be taken by such a creature, to feel that power and strength thrusting into her body.

“You don’tttt know whaaat you arrrre askingggg.”

“I think I do.” Sam let go of his fur, her hands moving to the buttons on her blouse.

“Noooo. Iffff youuuu do thisss you can nevvvverrr return to your hommmme.” More then anything he wanted her to stay. He had seen something in her, it was as if they were connected in some way but he wanted to make sure she knew exactly what she was setting herself up for.

“What if I don’t want to return?” Her words were little more than a whisper.

“Why wooould youuu want to stayyyy?”

Sam looked away. “My parents died when I was very young, I was an only child and I buried myself in my school work.”

“I’m sssorrry.” Nafarius felt the pain in her voice.

“I don’t need your sympathy. That isn’t why I’m asking to stay. It’s just that there is such a feeling of home and family here and that’s something I’ve never had. I’d like to be a part of this.” Sam took a deep breath and prepared to take the plunge. “And I know you want me.”

“Youuuu don’t undersssstand; the pack issss a fammmmily but it issssn’t eassssy.” There would be tests and trials ahead for her but he felt certain that she possessed the strength to see it through. Besides, he had his own selfish reasons for wanting her to stay. The time had come for him to chose a mate; unfortunately it had caused problems between the female members of his pack. Furthermore, he owed a duty to his pack members and that meant exploring the possibility of an alliance with another pack. The problem was no matter who he choose he would offend the other packs. The alternative was to pick someone else.

“It can’t be any harder than living alone.” Sam brought her hands up to her blouse and started slipping the buttons free. A moment later she saw Nafarius’ hands cover her own. The long, fur covered claws were gone; looking up she saw that he had once again returned to human form.

“There is much you need to know before you make this decision.”

“Like what?” Sam snapped; she couldn’t help it. The world around her had suddenly shifted; everything she thought she knew and believed in had changed. She was looking for a place to fit in with this new reality and she got the distinct feeling that perhaps Nafarius didn’t want her to find it with him and his pack.

“Like the fact that wolves mate for life.” Nafarius could see that she was surprised by this bit of news. “If you chose to join us, to mate with me or any member of the pack then you will never be allowed to leave.”

“I don’t want to leave, that’s what I’ve been trying to tell you.”

“There’s more; we’re hunters that prey on the weaker species in the forest. There is a hunger inside of us, always. Not just when the moon is full though that is when it is at its strongest. We crave the hunt, the chase and the kill. You will awaken something inside yourself that is not human. Men will fear you, you will be considered a monster and hunted for the rest of your life.”

“You’ve survived.”

“Yes, but it is never easy. I want to make sure you know these things before committing yourself.” Nafarius watched and waited. He held his breath; he could see that she was thinking about all the things he had said and he was afraid that she would chose to walk away. If she did he would be forced to let her go but it would cost him.

In answer to the question she saw Sam leaned forward and kissed him. Her lips brushed against his mouth once, twice before seeking entrance. A small moan escaped her as he took the kiss deeper, his tongue invading her mouth to explore her hidden depths. They knelt facing each other, their bodies bronze in the firelight. Sam wanted, need to get closer. Her hands slid up and over his chest before resting on his shoulders. Feeling the muscles quiver beneath the surface she tried to pull him closer.

“No.” Nafarius reached back and unclasped her hands from around his neck. “That isn’t how we do things around here.”

Sam looked at him, confused but willing to let him take the lead. She was the newcomer, an outsider that lacked the basic knowledge of how his pack lived.

“I must go; the moon is full and as leader I need to join my pack in their hunt. Tomorrow you will be introduced to the rest of the pack. You have until then to decide whether or not you want to go through with this.”

Sam watched him stand, still naked in the firelight and longed to have him cover her with his body. “I won’t change my mind.”

Nafarius ignored her comment. “There are things that I must do to prepare to make you my mate, should you decide to do so. In the meantime you may sleep in here.” Nafarius led her to the largest alcove located at the back of the cave. “These are my private quarters; you will be safe in here. Tomorrow I will send someone to explain what is expected of you.”

“Thank you.” Sam didn’t know what else to say. “Good night.”

“Sleep well.” With that Nafarius turned and made his way out of the mountain and into the clearing. He broke into a run and dropping down onto all fours he had completed his change and was in animal form before he reached the woods.

Sam watched from the entrance, marveling at the speed and grace with which he moved, before returning to the alcove. Lying down she curled up in the pile of blankets and fell asleep.

Late the next morning a petite blonde woke Sam with the offer of a bowl of stew. The rich smell was enough to remind her stomach that it had been several hours since she last ate. Smiling in embarrassment as her stomach growled Sam tipped the bowl up to her mouth and ate. She was surprised by the thick stew and rich flavor. For some reason she had assumed that the meals here would be primitive and plain.

Sam started to rise only to stop as the young woman spoke. “Nafarius requests that you remain in here. There are things that need to be done in order to prepare for tonight.”

“Am I not needed to help?” Sam didn’t like the idea of being kept away from the activities. She was curious but also she didn’t want to cause resentment among the others by not helping.

“Your part will come later and for that I guarantee you will need to rest and reserve your strength.” The blonde seemed genuinely concerned and that gave Sam pause.

“Does it hurt?” Her voice was barely above a whisper but the young woman had no trouble hearing.

“The first time is…difficult, but you needn’t worry about that. You won’t be changing for the first time tonight. Tonight Nafarius will make you one of us but it takes time for the…infection to move throughout your body.”

“How will he…infect me?” Sam was beginning to wonder if she shouldn’t have asked Nafarius these questions last night. She would rather have had him tell her what was in store for her than some stranger.

“Nafarius has asked someone to come and explain these things to you, I think you should wait until then.”

“You cannot tell me?”

“I was not given that honor.” The young woman stood and with a reassuring smile turned to leave.

“Wait,” Sam called out after her. “What is your name?”

“Maddie.”

“Thank you, Maddie.” Sam was left alone to finish her stew. When she was done eating she stood up and walked around the alcove. There were small niches in the wall that held everything from candles to clothes. She was curious about the man she was about to commit herself to for life and went around the room trying to get a better picture of the life she was about to enter. There was a small statutes tucked away in one niche making her think that this was a deity these people worshipped. There were other pieces of art some of which appeared to trace back to early Native Americans as well as recent news publications. That and the modern cut of his clothing led her to believe that these people mingled with the rest of society even if it was only long enough to acquire necessities.

Having finished exploring Sam settled back down amongst the pile of blankets and pillows with a book and read for the next few hours.

It was after six o’clock by her watch when Roland announced his presence and asked to enter.

“Of course.” Sam set the book aside and smiled up at the tall man. It was the first time she had seen him close up in human form and she was surprised to see that he was of Middle Eastern decent. Nothing in his appearance as a wolf would have indicated his heritage and she chided herself for making any sort of assumptions.

Roland stood just inside the alcove; his arms crossed in front of his massive chest and stared down at her. “I see you’ve made yourself comfortable.”

“What else was I suppose to do?” Sam couldn’t keep help the tone of her voice. For some reason Roland was able to push all of her buttons with only a few words.

He had nothing against the woman personally, Roland’s concern was for his leader and the trouble this female was sure to cause. The women within the pack were already resentful of the fact that Nafarius had chosen an outsider as a mate and the neighboring packs were sure to be offended. Nafarius was by far the most powerful leader in the area, as his mate this woman would acquire considerable power but she had yet to prove herself to the rest of the pack. There would be problems both from inside and outside of the pack. Nafarius had already been forced to defend against several challenges regarding this female.

“Nafarius sent me to see that you are prepared for this evening’s events. Is there anything you wish to know?”

Roland hadn’t relaxed his stance and Sam found his inquiry to be less than warm. Looking down she plucked nervously at the blanket covering her legs. “Well, Maddie mentioned that I would be…infected when I mate with Nafarius.”

Hearing the fear in her voice Roland finally relented. It wasn’t this woman’s fault. She had been at the wrong place at the wrong time. She was completely unaware of the power struggles taking place among the packs and the part she would play in them. Nafarius was using her for his own ends and while they were perhaps in the best interest of the pack Roland knew that he had selfish reasons for wanting this woman as well.

Moving to sit down beside her Roland spent the next few hours explaining what was expected of her and what she could expect. He was surprised when she asked intelligent questions that showed an obvious concern for the pack. More than once she remarked on the fact that she didn’t want to cause any unnecessary problems. By the time Maddie arrived to announce that the pack had gathered Sam was informed and while still obviously nervous seemed to have gathered some comfort from their conversation.

Roland took her arm and led her to the entrance of the cave. “Remember, the pack will be watching to see what kind of show of strength you can give them. You need to prove to them that you are strong enough to be their leader’s mate because they will be depending on your strength to protect them.”

“I will do my best.” Sam stepped out of the cave and caught her breath. There were at least a hundred men and women filling the clearing and overflowing into the trees. She hadn’t expected there to be this many. The cave seemed hardly big enough to house them all and she wondered where they all came from.

Roland started to put a reassuring hand on her shoulder but stopped when she stepped forward. It was obvious that she didn’t want the pack to see it as a sign of weakness.

Sam started to walk towards where she thought the center of the clearing would be. Instantly a path appeared, the men and women parting to show her the way. She was relieved when she finally made it to the center and found Nafarius waiting for her. Maddie also stood to one side and offered her a small smile of encouragement.

It wasn’t until Nafarius reached out his hand that Sam realized he had been hurt. He had a black eye and his upper lip had been split. “What happened to you?”

Nafarius smiled. “I told you I had to prepare for tonight.”

“By getting in a fight?” Sam’s curiosity was peaked by the small, embarrassed smile she saw playing at the corner of his lips.

“When one of us wishes to mate we must answer any challenges. It seems I’m not the only male in the pack that wanted you.” Nafarius hoped she wouldn’t ask any more questions. He was afraid that she would be upset by the fact that he had fought with several of the younger pack members. In truth very few of them actually believed they could beat him and win her as their mate but it was tradition that the male be made to fight for what he wants. As leader he had to suffer through twice as many challenges.

Sam just shook her head and smiled. “Men.”

In a blink of an eye the atmosphere surrounding the clearing changes. Nafarius noticeably grew tense; gone was the light, laughing smile and in its place was a fierce hunger. His eyes went dark and predatory.

Sam felt herself tense in response. Her body tightened and she felt a jolt of adrenalin enter her system. It would seem that her fight or flight response had kicked in. Like all animals humans still possessed the instinct that told them when they were in danger.

As she watched, Nafarius rolled his shoulders forward, his arms hanging loose at his sides and took a step towards her. Sam held her ground, waiting for the attack she knew was sure to come. In the next moment he was air born and headed straight for her.

Sam hesitated just long enough for him to mark his target and then moved to her left. Nafarius wasn’t expecting it and landed on the ground with Sam just inches out of reach. She was faster than he had anticipated and he hadn’t been expecting her to remain calm. He thought that she would panic at the sight of him moving from friend to foe and run but instead she continued to think logically. Nafarius smiled; she was going to be much more of a challenge that would only add to his enjoyment.

Sam watched as Nafarius assessed the situation and changed tactics. This time he didn’t jump for her but instead started moving slowing. Each step he took forced her to take one in retreat. He was stalking her, turning her into the prey.

Gojenngo
Gojenngo
763 Followers